• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dilation tips

Kasumi63

Well, it’s now a month after GCS!  It still aches down there, and now I have to start dilating. Ugh. It’s only been a couple days, and I know it will get easier, but I take half an hour (or more!) just to get myself started each time. It’s not painful, but it’s definitely unpleasant. BTW, I had the sigmoid colon vaginoplasty technique, so things might be a bit different. I’m now using the yellow dilator from the Soul Source series. It looks pretty small but feels huge! Good thing I live in Japan! (Sorry. Bad joke.)

Any tips for dilating? Or making this a bit less unpleasant? I’m also hoping for tips on clean up—especially inside. I asked my doctor, and he just said stick a finger in there. That can’t be right, can it? I’m considering buying a simple device (a tube for squirting water inside) for this, but I don’t want to hurt myself. Advice, please!

• Forum Moderator

Hrm, you've got the silicone ones. Mine are hard plastic. If you're having trouble with the yellow one, start with a smaller size for like five minutes. That'll help you relax before you size up. Also, well, it gets easier with time. My first month or so was a nightmare, but I eventually worked out my technique. You might also try elevating your pelvis a little to open everything up. I basically rested my butt on my yoga pillow for the first couple of months to get the angle right. A little elevation makes a difference.

For clean up on the inside, I use a <water balloon> once every couple of weeks. I also shower once I'm done. Not really an option for multiple times a day, but you do what you can.

So yeah, angle, relax and maybe start a little smaller to loosen up before you go for the big boys.

Hugs!

• Admin

I kept all my stuff in a plastic shoe box with a lid on it that keep the freshly washed dilators and tubes of lube in it.  I personally used some terry cloth wash cloths that are sold in packs of 24 at big box stores for use in hotels  where they get tough use.  They felt better on my skin than any of the tissue things people use and throw away.  You do wash them between uses and fabric softener helps them.  Have one to wipe your dilator off and another to wipe you off and it does not feel as gunky.  I got told to take a tub bath that I could sit in and get my bottom cleaned out mostly by swishing the clear water into the area, and then carefully drying it off.  I was told my hair dryer could be used to help the dry-off.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips! I’ve definitely been using them, especially using the hairdryer, having a box, and sitting on a pillow. A lot of getting through this is psychological, too. Somewhere in these forums, someone used the phrase “embracing dilation.” I’m trying to do that. As I mentioned before, I used to take half an hour just to psych myself up to get started. Recently, I’ve been able to just plunge into it (horrible unintended pun). Getting a pleasant routine down helps a lot. For me, I usually watch a video on my iPad to keep my mind distracted, followed by a nice shower, hair drying, and a little nap. Trying to make this as pleasant as possible.

8D7A7D6A-76B8-49B4-B002-57002FF0879C.jpeg

So I’ve had a lot of difficulties with a ring scar contracture (that I’ll finally have surgery for this coming Tuesday) so I’ve had to deal with a lot of issues with dilation. Some thing I found the most useful was my pelvic floor therapist and yoga. Also, cutting bread and sugar out your diet helps with inflammatory processes within your body. I also live by CBD oil. Hope the best in your journey! I’m almost a year post op and the struggle is real! 

Hi, Kylie. I think you’re right about trying to eat healthier. I haven’t been too bad, but definitely had a better diet pre-op. Sorry to hear about your struggles. I can imagine how tough it’s been. I’m now two months post-op, and I’m starting to feel depressed. Dilation has gone well, but I still can’t even sit without pain—no, not even using one of those donut cushions. I’d like to try yoga or exercise more, but I don’t think I’m capable yet. It’s just long day after long day. Just want to return to normal. You hang in there, too. Good luck with your surgery! I hope things get better after that.

Girl, I understand! The depression post-op is hard. But trust me, it gets better! As far as sitting, I’ve noticed everyone is different. I still have some restriction when I sit. So I’ve had to reinvent how I sit without having any issues. 

3 hours ago, Kylie said:So I’ve had to reinvent how I sit without having any issues. 

