• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Laser hair removal range?

Kestrel McLoughlin

Kestrel McLoughlin

Hi all, I'm hoping to get a sense of scope, because I don't know what's normal: I'm consulting about laser hair removal.

Someone who does laser and electolysis on trans women has very loosely ballparked that she could do laser on the front of my torso and my neck for $800 per treatment. Can I get some perspective on whether this sounds normal or whether it's extremely expensive? It sounded weird since I heard it only takes about a minute to do.

Hi Kestrel, I did a little comparison shopping between laser and electrolysis before I started hair removal. I ultimately decided on electrolysis for my facial hair, which has a lot of greys and whites in it. In my research, I found that few providers of either laser or electrolysis will post their rates on their websites. Instead, they request you make an appointment for a consultation where you'll get a quote. Laser tends to be priced based on the size of the area being treated, which for toros and neck as you describe would be a "large" area. I asked for an estimate for my whole face (also a large area), and was quoted USD $2,000 for six treatments to remove hair and cover several cycles of hair growth. By contrast, electrolysis tends to be priced by length of time rather than the size of the area. Also that's an NYC price, which are always high for everything.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Love,

~Audrey.

Red_Lauren.

I started laser last month on my face, and neck. I'm paying 185 per session. Not sure if that's super expensive or not, but I live in the middle of know where. Because of that. I'm sure the three or four places that do it. Are probably pretty close in to cost. I only chose this place because they listed their prices, and its up the road from my job. I can go in after work. 

I had thought about buying a high end electrolysis machine and doing what I can by myself and have my wife help with the rest. Any advice about this?

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, Jamie68 said:

I had thought about buying a high end electrolysis machine and doing what I can by myself

The electric acid needle experience? My advice would be to get lessons on how to use the thing. Because ELECTRIC ACID NEEDLES.

Your local beauty school should have a hair-removal course. Average time appears to be about two weeks. Be safe.

Hugs!

Sounds like a good idea. I will look into that. There is a college town about 40 min. away from me. They should have something there.

Ellie Jean

I believe they have home Laser Hair Removal devices, but electrolysis is a different story lol, and as far as I know, the only surefire way to permanently remove hair. I'm figuring on waiting until at least a couple years or so after starting HRT to consider either laser hair removal or electrolysis; depends on which one's safer. =P

• Forum Moderator

If you can afford it now I would consider starting early.  Once you start HRT and the changes happen you will want it gone ASAP.  As long as you have the work done by licensed practitioner I think safety will not be an issue.  You are right that electrolysis is the only permanent solution.  Some are lucky with laser and have good long term results but its not a guarantee.

I had red hair when I was young. Now it's gray and thin. I don't think laser would work for me anyway. I'm early on in my transitioning, so I want to get things done. Since I'm retired I only have so much to spend. I have to be as frugal as possible while still getting the results I desire. It's a juggling act. I own a 121 yr old house that needs more work than it's worth and my wife is not well. Never will be. I have my son, his wife, and 3 kids living with us with very little financial support. With my pension and social security, I do ok, but have to be careful. I want a full body transplant LOL. Should have been born a hundred years later. I'm sure it would be possible then.

By the way, Thank you all for your input.

Ellie Jean
2 hours ago, Jani said:

If you can afford it now I would consider starting early.  Once you start HRT and the changes happen you will want it gone ASAP.  As long as you have the work done by licensed practitioner I think safety will not be an issue.  You are right that electrolysis is the only permanent solution.  Some are lucky with laser and have good long term results but its not a guarantee.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look into electrolysis here in my local area. Do you think Medicaid would cover it? It may be no big deal if they won't; ever since I came out to my mom she's been setting aside money in a separate account for stuff like that; she's super supportive, and I feel pretty blessed to have her as my mom lol; the rest of my family kinda sucks and live over 2,100 miles away. I want it to be a total surprise for them lmao; best practical joke EVER. 🤣

1 hour ago, Jamie68 said:

I want a full body transplant LOL. Should have been born a hundred years later. I'm sure it would be possible then.

