Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Support for AFAB people who don't bind/don't bind often?


Rae Alex Bright

Recommended Posts

Rae Alex Bright

Hi I'm new here :)

 

I apologize in advance but I literally didn't know where to put this so it's going in the general questions and answers section.

 

I've identified as nonbinary for about three years, and have been relatively comfortable with that identity. I do find that I identify more with the trans label overall now though however, especially as I am thinking I might be transmasculine. Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm AFAB, and I have relatively large breasts (unfortunately). I have three GC2B medium binders which work pretty well, although I've never been completely flat before. The issue is, I have intertrigo under my breasts that is often triggered by me wearing a binder, sports bra, no bra, or basically anything that doesn't physically lift the breasts up and stop them from chafing.

 

I do experience chest dysphoria, however not so badly that I feel I need to bind all the time. I love how I look when I'm binding, but equally, my quality of life is literally impaired when I do because of my skin conditions. Sometimes it is so extreme that it bleeds and oozes and it just really is not pleasant at all. It makes me feel thoroughly miserable.

 

I feel that if I don't bind, I won't get taken seriously as a nonbinary/trans person, which I know is silly. If one of my trans guy friends ever told me he'd stopped binding I wouldn't judge him a bit. He's a man, binder or no binder. Yet when I try to apply this to myself I can't see myself as anything but a very obviously AFAB person. If I had a much smaller chest I would honestly feel so much better as they wouldn't be as noticeable.

 

I suppose this is less of a question, and more of me trying to find support or people with similar issues. Are there any of AFAB nonbinary people/transmascs out here with similar issues? How do y'all deal with it? Are there any tips anyone can give me on self acceptance and positivity/encouragement for transmascs who don't/can't bind very often/at all? Thanks :)

Link to post

Hi Rae Alex Bright

2 hours ago, Rae Alex Bright said:

I've identified as nonbinary for about three years, and have been relatively comfortable with that identity. I do find that I identify more with the trans label overall now though however, especially as I am thinking I might be transmasculine.

I started out thinking "nonbinary" myself.  But that didn't last.

Since I am going in the opposite direction, I can't really speak to your issue.  But there are people here who can.

Link to post
  • Admin

Hi Rae!   I looked up the skin issue, since I myself have rotating problems from the normal bacteria and yeasts that live on my skin, I had not had mine called the name you use, but now that I see what it is, I would talk to my PCP doctor for a dermatology referral and see if they can prescribe a medication that will keep the condition under control, I know there are a couple of body sprays that can control it.  If you are under a doctor's care for it, then of course  keep it up.  I actually have problems under my breasts as well.  Mine are small and saggy which is where the irritation takes place.  Any compression, whether bra or binder or even compression shirts are going to trap moisture I am sorry to say.  A cotton T-shirt under the spandex garments and peeking out can help wick away some of the moisture, but you will need to get the clothing -- all of it -- off after a certain time period and let your skin air dry and to use the prescribed or recommend medications to keep it in check. 

 

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright

Thank you for your advice. I am not under any medical supervision for my skin conditions and I have been thinking after lockdown I really should go and have a proper check over. It tends to get worse in the winter as the air is dryer. I'm thinking a steroid cream might help to clear it up, as it did with my eczema. I've head that some people wear a cotton vest or undershirt under their binders/sports bras/bras, so I might give that a go :)

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator

Ok yikes, eczema. Yeah I can see that. My bra strap causes break-outs all the freaking time. I moisturize like a fiend. Especially in the winter. Use the steroid cream sparingly. My doctor gives me a stern finger waggling when I overindulge.

 

So yeah. Moisturize the heck out of that.

 

Hugs!

Link to post

Speaking from experience, if you wear a button-down shirt over your regular shirt, and leave the button-down open, so that the chest outline is obscured, you can pass as male even if you don't bind. But I thought maybe what you were looking for from your initial post is, support for obviously having a larger chest and still wanting to be recognized as male, even if you don't try to hide the chest size. If so, consider me one of those who thinks we need more "this is also what a trans man looks like" in our world. If you're healthier without binding, there is no transgender law that says you have to do it.

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator

I also have a large chest and binders do something but not much and I used to over wear binders. Though I find that when I do wear binders, I feel even more unhappy that it actually didn't make me have a flat chest, so I don't typically wear my binder at home (Could also be because my parents never let me buy a good binder, even though I have my own money) so if you get what I am saying, I feel even worse when I wear my binder because it doesn't do what I thought it would do. I kinda get my own hopes up too high for something I got for free. 

