• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So secrets of being consistent.

Reverie_Star

So im very overweight. 330 lbs. So im just getting ready for transition. So I know weight loss is my biggest step. But I have been on this Rollercoaster for many years. So can anyone give me tips for staying on track. Things that work. Any hint you think might help me.

• Forum Moderator

I started small (metaphorically). I purchased an hour-long aerobics video from Amazon Prime and made it a priority to do that every day. Specifically cardio dance, because I can't dance and didn't want to be bored. Because I knew that I wouldn't keep at it unless I saw results, I also took a four session course of laser liposuction. I also used the free app on my phone to track calories. Nothing too serious, I just keep my calorie intake about 500 calories below maintenance. For my height, that's about 1350 calories a day. That turns into losing about a pound a week.

Full disclaimer: I still can't really dance.

As time went on, I started to feel better and better about myself. About an year into my progress, I joined a gym. After doing that every morning (5 days a week, you need to rest and let the muscles heal), I started counting macro nutrients. My time in the gym has increased to about three hours a day. Part of that is because I'm learning and socializing with friends. Part of it is because I've come to enjoy it. Even the hard parts.

Now, I'm a geek to the core. My kinesthetics are not great, but I keep plugging away at it. It's OK to miss a day if you have to (because Doctor's appointments, sick time, holidays, GCS, maybe a global pandemic closes the gym down...), but I always come back and get moving again as soon as I'm able.

At my heaviest I was 298.8 pounds. I'm at 188 and looking to hit 170. Probably early next year because I'm going to get benched from revision surgery in December.

I guess that's the main thing. I couldn't have done this for the old me. I can totally do it for Jackie. She's worth it.

Hugs!

• 10 months later...

I know this topic is old, but just wanted to share one thing. I'm someone who has always had HUGE problems with tedium, and even moreso if the tedium involves physical effort. But I love a good videogame, especially if it's a music-based one.

So for me, a really good investment was a decent VR headset together with a couple games in particular: Beat Saber and Pistol Whip. Getting going on one of those...seriously...only times I can remember in my life where I'd not only work up a sweat without even thinking twice about it, but still pretty much never really want to stop and have to tell myself "Ok, it's getting late, and you've had enough already!" (followed consistently by "unnghh! one more?", "ugh, fine, ONE more then it's protein shake and cooldown time, ok? besides, you need the bathroom.") Yea, my internal dialog can get weird.

And by "VR headset", I don't mean one of those cheapo pieces of plastic (or...cardboard...) that you stick your cell phone into. Those are nothing but cheap gimmicks that pretend to be VR and just make real VR look bad. (I've used them, they're not remotely the same). I mean like, something from Oculus if you happen to like Facebook, or Valve Index or upcoming "PSVR 2" if you happen to be a gamer. They're not cheap, but then again, excersise equipment isnt cheap either (and can be too tedius to stick with for many people.)

And, of course, cut any sugars, non-sugar sweeteners, and alcohol that you can. That stuff just makes any other calories you eat go straight into fat storage.