• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Labor Day Weekend - Bring Your Pet to Transpulse Forum

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I was over whelmed with the cute furry friends many of you shared today and I thought it would be a wonderful - bring your pet to forum day - doesn't have to be furry - just sharing your friends who give you unconditional love.

In my case my buddies have passed but they were with me nearly 15 years each. First was Sir Bear of Jac - a Springer Spaniel who came to me via one of my inspector's who's brother won him in a poker game at Lakeside Ohio AND he has AKC papers - he loved jumping up and getting the newspaper out of the paper slot and bringing it to me and showing me all the pheasants and groundhogs and deer in our woods. Then came Tucker, a tri-color setter that we got from a Springer Spaniel rescue service and he was skin and bones when we got him. Both have passed, both are cremated and in my nightstand waiting for the day I pass, am cremated, mixed with them and spread in the woods where we loved being as much as possible.

20200905_095507.jpg

20200905_095516.jpg

• Forum Moderator

We have a bunch of furry family.  Larkin is an 11 year old greyhound.  We got her when she was two and a half, after she retired from racing.  She is quite smart, when it suits her.  She sleeps 20 hours a day.

Larkin, the greyhound:

26418751688_ac44c493f2_b.jpg

We got Liesl as a kitten.  She is 15 now.  She was feral, living under the community hall, where she would have been traumatized by dances and community events in the hall above her.  She accepts my wife as her caregiver, but will not tolerate anyone else.

Liesl, an indoor tabby girl:

50310067772_d21a4d84d5_b.jpg

Erik is about 7 years old, we think.  He was found starving in a city a couple of hours from here and turned in to the SPCA, from which we adopted him.  My wife loves orange tabby boy cats, so as soon as she found out he was up for adoption, we had to drive to the city to get him.

Erik, an indoor orange tabby boy:

50309898106_a6a3e8534a_b.jpg

Clifford and Winkle came from an island off the coast of Newfoundland.  There was a whole colony of feral cats there, about 40 or 50, that mooched off the human inhabitants.  The human settlement was closed and the people moved off the island, and there were fears that the feral cats would starve.  So they were trapped and adopted out as pets, where possible, or as barn cats if not.  Ours were "barn cats.  But we house them in a guest house on our property, where they have heat and proper shelter.  They are free to roam in the daytime, but we lock them in at night for their own safety.  They are a bonded pair and go everywhere together.  They are totally adorable when they are together.

Clifford is about three.  Winkle is about two, and only has one eye.  Both are boys.

Clifford (left) and Winkle (right), our rescued feral boys:

50309230298_a83b27778b_b.jpg

Kathy, we rescued a greyhound many years ago.  He was with us for 13 years until he passed.  He was the most amazing, wonderful dog.

Meet Fiona Mae Applebottom.  SHe's been with us about 6 years now (this was a few years back). She's my "shop dog" and comes to the massage clinic and greets clients and let them love on her.  She can be a bit of a $*%& sometimes because she knows how cute she is.  She's a "Chug". Chihuahua pug mix.  She is also a great foster sister to the many dogs that come through our house for a brief time.  Here's she's snuggling with a neglected pitty/plot hound that came to us at only 25lbs and so weak we had to carry her.  She got adopted at 60lbs and in good health.

430240CE-B2AA-4A9F-9667-E3C635B6851F_1_105_c.jpeg

D8ED6AF2-0BAF-4D58-A72D-3268628F6863_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's Colby, our English Setter. We got him as a rescue 10 years ago, He somewhere around 11. He's a little bit of a lap dog and sticks to me like Velcro. He'll let us know whenever a leafs falls in the neighbors yard. Like me he would prefer a nice salad over steak. Some of his favorites things include sniffing our back yard after it rains and watching cartoons.

Then there's our youngest Gizmo. He just turned 1 yesterday. He's a Blue Merle Border Collie. Incredibly smart and full of life, he taught himself how to throw his toys around on his own. Although it's very entertaining to watch it can be quit noisy. He's also the gentlest kid I've ever had. I bump my nose to his to wake him up.