I relate with this so much lol; but I kinda have hope I'll see something like that in my lifetime, but I'm still fairly young at 26 years old lol. Scientists today have theorized that anyone living under the age of 40 will probably see commercially available immortality in their own lifetime, and that everyone over the age of 40 will probably be the last generation of humans to die of old age. 

With that in mind, it's not to far of a stretch for me to imagine some kind of nanotechnology that's constantly repairing the body and cracking the secrets to shutting off the aging gene; I could be like 36 years old forever lol. Or at least until I get shot or stabbed or fall off a cliff or something lol. Unless of course the nanotechnology coursing the my bloodstream can instantly heal and regenerate any wounds we might sustain, making humans virtually invincible. All the while, we might also perfect the art of cloning and can make a clone of ourselves and manipulate what chromosomes the clone will be born with to create a gender-swapped version of "us", (but without a consciousness; otherwise things could start getting ethically questionable lmao), then halt it's aging gene at whichever age we prefer, then transfer our brain into the clone's skull! Voila! Body transplant! It may take a while, but it's quite possible we'll see something like that in the not-too-distant future; humanity is on the verge of becoming truly godlike. I'm saving my pennies lol. 😁

I can hardly wait for my breasts to grow more and out me to the rest of my family. Out of the 6 other people living with me, my wife is the only one who isn't homophobic and against anyone different. My granddaughter, youngest in the house,17 may be ok with it seeing that she has a transgender friend. I want to look and dress like the REAL me so bad. One real concern is how family will treat my wife. I can only do little things right now, like wearing women's boy shorts and painting my toenails a beautiful candy apple burgundy. That helps some.

I used to listen to Coast to Coast radio with George Noory. A guest said he was in the military in a deep space division that fought aliens. When your body got killed, they just transplanted your soul into a clone and kept on fighting. True? maybe. You know there's a lot of technology that we're never told about. Like invisibility suits they've had for over 20 yrs. 

Erica Gabriel

I’d like to add that Kaiser Permanente, at least in Colorado, covers the cost of hair removal after you’ve been on HRT for 6 months. I’m paying out of pocket for Thermolysis but keeping my receipts in the hope I’ll be reimbursed in 6 months. $90 per hour here. It’s a commitment since you have to stay with it for some time. On the bright side I no longer have a needle phobia!

That's not cheap. I hope you get reimbursed.

On a similar subject, has anyone had any success at reversing a bald head? i really don't want to have to wear a wig the rest of my life. I'm trying to let my hair grow out, but the top is pretty sparse.

Red_Lauren.

I have redish brown hair, and I can tell laser has at least worked for me after one treatment. I last shaved some time in the past week, maybe last weekend. Its definitely not as dense, there is a few balder spots, and when I do shave. I'm smoother longer. It probably helps. That I couldn't grow a beard to save my life.

1 hour ago, Erica Gabriel said:

I’d like to add that Kaiser Permanente, at least in Colorado, covers the cost of hair removal after you’ve been on HRT for 6 months. I’m paying out of pocket for Thermolysis but keeping my receipts in the hope I’ll be reimbursed in 6 months. $90 per hour here. It’s a commitment since you have to stay with it for some time. On the bright side I no longer have a needle phobia!

This is wonderful to hear, and I hope you'll successfully get reimbursed. Kaiser seems to be one of the most progressive insurance companies when it comes to transgender healthcare. What I have through my employer is more than happy to deem as many things as possible "cosmetic" so as not to pay for anything. I would also gladly pay that price out of pocket. In NYC, electrolysis averages about double that amount. But then, *everything* is expensive here.

I also agree with @Jani, starting hair removal early on in transition is very important, and if you vet your providers carefully, it's quite safe. Electrology is generally a licensed profession so as long as you work with a provider who's licensed to practice in your state, you should be fine. As for laser hair removal, I believe that varies considerably from state to state, so you'll want to check what the requirements are in your state. Also, a good hair removal technician in either modality will be happy to answer any questions you have about the process before getting started, as well as during or after your treatments.

Love,

~Audrey.

That's good news about the redish brown hair. Mine actually turned auburn in my late teens, that is only on my head. Everything else stayed orange until it all turned gray.