• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fashion sites for tall women

Audrey

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for any fashion sites / online stores that cater to tall women. Do you have any favorites you like to shop at?

I'm 5'11" and would love to be inspired.

Thank you so much! ❤️

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator

Depending upon the the styles you are interested in there are a number of stores with Tall selections.  I've shopped at Maurice's, LL Bean, JCP, Banana Republic.  I've found if I go to a business's website you can generally find tall sizes.  I imagine you are thinking mostly about trousers and jean's.  I'm only an inch taller than you and I can find things I like.  With tops, the sleeve length is harder.  I've resigned to wearing 3/4 length for a lot of things.  Keep looking and you do luck out from time to time with the right lengths.

Jani

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, Audrey said:

I'm 5'11" and would love to be inspired.

Hey! Me too!

I do most of my shopping at Torrid and Long Tall Sally but clothing sizes aren't super hard to find in general (just look for the T on the size in pants unless you're really into capris). I'm basically an XL top and a 16T bottom. It takes a little searching, but I've found clothes that fit in places like Kohls and Target.

My bra size and shoe sizes are hard to find, but regular clothing is usually no problem so long as I'm mindful of my (unfortunately) broad shoulders.

Hugs!

Thanks ladies! ❤️

@Jani  Yes it's the pants and jeans I struggle most with being tall. I'm still early on HRT and so I don't have the full benefit of any body reshaping I'll get, so I'm in that place where men's items feel wrong and women's items don't quite fit right yet. Dresses, or tops with skirts, are much easier to work with if I can find a good length and really much more my style, but I would like to have options.

@Jackie C. I know the pain of having broad shoulders! I'm trying to draw attention away from my shoulders with V-necks and necklaces, trying to draw eyes towards the middle. It sort of works but it also draws attention to my still-developing breasts. I'm usually a 13 wide (D) in women's shoes. New Balance has me covered for athletic shoes, but anything else is a lot harder and I really want to try stuff on.

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Audrey said:

I know the pain of having broad shoulders! I'm trying to draw attention away from my shoulders with V-necks and necklaces, trying to draw eyes towards the middle. It sort of works but it also draws attention to my still-developing breasts. I'm usually a 13 wide (D) in women's shoes. New Balance has me covered for athletic shoes, but anything else is a lot harder and I really want to try stuff on.

Try sleeveless. I look fantastic in tank tops. Even with my tiny breasts. I'm a 13 in shoes too. I just have to keep my eye out for when I FINALLY find something that's my size and not so ugly my first response is to kill it with fire.

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

I'm a 13 in shoes too. I just have to keep my eye out for when I FINALLY find something that's my size and not so ugly my first response is to kill it with fire.

Ha! I sometimes have good luck with DSW, and often the shoes aren't picked over since 13 wide is a rare size (even here in NYC). The online selection is pretty good, but truly cute ones are rare... and sadly, there's no making my feet dainty. A girl can dream!

Love,

~Audrey.

3 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Try sleeveless

How curious, I always thought that sleeveless was intended to extend shoulder view. At least every time I try sleeveless dress it looks "odd" so I need to add a shawl or something to cover shoulders.

@ValerieRun I've always thought this too and avoided them, like the last thing I'd want to wear is anything showing skin on or near my shoulders. But yes, I like the look, Jackie!

Love,

~Audrey.

9 hours ago, Audrey said:

Do you have any favorites you like to shop at?

~Audrey ever check out Venus.com? They have plus sizing, a wish list and "on sale" items quite often with a free, pre-paid postage exchange/return policy that makes try-on mistakes easy. I'm 6',0" 175lbs in size 14/16 jeans & slacks and they usually have inseam choices for example see here.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, Kiera said:

~Audrey ever check out Venus.com? They have plus sizing, a wish list and "on sale" items quite often with a free, pre-paid postage exchange/return policy that makes try-on mistakes easy. I'm 6',0" 175lbs in size 14/16 jeans & slacks and they usually have inseam choices for example see here.

Kiera thank you for this suggestion! I've only spent a few minutes looking around the site, and I like the styles and sizing choices I'm seeing, plus the price is right. How's the quality of the clothing in your experience?

Love,

~Audrey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 7:11 AM, Audrey said:

How's the quality of the clothing in your experience?.

~Audrey been remiss, didn't see this! I have found reading the reviews to be very helpful, both in quality of material and sizing as well. In dresses am usually ok with a "L" but this dress, which I  bought @Fingerhut and love, was too tight and had to go with "XL" instead . . 

Very expensive mistake @ $100+! Kept it for my daughter who says 'too large'? Am 6', 175lbs so something to aspire toward keeping both for now!

4NQNODNIVALRG_VA_999?scl=1

Thank you Kiera! Ever since you suggested Venus, I've had my eye on this sweater dress. It's way more form fitting than I'm used to, but the fabric seems stretchy enough that I could fit into the 16, the 18 might be too loose. The skirt length is good being tall, it'll hit just at my knee, but sleeve length might be a little weird too on my longer arms. I dream of the hourglass figure to make this work like it does on the model, but I basically live in cozy dresses like this at home during the winter, it's calling out to me even if it'll show all my imperfections. I'll wear leggings under and use a coat to give me more of a shape when going out. As one of my girlfriends told me... dress the body you have, not the one you wish you had.

But I'm taking the plunge anyway and I'll let you know, it's only a $33 mistake (on sale!). ☺️

Love,

~Audrey.

3 hours ago, Audrey said:

... dress the body you have, not the one you wish you had.

*shame* *blush* 

Actually ebay has inexpensive shaper solutions that can help in that dept too! This is one of the first items I ordered over a year ago, a very soft material that makes for a comfy sleeper if not anything else. Shop buddies? My "Wish List" is very dated but I made it "public" and will send you my registered email-addy . . one must already have a Venus account in order to view anothers.

WARNING! Very addictive my order history, some error by trail, is v e r y  l o n g! Fingerhut just sent me a $20 off cpn code am tempted, eyeing this up it's the same "Free People" as above so "L"? "XL"? arghh!