• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Biden Talked Trans Rights at Thursday's Town Hall

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

While I usually don't even read threads like this one. Well I did. One thing that no one has mentioned

Pres Trump is a business man not a politician.  

Not one of the candidates can make good on there claims to change this or that. Even executive order has its limitations. They need the senate and congress to put there stamp on it.

Kymmie 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wichita

• Mia Marie

• MirandaB

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

I'll remind everyone again to please keep the temperature down on posts in this and every other thread.  It is easy for politics to inflame passions, so please read your post carefully before pushing the "Submit" button.  Please remain civil, do not insult anyone personally or an entire group of people.  Lastly, if you are stating that something is a fact, kindly provide source material or a link to back up that fact.  That does not mean you should post lengthy Youtube videos or links to opinion pieces.  Opinions are not facts.

Thank you.

Carolyn Marie

Thanks so much Carolyn.  You are a true voice of reason.  I get everyone's political passions and would never argue to deny them, but I have to think there are more appropriate venues for political views.

15 hours ago, RhondaS said:

The articles disagree with the take that the election was stolen, and probably would that the VP elect is the antichrist if that was something you could research, but ok!

Good thing the articles aren’t courts of law then, hmm? Those same articles’ authors think they have the authority to proclaim a new president. They don’t. They can project all they like. Just take a teensy trip back to 2000 to see how well that works out for them. 

There’s a very clearly-defined legal process for determining the winner of an election, and the media plays absolutely no role in it, despite what cnn and msnbc would prefer.

14 hours ago, sleepinflame said:

1) That is tremendously disrespectful of each and every person's personal judgment.

2) I've lived in NY since 1984.  I have completely and utterly despised Donald Trump since I became aware of him as a person in the early 1990's.  I personally know a caterer that he completely stiffed after she provided catering service for a big party.  He said that she should consider that she served him as reward enough.  In my opinion, a typically Republican attitude towards women.

Things I know personally:

*  There is no rioting whatsoever in New York.

*  I know six people who died of Covid, one of whom was a relative of my partner, in Vermont, in March

*  My partner and I had Covid in March.

*  The supreme court violated Florida's state rights in the Bush election.  States have their own jurisdiction over voting.  It doesn't matter how corrupt they are or what their process is.

In fact, I consider Trump a worse criminal than Mugabe, has lower morals, and is worse for America.  Those things are my personal opinion.

3) By the way, citing "the articles" is not citing a source, merely casting fear and doubt.  Do you really want to be responsible for spreading misinformation and undermining America?  Clearly state your sources or make clear that statements are your personal opinion or from your own experience.  Otherwise you are just a troll blowing smoke at us and you are working hard to destroy America.  People like you have worked so hard to undermine America and destroy all the things I have loved about it my whole life.

I’ve numbered the points and my corresponding responses because multiple quotes on an iPhone apparently isn’t happening. 

1) No it isn’t. Because the vast majority of people have never met with, nor dealt with the man. People say he’s against our community, except for him confirming that Caitlin Jenner could use whatever restroom she wished at Trump Tower. 

People claim he’s a racist, yet he has very large support from “Latinos for Trump,” “Blacks for Trump.” 

He was “so racist” that he’s been given awards from Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton. 

So “racist” he was welcomed with open arms to do a cameo on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

So “racist” he’s kept black unemployment numbers below what they were even during Obama’s term. 

Terrible “racist.”

2) That’s an awful lot of your opinion that seems largely subjective.

No rioting in New York? Then why did so many stores board up windows before the election? 

I too have a friend who’s had the virus. It hasn’t slowed him down one bit. 

3) Strange how you demand sources for my comments, but we’re supposed to just take your anecdotal evidence at face value.

However, never one to back down from a challenge...

Here’s just one for now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54124996

Sounds like getting a middle eastern nation to stop boycotting Israel and normal relations is pretty huge. And he’s down that 3 times now. 

1 hour ago, RhondaS said:

And the “oh-so-misogynistic” Trump added a woman to the Supreme Court. 

And the “oh-so-racist” Trump received awards and large support from minority communities.

A trans person on a transition team? There’s a joke in there somewhere, but it escapes me at the moment. I’ll be sure and keep a look out for anything that affects our community on a national level...and not just one person on one team. There’s a word for things like that, been around for quite some time... “token”... I believe. South Park even has a character named after the word. At this point, Biden has thrown us breadcrumbs.

Pardon me if I wait for the feast... or at the very least a reasonably-sized snack.

Now... if Biden makes the VA reverse course and totally and completely cover veterans’ transitions up to and including surgery? That would be something. But I’ll believe that when I see it.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Wichita said:

There’s a very clearly-defined legal process for determining the winner of an election, and the media plays absolutely no role in it, despite what cnn and msnbc would prefer.

Legally, you're entirely correct.  However, tradition in modern elections is that the winner and loser graciously accept the unofficial results reported on or close to election day, unless those results are within 1 percent or less.  That has been accepted by both party's candidates for 40-50 years.  It was accepted by Pres. Trump in 2016, who was very happy to proclaim victory on election night, and again within the last day or two when the media "proclaimed" that Trump won 3 electoral votes in Alaska.  So you can hang your hat on the legalities if you want.  You're not technically wrong.  But please spare us the high moral ground.