 

Luckily I am moving soon and can start my transition :)) 

Link to post

Hey :)

So, I'm AFAB like you, and trans, and don't own a binder at the moment, even if I'm considering buying one because I feel a lot of chest dysphoria at the moment. I do have large breasts, which isn't helping, and even if I wear a large jacket and baggy clothes people still read my shape as feminine and it makes me so desperate at the moment, so I really feel you... I mean I put a lot of effort into trying to pass as masculine and people see me and instantly think I'm a woman, so... I'm not sure I have any real tips for you, but I give you my support. And truly you're not alone AT ALL with this issue. I've been thinking about the way I don't pass all day, so... Just to tell you that yes, you're not any less of a man if you don't wear a binder. And you can be a man or whatever you are without having to conform to what other transgender people do. I personnally feel like wearing a binder isn't especially such a masculine thing to do even if it helps with chest dyphoria, so please, stay healthly, and I hope you'll find tricks for that problem soon !

Link to post

Welcome Rae,

 

I'm not long into my transition so I can offer only a limited experience, but here it is

 

I don't bind, I use a sports bra, because the idea of squeezing my chest cavity and pushing my organs down is awful to me. Plus how uncomfortable it is. So I make do with playing with clothes that don't outline the chest.

 

That said, what helps me feel better with myself is not so much if my breasts show or not. It depends on how much connection I have with my masculine side. I feel way more confident and at ease when I focus on my connection with myself, my name, my real identity, than when I focus on how I look.

 

 

 

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator

To solve this I just wear a really baggy hoodie, which I know only makes me look smaller, but hides my chest to some degree, I also wear coats which help :)) 

Link to post
Heather Nicole

I'm not sure I can be of any help, and I'm sorry if I'm not (I'm an AMAB questioning things, maybe transfeminine, maybe MtF, we'll see how therapy goes). But if I can offer anything, I think it's maybe worth pointing out that even a lot of AMABs, particularly ones with some extra bodyweight (which is a LOT of people these days, and definitely includes me ever since I was 13!) have entirely noticeable "chest twins". But, for these people, really nobody thinks anything of it, or even gives it a second glance. Such people are far more likely to be called out as overweight than have any gender-related attention paid to their less than flat chest. (And even being called out as overweight is pretty rare anymore, given how common it's become.)

 

And yes, I realize maybe it's not exactly the same thing. I understand you've mentioned non-binary as a possibility. And sure, there can be technical differences in the underlying internal tissue in the chest. And there can be shape differences (but then, everyone with anything on their chest has different shapes and proportions going on anyway.) But I think it may be worth trying to keep in mind that there are a lot of people in this world (again, like me!) with plain-as-day twin protrusions on their chests, that nobody would mistake for being a ciswomen. (And don't forget, pectoral muscles are also twin-upper-chest-protrusions, too!!)

 

Although we don't usually think about things this way on a conscious level, everyone these days really is so accustomed to seeing guys (and amabs like me) with less-than-flat chests, so that as long as the other cues suggest "not a ciswoman", people will see you and register "not a woman" before their subconscious will even notice your chest.

 

At least, that's my 2 cents (2 pence?) anyway. If it helps, then great, if not and I'm way off-base, then just kindly disregard! ;)

 

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright
14 hours ago, DonkeySocks said:

Speaking from experience, if you wear a button-down shirt over your regular shirt, and leave the button-down open, so that the chest outline is obscured, you can pass as male even if you don't bind. But I thought maybe what you were looking for from your initial post is, support for obviously having a larger chest and still wanting to be recognized as male, even if you don't try to hide the chest size. If so, consider me one of those who thinks we need more "this is also what a trans man looks like" in our world. If you're healthier without binding, there is no transgender law that says you have to do it.

Thank you, this actually helped a lot. I'm actually wearing an open flannel under a sweatshirt as we speak and you know, I've never looked at it that way before but I guess you're right! My chest isn't particularly visible at all even though I'm not binding.

 

And I absolutely agree. We need more representation of trans men/transmascs who don't bind - especially because they don't want to. It's a valid enough reason not to bind.

