• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Preferred Names....

Hsarandos

Hi all! My child 11 years old came out a few months ago (F to M). I’ve been very supportive and proud even that he has felt comfortable enough to come out to me so young. We consulted with the doctor, got set up with a psychologist to move in the direction of puberty blockers and such. Ive gotten him a new wardrobe, cut his hair, purged all things girl from his room. I’ve been on board for everything until he came up with a preferred name and it’s like me and his dad have hit a brick wall. I didn’t expect something seemingly as small as a name would be my “issue”.  My child doesn’t have a “girl” name, it’s actually a gender neutral name that is more often used for boys, a famous football player even. But instead he wants to be called Xi by everyone, teachers, us, family etc.

He’s my oldest and I remember how excited I was to pick his name. I spent HOURS combing websites, books, my brain, making lists. I see it as a gift of love that me and his father gave him when he was born and it upsets both of us that he wants to change it. If it was a girl name I would understand but it’s a boy name too, so what to do?! I’m not a fan of my name either but I understand my parents picked it special for me so I’d never change it eventhough I’d prefer something else.

Im also concerned because he is so young, what he likes now might not be what he likes later in life and it’s not practical to have to keep changing his name. I told him this and asked him to just sit on the name for a while and revisit in a few months to see it that’s really what he wants. I tried suggesting Xi be a nickname his friends use but that was a no-go. He wants everyone to use Xi.  It’s been our only but constant battle with him. Even if I come around, his dad will be harder to convince. 😕

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Salutations @Hsarandos! Welcome to Transpulse!

So your son wants to be called Xi. That's the name that he thinks fits him the best. He likes it. He wants to be called Xi. Go for it. If he decides he wants to change it later, that's OK too. I didn't go with my first choice, but it's not really a big deal.

I think you're getting a little hung up on all the work you did to name your son. The thing with names though is that we hang them on someone before we really get to know them. Sure, you know your son fairly well (at least it seems like that, kudos for being supportive parents by the way) now, but how well did you know him when he was just born? Heck, you thought he was a girl!

His reluctance to go with his given name could be bad feelings because he associates it with being a girl. Sure, it's unisex, but when he wore it, it was while he was pretending to be a girl. He might not want the reminder. The time we spend pretending to be the gender everybody says we are hurts and your son might just want a clean break. I'm not saying you have to change it in the Official Records just yet. Let that ride for a while until he's sure. If that's the name he wants going forward as your son though? Call him Xi. Being trans is stressful enough, he needs your love, acceptance and support. It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Hugs!

I'm probably old enough to be your childs grandparent, but I'm going through some questioning about how to address my own legal name. I wonder if the solution I'm thinking of for myself may be appropriate for your child. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to official/registered names in USA (I'm in UK), but why not legally ADD your child's new name to their registered name. I have many friends and family who choose one of their first names to be known by. My Mother in Law for example has always be known by her 2nd registered name.

If you were to register your child's new name as their first but retain their original name as a second would this compromise work for you both?

Hsarandos

@Niamh funny you mention that but that’s exactly what my child suggested last night as far as adding Xi as his first name and bumping his original name to his middle name! But I think @Jackie C. is right, for the moment don’t need to change the official papers yet until later on. Give him time to make sure he likes that and wants to keep it. And it makes total sense to me that he would want a clean break. I’ll ponder this for a while and try to wrap my head around accepting it. The smile on his face if we do is enticing though. And you’re of course right that he’s going to have enough stress in his life, why get hung up on something that could so easily make him happy. ❤️ I need this forum to help put things in perspective for sure so thank you both tremendously!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• AwesomeClaire
    • Ann W
    • Jodie
    • Lain
    • AmberM
    • Jandi
    • ValerieRun
    • Rosie.
    • MaryEllen
    • Delcina B
    • Beatriz
    • Stefi
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Pat1234
    Newest Member
    Pat1234

