• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The road behind me.

RadicalEmma

(This isn't what I set out to write, but this is what emerged, so here's a friendly hello to start things off before I delve way too far into my entire self-history. Hello! Thank you for having this space and allowing me to have a place within it.)

So... I've lived nearly four decades on the planet with depression, anxiety, and this innate, nigh-unknowable feeling that something was off. I used to joke about having a highly developed feminine side as a teenager. I didn't realize at the time I may have been trying to push through my own barriers with that jest.

My late 20s and onward, I'd daydream about being "a woman born," not understanding that trans women were women and thus relegating any hope for self-femininity to a future/past life. My depression and anxiety sharpened, developing  panic disorder to add to the fun. Medications were sought for relief and resisted in the same breath, but ultimately surrendered to as an unwanted necessity. 

When I turned 30, my birth father decided to take a photo of my mother and I and combine them in photoshop into an amalgam of the two of us. This photo irked me, mocking me with hair I had been losing since 18 and a self I'd denied since my inception. I laughed, good-naturedly at the time, but the murmurs of the tectonic shift coming within were present, had I been willing to pay attention. 

Two years ago, I tried to broach the subject with my mother, but quickly dropped that idea when it became apparent that neither of us were in a good place for those sorts of revelations. I retreated and repressed the feelings again. 

A month ago, I took a selfie. I played with the available filters and (by chance? Probably not) gender-swapped myself. I was so startled by the girl staring out of the void that I wept... because I had never ever previously liked a photo of or containing myself until that moment and it wasn't even a truly genuine picture, only an algorithm wiping away facial hair, smoothing skin, and adding the almost amber tresses I craved with such ease. Unlike other selfies, that one is still on my phone, my most genuine illusory self ever. 

The walls I'd put up had cracked and let so much light in finally that my eyes were beginning to readjust to the possibility that I could still embrace the prisoner of my self, perhaps my truest self... and nourish her from the girl I'd locked up based on the unspoken advice of shame and society... into a powerful woman in her own right. 

Last week, I began pulling down these Berlin walls within, fragment by fragment. My therapist. A group of lovely women who had walked the path before me, but who were otherwise unknown to me on Zoom. Some select and trusted friends. My mother. One coworker. Myself. I came out again and again, and I'll continue to come out. 

My male self has not always been kind to me, but he has not done with any sort of malice in mind, only ignorance and fear, so I can forgive him and let him set these burdens down soon. He has done what he could in a poor situation with what was at hand, admittedly not much. Still, he acted admirably and hobbled toward his own undoing with as much grace and aplomb as I could hope for, laying down now that I have asked him to... to make way for her truth, her birth, as it were.

When she is strong enough to start walking into this transition, I hope to have the tools ready to allow her to learn to be what I could not on my own... herself... and that she is strong enough to be or become whomever she chooses on the long journey that remains.  

• Admin

Welcome Emma, your story dovetails nicely into the other stories told here and makes you a very real part of what we have here.  Every one of us on the site can empathize with the steps you have gone through so far and will be as helpful as we can to share our journeys of the steps you will be taking.

I will wipe my eyes now because that hit me hard, and extend a warm welcome to you, Emma. Welcome to this marvelous place!

• Forum Moderator

Hello Emma.  Well, your story wasn't that Radical, at least for us here.  Coming out can be liberating and I hope your story is accepted by those you love.  In many ways our prior male self was there to protect us until this moment.  At times he might have fallen asleep on watch but for the most part I'm sure he did a good job.  Move forward happily.

Cheers, Jani

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Emma.  Like you i hated seeing my face in photographs.  Something was simply wrong.  Today i understand why. I can enjoy seeing images of myself with in photographs or in the mirror!  Like you my hair was a problem but i've found that wearing a wig is not much different than a baseball cap except perhaps that i wear it in the house as well as outside.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Hi Emma,

Welcome to Transpulse.I'm glad you're here! 

Lots of love and a big welcome hug,

Timber Wolf🐾

Heather Nicole

Hi, @RadicalEmma! Nice to meet you! ❤️ I like your writing style.

