Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why is it hard to find transgendered friends


Denisenj

Recommended Posts

  • Forum Moderator

I agree with this....

 

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere"

 

C

Link to post
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Holly Elizabeth

    20

  • Jackie C.

    16

  • SheenaT

    14

  • Red_Lauren.

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is interesting. If you stop looking they will find you but you need to give them a chance to find you and TP and trans group meetings are the perfect way to start. And being here just let them know you true self and be totally honest and you will draw friends to you. 3 of my best friends found me here and they are the most fantastic people I know . it took me 68 years to find Transpulse and less then a month months to enjoy friendships like I have never known and treasure beyond words.

Link to post
11 hours ago, gina-nicole-t said:

I understand what @Tasha Marie is saying. I want to find someone, but at my age (48) it is incredibly difficult to find someone who is understanding what trans is all about, and will love you for you. That type of support, understanding, and unconditional love is so rare that I don't think people are capable of it in this day and age. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like most people don't understand what it is to love someone anymore. They just find the next best person and move on no matter who they hurt in the process. 

Respectfully, 

Gina 

🤗 I hear that!

Link to post

I've wondered if I will have any in person trans friends at some point but honestly, I'm OK if I don't. To me, it's about having nurturing, loving and deep relationships. I've had very few of those because of the walls I erected living as a man.  

I have discovered that a lot of women that were in my extended circle have come out of the woodwork to become friends with me since I came out AND present FT as a woman.  I think the presenting FT has made it so much easier.  Good people that see me for who I am and all that I have to offer as a person want to know me better. A#%holes don't so they just stay away.  I've met a few transmen who have confided in me they were trans since I came out to. Once again, because I'm visible in the world.  Covid hasn't held me back as much as some because I am in my business everyday so customers, vendors and business associates all see me regularly.

I think the key to finding friendships is just putting yourself out there -as Jackie says- in places where you are comfortable and doing your thing.  Maybe someday a transwoman will walk into my life but until then, I just want to try and be the best person I can be and others will then want to be with me. 

Hugs

Bri

PS. I think there's possibly a psychology at play between transgendered people. So many of us are still being forced to examine who we are, and being presented with another person going through the same things, but possibly have completely different experience might make us question whether our assumptions/assertions about ourselves are valid/true. It possibly can create walls or defense mechanisms to come out. Also, I want to go through my daily life just being me, not a "trans person" or "woman" or man in transition or anything else. I just want to feel "normal" and not think about my "identity" regularly. If I'm around another trans-woman, maybe that becomes harder.  

Link to post
1 hour ago, Bri2020 said:

I've wondered if I will have any in person trans friends at some point but honestly, I'm OK if I don't. To me, it's about having nurturing, loving and deep relationships. I've had very few of those because of the walls I erected living as a man.  

I have discovered that a lot of women that were in my extended circle have come out of the woodwork to become friends with me since I came out AND present FT as a woman.  I think the presenting FT has made it so much easier.  Good people that see me for who I am and all that I have to offer as a person want to know me better. A#%holes don't so they just stay away.  I've met a few transmen who have confided in me they were trans since I came out to. Once again, because I'm visible in the world.  Covid hasn't held me back as much as some because I am in my business everyday so customers, vendors and business associates all see me regularly.

I think the key to finding friendships is just putting yourself out there -as Jackie says- in places where you are comfortable and doing your thing.  Maybe someday a transwoman will walk into my life but until then, I just want to try and be the best person I can be and others will then want to be with me. 

Hugs

Bri

PS. I think there's possibly a psychology at play between transgendered people. So many of us are still being forced to examine who we are, and being presented with another person going through the same things, but possibly have completely different experience might make us question whether our assumptions/assertions about ourselves are valid/true. It possibly can create walls or defense mechanisms to come out. Also, I want to go through my daily life just being me, not a "trans person" or "woman" or man in transition or anything else. I just want to feel "normal" and not think about my "identity" regularly. If I'm around another trans-woman, maybe that becomes harder.  

Great points. My only accepting cis girlfriend makes me feel more myself in some way. I just want to live and be accepted as a good person.

