• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bye bye muscles.

Red_Lauren.

Let me start by saying this. I spent most of my life working on farms, and doing heavy manual labor. If I wasn't so lax on working out, and loved junk food. I probably could have had most mens dream body. 

I left that all behind after two months of hormones. For a few reasons. My body was getting worn down from a life time of that work, and a lost of strength, and endurance. So it was only a matter of time before I got hurt or killed. 

So I'm just a hair over 3 months of hormones now. About a month ago I noticed my chest wasn't as bully. OK I never had visible pecs, but I saw a lose of mass as my breast grew. Today I was checking my self out, and noticed less bulk on my chest, shoulders, back, and upper arms.

For a example with my arms. They looked huge just relaxed before, and were soild. Now relaxed their is still mass there, but its no where as soild. If I flex they now there is no bulge, and it feels like my old arms relaxed. I'm just suprised I have lost mass that quickly. Maybe there is hope for me yet. That I won't look like a linebacker in a dress..

Hey Red

you will lose muscle but you need to continue to work on toning your body. Cause the HRT will cause fat to be distributed. So while you stop with  weights or lifting . you still need cardio. Exercise is a good thing it will keep sane.

OK now you pic look amazing for someone on HRT for only 3months.

Keep rocking it

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, my muscle mass is leaner than it used to be. I don't bulk up like I would with my exercise regimen when I still had T in my system. @Lexi C is right on the cardio though. It won't help you lose all that much weight, but it will keep your heart and lungs in good shape. That's important because you need those.

If you choose to start an exercise regimen, remember to stretch. That'll keep your body toned while preventing you from getting the knotted muscles you probably remember from being a farm girl. You want lean.

I work out regularly, but I've just got lean muscle mass. My legs look fantastic and my arms are starting to shape up. I can also still do the things I need to do to get through my day (like pushing a dead car). I started my regimen to keep from losing too much muscle mass to HRT and I've since discovered that I kind of like being an amazon. Time well spent in my opinion.

Hugs!

I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be. I went to pick up a 50lb bag of salt melt a month ago and nearly couldn't get into the cart. lol. I used to sling those things.  I obsess with body measurements and noticed a quick drop off in biceps ,thighs , chest size after a few months of HRT.  It seems to have stabilized now after 7 months.

10 hours ago, Lexi C said:

Hey Red

you will lose muscle but you need to continue to work on toning your body. Cause the HRT will cause fat to be distributed. So while you stop with  weights or lifting . you still need cardio. Exercise is a good thing it will keep sane.

OK now you pic look amazing for someone on HRT for only 3months.

Keep rocking it

That picture was taken about two month before hormones, and probably my last pre hormone picture. My hairdresser told me last time I saw her. That my face is getting more soft. 

2 hours ago, Bri2020 said:

I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be. I went to pick up a 50lb bag of salt melt a month ago and nearly couldn't get into the cart. lol. I used to sling those things.  I obsess with body measurements and noticed a quick drop off in biceps ,thighs , chest size after a few months of HRT.  It seems to have stabilized now after 7 months.

I noticed my hand strength has gone down a lot the most. 

8 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Yeah, my muscle mass is leaner than it used to be. I don't bulk up like I would with my exercise regimen when I still had T in my system. @Lexi C is right on the cardio though. It won't help you lose all that much weight, but it will keep your heart and lungs in good shape. That's important because you need those.

If you choose to start an exercise regimen, remember to stretch. That'll keep your body toned while preventing you from getting the knotted muscles you probably remember from being a farm girl. You want lean.

I work out regularly, but I've just got lean muscle mass. My legs look fantastic and my arms are starting to shape up. I can also still do the things I need to do to get through my day (like pushing a dead car). I started my regimen to keep from losing too much muscle mass to HRT and I've since discovered that I kind of like being an amazon. Time well spent in my opinion.

Hugs!

I have to start working out again. The last year with covid, and working 6 days a week. Kinda put a hamper on that. I do at least walk a few days a week on the treadmill. 

