• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

FTM - Meal and Workout suggestions

Myles97

Hi folks!!

I am getting ready to start T and come out to my family and friends within the next month. I want to lose some fat and start building some muscle. Anyone have any good suggestions for specific snacks and meals to help me in this journey? I have a good idea for an exercise plan, but eating healthy is always a bit tricky for me. I appreciate any feedback! 

Myles

he/him 

In my "Before Times", this is a topic that made my head spin. There is so much bad information out there and get ripped quick schemes. Most of the info is wrong and most of the schemes don't really work.

If you are trying to bulk you need to focus on lifting weights but still need to do some cardio. 

Check out a guy on youtube by the name of Scooby. He's a bodybuilder that gives tons of free info, including nutrition. There are also various videos on youtube about meals for body builders.

You should have good protein and fat sources. Chicken breasts and peanut butter are great. If you can afford it, eat some salmon too. Milk is good if you can tolerate it. Oatmeal. Almonds. Brown rice and quinoa. Olive oil is a great fat source to use in cooking. Eat lots of veggies, buy them frozen if you want. Eat some fruit, but not too much. Greek yogurt is good too. Eggs can give you tons of options. If you are worried about the yolk just get the cartons of egg white. There is conflicting info about red meat, I would limit it just to be safe.

Now what about supplementing with protein shakes. If you can meet your protein and calorie intake from food, just do that. If it is more convenient for you and you can afford it, you can supplement with a shake. I warn you tho, shakes are dark territory. Many of them are loaded with junk and some even contain trace elements of harmful materials - just like vitamins, they are not regulated. I never got into using them so I don't really have any to recommend, but Scooby does. His main idea tho is to get what you need from actual food. My advice is to just forgo supplements - I've seen people easily overuse them and end up with a bloated blocky look, because the extra calories just add layers of fat to their hard earned muscle. Oh, and yes, protein farts and protein poops are a thing, mostly from the shakes.

One of the biggest overlooked pieces of building muscle tho, is rest and sleep! Get lots.

I was never one of those big muscle types. I was always skinny, and tried my best to build muscle, never really was able to, I just couldn't eat all that food and spend so much time working out. It was a part of my hypermasculinity phase as I tried to hard to be what I was not meant to be. I hope that helps.

19 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

In my "Before Times", this is a topic that made my head spin. There is so much bad information out there and get ripped quick schemes. Most of the info is wrong and most of the schemes don't really work.

If you are trying to bulk you need to focus on lifting weights but still need to do some cardio. 

Check out a guy on youtube by the name of Scooby. He's a bodybuilder that gives tons of free info, including nutrition. There are also various videos on youtube about meals for body builders.

You should have good protein and fat sources. Chicken breasts and peanut butter are great. If you can afford it, eat some salmon too. Milk is good if you can tolerate it. Oatmeal. Almonds. Brown rice and quinoa. Olive oil is a great fat source to use in cooking. Eat lots of veggies, buy them frozen if you want. Eat some fruit, but not too much. Greek yogurt is good too. Eggs can give you tons of options. If you are worried about the yolk just get the cartons of egg white. There is conflicting info about red meat, I would limit it just to be safe.

Now what about supplementing with protein shakes. If you can meet your protein and calorie intake from food, just do that. If it is more convenient for you and you can afford it, you can supplement with a shake. I warn you tho, shakes are dark territory. Many of them are loaded with junk and some even contain trace elements of harmful materials - just like vitamins, they are not regulated. I never got into using them so I don't really have any to recommend, but Scooby does. His main idea tho is to get what you need from actual food. My advice is to just forgo supplements - I've seen people easily overuse them and end up with a bloated blocky look, because the extra calories just add layers of fat to their hard earned muscle. Oh, and yes, protein farts and protein poops are a thing, mostly from the shakes.

One of the biggest overlooked pieces of building muscle tho, is rest and sleep! Get lots.

I was never one of those big muscle types. I was always skinny, and tried my best to build muscle, never really was able to, I just couldn't eat all that food and spend so much time working out. It was a part of my hypermasculinity phase as I tried to hard to be what I was not meant to be. I hope that helps.

Thank you so much for all of that helpful information. You’re right, there is so much conflicting stuff on the internet so it’s hard to know where to begin. This is super helpful, and I’ll definitely check out scooby. Thanks again!!! 

You're welcome :) You can message me too if you get stuck or need a second opinion on something. This is a topic I am passionate about and want people to succeed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)

• Shay
    • ElizabethStar
    • Jackie C.
    • SaraphimL
    • Ainsley
    • VickySGV
    • CD Rachel
    • Cyndee
    • AwesomeClaire