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

So Saturday I applied to this local Transgender support group, not that you guys aren't enough. But I'm finding myself to be really lonely, yeah I have girlfriends that are all non trans, but I'm needing the support and personal friendship of others who are going through the same types of things that I am. It's horrible to have friends and still feel like I'm the only person in the world. The meetings are the last Thursday of the month via zoom. I know it's not in person but I have to get in somehow. lol

 

I'm waiting for the person who hosts the group to respond soon. I need in person friends, save a girls life and let her join into all the reindeer games.. lol

Link to post
AwesomeClaire

I know what you mean Holly, I get lonely too. I've been relying on a variety of zoom groups, a couple of them are trans, I have nothing local tho.

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

Clair, first, I love your name. So very classy. Mine, Holly, now that I think about it brings to mind a stripper.. lol

 

I looked at the flag under your name and thought the blue flag was California. It's North Dakota, I was about to say that there must be many local groups in California. Anyway, I'm so sorry there isn't any place where you are that you can meet up with other trans brothers or sisters. I'm glad you have this place where you can talk to others that are going through the things you are. And if you need, I will always be available to talk to. I want you to know you have friends here.

Link to post
AwesomeClaire

Thanks Holly. Your name is pretty, I didn't think stripper when I saw it. 

Link to post
Tasha Marie

I too am here to meet friends. I am lonely too. I have no trans friends at all.

It is so tough with no one to  really talk to. Yes I have fellow pilots, but can’t discuss anything really about me.

Link to post
AwesomeClaire

Yeah the only trans people I know are online. I know one local person but she rarely responds. I've developed a pretty close friendship with a transwoman that is 1500 miles away in Canada. After COVID I plan on attending drag shows again and maybe I'll meet someone there. 

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

Thank you Clair.. *hugs*. Ever since my mom said the Holly reminded her of that girl "Holly Madison"  Holly Madison on The Girls Next Door! on the E! network. It's all I think about now When I hear Holly.  lol. Damn it mom.. lol

 

@Tasha MarieYou have friends here hun. Don't ever think you don't. I see you are in Michigan, that's really close to me. I'm in central Illinois. I would love to be friends with you. I wonder if we do Zoom calls here. If not, then we should. The only thing I think I know that we do is voice.

 

@Jackie C. Do we have zoom meetings that we do? Now that I've mentioned it, if we don't then maybe we should. I think I'm tech savvy, but I'm finding out I'm not. The other day I did something on my computer and had to take it to the shop to undo what I did. The guy told me what I did and He lost me after he said oh you changed this setting. lol

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, HollyNoel said:

@Jackie C. Do we have zoom meetings that we do? Now that I've mentioned it, if we don't then maybe we should. I think I'm tech savvy, but I'm finding out I'm not. The other day I did something on my computer and had to take it to the shop to undo what I did. The guy told me what I did and He lost me after he said oh you changed this setting. lol

 

Sorry no, we've got support meetings on Discord but that's it. Also, thanks for the tech support flashbacks. I once had the head of one of our departments install a Taiwanese porn dialer on his company laptop. Of course, "(he) didn't do anything." He got paid an order of magnitude more than I did. He probably still does.

 

I've considered opening up my personal Discord channel for chats (because it's free), but I can't say how many people it can support for video chat easily. It handles my six-players and me D&D game fine, but I can't say what the limitations of the system might be.

 

Hugs!

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

Clair, years ago before I fully understood I was trans, several of my co-workers used to go to drag shows. They would always invite me, I would always turn them down. I was always afraid of how it would look, me attending a show like that. Now I'm dying to go and the closest ones are in St Lewis or Chicago and I don't have anyone to go with.  I don't want to go alone, it's not safe for us trans girl, especially in a big city. I just can't believe I wasted my chance to be who I was out of fear of what other people thought.

Link to post
Tasha Marie

@HollyNoel Thank you. Would be great to talk. Yes I am about 5 miles from the Indiana line so just into Michigan.