So do tell!!!  I still haven’t figured this out myself, so please let us hear how you do it. As I suggested before, the donut-shaped cushion only helps for a short time. These days, I spend most of my time vertical. Hang in there! I hope you’re closer to a full recovery than I am!

• Forum Moderator
7 hours ago, Kylie said:

As far as sitting, I’ve noticed everyone is different. I still have some restriction when I sit. So I’ve had to reinvent how I sit without having any issues.

I’m curious if the prolonged sitting issue is more related to the internal creation of the vaginal or more a part of dilation. The Minimal Depth Vaginoplasty (MDV) only caused me to have pain while sitting for about a month. Has anyone else here had a two stage GRS and noticed more sitting issues after the second surgery. From the information I received yesterday, I will be much less mobile after this next surgery and may have to sit for much longer.

For those of you who dilate, are you experiencing more sitting pain right after dilation? If you did, did it slowly stop over time?

I have so much fun to look forward to very soon?

Susan R?

Really good questions! I’m anxious to hear the answers. I had sigmoid colon vaginoplasty, so I suspect this has a lot to do with the pain. Good luck with your next surgery, Susan. I’m not sure if that’ll lead to more pain, but I hope not. As for the relation to dilation, my sense is that dilation helps to improve the situation, but I’m uncertain. In my case, the pain seems to be a result of swelled and delicate labia. Can’t wait to be normal again. My heart wants to dance, but my body won’t let me. Good luck!

• Forum Moderator

I think it had more to do with, "You are now sitting on a surgical site where the internals have been RADICALLY altered." I was OK sitting on the edges of things and with a pillow, but it was super uncomfortable for about six weeks.

Hugs!

12 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

I think it had more to do with, "You are now sitting on a surgical site where the internals have been RADICALLY altered." I was OK sitting on the edges of things and with a pillow, but it was super uncomfortable for about six weeks.

Hugs!

That’s a good (cringe-inducing!) way of putting, and I’m sure you’re right. However, there seems to be a wide range for recovery times. I’m at eight weeks and can’t even think about sitting. Some lucky people seem to recover in a month; others, over a year. Six weeks is pretty good, you lucky girl!

• Forum Moderator
14 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

I was OK sitting on the edges of things

LOL, This was my solution for awhile after discontinuing use my donut. I’d always sit on the edge until I got used to the mild discomfort of sitting on a surface without the pillow.

• 1 month later...

I will say that before my revision it felt like everything bothered me, sitting/standing/walking/bending. 

Now since my revision I am much more mobile and far less discomfort. I don't have any issues after dilation like I was. I am finally going to start going up in dilator size. The stretch (I had the inversion method) is real. My GYN has given my a script for lidocaine/prilocaine cream to use on my dilator and it has helped some with that intense feeling. I started back seeing my Pelvic Floor therapist yesterday and she is an angel to me. This is definitely a huge life changing surgery in so many ways. I wish we could get more perspective from others on their experiences after surgery, I feel like some individuals don't share their story for various reasons.

Hi, Kylie. Thanks for sharing. It’s now a few months after my surgery, and even though I don’t feel any pain, I’m far from comfortable and don’t like the looks of things down there. So I’m already thinking of revision surgery. However, I don’t really now what that would entail. Is it mainly just reshaping? Surely, it’s not as expensive as the original surgery? My biggest problem is excessive urination and  some leakage. I think I might have a swollen prostate, but I’ll need to go to the doctor soon. Glad to know you are doing much better! Hope things continue to improve!

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Kasumi63 said:

Hi, Kylie. Thanks for sharing. It’s now a few months after my surgery, and even though I don’t feel any pain, I’m far from comfortable and don’t like the looks of things down there. So I’m already thinking of revision surgery. However, I don’t really now what that would entail. Is it mainly just reshaping? Surely, it’s not as expensive as the original surgery? My biggest problem is excessive urination and  some leakage. I think I might have a swollen prostate, but I’ll need to go to the doctor soon. Glad to know you are doing much better! Hope things continue to improve!