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Bri2020 said:

That's exactly the reason I started working out. I wanted to maintain muscle mass and bone density. Now I've got more than I started with. For example; I was asked, "Can you lift 50 pounds occasionally?" for a job interview. The answer now is, "Sure, but I'll struggle a little if I have to lift it one-handed much higher than my waist." I can only do one-arm curls to about 45 lbs. right now. Something I'm working on.

I find I like being able to do things. I don't always have a "big strong man" around to help me with jars.

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

That's exactly the reason I started working out. I wanted to maintain muscle mass and bone density. Now I've got more than I started with. For example; I was asked, "Can you lift 50 pounds occasionally?" for a job interview. The answer now is, "Sure, but I'll struggle a little if I have to lift it one-handed much higher than my waist." I can only do one-arm curls to about 45 lbs. right now. Something I'm working on.

I find I like being able to do things. I don't always have a "big strong man" around to help me with jars.

Hugs!

Lifting things is what scares me soon. Not because of my job. I will never go back to manual labor jobs, but moving. I don't have a lot of big and heavy items. What I have did take me, and a another man to move. I better start sucking up to the girlfriend's who have men or teenage boys in there life. 

1 hour ago, Red_Lauren. said:

Lifting things is what scares me soon. Not because of my job. I will never go back to manual labor jobs, but moving. I don't have a lot of big and heavy items. What I have did take me, and a another man to move. I better start sucking up to the girlfriend's who have men or teenage boys in there life. 

My goal as I age has always been to maintain the strength/shape needed to do all the activities I normally do in life.  Anything beyond that I am happy to ask for help or hire someone.  I've had physical limitations for about 15 years with all my back injuries so I've come to accept that I do have limits.  I just want to be able to garden, scuba dive etc into my 90s ;)

1 hour ago, Bri2020 said:

My goal as I age has always been to maintain the strength/shape needed to do all the activities I normally do in life.  Anything beyond that I am happy to ask for help or hire someone.  I've had physical limitations for about 15 years with all my back injuries so I've come to accept that I do have limits.  I just want to be able to garden, scuba dive etc into my 90s ;)

I kinda feel the same way. As long as I can still do my job, fish, hunt, and drive both at the track, and daily. I'm good. Im aware as I get older track driving might go away. As my reactions slow, but I can handle that. 

For the record, HRT does NOT move fat to different areas of your body. It simply deposits new fat in typically female areas. If you lose fat, and then gain new fat, the new fat usually will go to areas that it does on cis women. But HRT will NOT move fat.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, Jackie C. said:

I don't always have a "big strong man" around to help me with jars.

Yeah, frustrating.  I got a couple of strap wrenches for those emergencies.

I have had no hormones other than what my adrenals produce for the last year and loss of strength is the ONLY thing I miss. I have a small farm/zoo and the feed sacks are definitely heavier than before. Other things I have to do are also harder now. Still, it more than balances out!

Hugs,

Mike

On 3/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Red_Lauren. said:

That I won't look like a linebacker in a dress..

That is what I hope I don't want to look like. I hope I will look more like a plus size cheerleader.

The same happened for me, I had some nice muscle definition and wide lats. One day, after being on HRT for a while, I ran my hand along my back. I was shocked, there was like nothing there muscle wise. My arms and legs still have decent definition from Fitness Boxing 2 on the Switch and keeping up with some strength training. Speaking of that, you shouldn't drop the strength training. You won't develop the kind of muscle you had pre-hrt, and strength training is really good for your mood and bones. I'm getting back into a more regular program of it myself.

2 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

The same happened for me, I had some nice muscle definition and wide lats. One day, after being on HRT for a while, I ran my hand along my back. I was shocked, there was like nothing there muscle wise. My arms and legs still have decent definition from Fitness Boxing 2 on the Switch and keeping up with some strength training. Speaking of that, you shouldn't drop the strength training. You won't develop the kind of muscle you had pre-hrt, and strength training is really good for your mood and bones. I'm getting back into a more regular program of it myself.

13 hours ago, Mickey said:

For the record, HRT does NOT move fat to different areas of your body. It simply deposits new fat in typically female areas. If you lose fat, and then gain new fat, the new fat usually will go to areas that it does on cis women. But HRT will NOT move fat.

I know that. This definitely wasn't fat that went missing. My upper body is definitely slimer. 