No users celebrating today
    • ValerieRun
      Even before I began my journey, I was always fascinated by hourglass figure. I was, of course, making up some silly reasons why I would need a waist-trainer ("it helps with weight loss") or corset. With the beginning of transition, it only made sense and became just a natural hope to achieve it. Currently, I can get a fairly good resemblance with steel-boned corset laced up all the way. And I absolutely love the feeling. One additional benefit, it helps with the posture so it is another reason to use it at least around house if you spend plenty of time sitting.   Cannot comment much on the padding, as I was starting with very non-masculine figure waist-down, and new fat redistribution only enhanced those areas to a point where shaping clothes are new reality in my future 🙂
    • Jodie
      Only one i have seen is The Crying Game
    • Willow Farmer
      Facial Team uses a private contractor, a trans woman, who is quite skilled at photo shop.   She tries to only show you what is realistically possible.   They are only interested in removing male puberty damage as much as possible and some aging in my case.  I hope it is OK to mention FT here, they are a wonderful organization.      ---WILLOW---    
    • Shay
      Some films I especially liked The Dress You Have On (YouTube omelleto channel) Normal (2003 with Tom Wilkerson and Jessica lange) The Crying Game Transamerica Zerophilia The Danish girl Call me by your name Hedwig and the angry inch The normal heart My life in pink   Any others you recommend?
    • Jandi
      Harassment seems to be the order of the day.   https://apple.news/AeKPcysdyQeS6bhc95V73lA  
    • Charlize
      Holly that top certainly does push the PG label.  A bit close to X.     I once dressed a bit over the top.  After all i had somehow noticed the women with short skirts  and low tops more than the "plain" ones.  It was also fun at first to excite that glance from men.  Time has lengthened my skirts and yet somehow i feel just as feminine even in dirty jeans and top working the farm.    We all have our styles which makes the world go round.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • MiraM
      Sounds like it may be loosely based around DBT but maybe not as in  depth.
    • Kiera
      😉 lol I am very well liked at work but, problem is, son works there as well and doesn't like talking 'bout "my issue".   Big rigs? Used to drive a '78 "extended hood" KW aerodyne  with a "3408" when cabovers were the standard (55/60' length laws)
    • ValerieRun
      I have a similar style top, also sleeveless but a bit wider should straps, and while it’s on a hanger it does look a bit “adventurous”.  But when I wear it it flows perfectly over the contours of the bra (bra cups needs to be separate enough though). Of course, when you bend over it will hang down and show the bra but it’s inevitable. And you will be tempted to adjust it to a perfect position all the time 🙂 But it is absolutely lovely once you get used to it.
    • KymmieL
      Had an unusual comment from my youngest son. We had gone out for our Friday night dinner out. Our son met us at the restaurant. While we were eating. He comments nice color finger nails. It wasn't a sarcastic comment either.   Kymmie
    • Petra Jane
      I used Faceapp for a bit of fun and this was the result.   But honestly, I think I prefer my profile picture which is all me, with just a little photomagic makeup.  
    • Red_Lauren.
      Yea, all my friends now do have big hearts, and I know they care about me. Just like I care about them. Its just hard to look at these woman some days. Knowing ill never be as good looking as them. They do say I look good, and am beautiful, but I wonder if they really mean it or are saying it because they are my friends. I'm hoping its because I really am beautiful. Its not like we are in competition with eachother over men, and they know im not in to men. 
    • Maid In Bedlam
      Wow Lus You are going back a bit. I would love a picture of that I havent seen one of those in ages. Many years ago I had an Avenger with GT badges stuck on it. It wasnt a GT in any sense of the word. Drop me a picture when you have time. I was actually always brought up with Fords. My old dad had numourous Mk1 Cortinas. My only real dip in the ford ocean was a Mk1 facelift Capri. The first ever car that I brought with my own money. Im so showing my age now lol. Im glad i dont look it   Anyway. Back on topic.   Simply Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  If you use the above as a guide. I think Citreons are an abormination to my eyes. But others love them.  You cant please all of the people all of the time. But why would you want to? Its an old rule of thumb. But I always go for how big a persons heart is. Looks are just skin deep.
    • Red_Lauren.
      For me I was sick of living everyone else's life that they had planned for me, and me being miserable among many things.    Covid happening was my start of my transition, and I didn't know it at the time, but I got to spend more time as my self. I was still working, but now I wasn't seeing my soon to be ex any more. Once the locks downs were lifted. I was going out, and enjoying my life for the first time, and made friends. With people that supported me.    As for losing things. I had nothing to lose. No kids, no wife, a dead end job. Yes I know i have had easy, but im a lot happier now. 
    • Red_Lauren.
      ,  I did think about wearing a tank or cami under it. I will show my boss a picture of it first, and see what she says.    I think I'm scared to wear it for a few reasons. One as munch as I love my chest, and show a bit of cleavage once and a while. I'm not sure im comfortable  showing that munch yet. Two people thinking it's not age appropriate. While I think its age appropriate for me at 35. Younger or older woman might not. Three being called slurs I can't say here. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.