• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Donating blood here in Australia

Jordan101

Before i start moderators if this isn't the right place for this please let me know so i can move it to the right area thankyou.

Hi all

I wanted to let everyone  know that there is a shortage of blood donations Victoria and Australia wide, because of COVID.

On the 20th November, I went and donated blood for the first time. I spent about 20-45 mins doing questions and talking to a lovely nurse and doing all the blood pressure and so on for a new donor.

She asked if I was talking any medications or drugs and I told her 'yes', I told her that I am transgender.
She was surprised but interested about it all and wanted to learn more, I spent 10 - 20 mins talking about some things but told her that there are youtubers and forums she can read also.  She said all medications were fine to donate and she signed me off.

All up the pain part was alright like a normal blood test but bigger  

I would Highly recommend donating if you can as Australia is short of blood. it would only take a hour out of your day.

With my first experience it was fantastic. I did it with the Australia Red Cross Lifeblood. they have a app and you can book a time.

Update today - Just found out that ill be doing more donations in the future as i have the rarest type of blood "AB-"  only 1% of our population has this type. lol

• Forum Moderator

Here in the Uk they are talking about donation of blood plasma from people who have had covid for treatment of those that have it. It is worthwhile contacting your local health service both here and probably elsewhere if you feel able to help.

Tracy

19 hours ago, tracy_j said:

Here in the Uk they are talking about donation of blood plasma from people who have had covid for treatment of those that have it. It is worthwhile contacting your local health service both here and probably elsewhere if you feel able to help.

Tracy

Hi Tracy

I understand the UK is going through a hard time with covid, with lockdowns and such. Its interesting you say about people donating blood and plasma from people who had covid. Where here in Victoria, Australia we don't allow people who are infected or showing symptoms of coivd to donate as they could pass it onto patients.

I can let you know that Covid will be around for a while and being in massive lockdowns here is Victoria did help but it wont stop it. If they do some lockdown and mask wearing over in the UK that will help as our economy in Victoria is really bad with high unemployment rate and most shops closed due to the lock down. 

Our thoughts and preys to the family's and friends that are in the UK are safe and well. we all want this to finish and get back to normal.

Jordan

• Forum Moderator

Hi Jordan, yes it is bad with the lockdowns. I think the government have been clutching at straws a bit as they fail to cope. I saw an advert last night which brought it home to me a bit that maybe the blood transfusion service is having trouble coping. This was for donation for people suffering sickle cell anaemia. This mainly affects coloured people so they were asking for more specific donors. The request for people who have had covid was for plasma to treat those who are in a bad way with covid, I think, so not really a risk to the general population. The blood service is open but I suspect they are doing stringent checks with normal donations. I heard about your strict lockdown. I wonder how it would be received here. I hope it sorts things down there. I have always wondered though as it only really delays things but at least there seems to be vaccines on the way now.

Tracy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• ElizabethStar
    • Teri Anne
    • SheenaT
    • AgnesBardsie
    • Shay
    • Delcina B
    • DeeDee
    • Mia Marie
    • KimmieElise
    • Jackie C.
    • 2beBreanna
    • KymmieL
    • Iris
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

SwedeGirl
    Newest Member
    SwedeGirl

1. jowilla
      jowilla
    • Mia Marie
      This month I am 6 months on HRT. Had my 3 month appointment yesterday and I was told that my testosterone went to an undetectable level. She had me back off to a half tab of my T-blocker at night and I have to disolve my estrogen under my tongue. She also told me she might put me on injectable estrogen if the levels don't raise enough. I've heard people say that they prefer to inject  over the pill. I'm open to it as the taste and grit feeling is a little nasty with putting it under my tongue lol. The good news is my CBC's are back to normal. I hope my a1c comes back normal. I am so tired of getting more pills to take and I would hate to have to completely change my eating habits as a diabetic. That would really suck. 
    • Jackie C.
      That has to be hard. My mother does not approve of my trans-ness or my gay-ness ("It's a phase." "You just have low T." "You're confused!") and if I was in a similar situation to yours I would definitely be out on the street. Dad was surprisingly OK with it, but she dominates and manipulates him on the regular. Fortunately, I was financially independent and living on my own long before I came out.   You might be pleasantly surprised if you come out. Like I've said though, I prefer to hope for the best while planning for the worst. Maybe your own place is a little ambitious. Your own place with one or more roommates might be more affordable. Maybe a friend lets you crash for a bit while you get back on your own feet. Maybe you just live in your van for a while (I'm assuming you have a van in this scenario), until your bills are under control again. The point being that you need a way to move forward. Maybe it's just a little bit but progress towards our goals are important for our mental health. Good luck!   Hugs!
    • Shay
      @Willow Farmer I needed to hear some beautiful soft music this morning and your post filled the bill. Very pretty music. Thank you.
    • Mia Marie
      I have been feeling more alone lately. I feel even more alone each time my dad says bad things about someone who is not straight. Makes it harder and harder to know soon enough I will have to tell him and it scares me something fierce to think it will go extremely bad. My coming out to him now could put me on the homeless list and I can't deal with something like that. My bills keep going up so money for my own place is still a little out of the question. It seems like the more I try to get things going right, the harder some things get.
    • SheenaT
    • SheenaT
    • Shay
      I feel at standstill or plateau today and need a little hope - looked up songs of hope and the top 1 was a song I play in a band and love playing bass and singing harmonies - thank you Mr. Harrison - I'm glad you took a walk in Eric Clapton's garden.    
    • JustineM
      Good morning ladies, gentlemen and others. Today is going to be a huge day for me. Currently at my Primary drs to get my medical clearance for HRT and this afternoon is the therapist appointment to get my letter of recommendation!! Kind of nervous, after all the trials and tears this is getting SO close to being a thing. 
    • JustineM
      Unseen but there is a new bra and my favorite black skirt. Going to multiple appointments today. Had time to do my nails last night. Got a new base coat and top coat so we’ll see how long these last.
    • Shay
      This is for me - I feel at a plateau or standstill and I want more and wish family and surgery were closer..............  
    • Shay
      Feel standstill in transition WANT MORE.
    • Red_Lauren.
      That's how I have felt for the last 20 or so years. I'm just glad I'm seeing some physical results this quick. I figured I might have seen maybe some thing around fall, and I didn't think it would have been like this. Maybe ill get blessed, or maybe this will be all I get. Either way I still have a long way to go. 
    • Jackie C.
      They're both good looks, but my sweater equation is usually. If cold, then sweater. If NOT cold, then no sweater.   Of course I'm dealing with a wig, so removing layers if I get overheated can be a tremendous pain in the butt.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Heh, don't worry about it. I have envy for like 90% of other women. I know it's the dysphoria talking most of the time.   Hugs!
    • Red_Lauren.
      Sorry if I made you jealous. I know how that feels. I can't wait to tell my girlfriend's. I know they will find it funny that im acting like every teenage girl when they notice they have breast. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.