• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Post-Op GCS question for using the restroom

Hello All:

I have a question and wanted to know and have heard very little about it so I will also try to keep it as clean as possible.  So after your GCS surgery and you need to use the restroom, I have heard that the first month or 2 when using the restroom that it tends to spray more than be like a stream and when it sprays, it tends to get everywhere and usually due to the swelling and getting used to the new part for going to the restroom.  Then I heard that after awhile when the swelling starts to go down that it becomes less of a spray and more of a stream in time and also you then learn how to better control it when using the restroom.  So was wondering if this is correct and what is some of the post-op girls out their experience with using the restroom from right after GCS surgery and going to the 1 year after or more?

Thank You All

Side note, I have 46 days and counting till April 21st for my GCS surgery with Dr. Crane

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

A folded piece of toilet paper held in front of your genitals will keep you from making a mess. There's a little spray but it's actually easier to control than when, for example, you get up to urinate in the middle of the night and the stream from your penis initially forks because the universe has decided to punish you in particular tonight. So yeah, a little foresight and preparation and you're good to go.

After a couple of weeks, I just sat, urinated, cleaned myself then got on my way. Here we are a year later and there are no issues. I'd recommend keeping your Kegel muscles strong with regular exercise, but that's more for sexual health and to prevent leaks.

Hugs!

• Admin
VickySGV

My spraying was mostly on my self inside my vulva and not the toilet seat, floor or ceiling, and it required simply drying myself off with a fold of TP, which is still a habit 8 years later.  As you sit down spread your legs and butt cheeks and sit straight with your body a bit forward, heels under your butt  My spraying lasted the first 6 months gradually getting better and will happen even now if I have been sitting too long.

I kept some moist towelettes in my purse and on the bathroom sink at home, the ones with Aloe in them, but check with YOUR doctor there. 

• Forum Moderator

Its a bit erratic for awhile until the swelling subsides.  I still frequently get a wet bottom.  Vicky's idea of moist towelettes is a good one.

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Yeah, I keep feminine wipes in my purse (Summer's Eve on suggestion of my surgeon). I haven't had to use one in forever, but I still keep them on hand.

Hugs!

Thank you all. So I now know what to expect as I am preparing for my surgery.  I have been preparing with getting things that I will need.  So I have gotten 64x 12.5 tubes of surgilube and a hand mirror to see down their for when I start to dilate.  I have gotten some wipes, and some pads for after surgery.  I have some loose clothing like PJ bottoms, sweats, dresses, skirts all for after surgery

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

You sound well-prepared. Did your surgeon suggest diapers? Buy them at your destination if possible, they really destroy your luggage space.

Hugs!

Kasumi63

I just got out of the hospital (today!), and I have to admit that I did a horrible job with packing. I erred on the side of having way too much. I recommend finding out about the hospital you will be staying at, and if it’s local, visit the hospital shop. Jackie’s right that diapers take up a lot of space, but so can taking lots of clothes. The hospital probably provides gowns for you to wear during your stay, and the hospital shop might have diapers and other little items you’ll need. I had a tough time getting home because of all my stuff—most of which I never used. Don’t forget entertainment, though. That’s most important, I think. Something to keep your mind distracted after surgery. Good luck!!!  Thanks for bringing up this thread. I am worrying about this, too, so the answers were really helpful for me. I still have a catheter in, so I won’t have to face that hurdle for a couple more days. 

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Fortunately after the essentials (diapers, pads, wipes) there wasn't a lot of room for clothes. I packed a couple of outfits but I was expecting to be in a gown for my hospital stay. I only needed like two or three outfits and my pajamas. I packed my tablet and my kindle though. Mostly I was using my smartphone and the TV at the hotel. Though the TV was more for my spouse. I would have liked it quieter.

Hugs!

After talking to Dr. Crane.  I will only be in the hospital for 3 days and then be sent to where I am staying.  I picked up some cheap cotton underwear that I really don't care to much if they get messed up.  Then I am really thinking on dresses and sweats for my 3 weeks in Austin TX.  I will most likely be just wearing dresses as I heard if I can wear a dress or gown that would be ideal while I am doing my life around dilation.  I am planning on once I get to Austin TX on picking up enough wipes, pads to last me 3 weeks

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

You're going to want some adult diapers. There is a LOT of ick while you heal. I didn't go back to "just pads" until I'd been home, oh, a couple of weeks anyway. At least a month before I felt brave enough that I wouldn't be soaking completely through whatever I was wearing while I was sleeping. The diapers were gross, don't get me wrong, but I didn't wreck anybody's sheets.

That's about the same schedule I had. Surgery Tuesday, discharged from the hospital on Friday. I did buy some cheap towels to use while dilating though. Like I said, there was a LOT of ick.

Hugs!

I have been told those puppy piddle pads work wonders as well and can just throw them away.  I am so glad that I am staying in an Airbnb and have access to a kitchen so I can meal prep everything before surgery so my mom can just pop something in the microwave for me and it's real super easy.  

Another question I have and my previous major surgery reminded me to ask is when you have the involuntary cough and sneezes, does it cause pain?  I remember on my stomach area when I coughed or sneezed it would hurt right on the scar and had to use a pillow over my stomach to help lessen the pain.  Would that be the same but further down?

• Forum Moderator
12 hours ago, Kasumi63 said:

I had a tough time getting home because of all my stuff—most of which I never used. 

You never need as much as you think.  I tried to be careful packing but had too much anyway! 

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.
2 hours ago, Aurora said:

Another question I have and my previous major surgery reminded me to ask is when you have the involuntary cough and sneezes, does it cause pain?

Coughing was OK, but I am a cough virtuoso. I've been coughing for years for one reason (mostly untreated allergies and asthma) for my entire life. Sneezing though. Sneezing sucks. That'll hurt. I was in terror of sneezing.

Also, do not sneeze while dilating. Remove dilator first, then let fly. Not only is it uncomfortable and can injure you, I about shot the thing across the room.

Hugs!

Kasumi63

I’m afraid my experience on coughing and sneezing was different; they hurt A LOT. Laughing, too, but I’m not feeling much temptation to laugh these days. Oh, it occurs to me, that this would be worse for me because I had a sigmoid colon vaginoplasty operation which is much worse on the stomach area.

Diapers might feel embarrassing at first, but with a catheter in, putting on underwear might be difficult for a while. I packed several pairs of underwear but haven’t worn a single pair yet. I admire your courage and determination; my pride and embarrassment went away pretty quickly. 

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

I can cough using only my upper chest. Like I said, I cough at the pro level. If you cough with your diagram, yeah, that's gonna hurt.

Hugs!

Kasumi63
4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

I can cough using only my upper chest. Like I said, I cough at the pro level. 

Wow! Is there a trick for doing that? I don’t feel in control of my coughs at all. Though at times like this, I wish I did!

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Unfortunately, it's all practice. Cough for three to six months of the year plus any time you're exposed to... well, seasons. I have like four weeks a year where my asthma isn't kicking my butt without intervention. Of course my asthma meant I COULDN'T use my lower chest. It just wouldn't inflate.

It's not GOOD for you of course, but I can keep my abdominals rock-steady during a cough and can mitigate a sneeze a little.

Hugs!

First off, I am getting really excited.  45 days and counting till April 21st for my GCS.

Then also, when I had my major surgery on my stomach area back in early 2009 for cancer.  I found that just holding a pillow over my stomach area really helped out with pain when I sneezed or cough.

Kasumi63

I bet you’re excited! Congratulations! Even if there are some painful moments, you’ll get through it! I wish you all the best!