• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My Church Has Be Ousted by the SBC

KimmieElise

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, KimmieElise said:

I attend a church recently thrown out of the Southern Baptist Convention for accepting LGBT people as members.

It sounds like a wonderful church with some really loving and affirming  people. You’re very lucky to find such a church. Does it automatically become non-denominational or some other LGBTQ supporting baptist related denomination? Curious minds need to know.

I was fully integrated into a Southern Baptist church for over a decade before finally leaving. I remained good friends with many of the members though. Now some 15 years later they’ve all been updated as to my new gender status. Surprisingly enough, only the pastor had trouble with my life change. Most of my friends from the church are somewhere between indifferent and conditional accepting. It’s so nice to see that your ex-SB church has bridged that gap and joined the rest of us in the 21st century.

Hey, that blog post of yours is extremely well written with some good points. I forwarded it to a few friends. Thank you for sharing it with us here. 

My Best,

Susan R?

On 2/28/2021 at 1:59 PM, KimmieElise said:

I attend a church recently thrown out of the Southern Baptist Convention for accepting LGBT people as members.  If you are not aware, I blog on largely Christian topics.  I hope you find this uplifting and useful. https://www.minds.com/kimmie_elise/blog/a-city-on-a-hill-takes-enemy-fire-1212831170415742976

Right up my alley girl!

On 2/28/2021 at 11:45 PM, Susan R said:

Does it automatically become non-denominational or some other LGBTQ supporting baptist related denomination? Curious minds need to know.

The church will remain Baptist, just not part of the SBC.  The term Baptist is an umbrella term for churches that hold to the notion of baptism by volition, so they don't baptize children, and they do full dunking.  Most Baptist churches are relatively Evangelical in doctrinal structure, and share similar points of faith - salvation by grace, Triune God, the Bible as inspired infallible, and inerrant, etc.  Most do not feel some of the more miraculous beliefs of the Charismatics or Pentecostals are still valid in this time.  We will probably be an Independent Baptist Church unless we find some other loose association to join with.  We will probably never have a hard association like we did the SBC again.

• 3 months later...