• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A different kind of hair question

Darci

I am bi-racial, Black and Irish. My hair currently has the curl and consistency of wool. I know that body hair becomes thinner with HRT. Does the same thing happen to hair on your head? I am currently looking at wigs, because I definitely do not want to sport an afro.

It should be noted that I started HRT on Christmas Eve, so I have zero idea of what HRT will do to my hair, in the long run.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Darci said:

Does the same thing happen to hair on your head?

It does not.

2 hours ago, Darci said:

It should be noted that I started HRT on Christmas Eve

What a lovely Christmas present! The basics is that body hair will become finer, but it's not going away. If you want to get rid of the body hair, it's electrolysis, laser treatments or shaving. You could probably do the chemical thing too, but that can be really hard on your skin (which is going to get thinner, softer and more sensitive) so be careful with that and don't do your nether regions. I know someone who did that and it made for an awkward conversation with his boss about why he couldn't come into work.

Hugs!

• Admin

I rarely disagree with @Jackie C., but in this case my hair stylist sees it differently.  It will take the "E" about 3 years to fully work its magic if you have a full head of hair since hair grows in a number of known cycles, one of them is where the hair follicle pores in your skin are not growing hairs at the current time.  When the ones currently dormant wake up it will be to your new estrogen which generally makes the hair shaft finer, all of your hair follicles will go through this, but it will take time.  I have friends who are bi-racial and their results have been to have the curl soften and relax enough so it is not woolly but cute as a button curly. (I have fine straight hair and it won't curl for anything, so I am a tad jealous.)  As your hair grows out you can even use hair extensions that emphasize the relaxed curl.  A lot of Irish people (except me dang it) do have curly hair. Just letting it grow out of boy mode for a while and learning  to care for it with girl styles is part of the fun we have.  Wigs are fun I admit, I have a number of fun color ones, but you do have a chance of really nice and pretty hair on your own.

4 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I rarely disagree with @Jackie C., but in this case my hair stylist sees it differently.  It will take the "E" about 3 years to fully work its magic if you have a full head of hair since hair grows in a number of known cycles, one of them is where the hair follicle pores in your skin are not growing hairs at the current time.  When the ones currently dormant wake up it will be to your new estrogen which generally makes the hair shaft finer, all of your hair follicles will go through this, but it will take time.  I have friends who are bi-racial and their results have been to have the curl soften and relax enough so it is not woolly but cute as a button curly. (I have fine straight hair and it won't curl for anything, so I am a tad jealous.)  As your hair grows out you can even use hair extensions that emphasize the relaxed curl.  A lot of Irish people (except me dang it) do have curly hair. Just letting it grow out of boy mode for a while and learning  to care for it with girl styles is part of the fun we have.  Wigs are fun I admit, I have a number of fun color ones, but you do have a chance of really nice and pretty hair on your own.

Interesting...  I will keep an eye on it. I'm still going to keep it stubble short, for the moment, so I can move to the next stage when I'm ready, instead of looking like a q-tip.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Irish blood, and a lot of it. As far as I know I'm of 100% European descent. My mom who the Irish comes from. Has or had kenny g type curls, and about the same color. I haven't seen her since 2014, so I'm not sure what her hair is like now. 

My dad was mostly English, and Scottish. Dark brown thin wavy hair. 

If I didn't look so munch like my old man. I would have thought that I swapped at the hospital. I have thin wavy/curly/straight auburn hair. In the summer it gets really curly. Like I can cut off 3 inches before summer, and not look like I need hair cut till November. 

Once winter hits. My hair gos almost straight, and I have 6-8in more inches of growth, and will stay wavy/straight to June. 

Not sure whats going to happen to it this summer, as this will be first summer on hormones, but I do know. I will get another relaxer like I did last summer. To help with the knots, and curls.

There's a ton of haircare YouTubers out there, and a lot that focus specifically on natural/curly hair. If you decide to grow your hair out, finding some channels that focus on a similar hair texture to yours can give you an idea of what your hair can look like, and how to care for and style it. I can't really give advice on black hair, but figuring out how to care for my own wavy/curly hair has given me a lot more confidence in my appearance. Of course, wigs are also an option that a lot of girls prefer, and if you go that route there's just as many resources out there for how to care for/style them. Good luck with however you choose to wear your hair!