• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pronouns

LusciousTheLock

LusciousTheLock

Hiya peeps :)  So, here in the UK we've essentially been on lockdown for the past 12 months, meaning all the shops are shut. Also meaning all the laser hair removal shops are shut. This has been traumatising. Nothing sets off a good bout of dysphoria like a nice beard in the morning!

At Christmas, after dressing at home and weekends for the past twelve months, essentially full time, I came out at work. I work with and around 200-300 people face to face as a Transport Manager, so my transition has become very public. Everybody has been polite and respectful using my new name and gender pronouns. However, It makes me feel terrible. I feel like a fraud, with makeup hiding beard all the time. I feel we're all playing make-believe with people calling me She/her. Maybe being forced to do so? Is it normal to feel this way?

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Early on? Yeah. It takes a minute for your mind to settle into the idea that you're where you're supposed to be. The dysphoria monster keeps telling you that you're a fraud and that sends you tripping down the steps into a death spiral. It is very much a fake it until you make it situation. I misgender MYSELF sometimes. It gets easier with time though. Your new identity takes precedence over the one you wore for so long. When I feel like a fraud, I revel in something girly for a while. A romance novel, treatment, dressing hyper-femme for a bit, whatever. Just to remind myself how much I love being who I am.

Hugs!

DonkeySocks

I'm sorry that you feel terrible. I'm not trying to downplay that in any way when I say: If you decided on purpose to show up to work in a full beard, it wouldn't make any difference to your being entitled to courtesy and kindness regarding your pronouns and gender. How you look and present no doubt matters to you, but it should not matter to others. What matters is how you request to be addressed, and it's nice to know people have been respectful to you. Take a cue from them and be respectful of yourself during times like these when you can't appear the way you wish you could.

That having been said, admittedly, like Jackie C., I also misgender myself, and it's hurtful, and I don't even know how much damage I'm doing because it's insidious and pervasive. So, I'm not trying to say this situation isn't bad for you.

Also, are people being forced to be polite? Maybe. If so, maybe it's good for them. Who cares? Not that your transition is about them, but at some point they're going to have to deal with others in this situation, or maybe even themselves. You needed to come out anyway for your own self-actualization, so I'm not saying you had any obligation to be some kind of beacon for trans people--but--now you are anyway! How would you want another worker in your position to be treated?

The coworkers whose pronouns and names match their societally expected appearances are also entitled to politeness, it's just that theirs is already part of a cultural habit. Like everyone else, you're trying to break that habit in yourself, or you wouldn't feel like a fraud. But you're not a fraud.

LusciousTheLock

Thanks peeps :) I suppose its just a wobble on my part. I'm just used to acting so confident all the time in front of people, it gets kind of tiring, and I start to slip and let my anxious side show momentarily. Its been a long week. Onwards and upwards lol :D

Maid In Bedlam

Reminds me of a certan lyric from The Who which goes "Here comes the new boss. Same as the old boss.

You are still the same person in essence.

I would say your overthinking it

What would surprise me more is people have not slipped and said he or him a few times. Its just human nature and being repetitive. Human beings are creatures of habit.

Could i recommend a gilette Mach 3 turbo? The one with the wiggling stem. Great for those little buger hairs that dont seem to want to be gone. Yes we all have some that got missed in the first wave.

My hats tipped to you. Coming out to 200. I worked in transport for a while and know what most are like. Bacon sandwich and beer types But you, Just like that then keeping your sanity is some going. You have gonads. Pardon the pun

LusciousTheLock

Quite a few have said "That takes balls" lol. 

Well most of my drivers are mad Tarmac'ers. We're a highway maintenance company, so not the softest and gentlest of folks, but I've had no problems and everybody has been supportive. I've even been taken back with a few "You look nice today" comments. I kinda look back to see if they're serious or not, but it seems genuine enough :)

I'm always on the lookout for a good razor, so will give the mach3 Turbo a look. At the moment I'm using a single blade Gillette for my face (Its the bit under my nose I always struggle with anything bigger) and some sort of tripple bladed thing for my body. Might even be a Tesco own brand, they work well, just not in the nooks and crannies :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)

• Stefi
    • Jackie C.
    • Teri Anne
    • Red_Lauren.
    • Cyndee
    • AmberM
    • Dutchess Penelope
    • Susan R
    • Ainsley
    • MaryEllen
    • MrsGsPhace
    • Beatriz
    • ValerieRun
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Pat1234