Colby.png

Gizmo scary.png

• Forum Moderator

@ElizabethStar when I saw your English setter Colby he reminded a lot of my boy Tucker. Tears now but tears of great memories.

• Forum Moderator

My wife’s wonderful service dog Zelda.  

Hugs,

Charlize

AE8C0967-CD56-428E-914A-28599E259352.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

Zelda is such a nice dog.  Loyal and friendly!  

@Charlize we need a photo of Casper!  Maybe with their "harem."

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Got a visit from my granddog Shadow today.....

20200906_151637.jpg

20200906_151909.jpg

• Forum Moderator

I am glad you do. Smiles are fun.

• Forum Moderator

Ah... Tuckered out. Nothing like a little dog nap.

• Forum Moderator

I was hoping for a fine feathered friend he is gorgeous.

We need to write some music together. I record and use Dropbox to share files.

15 hours ago, ElizabethStar said:

Then there's our youngest Gizmo. He just turned 1 yesterday. He's a Blue Merle Border Collie. Incredibly smart and full of life, he taught himself how to throw his toys around on his own. Although it's very entertaining to watch it can be quit noisy. He's also the gentlest kid I've ever had. I bump my nose to his to wake him up.

I love Gizmo! I also have a border collie. Mine is the traditional black and white version. 

Freya is my second border collie (so I knew what i was getting into). Like yours, so incredibly smart and full of energy. Makes up her own games and runs our household. She knows the meaning behind every sound in the house, from timers going off, coffee pots being picked up,  people moving around the house from one room to the next, doors opening,  keys being picked up etc... I swear she can even tell what's happening by the way I walk down the stairs in the morning (either weekend fun times or boring old work days). Every single event has some kind of game attached (one she made up herself) and she follows me everywhere.

2 hours ago, MaryMary said:

here's "Jaune". It's my cokatiel birdy friend. He's an expert thief of earrings and a destroyer of keyboards. Nature made him to destroy keyboard. He have a curved beak that is made to go under the buttons to then be able to remove them.

He also love to write songs and sings them to me when we spend time together

I grew up with birds and have had a few Cockatiels ( as well as a cockatoo, budgies, canaries, finches, Peach face love birds and quail). Cockatiels  are incredibly smart and make great companions. 

Apparently, my grandfather use to trap birds for sale - this was in the 1940/50s, so no laws in those days. My dad use to tell me how he would go out with his father and raid nests. They always took a quarrion (cockatiel) with them because the cockateil would call the birds in the area. When the quarrian made the correct call, they would stop and look for the birds and nests.

8 hours ago, Berni said:

Border Collie. Smarter than me. My best friend.

Yes they are.  Our first Border collie, like yours, was black and white.

• Forum Moderator

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you girls for sharing these incredible friends.

• Forum Moderator

Here is Casper who while never in the house is a wonderful working dog with a love the size of him.  We have several predators in our area that kill livestock. Casper lives with the goat herd and will let nothing threaten them. The coy wolf population of the area stays away from the herd.

he is a mixture of akbash and central Asian herding dogs.  Never he or any of his ancestors have lived in a home.  In this picture is is with my wife’s service dog Zelda.  They know each other well.  That protects her if she somehow was to get into a pasture with him. 
I guess all our animals on the farm are workers but they are also lovers.  Life would seem empty without them.

hugs,

Charlize

FBBFFEE3-AD18-4F74-8A72-79699C07D933.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for sharing that photo Charlize.  In all honesty I don't believe that angle shows the true size of Casper well as he is very large!  Such a beautiful dog. 

Here is Matty on the day I was packing to leave for Texas in July for my GCS! He is a 11 year old Maine Coon. My best friend!☺️☺️

CF6E65BC-B101-4C4D-B8E3-3C1D71A5F09B.jpeg