• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Donating blood here in Australia

Jordan101

Before i start moderators if this isn't the right place for this please let me know so i can move it to the right area thankyou.

Hi all

I wanted to let everyone  know that there is a shortage of blood donations Victoria and Australia wide, because of COVID.

On the 20th November, I went and donated blood for the first time. I spent about 20-45 mins doing questions and talking to a lovely nurse and doing all the blood pressure and so on for a new donor.

She asked if I was talking any medications or drugs and I told her 'yes', I told her that I am transgender.
She was surprised but interested about it all and wanted to learn more, I spent 10 - 20 mins talking about some things but told her that there are youtubers and forums she can read also.  She said all medications were fine to donate and she signed me off.

All up the pain part was alright like a normal blood test but bigger  

I would Highly recommend donating if you can as Australia is short of blood. it would only take a hour out of your day.

With my first experience it was fantastic. I did it with the Australia Red Cross Lifeblood. they have a app and you can book a time.

Update today - Just found out that ill be doing more donations in the future as i have the rarest type of blood "AB-"  only 1% of our population has this type. lol

• Forum Moderator

Here in the Uk they are talking about donation of blood plasma from people who have had covid for treatment of those that have it. It is worthwhile contacting your local health service both here and probably elsewhere if you feel able to help.

Tracy

19 hours ago, tracy_j said:

Here in the Uk they are talking about donation of blood plasma from people who have had covid for treatment of those that have it. It is worthwhile contacting your local health service both here and probably elsewhere if you feel able to help.

Tracy

Hi Tracy

I understand the UK is going through a hard time with covid, with lockdowns and such. Its interesting you say about people donating blood and plasma from people who had covid. Where here in Victoria, Australia we don't allow people who are infected or showing symptoms of coivd to donate as they could pass it onto patients.

I can let you know that Covid will be around for a while and being in massive lockdowns here is Victoria did help but it wont stop it. If they do some lockdown and mask wearing over in the UK that will help as our economy in Victoria is really bad with high unemployment rate and most shops closed due to the lock down. 

Our thoughts and preys to the family's and friends that are in the UK are safe and well. we all want this to finish and get back to normal.

Jordan

• Forum Moderator

Hi Jordan, yes it is bad with the lockdowns. I think the government have been clutching at straws a bit as they fail to cope. I saw an advert last night which brought it home to me a bit that maybe the blood transfusion service is having trouble coping. This was for donation for people suffering sickle cell anaemia. This mainly affects coloured people so they were asking for more specific donors. The request for people who have had covid was for plasma to treat those who are in a bad way with covid, I think, so not really a risk to the general population. The blood service is open but I suspect they are doing stringent checks with normal donations. I heard about your strict lockdown. I wonder how it would be received here. I hope it sorts things down there. I have always wondered though as it only really delays things but at least there seems to be vaccines on the way now.

Tracy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Jackie C.
    • Aurora
    • KathyLauren
    • Shay
    • SheenaT
    • Linda Marie
    • Emily michelle
    • Jamie68
    • CD Rachel
    • Confused1
    • Niamh
    • Tasha Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Flowers
    Newest Member
    Flowers

