• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis Soon

Robin.C

@Erica Gabriel I am curious what was the reason (or reasons) that you concluded the person you saw was a trans-woman? Was she presenting openly-trans? The behavior, the walk, the voice, the way she talked, choice of clothes? Something else?

As someone hoping to be "stealth" one day I am looking for the most obvious things to avoid ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin.C

• Audrey

• Jani

• Ann W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Erica Gabriel said:

Out walks a lovely trans-woman out of her session and my flittery fluttery heart calmed down. The pain wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I can’t wait for my next session.

That's wonderful, Erica!  happy you had a successful first experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I just sent an email to a local  electrolysis business.  I'm surprised by how nervous I was.  It was my goal this week to contact someone about hair removal, so late Friday I'm sitting here with my finger hovering over the send button.  I think it's because it's another stranger I'm coming out to.  It's a little conservative where I live, but I figure if you have this kind of business, then you're no stranger to trans people.

There's a second place in town that's actually listed on this site, but it cost a tad more, and came in second with my intuition for some reason.

So, either way, I'll start somewhere soon if we're allowed.

@Ann WI hope you have found the courage to hit the send button on that email! I think you'll feel glad that you did, though I understand your hesitation all too well. Will they judge me because I'm trans? I remember my email to a local electrolysis clinic, it was not that long ago. I couldn't work up the courage to call them. I must have spent days researching places, trying to find the most trans-friendly one possible, then questioning whether they really were friendly. In the end, I did reach out to one place - and to my surprise, they not only emailed me back but they also called! I felt so reassured and accepted, and I even told them that and how much it meant to me. I have my first appointment next week. While I'm incredibly anxious to walk in the door, I'm also just as excited to start the process and end my battle with facial hair at last.

I'm hopeful you'll have a positive experience too. Wishing you the best, and I can't wait to hear!

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator

I remember making my first appointment and going in.  When asked why, I said I wanted it gone because I was transitioning.  She'd had a lot of transgender clients over the years so she didn't even bat an eyelid.  As its turned out we've become great friends.  Don't delay @Ann W.  It will be all right.  

Sadly a COVID cluster has put paid to my electrolysis for the rest of the year. I will have to wait until the new year to get back in.

This and a few things have seen me struggling to be positive in the lead up to Christmas, hence my lack of posts. I'm still looking but can't bring myself to post or communicate. I wonder if this is normal for early transition ?

Watched a few Jackie Rabbit videos and got a little bit of positivity back. Thank you Jackie.

We are also hitting the warm part of the year now. Already had a couple of days over 40 degrees (104 for my US friends). This weekend is all mid 30s (95 degrees), so going to spend it sitting in front of the fan with a cool drink ... who am I kidding, cuppa tea for this girl ?☕

Hugs

Robin

Aww thanks @Audrey & @Jani.  I did send that email, and as soon as I did I actually felt more confident.  I can see how coming out can gain momentum.  The hurdles look smaller when they're behind you.

She wrote a very nice note back saying she'd be happy to see me, but my state has locked down personal services again, so...No Electrolysis For You.

You know what that means, don't you?  It means throw out the plan, and turn my attention to HRT for the moment.  I had wanted to start on my facial hair first, but my head hair is thinning, so the race is on.

@Robin.C, I think a little of what you're talking about is normal early in transition.  That is if I'm at all normal...(uh oh).  It's a lot to adjust to, and my moods are like the waves.

@Ann W yes waves. You sort of get on a roll and feel good then slide down the other side of the wave and its not so good looking up at the next wave expecting it to dump you and instead you sort of float up the face of it as it lifts you along. Like bobbing in an ocean waiting to find solid land ?

Hugs

Robin

• Forum Moderator
10 hours ago, Ann W said:

The hurdles look smaller when they're behind you.

Yes, this!!  The more you jump over, the smaller they all look.  Pretty soon, you realize that the ones in front of you are no bigger than those little ones receding in the distance behind you.