No users celebrating today
    • Teri Anne
      I had a 77 359 Pete with a big cam 400 Cummins, A76 GMC Astro cab over with a 600 horse Detroit Diesel / silver 92 TT/A. It was built to haul oil pipe to Alaska so it was heavy duty and perfect for hauling coal in Ky.
    • Susan R
      I saw a heartwarming/heart wrenching love story called Soldier’s Girl (2003) about six months ago and it was worth the cry. I was not disappointed. IMDB gives it 7.9 and it was well deserved.   Susan R🌷
    • Red_Lauren.
      I had a cowl neck like that many years ago, but pink. I had a love hate relationship with it. It gave me the illusion I had breast, but was less revealing. What I didn't like, and why I avoided any thing with low necks. Was because I didn't have any breast. Even though I was fluffy, a push up bra didn't do munch. Now that I have proper breast tissue, and my muscles have changed to fat. A push up bra is my friend.    Also a friend got back to me, and said it looked cute, and agrees with you guys. I can pull it off for daytime.  She just is worried about the fit. I told her I would snap a picture of me wearing it later, and send her the picture. 
    • Jandi
      I'll never have that hourglass figure.  But it doesn't really seem to be a big issue for women in my (older) age range.  Perhaps age has its perks after all.
    • Jandi
      I like Carol a lot.
    • AwesomeClaire
      I'm under 50 but still wanted to comment if that is ok. You said you can't bring yourself to talk to your wife about it, what about your daughter? Can you confide in her, and even check in with her to see how the wife would take it? Sometimes getting confirmation from another person that it may work out OK could give you that boost of confidence to approach her about it.
    • AwesomeClaire
      I don't have cleavage, but I have worn shirts for work that showed off quite a bit of chest, no one has said anything so far. As for age appropriate, I'm 37 and pretty much dress like a teenager (I get free clothes from a coworker's daughter when she gets tired of them). I have worn very small tops that show off a lot of chest and tummy, and things like fishnet stockings (not at work but out and about). I really don't think that top you showed is alarming in any way.
    • Jandi
      Sounds interesting.
    • Beatriz
      I liked very much a Chilean film called "Una mujer fantástica" (A fantastic woman, 2017). It's worth watching. Perhaps you can get it dubbed or subtitled in English.   Many Almodóvar movies portray an LGBTQ story or have it as a background. They range from the kitsch / camp to the profound, and they also vary in quality or inspiration, so people may love some and dislike others. If forced to recommend only one, I'd go for "La ley del deseo" (Law of desire, 1987).   Also, I recently watched a documentary called "Bambi" (2013) about Marie-Pierre Pruvot, nicknamed Bambi: a French trans woman born in Argelia who performed as a showgirl in the 50s and 60s and then became a teacher. She tells her story and I liked it very much.
    • ValerieRun
      Even before I began my journey, I was always fascinated by hourglass figure. I was, of course, making up some silly reasons why I would need a waist-trainer ("it helps with weight loss") or corset. With the beginning of transition, it only made sense and became just a natural hope to achieve it. Currently, I can get a fairly good resemblance with steel-boned corset laced up all the way. And I absolutely love the feeling. One additional benefit, it helps with the posture so it is another reason to use it at least around house if you spend plenty of time sitting.   Cannot comment much on the padding, as I was starting with very non-masculine figure waist-down, and new fat redistribution only enhanced those areas to a point where shaping clothes are new reality in my future 🙂
    • Jodie
      Only one i have seen is The Crying Game
    • Willow Farmer
      Facial Team uses a private contractor, a trans woman, who is quite skilled at photo shop.   She tries to only show you what is realistically possible.   They are only interested in removing male puberty damage as much as possible and some aging in my case.  I hope it is OK to mention FT here, they are a wonderful organization.      ---WILLOW---    
    • Shay
      Some films I especially liked The Dress You Have On (YouTube omelleto channel) Normal (2003 with Tom Wilkerson and Jessica lange) The Crying Game Transamerica Zerophilia The Danish girl Call me by your name Hedwig and the angry inch The normal heart My life in pink   Any others you recommend?
    • Jandi
      Harassment seems to be the order of the day.   https://apple.news/AeKPcysdyQeS6bhc95V73lA  
    • Charlize
      Holly that top certainly does push the PG label.  A bit close to X.     I once dressed a bit over the top.  After all i had somehow noticed the women with short skirts  and low tops more than the "plain" ones.  It was also fun at first to excite that glance from men.  Time has lengthened my skirts and yet somehow i feel just as feminine even in dirty jeans and top working the farm.    We all have our styles which makes the world go round.   Hugs,   Charlize
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.