From your backstory, it sounds like we have a lot in common. And we're about the same age, too!

Between your awesome username and utterly adorable profile image, do I detect another Bebop fan??

Hi Emma!  nice to meet you, and Welcome!

That a beautiful Introduction you wrote.  Thank you for sharing❣️

From the others' comments I am sure you can feel this is a Welcoming community, and I am happy you are here. 
Like Jani said ..

On 11/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, Jani said:

In many ways our prior male self was there to protect us until this moment.

I too may have some regrets, but I feel I can move forward and still accept that version of myself as an essential part of my journey.  Happy you are making such positive progress already.

Deep breaths ... one step at a time

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)

• Petra Jane
    • CBabe
    • VickySGV
    • Nikki1276
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Ellie Jean
    Newest Member
    Ellie Jean

No users celebrating today
    • VickySGV
      The Maronist Christian philosopher poet Ravindranath Tagore put it into just a couple of lines for us --   While God waits for God's temple to be built of love    Men bring stones!      
    • Vanessa Michelle
      OMG this is insane! 🥺
    • gina-nicole-t
      I feel that I am more of an Agnostic even though I grew up in a Christian home. I will elaborate on that. I had a class during my Bachelor's Degree called Logic and Critical Thinking and that was the best class I could ever have had. It was the class that had the biggest breakthrough on my life as a trans-woman and a person. The instructor showed us that a lot of our parents used "do as I say not as I do" logic on us as children. That was the ah-ha moment for me. My parents who were faithful members of the church used that on my for as long as I could remember, as well as being abusive to me.  This is the main reason that I have not been back to Church in a very long time. I cannot reconcile what they did as religious people, and the religion I was brought up in as their stance against me as transgender. Don't get me wrong I believe in God, and Jesus. I just don't believe that I have to attend any organized religion to worship them.  If there is a book chapter and verse that says I have to do that show me, because I don't believe it exists.  Warmest regards, Gina
    • TTheta
      This is really disheartening, may he find peace :((
    • TTheta
      Sorry I didn't see this sooner, OF COURSE WE CAN :DD
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @RachelSB I am here too unfortunately. I am turning 46 next week and have the George Costanza style, only much less and thinner hair Lol. It sucks. It actually was emotionally painful for me when I first started accepting myself as trans because I felt like a fraud and that I was not nor ever would be a real woman. I have since agreed with a message I received from @Jackie C. that it is fun trying new wigs and I have decided when the time comes I will choose to find the joy in my circumstances and I'm gonna rock whatever wig I get. You will too girl! ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      I really like this feature. As soon as I figured this out, I have been following the Introductions Forum for a while so I see each time a new person introduces themself because I think it is important to welcome them and I love seeing new members and reading their stores. Thx mods for having this feature available to us! ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @Samantha2020thank you so much for joining the group and for being so open about your struggles and your journey ❤️ I can identify with much of it as well. I really felt for you as I read it and I am so proud of you for taking the steps you have and for joining TP. Please feel free to reach out to us and to post as you need to as it does help to chat with others in this process. We also have a Christian channel on here if you are interested in chatting with others in our faith community there. Many of us grew up in the Church and have, just like you found out through trial and error, that God doesn't change our orientation and loves us exactly as we are. I'm so glad you have joined us and I look forward to talking with you more. ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      Awesome! @MisterJaxI love seeing new members get involved and connecting with others like this. Again, welcome! ❤️
    • VickySGV
      Puerto Rico has not been treated well by the rest of the U.S. and struggling people who have been kicked around by those who should help them start looking for others to blame for their struggles, we know the blame is on the U.S. agencies who withheld economic and direct aid, but they can't kick mainland Federal agencies around, so it is the weakest who are the whipping boys and girls.