• Forum Moderator

@Ann W I'm happy to read that you did send the message.  I understand that she cannot provide any service at this time.  This will turn around soon enough.  I'm glad you have turned your focus to HRT.  

As to looking back, when I joined the military and went to boot camp I swore I would not look back and say it wasn't that difficult, but you know what?  I do.  I am stronger because of it and you are stronger for the challenges you face too.  Press on!!

Jani

@Ann WI'm so happy to hear you sent your message and received such a positive reply! I'm hopeful you'll be able to move forward with your electrolysis once the COVID-19 limitations are relaxed in California. I'm half expecting the same thing to happen again here in NYC soon. I feel the frustration of the setback not to start when you'd like to, but turning to HRT is a wonderful way to keep the positive energy flowing.

Love,

~Audrey.

I started electrolysis last March and stopped soon after due to COVID. I am looking to  restart this spring. What I learned

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water, avoid diuretics; coffee, alcohol, etc... If you are on spiro  even more reason to drink more water, stay hydrated.

I had my very first electrolysis appointment earlier today, to start the long road to be rid of my facial hair. It went as well as I could have hoped! I definitely feel tenderness on the spot they worked on and discovered my pain threshold is pretty high. Above all, I felt welcome and accepted there and they used my preferred name and pronouns, which filled me with confidence and happiness. I was nearly moved to tears when the electrologist said she would help me on my journey to the face I wish to have. ?

Love,

~Audrey.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, Audrey said:

I had my very first electrolysis appointment earlier today, to start the long road to be rid of my facial hair. It went as well as I could have hoped! I definitely feel tenderness on the spot they worked on and discovered my pain threshold is pretty high. Above all, I felt welcome and accepted there and they used my preferred name and pronouns, which filled me with confidence and happiness. I was nearly moved to tears when the electrologist said she would help me on my journey to the face I wish to have. ?

Love,

~Audrey.

That's great news on all fronts.  I've gotten to really enjoy the time I have with my electrolysis tech.  She and i have a lot of fun listening to books on tape or talking shop (both of us own spas.). I don't enjoy the pain some days though. Some days my pain treatment regime works great, other days I can barely tolerate it.  Don't be afraid to tell yours if your having a bad day to just cut it short.  Hydration is so key. Without a really well hydrated follicle area, it takes more electricity to kill it and thus more painful.  If you aren't tolerating things you can get your Dr to write a prescription for a strong numbing cream. it would need to be specially compounded but lots of pharmacies will do that. Ask for benzocaine/tetracaine/lidocaine in 20%/6%/6% ratio.  It's not cheap. 8oz is $200 but that will work for about 40 hours of treatments.

I'm super excited for my next appointment.  I had to tap out on her working on my lip so I reached out to Kaiser/Dr and they hooked me up with a dermatologist who is going to do  nerve block injections for my upper lip and then I'm going to run over to get 90-120 minutes of work straight on just the lip.  I think she can clear the whole thing in that time. If it works well, I will do that once a month until all the or most of the stragglers are gone.  It sometimes sucks being a redhead.  Our hair shafts are the thickest of all the hair colors and we process pain differently (and resistant to pain numbing/anesthesia ). Combined it can be tough on hair removal some days.  

@Bri2020 Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions! Sorry to hear that your electrolysis has been especially painful but I'm sure it's been so worth it though. My doctor's offered to prescribe the numbing cream, but I haven't taken her up on the offer yet. I understand that electrolysis is much more painful when the bone is closer to the surface of the skin, like on the chin, jaw, and upper lip, so I might be changing my mind when we get there. The electrologist said that my facial hair was coming out "like butter" so I'm thinking that's a good thing. Five days after my first session, the area is still a little tender and red, but I do see that it's healing. Next appointment is after Christmas!

Love,

~Audrey.

