• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT, Alchohol, and the Liver

Heather Nicole

Heather Nicole

I don't remember where it was, but somewhere I once came across the information that HRT can be hard on the liver. Obviously alcohol is well-known to be hard on the liver, too.

Not really sure what exactly to ask, but I wanted to look further into this, and see whatever I could find out.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Heather Nicole said:

HRT can be hard on the liver.

HRT, depending on the regimen, can be hard on the kidneys too. There are ways to help reduce the stress it puts on these organs. The Estradiol pills for example were at one time swallowed whole and digested normally. Now the pills are placed sublingually under the tongue to be dissolved into the bloodstream at that contact point. Some of the pill is inevitably swallowed so it is not as safe as patches and other methods of absorption into the body.

• Admin

When you are on HRT, one of the blood tests that is done routinely is a liver function test and some chemicals produced by the liver's digestive enzyme contributions are also tested for levels.  My liver had made a reasonably good recovery from an Alcoholic relapse 14 years ago by the time I was given oral HRT meds.  I was fine for 6 years, but did develop a blood clot in my leg about the six year time.  I was taken off of the oral meds and they were replaced 6 months after the blood clot was discovered by Patches which I have now had for 5 years without a problem and normal liver function for my age. For the most part it is not the E itself that is the problem but  rather the "vehicle" parts of the pills.  Injections are generally considered the safest, with patches, and gels only a little behind for liver safely. Oral meds have the greatest, but still small chance, of liver problems due to digestion issues.

• Forum Moderator

Both my gender therapist and doctor were happy that i had stopped drinking about 5 years prior to starting HRT. In fact in several ways sobriety and the fellowship that has helped me learn to live a happy sober life helped me transition as well.  The issues with liver is just one of the reasons why we are so adamantly against self medication.  There is simply too much risk if we don't have regular blood tests and monitoring. 

I seem to have a healthy liver despite a serious drinking history.  Instead it is my heart that took serious damage.  For that reason topical E is the safest for m.  Even with that regular monitoring is necessary!

Hugs,

Charlize

• 1 month later...

Transition is so absolutely wonderful,  adding alcohol to the cocktail provides no upside and many downsides, the risk to the liver being just one.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Rami said:

adding alcohol to the cocktail provides no upside and many downsides,

Oh so very true.

• 2 months later...

This is all very informative, I guess I need to climb back on the wagon. 😀

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, BillieB said:

This is all very informative, I guess I need to climb back on the wagon. 😀

That's pretty much par for the course for us older gals. Do everything you can to improve your general health if you want to safely enjoy your HRT. Also, the advice my surgeon gave me before I went under for bottom surgery: Be in the best shape of your life. A lot of positive habits flowed from coming out as trans. Of course they became easier to maintain once I didn't hate myself so much, so win-win, right?

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

If i was the kind of person who could have a beer every two months, or a glass of wine at Christmas then i wouldn't worry about alcohol.  There wouldn't even be a wagon to climb on.  The fact is that one is never enough for me.   

Wagons are for those who need a ride to get safely home and i'm one of those.

Hugs,

Charlize

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• KymmieL
    • Kasumi63
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Niamh
    • Katharina
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

SwedeGirl
    Newest Member
    SwedeGirl

1. jowilla
      jowilla
    • Niamh
      @ElizabethStarThe shorter skirt really suits you. It's around the sort of length I like/ @Linda MarieOnce again a very stylish and classy look. Wonderful - wish I had your figure.   So for me today I got some new clothes delivered yesterday and decided I like a splash of colour. It was the new top which arrived yesterday. My wife reckoned I frightened away a bird of prey which came to our garden today (my wife is not into bright colours!)
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.dw.com/en/panama-allows-transgender-women-to-compete-in-beauty-pageant/a-56752761     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/south-koreas-transgender-soldier-found-dead-76226064     This was an entirely preventable tragedy.  May she rest in peace and honor.   Carolyn Marie
    • Liam da potato
      aw thanks ^^ You can do it !  ( ^^)b  
    • Myles97
      Thanks so much for the advice. I often need to reminded to just breathe! I get too wrapped up in my anxiety sometimes. Honestly, if my partner and I were on an island living life as just us I would happily and without doubt live as male. So I am pretty positive all of the anxiety is stemming from anticipation like you said. I am also scared coming out is going to hurt my ability to get a job in the future and I don’t want to feel like I’ve screwed myself over for the sake of my happiness. Idk, just have to reflect and remember that at the end of the day this life is mine and how happy can I be in the closet? Thank you again for advice and letting me vent. 
    • Myles97
      Thank you! I think you’re right - it’s still heavy on my shoulders. Thank you for your confidence that it’ll all end up well. Congrats on your coming out so far!
    • JustineM
      Thank you Teri!  Its Blackheart Beauty polish from Hot Topic. I think the color is called Mermaid.  The labels have kind of smudged out so they are hard to read LOL.  
    • Liam da potato
      got called dude by a stranger ^^
    • Charlize
      If i do a bit of a squeeze i get cleavage.  I'm just happy to have the pert cuties i've got.  My wife is a bit jealous as i'm more like a old teenager than the old woman i am.  No complaints!  If i ware a bra it is to hide the peaks from popping out and that is a rare need.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Jackie C.
      The eyes thing would give me a headache, but tentative congratulations! I hope you get the position!   Hugs!
    • KymmieL
      I know what you mean. I am more out at work than I am at home. Sad to say.   Things are happening, today. I just got off the phone with the district manager in the Spokane area. While he said that he does have a person for the store manager in Deer Park. He does think he has a place for me to transfer too. That store manager is on vacation this week. So he will get with him and discuss me and see about getting me into another store. I explained just why I am wanting to move it seems like he does understand.   🤞fingers crossed, toes crossed and even eyes crossed.   Kymmie
    • Ann W
      What a wonderful development...good job making that all happen for yourself.  I'm feeling a sense of freedom just reading about it.  Enjoy work today Ma'am!   You too @JustineM.  Hope it all goes well.
    • Ann W
      That skirt looks good on you Liz...makes me want one.
    • 2beBreanna
      Congrats.  My wife was just making fun of me because I was soo enthralled with the fact that tighter shirts are starting to show a little growth.  I can't imagine how I would be when I get to that point.
    • Jackie C.
      You noticed that too? The trend in IT right now seems to be gig work. There are some help-desk options too but... honestly...   I have a long history in IT. I'm very good at it. The thing is, I hate myself when I do it. The person I turn into is an absolute bitch. I retrained. Twice. I have a certificate in character animation... which I got just in time for the market to disappear from this area. By this time next week I'll be an RBT working with autistic kids. The pay is a step down, but if I'm going to work to make somebody else rich, I'd rather that the work matters.   The point being that there are always options. Sometimes they're not optimal. Yes. You're right. Being trans will matter for some employers. Not most of them, but sometimes you'll run into a bigot. Of course that's true with whatever you want to do in life. There is always potential to run into a bigot who runs you off the tracks. If being trans was easy... well, I don't know how that would work. I'm having trouble with coming up with an easy version of dysphoria. I mean what would that even be like?   Uber shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, I can't Uber, but my car is older than some of my friends. I get "sign up for Uber" offers all the time. You might also consider Social Security disability. It can take a while to process, but if you've been employed at some point in the last ten years and you can't find work in your field you're entitled to disability. After all, you paid into Social Security, that money is yours. I guess what I'm getting at is that whatever you're dealing with, it's only for now. You're a strong, independent woman. You can get past this.     Hugs!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.