• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Covid quarantine weight gain anyone else?

Teri Anne

Still doing the more vegan route but stopped the raw vegan thing because I was packing on weight like crazy and that is what I don't need.

I did more research and found going raw vegan that weight gain was a common thing. I wish I had found that out first.

I am so mad at myself and so embarrassed how big I have gotten.

I vow I will not give up and I will lose weight this year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teri Anne

• rainflower

• Jackie C.

• Maddee

• Forum Moderator

Raw foods cause weight gain? Who knew, okay I could see that with sweet fruits such as pineapples?and peaches?. Raw vegetables are always touted as great for you. 

We we all get discouraged when we hit a weight loss plateau, and seem to hover at the same weight even though we're eating and exercising. Warmer weather is on the way and opportunities to get out and walk will be easier. 

Hugs, best wishes and stay positive,

Mindy???

Thanks.

I try to be positive and I am most of the time but its discouraging every time you step on the scale its  4 or 5 lbs higher than it was last time.

Especially hard when you are trying to  change what you eat to be healthier and you just keep getting bigger.

My goal is to lose  100 lbs at least no matter how long it takes.

• 1 month later...

Had a Dr appt today all was fine internally and numbers were good but my weight was up again. 339 lbs (highest ever :( )

Got the lose weight speech which I figured I would get so this time she set me up with a nutritionist.

I am all for it and I hope it will help.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with weight. Just try to eat a normal balanced diet, 3 meals a day, keeps snacks out of the house, and track what you eat, and slowly cut back. Make sure you are getting enough protein and fat in your diet, those can help fill you up, especially fat in milk if you can drink it. Other than that, only drink water, or black coffee or plain tea if you need some caffeine. Yes there are a lot of things in a raw vegan diet that are packed with calories and are easy to eat in large quantities, so don't feel bad about that. If you have any questions or want to talk about it let me know.

Thanks Claire if I feel the need I will.

She also told me stopping the "raw" vegan was the right thing to do.

I sure hope my nutritionist can help steer me in the right direction I am so tired of being this big.

I struggled with weight gain after a couple of brain surgeries when I was younger and I’ve had a naturopath for about 25 yrs now. Initially he had me try going dietarily vegan and I did that for about 3 years but had some issues with vitamin deficiencies but iron deficiency was always a serious struggle. I went back to organic meats and fish which helped the iron issue and I switched to a complete 90 essential nutrient complex that helped my metabolism stabilize and function properly. Since then as long as I don’t eat too much fruit it’s a lot easier to keep off the weight I gained ( I gained almost 150lbs). Now it’s only whole foods ,  about 85% veg and almost zero grain. I ferment veggies which is awesome for  gut flora, had leaky gut too. My gut flora was almost nonexistent because of so much antibiotics.  It took some time and effort to make it my lifestyle and I won’t say it’s the end all for everyone, no 2 bodies are the same, far from it, but it worked for me. Food for thought ...

Thanks for the input Kelli.

My Dr has said my metabolism is very slow.

Most of my problem is me I can't control myself sometimes.

1 hour ago, Teri Anne said:

Thanks for the input Kelli.

My Dr has said my metabolism is very slow.

Most of my problem is me I can't control myself sometimes.

Lots of people struggle with that! I will go thru a bag of chips and two containers of hot sauce in two days... One of my secrets to staying thin is not having a lot of tasty food at home, it is mostly just meals I have to cook, which are not stellar but I get by, and I find cooking laborsome. My treat right now has been allowing myself sugary cereal like Lucky Charms at night. Otherwise I have no sweets, chips, baked goods, alcohol, chocolate, etc. in the apartment. Our mood impacts it too, because this past week or two I did not feel great about myself and binged on the chips and hot sauce, but I am good now for a while.

I am not all that into sweets or fried food but I do cook a lot. Asian, Latin cuisine  are my faves to prepare.

I do Cajun and down home BBQ too.

I have binging issues and have times I eat for hours on end.

Then I feel bad for eating so much knowing its making me bigger.

We all have our issues I suppose.

Just a thought, have you looked into vegan keto? Lots of yummy stuff at first glance.. I know what you mean about the super slow metabolism though it’s rough... there’s definitely a scientific curve when trying to get certain types of metabolisms working properly... a lot of hit and miss, but something will do the trick it’s just finding it that’s the problem ? 

I go through cycles of losing weight, keeping it off and then putting some or most of it back on.  It just takes dedication and will power not having sweets around the house helps.  I just finished losing 45 lbs when COVID started and I started HRT.  Over the last year I have only put on 10lbs thankfully and I'm motivated to lose it since I don't look as feminine in my opinion with that extra weight.  It does take time to lose weight with only diet and exercise but I find it worth while as I slowly get my body back into reasonable fitness shape, and back down on the weight I have put on over the last year.

I have read up on Keto and not sure about it and will wait to see what my nutritionist has to say about it.

I am not sure doing  vegan is right for me either. I have gained so much weight while doing a vegan platform.

Not into cakes and cookies which is a good thing so I won't have to worry about giving that stuff up LOL.

I'm just a mess and just seem eat too much too often.

I so appreciate the comments I really do.

It helps me know I am not alone in the struggle.

Most of my friends are overweight. They discuss diets, but only one of them has managed to lose weight (like 60 lbs) after lockdown. Besides the obvious (avoiding food with lots of sugar, alcohol, fat), this person's approach was to eat significantly smaller portions. No vegan diet, no protein diet... Eat many different things, just quite smaller portions.

Of course, each person is different, so we should always check with an endocrinologist or nutritionist, but I was struck by the approach and its effectiveness. Eating a wide variety of things keeps you from craving all the forbidden stuff.

That makes perfect sense to me Beatriz.

I don't drink alcohol but do cook with it every now and then.

I hope my nutritionist comes up with a plan like that or at least agrees in the theory anyway.

Portion control is going to be so hard but It needs to be part of the plan and finding a way to stop binge eating.

The binge eating is a mental thing I need to deal with somehow.

I eat 3 small meals, and graze on a few things like almonds or carrots if I am extra hungry. I wouldn't say a lot of what I eat is healthy tho, it is just small portions.

Teri have you seen a therapist before about the binge eating?

Not a licensed  eating disorder therapist but I have gone to Over eaters anonymous  meetings and discussed it with others.

Ok, I'm glad you've been able to have that support. I would encourage you to seek professional help if you can. I went in circles on some things in years until I found the right therapist.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first meeting with the nutritionist and all was positive.

We went thru a long list of food options, whats good, whats not so good and what to stay away from.

Hope this works.

@Teri Anne Glad to hear that. I hope the "good" list gives you ample possibilities. Often we limit ourselves to a small range of recipes. Enlarging the set of recipes makes the "good" list virtually bigger. I hope you find your way to make it work!

Thanks I hope so too.

My weight has been so out of control  for a while and in the last year its gotten to the point I have gotten so large simple things are getting harder to do.

Walking distances or tying my shoes even getting in and out of my Jeep is a struggle.

2 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

Thanks I hope so too.

My weight has been so out of control  for a while and in the last year its gotten to the point I have gotten so large simple things are getting harder to do.

Walking distances or tying my shoes even getting in and out of my Jeep is a struggle.

I'm glad I hope you get the help you need. Keep trying, just keep moving, even if it is a struggle.