 

 

 

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

@Jackie C., OMG! speaking of bringing up memories. I used to play D&D what seems like a lifetime ago. I started playing early 80s. You know back when they claimed it was "devil" worship with all the demons and monsters. lol. Of course it all makes sense that I always wanted to play a Female Elf Ranger.. I guess it was a cry for help by my inner girl trying to get out back then. lol.

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth
1 hour ago, Tasha Marie said:

@HollyNoel Thank you. Would be great to talk. Yes I am about 5 miles from the Indiana line so just into Michigan.

 

 

 

I'm about 10 miles from Indiana near Decatur. lol.

 

So very close.. lol

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, HollyNoel said:

Of course it all makes sense that I always wanted to play a Female Elf Ranger.. I guess it was a cry for help by my inner girl trying to get out back then. lol.

 

Ugh, Rangers were so hard to qualify for in 1st Edition. I was more into gnome illusionist/thief hybrids though. Honestly, when I get to play I still like gnomes. My inner girl is apparently short and sassy. Probably something to talk about in my next therapy session. 😉

 

I totally remember the D&D satanic panic though. It was the topic of a lot of essays in high school English class.

 

While my egg (and the egg of a friend of mine) was cracking though, I did a lot of "crossdressing" through my characters in tabletop and computer RPGs. I was usually the DM though, so I made a LOT of female adversaries when I was younger.

 

Hugs!

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, HollyNoel said:

I'm about 10 miles from Indiana near Decatur. lol.

 

So very close.. lol

 

I don't know, that's 6.5 to 7 hours for me. 😉

 

Hugs!

Link to post
Tasha Marie

Yes close. Well I must go for now hugs to everyone. Hope to talk soon. 

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

 Jackie, Yes Rangers were, but my brother got Dragon magizine and when they did a thing on the ranger class, I was in love.

 

And yes, a lot of my allowed dressing up was during D&D. My brother never understood why I picked a female and I constantly got the "People will think you're gay if you play a girl!" talk, but it felt right and I didn't know why. Now I know, but back then, it was as close as I got to being who I was.. lol

 

Thinking about it now, I was in therapy before I was in therapy.. lol

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, HollyNoel said:

And yes, a lot of my allowed dressing up was during D&D. My brother never understood why I picked a female and I constantly got the "People will think you're gay if you play a girl!" talk, but it felt right and I didn't know why. Now I know, but back then, it was as close as I got to being who I was.. lol

 

Oh that would have been awesome. My group never did costumes though except maybe Halloween. I feel like I missed out.

 

Hugs!

Link to post
Holly Elizabeth

Jackie, I'm sorry. We never dressed up in cloths, I meant in game. But you know that if I were allowed to, this queen would have been fabulous back then.. lol

 

I did my dressing at 3 am when no one was awake. I called myself Charlotte back then. I know, how did I go from Charlotte to Holly.. lol

 

But during D&D, I could be Charlotte the Elf Ranger.. lol.

Link to post
  • Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
1 hour ago, HollyNoel said:

Jackie, I'm sorry. We never dressed up in cloths, I meant in game. But you know that if I were allowed to, this queen would have been fabulous back then.. lol

 

I feel less left out then. That would have been awesome. I'd probably pick up some vital makeup skills I've been lacking too. That would have been FANTASTIC to do with Jen. Even though she didn't come out until her late 20s, I know she'd been dressing at home since she was small. Ah, opportunities lost. Makes more sense why we were best friends in junior high though.

 

Though I did have a 20-something player in my game last year come to the game in costume more than once.

 

Also I've been to cons so the idea of dressing up for the game isn't THAT weird. Heck, I wear my horns when I'm GMing in person. It helps establish dominance. 🦊

 

Hugs!

