• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pessimist, are you one? and did it help you being one?

Linda Marie

Well all my new to meet friends, I felt like starting something crazy so here goes...

I'm a pessimist, I have always looked at the worst case scenario in any situation.

How many times did being a pessimist work out or not work out for you? 

Now not to be biased all passivists are more than welcomed to post your 

side and your views, hmmmm   who will be first?

• Forum Moderator

My view is that to look to failure is often to achieve it. If I was too pessamistic I would never have reason to start my projects and, looking back, I have seen that many have turned out rather well. I usually find though that a balanced view is the good option.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

I'm a pessimist of sorts. What that prompts me to do though is to have a contingency plan so if things go sideways I can go to the backup plan. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.

Diving into transition was different. Basically it was, "Any result would be better than now."

Same with my GCS honestly: "No matter what the result, my dysphoria monster will shut up."

Fallback plans just come up in everyday life. "Well, I can't do X, but there's still Y. If Y falls through, there's always Z." I find it better than my female birth-parent's strategy of, "If I can't do X, then give up and go home." She was a "joy" to deal with.

Hugs!

I get called a pessimist a lot. I don't look for failure, I ask what if this or that happens and then, Linda, you're

such a pessimist.. Back up plans are really important to me.  

I have recently been over this with my wife and my therapist. While the optimist sees the glass as half full, the pessimist sees it as half empty. I see the glass and immediately begin to think OMG the glass is obviously defective and is leaking water that is probably leaking down the wall into the electrical outlet causing an electrical short and any second now this whole building will erupt into flames! I need to quickly identify all of the nearest emergency exits and begin to formulate a plan for getting my self and loved ones out that exit should a panic ensue during the inferno that is coming....

Yep, lived my whole life like this. My mind is seldom at peace. My wife had stated to me on many occasions "You just never seem to relax and enjoy anything". Now she knows why I can not.

Rachel

Gosh I'm so much like that also. I didn't know if I was laughing at your wonderful post or laughing at myself!

I'm a pessimist and see it as a defence system. I've had a rough life, and if I expect the worst, I wont be disappointed.  

• Forum Moderator

I'm more of an optimist.  I seem to always think things will be easier than they are.  If I were more honest I probably wouldn't have started half the things I've done in life! 

Anyway, Being a pessimist failed me when I came out.  Yeah, know it all me...and bam...

I failed to prepare for the life I was about to enter. 

Optimists can fail to prepare, too. "Blind optimism" is a phrase because of that, being so optimistic that you overlook any barriers or fail to see any problems. 

I like to plan for if things go bad, there is nothing wrong with that. I generally think things will work out ok. I went thru multiple dark periods of my life where nothing seemed worth doing, I would always fail, or that I was not needed. The issue is when you don't do things at all because you automatically think they won't work out, or you attempt something and immediately start to be mean to yourself because you think the outcome will be terrible, with no evidence of that.