My surgeon is doing my revision pro-bono. I just have to pay the hospital costs. I really don't like the look of things down there either.

As for leakage... Kegel exercises. Absolutely get your prostate checked though. On the plus side, your doctor no longer has to take the "back-door."

Hugs!

I didn’t have any cosmetic revision done as I’m content with the aesthetics. My issue was internal; but since the revision it has improved. I had to pay my out of pocket max/deductible for my surgery. My surgeon didn’t charge - but it didn’t change the amount I needed to pay as the hospital still charged my insurance. Which in the end wasn’t a big deal. I guess if I wanted a revision I should take advantage of already meeting my out of pocket for the year.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:22 PM, Jackie C. said:

As for leakage... Kegel exercises.

I know there’s a lot online, maybe too much. I’m paging through stuff, but it’s hard to figure out how best to do them. Do you have a reliable, easy-to-understand link on how to do Kegel exercises, Jackie?

• Forum Moderator

Hrm... I use a weight kit. The easiest way to think about it is to... oh, I know. Insert one finger and squeeze it using your pelvic floor muscles. Hold for 3-5 second and repeat. Your legs aren't involved, it's all pelvic floor. As you get better at it, increase the duration of the hold. That'll strengthen the muscles that keep your urine where it belongs.

Hugs!

I see a pelvic floor therapist - I’ve learned so much about my pelvic floor and gaining control of my muscles better. She focuses primarily on exercises other than kegels (mainly yoga) to have control of bladder and bowel function after GCS. She targets the male to female population mainly. I strongly recommend someone like her! 

12 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Insert one finger and squeeze it using your pelvic floor muscles. Hold for 3-5 second and repeat.

Oh, my! Is that how it’s done?! I think I’d do better with a cooperative partner! ?

Speaking of which….  Not that I have any prospects, but I’m kind of scared of actually being with anyone at this point. Dilation has gone pretty well, but… how do I put this delicately?  … it takes quite a few minutes to get all the way in there, and moving in and out isn’t particularly easy either. When doing dilation, I assume that most people just hold it there, which works fine for me, but that’s not how it is in real life, is it?  The idea that I’ll never have a sexual relationship again is very scary. Anyone willing to share on this issue? I’m sincerely worried, even if it’s not a pressing (no pun intended!) issue.

• Forum Moderator

Ok, so posting as someone who is GAY AS HECK so take whatever I say with the idea that I'm unlikely to be penetrated by anything that didn't come from the store.

(1) Dilate before intercourse. Make it part of the foreplay, but you need to be loose and relaxed.

(2) Use plenty of lube. There is always time for lube.

(3) You're not as stretchy as a cis-woman. It's sad, but there it is. Try to figure out if the guy is an, ahem, "good fit" before you get into the bedroom. You know which dilator feels the best. If he's thicker than that, there's going to be a problem and you're not going to have a good time.

(4) There are more ways to please each other than P in V sex.

(5) Sex is about physical intimacy and enjoying each other. Relax and figure out what the two of you can do that you both like. If whatever he wants to do is painful, shut it down. That goes both ways obviously, but guys are easier to operate than women.

(6) Be aware of your body and listen to it. It's been through a lot recently, but it will let you know what it needs. You'll just need to work it out together.

Hugs!

Thanks. That all makes a lot of sense. I’m anxious to go on a trial run, but that means less likely to have an understanding partner. In the meantime, I’ll try to get on better terms with my blue dilator.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 155 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Penrose-Pauling
    • Ivy
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

