• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any other MSWs?

Sylvia Feng

I got my MSW the end of 2019, which was before I came out to my parents and friends and started HRT, and during this time I've been unsuccessfully looking for/applying to as many positions I can find that meet my post-grad licensure requirements. I mean, the whole reason I chose an MSW over an MFT or MHC is because I wanted the other "helping" options social work offers.

While I could go on about how ridiculous it feels getting licensed to practice clinical social work is (do individual counseling without supervision), I'm just curious how other people have managed to find the work they needed to get licensed.

Thanks for your help!

• Forum Moderator

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

• Admin

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

13 hours ago, Shay said:

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

Networking is not my strong point, lol, but I guess I can try what you've suggested! Thanks! :)

12 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

I live in Florida, and while the licensure requirements are kind of similar to CA's, I'm not sure about the trans accomodation stuff you mentioned. I haven't reached out to the places you've mentioned like Planned Parenthood or any LGBTQ centers here, but I'll give it a try! A lot of the centers in FL that are looked for counselors aside from hospitals are for older patients and/or substance use issues. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

12 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

Ah, that's great to meet another MSW and you still work for the same agency you did your internship at! I wish I'd had that opportunity (I volunteer sometimes at the place I did my internship but they aren't looking for any new hires). I kinda wish I'd stayed in SF before moving to FL in 2018 for my internship, because I worked as a peer counselor at this amazing outpatient clinic for a couple years and I'm pretty sure I could have done my internship and licensure stuff with them had I stayed...ah well, lol.

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Admin
5 hours ago, Sylvia Feng said:

substance use issues.

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

Hi Vicky, I didn't intend to minimalize how much of an impact substance use problems can have on someone's life. I've also struggled with my own alcohol use problems, and have experienced being in treatment for the challenges and complications it's caused me for a big portion of my adult life.  And I wouldn't deny that in the past I've self-medicated the "GD away" with alcohol., but everyone's journey is different, right? Anyhow, I greatly appreciate you sharing what happened with you in treatment, and how things have worked out for you!

• 2 months later...