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright
14 hours ago, Aidan5 said:

I also have a large chest and binders do something but not much and I used to over wear binders. Though I find that when I do wear binders, I feel even more unhappy that it actually didn't make me have a flat chest, so I don't typically wear my binder at home (Could also be because my parents never let me buy a good binder, even though I have my own money) so if you get what I am saying, I feel even worse when I wear my binder because it doesn't do what I thought it would do. I kinda get my own hopes up too high for something I got for free. 

 

Luckily I am moving soon and can start my transition :)) 

Ah yep, can relate. My binders don't make me 100% flat either and sometimes can even cause dysphoria because of it. I normally only bind if I'm going out with friends or for a special occasion. I wish you luck with your transition :)

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright
14 hours ago, MiloR said:

Hey :)

So, I'm AFAB like you, and trans, and don't own a binder at the moment, even if I'm considering buying one because I feel a lot of chest dysphoria at the moment. I do have large breasts, which isn't helping, and even if I wear a large jacket and baggy clothes people still read my shape as feminine and it makes me so desperate at the moment, so I really feel you... I mean I put a lot of effort into trying to pass as masculine and people see me and instantly think I'm a woman, so... I'm not sure I have any real tips for you, but I give you my support. And truly you're not alone AT ALL with this issue. I've been thinking about the way I don't pass all day, so... Just to tell you that yes, you're not any less of a man if you don't wear a binder. And you can be a man or whatever you are without having to conform to what other transgender people do. I personnally feel like wearing a binder isn't especially such a masculine thing to do even if it helps with chest dyphoria, so please, stay healthly, and I hope you'll find tricks for that problem soon !

Hi :)

 

Thank you for this. It was really lovely to hear tbh :D

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright
14 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Welcome Rae,

 

I'm not long into my transition so I can offer only a limited experience, but here it is

 

I don't bind, I use a sports bra, because the idea of squeezing my chest cavity and pushing my organs down is awful to me. Plus how uncomfortable it is. So I make do with playing with clothes that don't outline the chest.

 

That said, what helps me feel better with myself is not so much if my breasts show or not. It depends on how much connection I have with my masculine side. I feel way more confident and at ease when I focus on my connection with myself, my name, my real identity, than when I focus on how I look.

 

 

 

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I recently went through a (social) name change which helped a lot, and have requested that people use he/him pronouns as well as they/them. Anything that makes me look or feel more masculine helps I think.

Link to post
Rae Alex Bright
4 hours ago, Heather Nicole said:

I'm not sure I can be of any help, and I'm sorry if I'm not (I'm an AMAB questioning things, maybe transfeminine, maybe MtF, we'll see how therapy goes). But if I can offer anything, I think it's maybe worth pointing out that even a lot of AMABs, particularly ones with some extra bodyweight (which is a LOT of people these days, and definitely includes me ever since I was 13!) have entirely noticeable "chest twins". But, for these people, really nobody thinks anything of it, or even gives it a second glance. Such people are far more likely to be called out as overweight than have any gender-related attention paid to their less than flat chest. (And even being called out as overweight is pretty rare anymore, given how common it's become.)

 

And yes, I realize maybe it's not exactly the same thing. I understand you've mentioned non-binary as a possibility. And sure, there can be technical differences in the underlying internal tissue in the chest. And there can be shape differences (but then, everyone with anything on their chest has different shapes and proportions going on anyway.) But I think it may be worth trying to keep in mind that there are a lot of people in this world (again, like me!) with plain-as-day twin protrusions on their chests, that nobody would mistake for being a ciswomen. (And don't forget, pectoral muscles are also twin-upper-chest-protrusions, too!!)

 

Although we don't usually think about things this way on a conscious level, everyone these days really is so accustomed to seeing guys (and amabs like me) with less-than-flat chests, so that as long as the other cues suggest "not a ciswoman", people will see you and register "not a woman" before their subconscious will even notice your chest.

