• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Perm and hair coloring for my M2F Daughter

MomTGDaughter

My m2f 12 year old daughter has very nice long hair almost to the middle of her back, my hairstylist (now hers too) is suggesting a perm and hair coloring. She is eventually going to go on hormone blockers and eventually estrogen. My concern is making sure she maintains great hair she can grow very long. Will any of there hurt or damage her hair over the long run? Any suggestions on anything what will help her maintain great hair, especially since she was born male and don't maintain hair volume like woman do,  I like the idea of what my hairstylist is suggesting, but I want to make sure it will be fine for the long run. 

• Admin

I'm no chemist, hon, but I've never heard of blockers causing issues with hair.  Nor have I heard of anyone on estrogen suffering damage to or problems with their hair.  I suggest talking to her doctor about it.  A good endocrinologist should have some experience with that.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

If your beautician is experienced with children's hair, she is a person to trust.  There are some newer non-ammonia products that will help keep hair from being damaged.  Here in CA to get your Cosmetology License you have to show you know about that stuff.  There are some newer "kid products" as far as color goes, the wild colors that are actually helpful to the hair.  As far as her hair length and texture, it is the same as other girls her age in your family since the male pattern of hair does not kick in until puberty is well along.  On Blockers, her hair is going to stay what it is until actual HRT begins, and then it will be pretty much what happened to YOU during your puberty in terms of what your hormones did to your hair.  Hair, even in children has a three stage (some say four) life cycle. New hair,  Mature hair, and dormant hair follicles, and it is the new hair follicles that begin growing after HRT is begun that will determine her adult hair growth. 

I was 61 when I began my HRT and when my hormone treated (from inside) new hairs grew out, it was finer than my old male hair had been, but that some of what may have been dead, came back, so while my hair is fine mine hits just below my shoulder blades, but I am 5'10 so on a shorter person it would be longer appearing.