• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Experience with surgeons at university of Utah?

Emily Michele

I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with the surgical group at the U of U medical center? They’re my first choice as of now for mtf zero depth vaginoplasty, and I have a consult scheduled soon. Any feedback is welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Emily unfortunately no one seems to have any experience with this facility.  You might not be able to find any referrals as people probably don't speak openly of this surgery often.  But looking at the Medical Center's overall rating for Operational Efficiency and OR success might be helpful.

All my best.

Jani

• 3 weeks later...

I only know of one friend who is gonna have her FFS done by Johns in May.  She thought quite well of them so far- guess we'll see what happens.  The main stay hrt doc Luikenaar has commented that she's not sure one way or another as it is a relatively new thing offered here.  She often has a list that she directs elsewhere.  But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Sorry that doesn't help much ?

• 11 months later...

I am curious if there have been any updates or anybody who has information about the program at University of Utah. I am considering a number of places. I am aware of at least 8 different university-based systems around the country with integrated transgender health programs. I was looking at a site called transgenderhealth.com. I am not sure about the surgeons listed. I am leaning towards a center that has a robust program in place.

Another issue is whether surgeons will take insurance. I have run into some that do and some that leave you to fend for yourself. Any advice? 

Sincerely

Katie