 

At least, that's my 2 cents (2 pence?) anyway. If it helps, then great, if not and I'm way off-base, then just kindly disregard! ;)

 

Thank you, this did actually help a lot. People listening to what I have to say helps to be honest haha. I've never thought about it like that, but you're definitely right. I know loads of cis men with a little bit of chest jiggle, yet no one seems to question their maleness and masculinity, so it makes perfect sense - I happen to have chest jiggle too (perhaps a bit more than I'd like), and it doesn't validate my transmasc/nonbinary identity :)

Link to post
4 hours ago, Rae Alex Bright said:

no one seems to question their maleness and masculinity, so it makes perfect sense - I happen to have chest jiggle too (perhaps a bit more than I'd like), and it doesn't validate my transmasc/nonbinary identity :)

Yay!! There you go! Time to go rock the world :) 

 

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, Rae Alex Bright said:

Ah yep, can relate. My binders don't make me 100% flat either and sometimes can even cause dysphoria because of it. I normally only bind if I'm going out with friends or for a special occasion. I wish you luck with your transition :)

Layers, that's all I can say haha. Luckily for me I am really good at wearing lots of clothes without getting over heated. Though I can also wear shorts is negative degree weather, I am a strange individual... Also good luck to you too! I hope you find the support and solution you are seeking :)) 

Link to post

I can't bind due to a physical disability, and I have a large chest. I typically wear sports bras when going out. I have tried compression shirts, but they are too uncomfortable. (I've trauma to my chest, so wearing anything that clings/compresses for too long causes severe pain.) I also live in a very humid and hot climate, so layering can be annoying. I typically just wear a sports bra, t-shirt, and sometimes a sleeveless denim jacket in the summer. Most people don't look at chests to identify people, so unless you're wearing something that makes that more obvious, it is easier to pass. I've passed just wearing a slightly baggy t-shirt. Also, the way that you carry yourself can also impact passing.  

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

    • Conner2020
    • DeeDee
    • Petra Jane
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      72,908
    • Total Posts
      668,614
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      7,907
    • Most Online
      8,356

    Ellie Jean
    Newest Member
    Ellie Jean
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Posts

