• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just starting my transition MTF

Michelle367

At 68 years old I have decided I must be myself and transition MTF. I have my first appointment to see a doctor set for March 18th, No idea if I will be able to get a prescription for them or if she will require me to do more first. I am excited to have this started and my name change to Michelle will be April 6th. I am very excited about that, but at the same time all this seems scary. Is that normal? I have been living as a female for about 2 years now. Never thought I could handle doing the name change. 

• Forum Moderator

@Michelle367 Welcome - I am 68 and started my transition right after turning 68. It's nice to have you here. I found this forum extremely wonderful for support and helping me. I now have a new therapist who specializes in Gender Identity and Dysphoria, I have been on HRT after 8 months and I have friends I've met here, our age, who have been instrumental in ALL ASPECTS of what I've denied all my life. I believe you will find comfort, great listeners, advice from those who who are like you, understand what you've been going through and won't push you to do anything that does not feel right for you.

By the way I go by Shay here but my friends call me Heather and in honor of my birth name I also go by Michelle with my LGBTQ Healthcare system.

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Michelle367 said:

No idea if I will be able to get a prescription for them or if she will require me to do more first.

It will entirely depend on your health. They'll probably just do a consult on the first visit, run your bloodwork, that kind of thing.

So yeah! Welcome to Transpulse! I see you've met Heather and hope you find more people whom you resonate with. Not that there's anything wrong with Heather, but we can always use more friends.

Please join in the discussion, ask questions and join in the discussion as the mood strikes you. Lovely to meet you and we're glad you're here!

Hugs!

On 3/3/2021 at 2:52 PM, Michelle367 said:

I am very excited about that, but at the same time all this seems scary. Is that normal?

This is just something I'm thinking of and kinda understand but, even if you were out for 2 years, changing name legally could mean the point of no return? , like the little doubt still here just in case, well that's what it would be for me idk about you after all we're all different but yea maybe it's that you're worried about not able to come back if the doubt comes but if you're very excited than I think it'll be fine congratulation it's really awesome ^^

and also welcome! everyone here is really nice here I'm telling you ^^

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, Michelle367 said:

At 68 years old I have decided I must be myself and transition MTF. I have my first appointment to see a doctor set for March 18th, No idea if I will be able to get a prescription for them or if she will require me to do more first. I am excited to have this started and my name change to Michelle will be April 6th. I am very excited about that, but at the same time all this seems scary. Is that normal? I have been living as a female for about 2 years now. Never thought I could handle doing the name change. 

Hello I’m Khris and about to start transitioning @47 and scary exciting at the same time ... have my first appointment to start hormones mtf April 6 .. so can relate and have a a lot to learn . Just now joined forum myself . So much to talk about .. sometimes don’t even know where to start . Hope to hear how you are doing and so glad to see and hear about people I can relate too . Happy beginnings to you !!

Hello, Michelle,

i, too, an 68 years old and just coming out and beginning transition. It is a bit scary, especially at our age. The few people and family I’ve already come out to worry about the age factor and the possibly difficult days ahead. I here told them that yes, there might be difficulties and stressful times, but the happiness, fulfillment, and excitement far outweigh any problems. I hope to start HRT as soon as possible and am just waiting for my appointment. I am eager to talk about starting hormones at 68 as I have read they often are far less effective than with younger women. Well, it is good to know we are not alone. Very nice to meet you and very best wishes. Edy