BeautifulMistake
    Newest Member
    BeautifulMistake

1. Alik222
      Alik222
      (24 years old)
    2. AvaWill
      AvaWill
      (37 years old)
    3. Drewies
      Drewies
      (50 years old)
    4. JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      (28 years old)
    5. jgram22
      jgram22
      (37 years old)
    • MaeBe
    • Abigail Genevieve
      The tornado called Taylor ripped through Bob's apartment. After a trip to a laundromat, two trips to grocery stores for cleaning supplies and what Taylor opined were Basic Staples, everything was scrubbed within an inch of its life.  A new dish  drainer with a new hand towel and dish cloth were by the side of the scrubbed out sink; motorcycle parts were in a box under the newly made bed.  Floor, shower, toilet, sink had been hit in the bathroom and new towels hung there the way Taylor liked them. "I don't recognize the place/" "So move out." Taylor was sitting on one of the new kitchen chairs.  There were four of them around the little wooden table.  In the middle was a flower arrangement.  Bob had made his last trip to the dumpster.  Not a pizza box remained. A row of card board boxes with books had been replaced by shelves full of neatly arranged books. "Look at this." "I am not going to do this all the time.  You clean your own place from now on. I am bushed." "Many thanks, babe." "No problem, Big Guy." "Hey, I wanted to talk to you about exercise.  Karate in particular."  He pronounced it ka-ra-tay. "I am a second Dan black belt and there is a certain obligation there to teach other people." "Kara-tay? I don't know." "A friend of mine runs a dojo here and needs my help. He talked to me already.  Tuesday and Thursday night and Saturday mornings." "Oh.  So you will be there then." She looked disappointed. "I'm hoping you will be there." "Sounds dangerous.  But I could use the exercise." "And self-defense would be good. It might help." "It might. Huh.  Saturday morning?" "8 AM I need to be there. Classes run until noon. I don't need to be there the whole time." "Is there an intro class or anything?" "Yes. 10 to 11." "How about if I try that."  She was not very enthusiastic.  Punches and kicks and stuff.   Saturday morning they arrived together.  She wanted to watch the Green Belt class that met then just to see what she was in for. Sensei Mark came to the front of the room, before the big American and Japanese flags. Between them was a picture.  "I am honored to introduce to you Sensei Bob.  He is a second Dan black belt.  He has actually beaten me in tournaments.  I have known him through tournaments.  You will listen to him as you listen to me.   Sensei Bob, take the class. The two sensei bowed to each other.  Sensei Bob pointed out that Sensei Mark had beaten him, as well. Taylor was sort of standing against the back wall, scrunched up, a mouse in her crisp new beltless gi.  Her t-shirt was off white underneath it and she was hoping no one would notice. "I am Sensei Mark. You are Taylor." "Yes, sensei!" she stood at attention and shouted it. He laughed.  "This is not Cobra Kai and we are not in a Karate Kind movie.  You do that here only between bows.  Bob tells me you are a complete beginner." "That is an understatement." "Here, let me fix your gi."  She had it on a little incorrectly.  She drew back. "What's the matter?" "I am pretty touchy." "Okay.  Untie the straps in front and tie them the other way, like mine." "I don't have a belt." "There. That is right. You will get a belt after three months and passing tests on kata, kumite and karate knowledge." "I don't know what that is." "And we touch a lot here.  Not romantically. You see how Sensei Bob is going around and adjusting people's stances and arm locations." "Yes, I see that." No enthusiasm. "You are Sensei Bob's girl, right?" "Yes.  What is important to him is important to me, so here I am."  He wished her well and told her to go see Margie, who handled registration at the little table. "Hi, I heard about you." Margie began. "What does that mean?" "It means we treat everyone here with respect.  That was the wrong way to start." "I'll say. Try again." "Good morning. How can I help you?" "I want to register for the beginner class." "You are Taylor, right?" "Right." "Sensei Bob paid for your lesson today." He would. She gave name, address, age, height, weight, and they came to gender. Margie asked it twice. "Put down female." "The only other choice is male." "Then that is it." "Earlier I was thinking about tournaments, which are big here. The rules are that boys fight boys and girls fight girls - there are Men's and Women's Divisions.  I know you look like a woman, but they go by the birth certificate." This was awkward.  Really awkward.  