Carolyn Marie

1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Legally, you're entirely correct.  However, tradition in modern elections is that the winner and loser graciously accept the unofficial results reported on or close to election day, unless those results are within 1 percent or less.  That has been accepted by both party's candidates for 40-50 years.  It was accepted by Pres. Trump in 2016, who was very happy to proclaim victory on election night, and again within the last day or two when the media "proclaimed" that Trump won 3 electoral votes in Alaska.  So you can hang your hat on the legalities if you want.  You're not technically wrong.  But please spare us the high moral ground.

Carolyn Marie

I’m not sure to what high ground you’re referring, but that sounded like a thinly-veiled personal attack. 

*Traditionally*, candidates released their tax returns to the public, though that’s not mandatory either. 

He’s well within his rights to seek recounts in close states and it sounds like he is doing exactly that. Just today, NPR said Georgia was going to do a complete, by-hand recount.

Like I said before... I hope every single challenge comes out in Biden’s favor. I really and truly do. That way, when there’s no more big, orange boogeyman, the dnc will have no one on whom to blame their vast failures. 

And when (not if) the country crumbles further, I’ll watch it all with a warm bowl of popcorn and a satisfied look of “I told you so” on my face.

You know, those freaking out over the 2016 election (to this day) promised me guaranteed nuclear war started by a man who shouldn’t have the nation’s nuclear codes. 

I’m still waiting. But I’ve yet to see any war. 

This is pointless.

When someone chooses to place more trust in a random "social media" personality who verifiably makes a habit of twisting and abusing context to make successfully trending videos, than they place in...any other source whatsoever...and they resolutely stand by that decision...then all hope for them is lost.

You can't help an addict who doesn't choose to accept help.

Just walk away...

3 hours ago, Heather Nicole said:

This is pointless.

When someone chooses to place more trust in a random "social media" personality who verifiably makes a habit of twisting and abusing context to make successfully trending videos, than they place in...any other source whatsoever...and they resolutely stand by that decision...then all hope for them is lost.

You can't help an addict who doesn't choose to accept help.

Just walk away...

It's ironic you point to *one* allegedly out of context clip in four 15+ minute videos as  "verifiably making a habit."

It's as though you haven't watched any mainstream media sources since Trump announced his candidacy, let alone got elected. They have not only made a "verifiable habit" of taking the president out of context, they've also made a "verifiable habit" of reporting outright lies about him. How else do you explain the moderator of the first debate last month asking Trump to "denounce white supremacy," despite the president having done so 35+ times since his campaign began...with one of those 35+ times being the very debate that same moderator also moderated between Trump and hillary in 2016?

Please explain that one to me. 

Regarding your hope comment... talk about some extreme irony. Yes walk away because you cannot explain that which I have asked you to explain. That's because while there is a very real and verifiable explanation (rampant and overt media bias) you refuse to acknowledge it.

There's a word for that -- "denial," which makes your comparison of me to an addict even more ironic.

The average shift in recounts in a study of 15 years of US elections is 282 votes. 

Biden leads in AZ by 11,000.

Biden leads in GA by 14,000.

Biden leads in WI by 20,000.

Biden leads in NV by 36,000.

Biden leads in PA by 53,000.

Biden leads in MI by 146,000. 

1 hour ago, RhondaS said:

The average shift in recounts in a study of 15 years of US elections is 282 votes. 

Biden leads in AZ by 11,000.

Biden leads in GA by 14,000.

Biden leads in WI by 20,000.

Biden leads in NV by 36,000.

Biden leads in PA by 53,000.

Biden leads in MI by 146,000. 

And? Recounts aren't decided by past averages. There are 70-ish days for recounts and legal challenges. Since I'm fairly certain of us is psychic, we're all in the same "wait and see" situation... much I'm waiting those nukes I was promised way back in 2016.

Just saying those are a lot of votes for the Trump side to throw out. 

And Trump needs more than just Georgia. If his nuisance lawsuits are thrown out in the other states and he wins GA he still loses, 290-232 I think. 

Georgia and Arizona getting flipped doesn't do it either. Add Wisconsin and I think we finally get to that tie scenario. 

Yes, if Trump is able to gain tens of thousands of votes in 3 or more states he has a chance.

So if we get to a point where the GA recount is the only thing left, I hope Biden, in a bid for unity, will promise Trump that he really secretly won GA and we can all move ahead with our traditional democratic process.

We need to stop thinking we are going to get everything, or at the least, 25% of what the democrats say they are going to do for us. You have to look into the past to see that democrats have lied more to get into office and each time they got in we paid more taxes, cost of living goes up tremendously but pay barely moves up. Do you really think anything will change if democrats control the Presidency? I think we, the LGBT community, will still have to fight for rights and for fairness. Nothing will change. It has already been accepted that republicans won't change things for us so there is no expectations. We can only fight in the courts for what is right for us. You want to believe the national min wage will be 15.00/hr. That is an unrealistic view and may never see light. Would you want to go to McDonald's and spend 30.00 for 1 hamburger meal? Would you willing to pay close to 10,000.00 for a single room apartment that measures 200-600 sq ft?  Those types of questions you need to ask yourself before you give your support to democrats. The amounts are just a guess so don't think of them as fact but a possibility of what could happen.