    • Gabriel
      It's great to hear those uplifting stories. Thank you for sharing     @KymmieL You're in a rough place, but these pass too. Keep going and you'll get where you want to be.   My tea is delicious this morning. It must be the whack I gave yesterday to my insidious self-doubt. Feeling good today.
    • Ann W
      Those are both great stories to read.  I'm sharing in your happiness. 💜
    • VickySGV
      The Maronist Christian philosopher poet Ravindranath Tagore put it into just a couple of lines for us --   While God waits for God's temple to be built of love    Men bring stones!      
    • Vanessa Michelle
      OMG this is insane! 🥺
    • gina-nicole-t
      I feel that I am more of an Agnostic even though I grew up in a Christian home. I will elaborate on that. I had a class during my Bachelor's Degree called Logic and Critical Thinking and that was the best class I could ever have had. It was the class that had the biggest breakthrough on my life as a trans-woman and a person. The instructor showed us that a lot of our parents used "do as I say not as I do" logic on us as children. That was the ah-ha moment for me. My parents who were faithful members of the church used that on my for as long as I could remember, as well as being abusive to me.  This is the main reason that I have not been back to Church in a very long time. I cannot reconcile what they did as religious people, and the religion I was brought up in as their stance against me as transgender. Don't get me wrong I believe in God, and Jesus. I just don't believe that I have to attend any organized religion to worship them.  If there is a book chapter and verse that says I have to do that show me, because I don't believe it exists.  Warmest regards, Gina
    • TTheta
      This is really disheartening, may he find peace :((
    • TTheta
      Sorry I didn't see this sooner, OF COURSE WE CAN :DD
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @RachelSB I am here too unfortunately. I am turning 46 next week and have the George Costanza style, only much less and thinner hair Lol. It sucks. It actually was emotionally painful for me when I first started accepting myself as trans because I felt like a fraud and that I was not nor ever would be a real woman. I have since agreed with a message I received from @Jackie C. that it is fun trying new wigs and I have decided when the time comes I will choose to find the joy in my circumstances and I'm gonna rock whatever wig I get. You will too girl! ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      I really like this feature. As soon as I figured this out, I have been following the Introductions Forum for a while so I see each time a new person introduces themself because I think it is important to welcome them and I love seeing new members and reading their stores. Thx mods for having this feature available to us! ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @Samantha2020thank you so much for joining the group and for being so open about your struggles and your journey ❤️ I can identify with much of it as well. I really felt for you as I read it and I am so proud of you for taking the steps you have and for joining TP. Please feel free to reach out to us and to post as you need to as it does help to chat with others in this process. We also have a Christian channel on here if you are interested in chatting with others in our faith community there. Many of us grew up in the Church and have, just like you found out through trial and error, that God doesn't change our orientation and loves us exactly as we are. I'm so glad you have joined us and I look forward to talking with you more. ❤️
    • Vanessa Michelle
      Awesome! @MisterJaxI love seeing new members get involved and connecting with others like this. Again, welcome! ❤️
    • VickySGV
      Puerto Rico has not been treated well by the rest of the U.S. and struggling people who have been kicked around by those who should help them start looking for others to blame for their struggles, we know the blame is on the U.S. agencies who withheld economic and direct aid, but they can't kick mainland Federal agencies around, so it is the weakest who are the whipping boys and girls.
    • Vanessa Michelle
      @CD RachelHi! It's https://community.qchristian.org/ QCF is an affirming Christian organization of LGBTQ+ people and has its own forums site. I was told about it by a friend of mine who has volunteered for them before and also Kathy Baldock's and Matthew Vines's work (both Christians). If you join, I am on there by the same user name as here. I would love to connect to more believers here or there. I think it helps us in the process to see and hear others who love Jesus and are not straight and who also know he loves us so ridiculously much too! ❤️
    • Heather Nicole
      (I know I'm nerding myself out with this answer, and most won't get the reference, but...) Major Kusonagi has a way via advanced prosthetic shell, but you have to live in a futuristic cyberpunk fiction. Upside though, is you also get invisibility. I'm on the waiting list.   In other news...I've now joined the trans-ranks and decided that face masks are seriously awesome ...I was just at the grocery store earlier this evening, I wasn't even trying to pass, but I still got accidentally correctly-gendered!!! I guess my long wavy hair (definitely my favorite feature right now by far...heeehee), zircon earrings, overweight "moobs", and face mask covering up most of my beard must've been enough to tip the scales. Considering I've been feeling rather self-doubty/impostor syndrome this week, that surprise just absolutely made my day!   I was in the checkout line, nobody behind me, just one guy ahead of me but he had already paid and was putting his bags in his cart. As the cashier (a really adorable college-aged young gal) was scanning my items, another employee came by to start bagging my items. I guess the bagger must've gotten confused and started trying to hand my bags to the previous customer because as I was going through my wallet, I heard the cashier girl say "Oh, those are his"...but then she quickly stopped and corrected herself..."Er, I mean hers".   "Hers"??!?!?   There was nobody else around she could've been talking about except me. My heart just about leapt out of my chest and I was just on cloud nine all the way out to the car, like I'd just won the lottery or something. Of course, all of a sudden I couldn't bring myself to use my voice any more than absolutely necessary. Instant voice dysphoria, but you know what, in this case, I'll take it!   @ElizabethStar OMG, congrats so much on all that validation!!! 🎉  And also on your birthday, too! 🍰   I may be technically "out" to my mom, but I still haven't felt like I'm at a point yet where I'd feel right asking her to switch pronouns for me. So I can imagine just how special getting a card like must be. So happy for you!!!  
    • ElizabethStar
      It's too late for coffee but.......   For some reason I was compelled to check the mail today. Not surprising there was a birthday card from my mother. I just figured it was the normal everyday card but it wasn't. The first word I read, in a big scripted font was "Daughter". Right there in front of me, a card from my mother, to her daughter. Honestly I didn't really know if my mother would ever truly accept me. Now...I do. I really wanted to cry (not in front of the wife) but I will cherish that card forever.   Before dinner I found myself out getting lottery tickets. The jackpot is somewhere around 6-700mil. The ATM is broken at the first store I went to (closest to my house) and won't let you pay for 'em with a debt card. A random customer piped-up and suggested where I could go. I headed out. The cashier there was extremely friendly, very helpful and kind of cute. When I was checking out he looked at me, in a sweet little voice, said "I know *****'s no your name, what is it? I just replied "Elizabeth". He then tells me what beautiful name I have. After he said that I did hear anything else. Holy crap! Did I just get hit on? or was he just flirting with me? When I told my wife she used what is becoming her standard reply, "This is what you asked for". What I asked for? Yeah...well, we'll talk about that at a later time. If it's what she has to do to settle with my transition so be it.   After dinner I got another happy surprise. For kicks I checked my work email. There was a message from HR. He asked me if I wanted my new insurance and benefits cards to have Elizabeth on them. We can do that? I'd love that. There have been a few things getting to me lately and I needed some love.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...