Down at the other end of the room they were moving in unison when Bob said HAI!, turning, punching, kicking, etc. "I don't plan to go to tournaments.  One step at a time, shall we?" "Okay.  And I meant it when I said respect.  We bow to each other.  You will see. As a sign of honoring other people." Margie bowed slightly, sitting down.  Taylor returned the bow and smiled. The class moved into sparring, breaking into twos and practicing moves against each other.  Bob was moving among the pairs, adjusting positions of hands, hips, feet.  Taylor was unsure about someone touching her like that, her hips particularly.    The green belt class ended as new students came in for the beginners' class. Down at the other end the brown belt class began.  The room was large enough you could do two classes at the same time.   The other beginners, nervous, lined up at Margie's table.  People got into gis, the men in their big area and only woman in the little restroom that was for them.   Sensei Mark greeted them and showed them where to stand: on the little x's on the floor. He explained the School Code.  They would recite it at the beginning of class and they needed to memorize it for the white belt test, at which time they would, of course, receive a white belt. He explained some terms.    They warmed up with some basic, easy stretches.   They learned a kata called Taikyoku Shodan, involving blocks, punches and some movements. This was not bad.   She was now paired off with Judy.  Things were going well and this was not too bad. Judy was sixty years old and had been told to exercise by her doctor.  Taylor said her boyfriend was teaching the other class, which was impressive, and he wanted her involved.   "You remember the gedan barai - downward block?"  They did. Everyone showed him and he went around and made sure everyone had it down. "And the lunge punch?"  They did. "Now we are going to put them together. One of you will punch and the other block it. Okay?"   Taylor squared off against Judy.  Her heart was pounding.  She practiced her gedan barai as Judy practiced her lower lunge punch.  Then they faced each other. "Okay, first partner, lunge punch.  Second partner, lower block.  Slowly.  Go!" Taylor saw the punch coming at her, but instead of blocking it her eyes welled up with tears and she dropped to the floor, weeping uncontrollably. "Oh God, Oh, God, Oh God, make it stop, make it stop" she shouted to parties unseen. Fetal position, rocking back and forth. Crying hysterically. "I didn't go near her," Judy said, bewildered. "Taylor?"  this was Sensei Bob.  Both classes had stopped and were looking at her. She kept crying. "I am here, "Bob told her, not touching.  "Oh Bob you need a wife who can be a real woman to you. I am making you into a monk or something." And she continued crying at full volume. "You need someone better than me, someone who can give you kids." Everyone could hear this.  They were turning away, trying to pretend they could not hear this. "I need to get her out of here and take her." Bob said, and he and Mark bowed to each other. He scooped her up and she bawled into his shoulder.  She clung to him.  First hug ever. Death grip, more like it. "Judy, would you get her things?" "I did nothing," Judy said, and moved towards the restroom, stunned.  "Nothing." "I know what she was wearing," Margie said, and got them. "I've got a gym bag. It 's red and it says Roosters on it. Can you get it? Mark got it.  He accompanied them to the car.  Taylor was non-stop crying deeply, clinging to him for dear life. Mark unlocked the car and together they managed to pry Taylor off of him, even though it took both of them to do it.  She was in the car seat and they managed to buckle her in it. "I am going to take you to your apartment," he said. "No. Emergency room," she said. "Maybe the psych ward."  He didn't doubt it. She calmed down in a few minutes on the way. "Well, that was embarrassing." "Everyone remembers their first day of karate class." "Bob, what I love about you is your sense of humor." "I love everything about you." "Even this?" "Yes. Even this." She managed to walk into the ER.  They were both still in gis. "Karate accident?" "No. I am Taylor and I am a nut. I wear a gi all the time. I make my boyfriend wear one, too." "She had a triggered event.  She's had some difficult times." "I see. Do you you know are bleeding?" "No."  Her crotch was wet with blood and the blood was seeping down both legs. She was wheeled away. "Sir, please wait here." He did.  He had no legal right to see her right now. After a while a nurse came out and said he could come on  back. There she was in a hospital gown.  "Seems like old times." "yeah.  We gotta stop meeting like this." The nurse buzzed around and left them. "They are running tests." "I bet they are." "I got an MRI. On a Saturday morning, too."  