I know I have to get to a gym at some point again. I do walk about a hour a day ok the treadmill for now. I was never a runner. Even in my high-school days. I just don't have time right now to get back to a gym. 

10 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

I know that. This definitely wasn't fat that went missing. My upper body is definitely slimer. 

I know I have to get to a gym at some point again. I do walk about a hour a day ok the treadmill for now. I was never a runner. Even in my high-school days. I just don't have time right now to get back to a gym. 

It's ok, I don't go to the gym, I just do things at home. Easier and quicker that way and don't have to deal with some of the annoying gym people.

12 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

It's ok, I don't go to the gym, I just do things at home. Easier and quicker that way and don't have to deal with some of the annoying gym people.

When I was going to the gym. I never really had the annoying gym people. I  went around 1 or 2 pm. So the high school kids were in school, and the gym rats where at work.  

1 hour ago, Red_Lauren. said:

When I was going to the gym. I never really had the annoying gym people. I  went around 1 or 2 pm. So the high school kids were in school, and the gym rats where at work.  

Haha nice. I forgot to mention that I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for the membership, even the Planet Fitness one that was like 10 bucks a month haha.

1 hour ago, AwesomeClaire said:

Haha nice. I forgot to mention that I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for the membership, even the Planet Fitness one that was like 10 bucks a month haha.

I was going to the y. It was at the time the nearest gym. I just don't have the time right now. I also hate mask. I have only one working nostril most days. Some days none. I struggle to breath just wearing it relaxing. Let alone working out. Plus I'm in not that comfortable going to a gym. Being out in public, and being my self are not a issue. Its just im going through my ugly duckling phase, and don't want to be seen at a gym. 

13 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

I was going to the y. It was at the time the nearest gym. I just don't have the time right now. I also hate mask. I have only one working nostril most days. Some days none. I struggle to breath just wearing it relaxing. Let alone working out. Plus I'm in not that comfortable going to a gym. Being out in public, and being my self are not a issue. Its just im going through my ugly duckling phase, and don't want to be seen at a gym. 

Oh yes the ugly duckling thing, I have finally put that behind me, it took a while.

3 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

Oh yes the ugly duckling thing, I have finally put that behind me, it took a while.

I feel fine in makeup. The funny thing is I have killer hazel eyes that pop with liner and mascara. I can even get lost in my own eyes from time to time, and my girlfriends are even jealous of my eyes, so my eyes draw the attention away from my face.  

• 2 weeks later...

My body has a crazy affinity for being muscular. I was an inactive kid and young adult, but I looked like an athlete and people often asked what I did to stay in shape. LOL. I had well developed pecs before I started HRT.

That was 25 years ago. My arms, back and shoulders atrophied quite a bit, but my chest, legs and abs hardly at all.

Though my butt looks fine, I've been meaning to do strength training for glutes, thighs and hips for years, meaning to grow those to balance top and bottom better, and I'm finally doing it now. And what the heck, I thought I'd tone the arms, too. Turns out, muscle memory is a thing, even after 25 years. Or probably it's just a weird thing my body has with wanting to be muscular. I swear, after just four "arm days" I look muscular again. Not as before, but I could embarrass lots of men.

My butt protrudes quite a lot, so I look good in profile, but I still have no hips. Working on that.

Strength training is actually an important part of my current life plan. I met a non-binary person recently and they got me thinking that I should take advantage of my weird genes and get fit looking again, gender incongruity be damned. I've been saying for decades that I'm built like a wrestler, and I've tried to hide it, but these days, I think, "so what?"

• Forum Moderator

Nah, muscle memory is totally a thing. I work out with a former bodybuilder and she swears by it. Unfortunately, by the same token your FAT also remembers... stupid fat...

Hugs!

13 hours ago, anyanka said:

My body has a crazy affinity for being muscular. I was an inactive kid and young adult, but I looked like an athlete and people often asked what I did to stay in shape. LOL. I had well developed pecs before I started HRT.

That was 25 years ago. My arms, back and shoulders atrophied quite a bit, but my chest, legs and abs hardly at all.