1 hour ago, Audrey said:

@Bri2020 Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions! Sorry to hear that your electrolysis has been especially painful but I'm sure it's been so worth it though. My doctor's offered to prescribe the numbing cream, but I haven't taken her up on the offer yet. I understand that electrolysis is much more painful when the bone is closer to the surface of the skin, like on the chin, jaw, and upper lip, so I might be changing my mind when we get there. The electrologist said that my facial hair was coming out "like butter" so I'm thinking that's a good thing. Five days after my first session, the area is still a little tender and red, but I do see that it's healing. Next appointment is after Christmas!

Love,

~Audrey.

The tenderness gets less noticeable.  I use some cortisone cream for a few days after to reduce inflammation as well as a little vitamin E oil to help speed healing. I've been going once or twice a week for 90 minute sessions so it's a constant healing process. I know her biz will get shut down from Covid soon so I've been pushing hard.  I mostly notice the tenderness on my morning walks in the cold, the "wind chill" is much more noticeable. lol  Glad to hear yours is going smoothly.

Yes, it's worth it.  I've got almost 40 hours in and she's gotten most of my chin clear and my cheeks all the way down to the jaw line.  The areas she started on a while ago only have about 10% regrowth and the areas more recent have about 50%.  Shaving is so much easier and 5 o'clock shadow is much less noticeable. 

I just had my jaw and chin zapped this morning. My numbing cream still hasn’t arrived so I did it straight ?. It hurts but it’s manageable. I’m receiving Thermo from an experienced  woman.

I've looked into an electrolysis place in the Chicago area that offers packages that include a pre-facial, a doctor doing some sort of pain killer, a 15 hr session with 3 techs, followed by another facial.  They offer packages of one, two, and three sessions.  Has anyone done anything of this sort?  I have very thin and light hair on my face, never could grow a beard and barely a mustache.  How many sessions do you think I should contract for?  Of course this is all going to happen post-vaccine.

@LaurenA I wonder if you can make an appointment with the electrologist first for a consultation before committing? That way you'll get a better idea of how many sessions you might need to meet your goals. That's what I did. In fact, the consultation was free if I agreed to have the first session that day (which I did also). The place I'm going to lets you buy time with the electrologist by the hour, with more of discount if you buy more at once.

Secretly, I'm jealous of your light facial hair! Mine is everywhere and grows fast.

Love,

~Audrey.

1 hour ago, LaurenA said:

I've looked into an electrolysis place in the Chicago area that offers packages that include a pre-facial, a doctor doing some sort of pain killer, a 15 hr session with 3 techs, followed by another facial.  They offer packages of one, two, and three sessions.  Has anyone done anything of this sort?  I have very thin and light hair on my face, never could grow a beard and barely a mustache.  How many sessions do you think I should contract for?  Of course this is all going to happen post-vaccine.

basically the "average" to completely clear a full face/neck is between 200 and 400 hours.  Thats a huge variable, alot depends on technique, how full your beard is, thickness of the hair and pain tolerance.  The higher the pain tolerance the more current can be used and the better the chance of killing the follicle the first time around.  Toward the last half of your treatment plan they don't spend as much time in any one session because they are just getting the regrowth so they can clear larger areas since there isn't as much hair.  I've seen the place you are referring to and it basically comes out to $225/hr for their marathon sessions. Prices vary around the country from $50-$130/hr normally.  You would need a lot of recovery time from them because all the injections and that much treatment would create a LOT of swelling.  The interval could be spaced out to a month or more between sessions though.  I would try a less involved place for a 30 minute session to see how you do.  It might be less expensive. 

Thanks @Bri2020.  I guess my wanting to have it done "Right Now" may be affecting my judgement.  I haven't found anyplace locally in the Milwaukee area that does electrolysis.  Everything I've found so far is laser, and not specifically trans friendly to boot.  I figure if I have to travel to do this the marathon sessions would work out better.  As far as pain level, that's a crap shoot.  I've lived through an amputation and severe dental surgery.  I guess if the drugs are good enough I can take anything.