• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Covid quarantine weight gain anyone else?

Teri Anne

Overeating compulsively lately.

I'm scared. 

Don't want to throw away all I worked for.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teri Anne

• rainflower

• Jackie C.

• Maddee

On 5/20/2021 at 2:15 AM, Maddee said:

Overeating compulsively lately.

I'm scared. 

Don't want to throw away all I worked for.

Hey Madee. Take some time to reconnect with your "why" and goals. What kinds of things are triggering the eating?

2 hours ago, rainflower said:

Hey Madee. Take some time to reconnect with your "why" and goals. What kinds of things are triggering the eating?

Not sure what you mean by why, other than to be a healthy candidate for surgery and to look good passing as female.  When I'm heavier, the weight takes away my feminity instead of enhancing it.

My goal was 162 lbs.  I'm 5'10" and med hvy build.

Triggers are stress from work, uncertainty about my transition path, and despair due to lack of $, and feelings of being too late, missing out

• Forum Moderator

Weight is just a number. The goal should be to be happy with the way you look. I'm 5' 11" and around 190 pounds. I look pretty good. Most days, even *I* can see it. ?

The point being that there are a LOT of variables that go into your weight. Build. Muscle Mass. Etc... you just need to be a healthy weight for you.

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Maddee said:

Not sure what you mean by why, other than to be a healthy candidate for surgery and to look good passing as female.  When I'm heavier, the weight takes away my feminity instead of enhancing it.

My goal was 162 lbs.  I'm 5'10" and med hvy build.

Triggers are stress from work, uncertainty about my transition path, and despair due to lack of $, and feelings of being too late, missing out

It sounds like your why is to be a healthy candidate for surgery and to help you pass. There is also eating healthier, as you feel bad after eating the large amounts of food. 

Is there anything you can do about the work stress? And if not, are there things you can do at home to lessen it and provide stress relief? For me, it is quiet time and reading fiction, or doing a puzzle or lego. I will also go for a walk or do my Switch fitness boxing, getting some exercise can help if you aren't getting much movement. If your work is physically demanding, can you do something at home to relieve aches and pains. The point is to do some intentional things that take care of you.

What is uncertain about your transition path? The $ can be a source of stress for many people, and it is usually due to a lack of control and oversight. Can you make a basic budget, with $ goals, and make decisions on how you will spend your money? Sometimes having a lot of money isn't about making a lot of money, but rather how you are spending it.

Being late to the game is hard, I am too. I sometimes find myself getting stuck on thoughts of the past, how things could have been different. But, I do what I can to get out of that mindset (usually with distraction or a meditation) and focus on what I can do now. If you continue to struggle with this, as well as uncertainty about your transition, I have found the Trevor chat line helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Still dealing with trying to keep on the set plan by my nutritionist.  I have cut portion size at meal time but have had days were I binge eat because I am so hungry.

I know my weight is up again because I can barely fit in my fave jeans now. I mean I can squeeze into them just can't button or zip them up. I am too afraid to step on the scales at this point.

2 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

I know my weight is up again because I can barely fit in my fave jeans now.

Aug 27th, 2020, I was 248 lbs. I went strict carnivore diet. 8 oz meat/fish twice a day, pretzels for snacks. Only Water 4 camelbaks minimum per day. Lost 60 lbs as of 1 May (188). Switched to mediterranean 1 April. Down to 182 as of today 6/1. Mediterranean is 8 oz of fish for lunch. 8-10 oz salad (no meat) for dinner. Yes bacon bits, croutons, dressing.  Cheat too. candy, sugar (350 cals max every two days).

Biggest trick i think is no carbohydrates, ie no bread, no cakes, no processed meats, etc.  Target weight is 173 by Aug 27th 2021. I'm 5'-10"  Moderate excercise.

It'll take a year or so but come this time 2022, you'll be happy with your progress.  I hope you succeed.

Fish was on my list too but I can't stand fish its the smell and texture I can't stand.

I did OK today and stayed on course had a salad for dinner and it was really good.

Tomorrow being meat night so I am going to do sort of  a stir fry. Lots of veggies and very little meat( chicken) but tofu will be in it as well  I will do a salad at lunch time.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, rainflower said:

It sounds like your why is to be a healthy candidate for surgery and to help you pass. There is also eating healthier, as you feel bad after eating the large amounts of food. 

Is there anything you can do about the work stress? And if not, are there things you can do at home to lessen it and provide stress relief? For me, it is quiet time and reading fiction, or doing a puzzle or lego. I will also go for a walk or do my Switch fitness boxing, getting some exercise can help if you aren't getting much movement. If your work is physically demanding, can you do something at home to relieve aches and pains. The point is to do some intentional things that take care of you.