Actions speak louder than words.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/trump-administration-moves-repeal-transgender-protections-homeless-shelters-n1232849

As I have already said, I don't really expect much from a potential Biden administration.  But it would be kinda nice if this stuff didn't keep happening.

18 hours ago, Wichita said:

Now... if Biden makes the VA reverse course and totally and completely cover veterans’ transitions up to and including surgery? That would be something. But I’ll believe that when I see it.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath either.

I feel lucky that this regime hasn't already taken what we have.

As for Trump's personal beliefs, if any, he seems to be perfectly fine with playing to anyone if it will help him.

1 hour ago, Mia Marie said:

We need to stop thinking we are going to get everything, or at the least, 25% of what the democrats say they are going to do for us.

People seem to forget that any real changes have to make it through congress.

You want to believe the national min wage will be 15.00/hr. That is an unrealistic view and may never see light. Would you want to go to McDonald's and spend 30.00 for 1 hamburger meal?

Probably an exaggeration, whatever, I get the point.

The Covid pandemic showed us who the real "essential workers" are.  Strange how nobody realized it before (except them).  Funny how these are the lowest paying jobs for the most part.  Maybe that hamburger is worth more than people realize?

Jandi, I hope that last comment was a joke? You know that couldn't be true? I have been around for 51 years and have seen things that lets me understand a bit more than someone who is 20-30 years old. I can tell you the messages don't change. Only the faces do.

No hamburger meal at McDonald's is worth 30.00. They aren't worth the price paid for them today.

Agreed !  I personally avoid Micky D's

11 hours ago, RhondaS said:

Just saying those are a lot of votes for the Trump side to throw out. 

And Trump needs more than just Georgia. If his nuisance lawsuits are thrown out in the other states and he wins GA he still loses, 290-232 I think. 

Georgia and Arizona getting flipped doesn't do it either. Add Wisconsin and I think we finally get to that tie scenario. 

Yes, if Trump is able to gain tens of thousands of votes in 3 or more states he has a chance.

So if we get to a point where the GA recount is the only thing left, I hope Biden, in a bid for unity, will promise Trump that he really secretly won GA and we can all move ahead with our traditional democratic process.

Sounds like Trump isn’t done in PA, either....

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2020/11/12/trump-campaign-election-2020-presidential-pennsylvania-lawsuit-ballots-late-identification/stories/202011120132

...which is exactly my point. There are enough battleground states still in play for one reason or another. 

What Biden should do is side with Trump and demand every legal situation be fully investigated and resolved before declaring himself the winner. That is, after all, what he promised to do. It seems he’s already begun lying and he’s not even in office yet. 

Yet another example of rampant and overt media bias.

755164C3-07D2-46CF-BBC0-A2A2A0EE3A7B.jpeg

628EF73C-D2D8-4B32-9579-0559FCE54D42.jpeg

137E865F-2A6A-4876-9838-95C1E121E65D.jpeg

9EE8AC81-6DFF-439C-8AE1-3CFBEB22C62D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Sweetie, Jandi's 70. Also no ageism, K?

I have to weigh in on this...and admittedly, I’m struggling hard to be...diplomatic, especially since I’m merely an outside observer into the interaction.

Not every word in the English language needs to have an “ism” associated with it. This is why outsiders don’t take our community or those who would side with us seriously. Pointing out the sheer mathematical and chronological fact that someone on their 50’s has seen more than someone in their 20’s is not “ageism.” It’s simple math/chronology. 

Ageism is *discrimination* based on age, and can go both ways. Simply telling someone you’ve been around longer than they have is not discrimination, it’s being descriptive and informative. 

Having said that and seen that Jandi is, in fact, older than Mia (thus making the majority of my response kinda moot), it would seem to me that the better response would have been from Jandi to the effect of “Yeah...I’ve got 20 years on you, slick.” 

We, as a community, need to be able to respond to criticism and differing opinions without accusing our opponents of an “ism” or a “phobe.” Such accusations ruin the chance for meaningful debate and discussion as they exist solely to shut down the other person and the debate as a whole. To me, it’s the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going “la la la.” 

I’ve seen such reactions increasingly in recent years and, as a former journalist who also aced her college debate class, it saddens me. Whenever I see an otherwise informative or spirited debate devolve into “you’re just an ‘ist/phobe’!” I just roll my eyes.

In fact, such a practice has even spawned its own buzzword — “istaphobe.” And I’ve seen numerous instances where such an accusation is levied and the target of the accusation, in turn, highlights the fact that the accused is “a snowflake” who can’t debate honestly.

Those accusations are no better than the names we get called by our small-minded detractors.

6 hours ago, Mia Marie said:

No hamburger meal at McDonald's is worth 30.00. They aren't worth the price paid for them today.

I pay almost that now... but that’s when you factor in the tip and such because I use Doordash. I don’t get out much.

• Carolyn Marie locked this topic