• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT Cycle experiences

Bri2020

For anyone who's been on oral estradiol:  Do you find that you feel like you cycle?  I seem to go through phases of being much more emotional, bloated/swollen ankles/food cravings.  My wife says I'm just PMSing without the actual menstruating. ;). I discounted that based on the fact that I take the same dose every day at the same time so I should have a very stable E level day to day/week to week.  However, it does seem to go in a pattern every 3 weeks or so.

I started having the same symptoms once so far and I’m curious if it continues. I described what I was feeling to my wife and a friend of mine and the said your pmsing. I researched and found several articles where trans women have period symptoms on a routine basis. It also causes a lot of dysphoria for them. I noticed I was also I was very dysphoric that week. I’m curious if it was just a fluke or it happens again 

I'm on estradiol patches.  So I would think my levels would be steady as well.   I have never really noticed any cycles per se.  Of course I do have my ups and downs.  Maybe I should try to track them.

• 2 weeks later...

I started hormones the 18th or 19th of December. I was fine till about day 23,24. I was super tired, weird cravings, muscles were sore, mood swings, till about yesterday. I was also super -excited- a day or two before. That started also. My male libido was never that strong.

I had my first "period", and not a single sole to talk to. It was rough. I had no clue how to deal with it, and I really still don't.

• 1 month later...

It happened a little to me when I was on tab but has gotten more extreme since switching to the shot. The day I do my shot it start ramping up pretty quick. The next day is a lot worse. Mood swings from depressed to angry to starving through out the day and is pretty much tapered-off buy day 3. I love it.

It is curious to hear, because I fully expected and even mentally prepared to deal with potential mood swings, but never got them. I had mood changes (more into subdued/depressed state) way before hrt, and they would come and go infrequently enough that I never bothered to time them. And I still continue to have those but at the smaller scale, as now it’s like more crying day than just sunk mood.

However, I definitely get easier watery-eyed the day before my next injection.