What is uncertain about your transition path? The $ can be a source of stress for many people, and it is usually due to a lack of control and oversight. Can you make a basic budget, with $ goals, and make decisions on how you will spend your money? Sometimes having a lot of money isn't about making a lot of money, but rather how you are spending it.

Being late to the game is hard, I am too. I sometimes find myself getting stuck on thoughts of the past, how things could have been different. But, I do what I can to get out of that mindset (usually with distraction or a meditation) and focus on what I can do now. If you continue to struggle with this, as well as uncertainty about your transition, I have found the Trevor chat line helpful.

Thank you for suggestions!

Making a budget.  Sounds smart! Duh.  I'm pretty extreme and it would make sense to look at things closely and plan it a little better.

Meditating ommmmmm.
My meditation practice, core exercises, and voice work have stalled since I made a priority of sleeping as much as possible.  I lost 3hrs/day by going from 4 hrs sleep to 7, but do not regret this extra sleep.  

Trying to replace the thought of "wish I was/had been a girl" with "I am a woman now" and be happy about it.

Should try chat..... 

Seems like I did before and couldn't get it to work.  It's like crisis lines to me, they seem empty, and I do not always believe the people on the other side of the line.  Want to talk and be close with people I see regularly in person, who actually know what I'm like, and vice versa.  Online friendships/relationships is a wonderful thing, but it is so often an illusion. 

A huge part of my stress has been my fairly long commute (3 hrs/day almost every day for six months).  I'm used to long hours and longer drives in my old jobs.   But I struggled keepng trim and moving forward with transition then too.... . 

The lack of time to deal with other things could be causing the stress.  Especially on the way home, I'm stopping and grabbing high calories because I'm bored, to avoid thinking, and to propel myself home to bed.

I've taken action by getting a new apt.  Moving over the next few weeks. This will open up a couple hours every day. 

Choice is to use these hours for exercise, self care, and transition work.

@MaddeeIt sounds like you are in a much better place and making good choices. I hope it keeps getting better for you.

Thanks @rainflower  I'm lucky.

And I am very active.  just can't keep eating how I have been this year, or else I'll be back where I started couple years back with my weight.  It took a lot of work to lose 50lbs and don't want to throw it away.  Sometimes we feel so helpless in this world.

I was a bloated whale by December.  As a doc taking care of COVID patients, the stress was insane...so was my diet.  Lots of junk and high cortisol had me up to 210 from 170.  I usually live at 165-170.  Down 20 now. Headed back to 170.  Back on my clean eating and running.  

22 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:

Totally empathize. I was down to 140 before the pandemic Lockdown. Now I'm 174.6 pounds. (Five foot nine.) I hadn't noticed but mom did. ?

I'm 5'9 as well. When I was married my wife would make these amazing meals and I almost got up to 170. I don't think that is really that bad. After the divorce I was back on my own, without the ability to really make good food and not having much in my home to eat, I dropped back down to about 145.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a doctor’s appointment today. All OK except Diabetes #s up, so a new pill to take, Januvia. And diet—I’ve relied on veggie smoothies, BUT they’re not good for diabetics. Who knew? Good nutrition, but whipped into a liquid, they zip into your blood too fast. Cooked? Fine. No smoothies for me now. Lots of walking, too. Same weight for three years—that's cool. Doc says weight gain in the pandemic IS a trending fact. Powerless not hopeless.

--Davie    

• 3 months later...

I have managed thru the nutritionists plan to lose 10 then gain 8 of it back cheating here and there.

Got back on track and have dropped 15 lbs by walking every evening.

Did a lot of walking Sat so I hope that has helped some.

It was very hot so staying hydrated really helped.

I hope this is the beginning of losing lots of weight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, Teri Anne said:

I have managed thru the nutritionists plan to lose 10 then gain 8 of it back cheating here and there.

Got back on track and have dropped 15 lbs by walking every evening.

Did a lot of walking Sat so I hope that has helped some.

It was very hot so staying hydrated really helped.

I hope this is the beginning of losing lots of weight.

Nice work! Stick with it and it will be!

• 2 weeks later...

Down 26 lbs woo hoo !!!

Its really not very noticeable to most people because I am still quite large but I'll take it !!

On 11/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, Teri Anne said:

Down 26 lbs woo hoo !!!

Its really not very noticeable to most people because I am still quite large but I'll take it !!

That's great! It will just take some time.