No users celebrating today
    • Aurora
      Hello All:   I have a question and wanted to know and have heard very little about it so I will also try to keep it as clean as possible.  So after your GCS surgery and you need to use the restroom, I have heard that the first month or 2 when using the restroom that it tends to spray more than be like a stream and when it sprays, it tends to get everywhere and usually due to the swelling and getting used to the new part for going to the restroom.  Then I heard that after awhile when the swelling starts to go down that it becomes less of a spray and more of a stream in time and also you then learn how to better control it when using the restroom.  So was wondering if this is correct and what is some of the post-op girls out their experience with using the restroom from right after GCS surgery and going to the 1 year after or more?   Thank You All   Side note, I have 46 days and counting till April 21st for my GCS surgery with Dr. Crane
    • Shay
      mellow time...............    
    • Shay
      i feel like I'm at standstill.
    • Shay
      time - fast and yet so slow.................
    • Shay
      Even though I feel like in a holding pattern - this song occurred to me this morning and has a lot to say to me today.    
    • Niamh
      I'm probably old enough to be your childs grandparent, but I'm going through some questioning about how to address my own legal name. I wonder if the solution I'm thinking of for myself may be appropriate for your child. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to official/registered names in USA (I'm in UK), but why not legally ADD your child's new name to their registered name. I have many friends and family who choose one of their first names to be known by. My Mother in Law for example has always be known by her 2nd registered name.   If you were to register your child's new name as their first but retain their original name as a second would this compromise work for you both?
    • Jackie C.
      Early on? Yeah. It takes a minute for your mind to settle into the idea that you're where you're supposed to be. The dysphoria monster keeps telling you that you're a fraud and that sends you tripping down the steps into a death spiral. It is very much a fake it until you make it situation. I misgender MYSELF sometimes. It gets easier with time though. Your new identity takes precedence over the one you wore for so long. When I feel like a fraud, I revel in something girly for a while. A romance novel, treatment, dressing hyper-femme for a bit, whatever. Just to remind myself how much I love being who I am.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Salutations @Hsarandos! Welcome to Transpulse!   So your son wants to be called Xi. That's the name that he thinks fits him the best. He likes it. He wants to be called Xi. Go for it. If he decides he wants to change it later, that's OK too. I didn't go with my first choice, but it's not really a big deal.   I think you're getting a little hung up on all the work you did to name your son. The thing with names though is that we hang them on someone before we really get to know them. Sure, you know your son fairly well (at least it seems like that, kudos for being supportive parents by the way) now, but how well did you know him when he was just born? Heck, you thought he was a girl!   His reluctance to go with his given name could be bad feelings because he associates it with being a girl. Sure, it's unisex, but when he wore it, it was while he was pretending to be a girl. He might not want the reminder. The time we spend pretending to be the gender everybody says we are hurts and your son might just want a clean break. I'm not saying you have to change it in the Official Records just yet. Let that ride for a while until he's sure. If that's the name he wants going forward as your son though? Call him Xi. Being trans is stressful enough, he needs your love, acceptance and support. It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!   Hugs!
    • KathyLauren
      I hope your tooth feels better soon!   You could suggest that they do the interview by Zoom or Skype or something.  This is 2021: everyone uses technology for meetings.  They would still get to read your facial expressions and see how you present yourself, which is why they ask for in-person interviews.
    • Tasha Marie
      Thank you @Vanessa
    • SheenaT
      If you make it to Spokane maybe we could meet for coffee?
    • LusciousTheLock
      Hiya peeps   So, here in the UK we've essentially been on lockdown for the past 12 months, meaning all the shops are shut. Also meaning all the laser hair removal shops are shut. This has been traumatising. Nothing sets off a good bout of dysphoria like a nice beard in the morning!   At Christmas, after dressing at home and weekends for the past twelve months, essentially full time, I came out at work. I work with and around 200-300 people face to face as a Transport Manager, so my transition has become very public. Everybody has been polite and respectful using my new name and gender pronouns. However, It makes me feel terrible. I feel like a fraud, with makeup hiding beard all the time. I feel we're all playing make-believe with people calling me She/her. Maybe being forced to do so? Is it normal to feel this way?    
    • Jamie68
      I would guess the baby shower ranked right up there with a Tupper ware party. I've always thought all those kind of events were boring. The good part was that you were invited, and treated the same as any other woman.   I hesitate saying this because my therapist just told me about it. It looks like the grieving process is getting over with your wife and she's starting to accept you as you are more. YAY!
    • Confused1
      Hi JN Orange. Welcome to Trans Pulse. I am AMAB but have felt somewhat similar to you. Not driven strongly to either side. I am out to wife and select few. My wife is straight as well. I am without hormones due to ADT for prostate cancer and subsequently realized how much I hate testosterone. I am enjoying the changes that have been happening. I am getting GCS soon to fix a botched prostate surgery. It helps a lot when your spouse is supportive.   Hugs, Mike
    • Kasumi63
      Wow! Twelve hours! I guess it takes a lot of time to make lots a great little changes—and a couple of larger ones! Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.