• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What to do when your genetics are detrimental to the look that reflects who you are?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Audrey said:

this sort of envy of what other people have ultimately ends up being self-defeating. Instead, focus on what we like about ourselves, and what fills us with confidence.

This is a key concept behind all of my comments in subjects on the dreaded "not passing".  Yes, I have people all the time telling me I look fine, and I am even now having days when I feel they are buttering me up insincerely.  Another part of me knows full well I am actually a role model of sorts for the Trans community, and I do stand in front of audiences with them knowing full well I am trans but when they realize I am basically an ordinary person, they warm up to me, and at that point it becomes Vicky and <random name> Doris, not Trans and Cis.  Being confident and friendly are wonderful looks to have on your face even if you forgot to shave an hour ago. 

13 hours ago, Audrey said:

That said, this sort of envy of what other people have ultimately ends up being self-defeating. Instead, focus on what we like about ourselves, and what fills us with confidence. Confidence is attractive, and it can't be bought in any store, prescribed by any doctor, or changed by any surgeon. The images of women in the media with impossible-to-attain figures undermine confidence. Those images also have the potential to do tremendous damage both psychologically and physically - not just to trans women, but to *all* women. That's why I'm a big believer in body positive thinking. As many others have said, changing how you think can have far more of an effect than changing how you look. Surround yourself with people who help you think positive and it'll really help you along in your transition.

Like Audrey says, changing your mindset can be monumental when it comes to how you perceive yourself. What little positive trans representation exists in the media tends to be skinny, petite, surgically enhanced, unclockable supermodel-esque girls, and the reality is very few of us look like that. Don't get me wrong there's nothing inherently bad about looking like that but it can be really detrimental to your own mental health to only compare yourself to that image. The reality is that trans women are a diverse group of people, and we come in all shapes, sizes, and skin tones. Something that helped me was to look through tags on tumblr like #girlslikeus because there are pictures of all kinds of trans girls there and I was able to find others that look like me. Even if Tumblr isn't your preferred social media site similar tags exist on other platforms and could help you see the beauty in others, and by extension the beauty in yourself. 

15 hours ago, Audrey said:

For example, I have the frame of an offensive tackle. At the same time, I also have a full head of hair when many my age struggle with male pattern baldness. I'm sure someone out there would trade their smaller frame for my head of hair.

For me, you're precisely on-target with that comparison, @Audrey!  I have that smaller frame, but my MPB is something I struggle with, especially because I'm not all that comfortable with wigs, either, as a way to address it.  I'd say that I'm semi-confident with my presentation, but sensitive and certainly not fully confident.  It's a struggle that I'll continue to work on, I do know that.  I can say that I've made steady progress with my self-image (with the help of a gender therapist) and physical development (with the help of estradiol and an excellent gender clinic), but this is an ongoing journey, and I accept that there's more work for me in this area.  I've already overcome many of my earlier fears, and I need to keep chipping away at those that remain.

15 hours ago, Audrey said:

I'm a big believer in body positive thinking. As many others have said, changing how you think can have far more of an effect than changing how you look. Surround yourself with people who help you think positive and it'll really help you along in your transition.

Oh, yes!  Excellently worded!

With thanks,

Astrid

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Astrid said:

I'm not all that comfortable with wigs

May I suggest headscarves? Fashionable, affordable, attractive and low-maintenance. Also what I wear to the gym. You can tie them in a bunch of fun ways and they cover your scalp in admirable fashion. Most also have provisions to let a ponytail or whatnot flow out the back.

Granted I'm an alopecia patient, but I find myself collecting them just because they make a statement. Nobody would bat an eye.

Hugs!

2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

May I suggest headscarves? Fashionable, affordable, attractive and low-maintenance. Also what I wear to the gym. You can tie them in a bunch of fun ways and they cover your scalp in admirable fashion. Most also have provisions to let a ponytail or whatnot flow out the back.

Granted I'm an alopecia patient, but I find myself collecting them just because they make a statement. Nobody would bat an eye.

Hugs!

Thank you for the suggestion, @Jackie C.!  I'll certainly make a date with my mirror to check out the possibilities. ??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 103 Guests (See full list)

• KathyLauren
    • MaybeRob
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • LC
      That is wonderful. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!! Two cups of coffee in the books and I am just feeling so wonderful this morning. Not sure why, but I'm happy and smiling.   Enjoy this beautiful day!!!
    • Heather Shay
      A U.S. dollar bill can be folded approximately 4,000 times in the same place before it will tear. -You cannot snore and dream at the same time. -The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime. -A hippo’s wide open mouth is big enough to fit a 4-foot-tall child in. -Chewing gum while you cut an onion will help keep you from crying.
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.