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @CD RachelHi! It's https://community.qchristian.org/ QCF is an affirming Christian organization of LGBTQ+ people and has its own forums site. I was told about it by a friend of mine who has volunteered for them before and also Kathy Baldock's and Matthew Vines's work (both Christians). If you join, I am on there by the same user name as here. I would love to connect to more believers here or there. I think it helps us in the process to see and hear others who love Jesus and are not straight and who also know he loves us so ridiculously much too! ❤️
    • Heather Nicole
      (I know I'm nerding myself out with this answer, and most won't get the reference, but...) Major Kusonagi has a way via advanced prosthetic shell, but you have to live in a futuristic cyberpunk fiction. Upside though, is you also get invisibility. I'm on the waiting list.   In other news...I've now joined the trans-ranks and decided that face masks are seriously awesome ...I was just at the grocery store earlier this evening, I wasn't even trying to pass, but I still got accidentally correctly-gendered!!! I guess my long wavy hair (definitely my favorite feature right now by far...heeehee), zircon earrings, overweight "moobs", and face mask covering up most of my beard must've been enough to tip the scales. Considering I've been feeling rather self-doubty/impostor syndrome this week, that surprise just absolutely made my day!   I was in the checkout line, nobody behind me, just one guy ahead of me but he had already paid and was putting his bags in his cart. As the cashier (a really adorable college-aged young gal) was scanning my items, another employee came by to start bagging my items. I guess the bagger must've gotten confused and started trying to hand my bags to the previous customer because as I was going through my wallet, I heard the cashier girl say "Oh, those are his"...but then she quickly stopped and corrected herself..."Er, I mean hers".   "Hers"??!?!?   There was nobody else around she could've been talking about except me. My heart just about leapt out of my chest and I was just on cloud nine all the way out to the car, like I'd just won the lottery or something. Of course, all of a sudden I couldn't bring myself to use my voice any more than absolutely necessary. Instant voice dysphoria, but you know what, in this case, I'll take it!   @ElizabethStar OMG, congrats so much on all that validation!!! 🎉  And also on your birthday, too! 🍰   I may be technically "out" to my mom, but I still haven't felt like I'm at a point yet where I'd feel right asking her to switch pronouns for me. So I can imagine just how special getting a card like must be. So happy for you!!!  
    • ElizabethStar
      It's too late for coffee but.......   For some reason I was compelled to check the mail today. Not surprising there was a birthday card from my mother. I just figured it was the normal everyday card but it wasn't. The first word I read, in a big scripted font was "Daughter". Right there in front of me, a card from my mother, to her daughter. Honestly I didn't really know if my mother would ever truly accept me. Now...I do. I really wanted to cry (not in front of the wife) but I will cherish that card forever.   Before dinner I found myself out getting lottery tickets. The jackpot is somewhere around 6-700mil. The ATM is broken at the first store I went to (closest to my house) and won't let you pay for 'em with a debt card. A random customer piped-up and suggested where I could go. I headed out. The cashier there was extremely friendly, very helpful and kind of cute. When I was checking out he looked at me, in a sweet little voice, said "I know *****'s no your name, what is it? I just replied "Elizabeth". He then tells me what beautiful name I have. After he said that I did hear anything else. Holy crap! Did I just get hit on? or was he just flirting with me? When I told my wife she used what is becoming her standard reply, "This is what you asked for". What I asked for? Yeah...well, we'll talk about that at a later time. If it's what she has to do to settle with my transition so be it.   After dinner I got another happy surprise. For kicks I checked my work email. There was a message from HR. He asked me if I wanted my new insurance and benefits cards to have Elizabeth on them. We can do that? I'd love that. There have been a few things getting to me lately and I needed some love.
    • JustineM
      Well I’m sitting here trying not to ugly cry. The calls to my Dad and brother went amazingly well. My brother said it didn’t bother him and he was glad I was taking steps to be happy. Dad almost immediately offered to help cover therapy and HRT med costs. Said he loved me and that would never change. He did say that he wouldn’t stop calling me his son, though given his age and the way he was raised I didn’t really expect him too. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/transgender-man-fatally-shot-puerto-rico-n1254313   There have been seven killings of trans people just in Puerto Rico in the last 12 months.  May Samuel rest in peace and justice found for his killers.   Carolyn Marie
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.