• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sigmoid Colon Vaginoplasty

Kasumi63

Good morning, everyone. I'm scheduled for sigmoid colon vaginoplasty later this month. Yesterday, my surgeon went over all the risks in detail, which was a bit harrowing. I'm very excited and happy about the surgery, but it's hard not to feel nervous when hearing about all the risks. My sense it that penile inversion is much more popular, so I'm hoping to hear from those who went through this surgery. Of course, I've been looking through all the current and older posts about SRS. My main question is what are the main differences in recovery with this surgery as opposed to penile inversion. Thanks.

I don't know what the difference are so I can't answer the original question. However I do have some related questions on this subject of my own.  I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago where they removed 6 inches of that section of the sigmoid colon. So I guess I would have to have the penile inversion. However, I do wonder if there are any additional complications with a vaginoplasty for survivors of a colonectomy? I guess this would be a question for medical experts when the time comes...

• Forum Moderator
10 hours ago, AgnesBardsie said:

I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago where they removed 6 inches of that section of the sigmoid colon. So I guess I would have to have the penile inversion.

There's also abdominal pull-through if you don't want to go the inversion route. It's easier to find surgeons who do penile inversion though.

Hugs

11 hours ago, AgnesBardsie said:

However, I do wonder if there are any additional complications with a vaginoplasty for survivors of a colonectomy? I guess this would be a question for medical experts when the time comes...

Yes, I'm surprised that I haven't heard from anyone that's had the Sigmoid Colon Vaginoplasty operation. Most videos on YouTube and people here have had the penile inversion. I think the SCV has more potential risks but also potential for better results. I've read that SCV is sometimes used when the penile inversion didn't succeed, but you guys seem to be the other way around. Makes sense, though, that this operation wouldn't be recommended for anyone that had colon problems or part of the colon removed. Still hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience . . . .  

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping to hear from someone who had this operation, but it's only a week to go until I'll be in the hospital. I'm so excited, but also a bit nervous.

Hi Kasumi san!  Sorry I can't help but I am sure there are some on the Forum who have experience with this type SRS and hopefully they will be able to pass along some their experience soon.

Jackie Rabbit has some great videos about her SRS but I am not sure what type she had (?)

I the meantime, sending prayers for your successful surgery and quick recovery .. ?❤️

Thanks, Kay. Yes, I've watched a lot of Jackie's videos. Really helpful, but she doesn't get into the nitty gritty of her surgery. From her discussion, it sounds like she had the penile inversion surgery. My surgeon is much more familiar with the sigmoid colon technique, so I'm happy with my choice, but I'm worried about complications. Thanks for the support. I just now got a call from the gender center, which got me worried for a second, but they were just confirming that I was still healthy and ready to go. So excited!

Well, I go to the hospital tomorrow! And then the surgery is the day after that! I’m mostly excited but also a bit nervous. So soon after so much waiting. Can’t wait to get back on hormones again, too.

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Kasumi63 said:

Can’t wait to get back on hormones again, too.

OMG, I know right? I can do without the hot flashes and night sweats for the rest of my life.

Congratulations girl! May your surgeon's hand be sure, your recovery swift and the results all you could ever want them to be!

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations Kasumi.  I'm sure all will go well and you'll be back on your feet soon.

All done. Surgery lasted from 8:30 am until 9 pm yesterday. I felt really good through the night and this morning, but now I’m beginning to realize that that was because of all the drugs. Ugh. Because of COVID-19, I can’t have any visitors. No eating at all for the first week. Ugh. I can’t even get up from my bed. Sorry for the depressing note. I just want time to pass. This is going to be a long week. Well, the nurses are very nice. Reading is probably best.

Just broke into tears in front of the nurse. Never did that before, as I try to be strong. What set me off: not being able to find the book I was reading just ten seconds ago. I can’t even sit up to take my medicine or find a book that was just in my hands! Just feel completely overwhelmed. And because of COVID-19, I can’t have visitors to help with such easy stuff. I’m sorry. I can’t get out of bed or even pour myself a glass of water.  It’s only the first day after surgery, so I’m sure I’ll get stronger soon. Just writing this makes me feel a bit better. Sorry.

• Forum Moderator

That's OK sweetie. The "No food for a week" thing threw me for a sec, I hadn't considered that, but they're feeding you intravenously. I know that because in the thirty-degree or less recline position they had me in, I can't swallow food so it was discussed. Well, I mean I can swallow, but at that angle, it doesn't make it into my stomach, everything backs up and... well, you get the idea.

Honestly, I spent most of my hospital time snoozing and occasionally pushing the button for painkillers. You're going to be more sore than I was thanks to the extra incision and I was pretty sore. It gets better though. Just do what the doctors tell you, rest up and you'll be good to go before you know it. Attitude is important for healing. It also makes things more pleasant when you get to be the favorite patient on your floor.

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

That's OK sweetie. 

Hugs!

Thanks, Jackie. The no eating was because I had the colon operation on top of the vaginoplasty. Not eating means less on the colon that had to be seen back together again. 

As for my crying breakdown, it was just that everything hit me at once. Not having anyone here with me. Part of it was that I didn’t have my table arranged so I could reach everything easily. And painkillers wearing off. And not being able to find the book I had in my hand after searching for ten minutes. The nurses are great. So sweet. And you are, too! Thanks!

• Forum Moderator

Rest well Kasumi.  This experience will be past you soon enough and you can look back fondly.  

Hugs, Jani

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations @Kasumi63! I wish you the very best on your recovery. The “everything hit me” moments will likely occur more than once. It’s a big change for you and it takes a while to make the full mental adjustment but at the same time it’s an amazing time in your life. I am so happy for you and this new part of your journey.

All My Best,

Susan R?

Happy to hear everything went well, Kasumi san!  sorry to hear its such a difficult time without visitors, but you'll be better and up and about soon, I'm sure.  Sending positive prayers your way❤️

Thank you, Kay-san! This is very overwhelming, even though everything seems to be going well. The days seem to be dragging, so I’ll be happy when a couple weeks pass. Ugh. Ugh.

Sorry for moaning, but it’s just so painful and exhausting. I’m hanging in there, but sometimes I just start to cry.

Congratulations Kasumi63!

Not having visitors must be hard. This part will be over soon and you will be able to move on to an amazing life. Wishing you the best!

Hugs,

Mike