First ever. "You rate.  But why?" "They figure some of the old scar tissue - you know, from the- from the past - ripped open and they need to see what is going on." "We know what is going on,"said a doctor, stepping in. He looked at her. "I am Doctor Michaels.  They called me in.  I just happened to be in the building and they wanted me to see this and take the case.  My specialty is Disorders of Sexual Development. But what I am seeing is little in the way of disorder.  Look at this." They looked at the image. "This is a perfectly ordinary uterus." "Uterus?" "Yes, your uterus." "What?" "That is not all.  This is a cervix, and this is a vagina." "It's blocked up." "Yes.  It looks like you had surgery to do exactly that when you were an infant.  They used to do that." "This is me?" "You." "Really?" "I imagine this takes some getting used to. "Can it be undone?" "Absolutely. I mean, I cannot guarantee it, but it is more than likely. I would like to run some tests." "And the bleeding?" "It looks like the hormones you have been taking have kicked of a regular monthly cycle. Then you did a whole bunch of exercise.  Not surprising." "What?" "I want you to come to my office next week for follow-up.  Have you ever had a genetic test of any sort?" "No." "Well, your testes - one looks at first glance more like an ovary." "Ovary. Can I have kids?" "Too soon to tell.  You look happy." She did.  "Bob, you look stunned." "I am." "Given what happened earlier today we want to keep you overnight for observation.  I understand you are a trauma victim and something triggered it." "I got a punch thrown at me in kara-tay class, is all. I am a wimp." "Well, I will let you two talk for a minute and they will come and get you shortly.  No bad news here." "They are coming to take me away, hah-hah, they are coming to take me away," Taylor chanted. "Bob, I am not done with kara-tay.  I want to at least finish a first class. I mean, you paid for it and I want you to get your money's worth." "I think I got that." "Kiss me, you fool,"  she said, and he did, with energy.        
    • April Marie
      These arrived in yesterday's mail. I'm out working in the yard today so just old clothes. I'm looking forward to wearing this t-shirt dress when the weather warms up a bit more.  
    • missyjo
      Ashley I've known busty girls who wore b nice bras tl work n such then like a sift sports bra to lounge or sleep in hugs
    • missyjo
      your nails b hair came wonderful  congratulations  enjoy
    • Willow
      The one thing about this position, if you want more hours just wait and be flexible.  I’m now working until 7:30 pm instead of 4:30.  
    • Ashley0616
      I hope your head cold goes away soon! Sorry you have to cut grass with that.   Love the new t-shirt   I love that one.    What Jeep would you want to get? That is awesome about your wife getting better!
    • Ashley0616
      Welcome Mattie! I would recommend the first step is finding a gender therapist and see if you are or aren't. Then one of the biggest steps if you are do you want to start hormone replacement therapy. The decision should be thought long and hard. There are irreversible effects. Looking forward to your next post! Take care!
    • Ashley0616
      Congratulations on being able to pick up a cancellation! I hope to hear more updates about your transition. 
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      Getting a dog maybe next month
    • Ashley0616
      Spending time with my kids and eventually will be adopting a dog next month. 
    • KymmieL
      Well every girl needs a play toy. I just happen to have 7 of them.   My hoses finally came in. have the passenger front installed. Now trying to figure out how to do the drivers side when the tire is still on and there is no room to do it.  I'll figure sumthin out.  I is smrt.   Well have the wife home with me. She wound up falling back asleep after turning her alarm off. I woke her up at 6:20. She is due to work at 6. She decided to just call in.       MaeBe that is what this thread was started for. A chat place to share our days and thoughts for the day.   Hugs   Kymmie
    • Ashley0616
      simplicity:  : the state of being simple, uncomplicated, or uncompounded : lack of subtlety or penetration : INNOCENCE, NAIVETÉ : FOLLY, SILLINESS : freedom from pretense or guile : CANDOR : directness of expression : CLARITY : restraint in ornamentation : AUSTERITY
    • MaeBe
      @Willow, it's great to hear about your wife's progress! It's also fun to hear about day-to-day stuff, like work. It's nice to think of this thread as a kind of morning chit chat place to go, like if we had a big table at The Daily Grind and were just listening and sharing over our morning brews.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.