Though my butt looks fine, I've been meaning to do strength training for glutes, thighs and hips for years, meaning to grow those to balance top and bottom better, and I'm finally doing it now. And what the heck, I thought I'd tone the arms, too. Turns out, muscle memory is a thing, even after 25 years. Or probably it's just a weird thing my body has with wanting to be muscular. I swear, after just four "arm days" I look muscular again. Not as before, but I could embarrass lots of men.

My butt protrudes quite a lot, so I look good in profile, but I still have no hips. Working on that.

Strength training is actually an important part of my current life plan. I met a non-binary person recently and they got me thinking that I should take advantage of my weird genes and get fit looking again, gender incongruity be damned. I've been saying for decades that I'm built like a wrestler, and I've tried to hide it, but these days, I think, "so what?"

I'd be interested to know what exercises you are using to add hip size.

3 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

I'd be interested to know what exercises you are using to add hip size.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of muscles to the outside of the hip, where bulk would help. But here is what I've found, by looking at muscular women who have a shape I'd kill for, and also muscular men, some of whom, I swear, would look feminine enough with boobs LOL, at muscle anatomy pictures, and googling "weight training target <musclename>".

To get the legs wider you need to target the quads. It is difficult to target individual muscles (there are four, hence the name), so you have to be willing to live with bulkier legs, not just wider. I'm fine with that. On the back of the legs there is the hamstring, which gives depth if you want that, but even if you don't, you're going to be hitting the hamstrings when you train the glutes and quads. Again, you have to be willing to accept "thiccness" in addition to width. I'm more than happy with that.

On the hip there is the TFL, which isn't typically targeted at all, but there are exercises for the glutes that target the TFL more than others. For making the butt rounder and protrude more, there is the glute max, and for width there is the glute medius and glute minimus.

Starting with an exercise I haven't researched, it just makes the front, outer hips look hot when they are "pumped", is what I call standing leg lifts. Not sure if this is an exercise anyone actually does. You stand, putting all your weight on one foot, and lift the other knee. I do it with two 10-pound ankle weights strapped to my calf, and I balance by putting my fingers on a table. I believe this targets the TFL, and probably also the rectus femorus, one of the quads. Possibly also the sartorus, a muscle I haven't found a specific exercise for. Basically, it makes the front outer hips, where the leg openings of granny panties are already tight on me, "pump up", and it feels great and looks great, so I'm doing this stupid exercise. If this is successful, this should give a rounder look to the top, outer legs. But it's not the OUTSIDE outside.

The glute max is the biggest muscle of the butt. In fact it's supposed to be the biggest muscle in your body. There is lots of info online for targeting this muscle, but basically, hip thrust (I do the one-leg variant since I don't have a lot of weights I can use at home), the bulgarian split squat, the goblet squat, frog pump, donkey kicks (with ankle weights), and reverse hyperextension (I do it with a yoga pad on a board on a big storage bin--it's difficult to find something to do this on at home). There are others, too.

For glute medius, minimus, and TFL, basically "the side", there is any hip abduction exercise, and hip rotation. I also do a weighted "hip hike", standing on the edge of a low platform, with 20 pounds of ankle weights strapped to my calf, and a 5 pound looped around my foot, 25 pounds total (kick off the 5 pounder for the second set, remove one of the 10 pounders for the third set). Abduction exercises are crouching side steps with exercise bands (1) around the ankles to target the TFL and (2) around the knees, much heavier band on the latter, and there are standing and lying lateral leg raises, and there is clamshell. To target the upper, outer booty, do reverse clam shell, with ankle weights. In addition to all of these, I also do hip adduction (as opposed to abduction). You'll have to just google that one. It's difficult to do at home. I use a device I created out of pipe and two exercise bands. I'll upload a photo some time.

Because balance and core strength are important to avoid injury, I also do back extension, crunches and reverse crunches.

Because I'm also generally just interested in leg bulk, I also do leg extension, which is difficult to do at home (I use a high chair, a rolled towel under the knee, and lots of ankle weights), leg curls (which I do standing, with ankle weights, have to figure out something more), nordic curls and reverse nordic curls (both of which I'm doing assisted atm).

My calves are already crazy muscular, so I don't do many of these, but to target calves, so one-leg standing calf raises, hanging off the edge of the bottom step of a stairway, or on some other stable platform.