• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis Report

Jeanette West

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, LaurenA said:

Does anyone know if a vulvoplasty requires hair removal?

That depends on your surgeon.  It is not as critical for vulvoplasty as it is for vaginoplasty.  Some surgeons will do a follicle scrape as part of the procedure, which removes almost all of the hair.  For vaginoplasty, "almost all" is not enough, and it is recommended that you have all hair removed from the area prior to the surgery.  For vulvoplasty, a few leftover hairs are not critical and can be dealt with later if necessary.

In my case (vulvoplasty), my surgeon did not require any permanent hair removal.  He removed hair from the appropriate areas with a follicle scrape. 

I did have to shave the area the night before.  The only issue I had with hair was that, from one to six weeks after the surgery, the re-growing hair felt like I had a porcupine in my pants!  Eventually, it grew out enough to be flexible and that problem went away.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeanette West

• Bri2020

• KatieP

• KathyLauren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, LaurenA said:

@Bri2020  What hotel do you stay in? 

I stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Wilmette.  I like having the kitchen and an ice machine in the room for icing down afterwards. Plus, I play the rewards game with Marriott and United so that helps on travel expenses. Last year with all the trips out there plus other travel I've gotten up to Platinum status with Marriott!  I'm going out for an extended trip over St Paddy's. I've got a son in the area so it will be fun to do the whole Chicago St paddy's thing before my electro.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, Bri2020 said:

Depending on where you are, a 60 minute session will cost $65-$130. (mine is $130 in DC area). The average person needs 200-400 hrs of treatments done in the traditional way done over 2-5 years.

I pay AU$180 (just under US$130) per hour session with my electrologist.  It seems like a fair price to pay for her decades of experience.

I'm one of the lucky ones in that I never had anything close to a full beard, very densely packed mustache hairs though.  I've completed no more than 60 hours of treatments and have very little visible (to the naked eye) facial hair remaining.  My hair regrowth rate started slowing down after about a 10 months of weekly appointments.  I'm now only getting work done every 2 to 3 weeks and filling in my hour appointments with eyebrow shaping, via electrolysis.

PS.  Having thin hair is a blessing for cost of electrolysis but it is a curse in relation to hair on my scalp.  I think I'd prefer to have thick and dark hair - laser hair removal would have been more effective and the hair on my head would look more feminine.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, Mara.something said:

I don't want to start a new thread for this, so I'm hopping in here with my electrolysis report...

It hurts!

I just finished my second session. First session was one hour and wasn't very bad at all. Second session was 90 minutes and it was worse. Not unbearable, but close to it. I've got another session next week and I bought some of the topical numbing agent to try and make that session go a bit smoother.

There were definitely moments where I was trying to convince myself that I could live with the facial hair. I'm already 51-years-old so I'll be dead someday and then who cares if I don't have facial hair.

But then my provider commented on how the lack of regrowth from my previous session was "amazing" and that gave me hope. I've been on hrt for six months, so maybe my hair growth is slowed down overall? I've noticed it has slowed on my arms and chest, but I didn't think my face would be affected.

Luckily my pain does not extend beyond the time of my appointment. I'm puffy for a day or two, but that is all.

Yes!!! It's very painful! I know it. You might want to look for clinics that offer Pain Management option, and when I say Pain Management I mean Oral Sedation, IV Hydration, Intravenous IV Deep Sedation, Lidocaine Injections. These are really good and they are new. I had to fly from NC all the way to Chicago, IL. I know that in Chicago are two clinics that people recommend most of the time. I did a lot of research on both. One is Precision Hair Removal and the other one is Electrolysis 100% Permanent. I didn't get any treatments from Precision but I had a great experience with Electrolysis 100% Permanent. 

I have tried to find out if there are such clinics all over the country and so far it seems the only ones are in Chicago. Does anyone know of other clinics in any other parts of the country that do these long sessions with sedation?

Recovering from my GRS I had with Dr. McGinn. She offers lidocaine injections, but I don't know if she'd do the dilute fentanyl drip as does Dr. Zukowski. Anyone interested may call, or if within a couple hour driving distance could make an appointment and drive over to enquire.