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 86 Guests (See full list)

    • Willow
    • Bri2020
    • Delcina B
    • Beatriz
    • Jandi
    • zyx
    • Stephen24
    • whatishappening
    • Stefi
    • AwesomeClaire
    • claire1000
    • Chloe Cozee
    • AmberM
    • miz miranda
    • ValerieRun
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      73,764
    • Total Posts
      681,060
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      8,316
    • Most Online
      8,356

    myteethareshiny
    Newest Member
    myteethareshiny
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Damien Mcknight
      Damien Mcknight
      (15 years old)
    2. JJ
      JJ
      (74 years old)
    3. memyselfandwe
      memyselfandwe
      (41 years old)
  • Posts

    • Willow
      Nice day everyone. Looks like we hit a couple of hot button.   I am 72 years old.  I’ve been married to the same woman for 49 years this month.  Apparently I am a woman.  I have been all my life, in spite of fighting it and feeling it was wrong.  After all, I’m a man.  Right? Wrong! When I was young, I wished I as a girl.  That was a true statement yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Like almost all girls I have grown into a woman.  But I still wish I had been a girl.  To experience all those things I wish I could have experienced growing into the woman I have become.   @KymmieL your oldest may want to talk to you, but with all of his words of not understanding and not wanting you around as Kymmie, it’s going to be a whole lot harder for him to initiate such a call.  Maybe it would be better if you stopped waiting and initiate a call to him.  A friendly every day type of call and see where it goes.  It may take more than one.  But it has to start somewhere and as the parent, I’m thinking you just got elected.   Everyone enjoy your day.   Willow
    • Beatriz
      Congrats @KathyLauren and @Bri2020!
    • Jandi
    • Beatriz
      Great outfits and pics! And yes, Liz, you look wonderful in that picture! Great smile!
    • Stefi
      My regular therapist has been great for me as I wait well looking for a LBGTQ therapist. Problem is She just went on maternity leave and I miss her already. I see a LBGTQ "doctor" tomorrow and am very anxious.____     Hugs Stefi
    • Carolyn Marie
      I believe this is the offending portion of the legislation:   An institution may not discriminate against a student organization with respect toa benefit available to any other student organization based on a requirement of the organization that leaders or voting members of the organization:(1)Adhere to the organization's viewpoints or sincerely held beliefs; or(2) Be committed to furthering the organization's beliefs or religious missions.   Off to the Courts we go...   Carolyn Marie
    • Petra Jane
      Just ask and it shall be done. (PS. It is) 😉
    • MaryEllen
      What would you like it changed to?
    • Bri2020
      Happy Coming out anniversary!!!!!. Today is my 9 months!
    • Taylor_The_Human
      Hi, I know this is sorta random and I'm not sure If I've acquainted myself here but, I'm Taylor and I'm a teen who's looking for other teens to hang out with. I don't really have any supporting friends or friends who also identify under the Transgender umbrella. And with this topic I was hoping to succeed in finding some people who may be interested in becoming friends. Y'know someone I could just message regularly and talk to about anything. 😄 If anyone's shy that's fine because I am too, I'm also a bit awkward so if someone's not SUPER awkward like I am I'd like to get to hang out 🙂 just message me and we'll see how it goes from there. Thanks! 
    • Bri2020
      Looking great Liz! The high neckline works for you and it's always great to see you smile in your pics  
    • Shay
      @AmberM I agree that I do go through cycles but with HRT and my GI therapist - the cycles aren't as extreme nor last as long and I am thankful for that AND because I am getting at the root cause of my depression and anxiety, those pains are less severe.   Getting the right therapist is a godsend.
    • Jandi
      Today, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum signed House Bill 1503 into law — legislation that allows student groups at colleges, universities, and high schools to discriminate against LGBTQ students.   https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/north-dakota-gov-doug-burgum-signs-anti-lgbtq-house-bill-1503-into-laww
    • AmberM
      I have found therapy to be useful over the years, however, there was always this one thing that kept coming back that I didn't know how to deal with. After finally getting after my gender identity, I have noticed a lift in my mood, and improvement in several symptoms. What is hard though, is this time of year, normally my mood naturally increases. So we have to wait until October time frame to see if it dips down super low again. It isn't that I don't get dips week to week, because I still get some dips, just they haven't been as low as they were in the past. I think therapy has been pivotal to my success and will remain to be key to my continued success.
    • Elizabeth Star
      Nothing special today.  Black high-neck tank and jeans. The neckline is more conservative then I usually wear but I really like the look and feel.    Also added finishing powder to my makeup routine. Not that I need it for work but practice makes perfect.     
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...