• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Masculine Social Behavior

Coconuts

So I don't think that title made any sense, I'm really new to all this. I get really anxious about passing and something that brings me a lot of anxiety is hanging out with or talking with other guys. I had one or two guy friends growing up so I feel a lot of my little habits give me away. And I could also be overthinking this but for example, girls tend to take a buddy to the bathroom. I have no idea why, it just always was that way. So obviously, buddying up to go to the bathroom would be a little strange to other guys but what about just saying you're headed to the bathroom. This is where the overthinking comes into play. Do guys just get up and go without saying anything? Do they say "I'll be right back, I need to use the bathroom"? Are they oddly specific with it?

Basically I want to know if there are little habits men have when socializing that I'm unaware of because all my life I've been raised a girl surrounded by girls.

• Forum Moderator

Welcome :)

The title made good sense to me so no problems!

I think (looking from the opposite direction) that I have observed how women behave for years so see what you are saying well. It is a feminine trait. In a way men perhap see less so maybe that is one thing to learn - ie to seem to be less observant? I say that as you will need to keep your wits about you and sense things, at least until you are relaxed and more confident. That said, the feminine trait of observation is a good one to keep these days. But make it less obvious?

From my experience men tend to mention when they are going although not usually as the formal "I'll be right back, I need to use the bathroom". It's more like - "I need the loo!" or "That coffee's gone straight through me", and just get up and go. Formaility like that is more for the visit to the in-laws. A 'just get up and go' happens more often in a noisy situation or if in a larger mixed crowd when such a statement may not be so ideal. It depends a bit on actual company but men do sometimes go at the same time as a friend too but only usually when both need to go, not just with their buddy for company (in that case he will usually wait outside, not go in). That is except maybe when discussing a girl, in a not disimilar way to women when they like to get private to discuss such things. I think that with a guy their sexuality is a sensitive thing so intimacy of any sort is a risky area. It does occur with really close friendship and trust but you will know someone well before then and know the boundaries. Men will tend to use slang terms far more but these do depend on company so what goes in your situation will probably differ to those here. It sometimes depends quite a bit on race and culture too. These days hugs between guys are far more common here but years ago it would have been an invitation to a brawl.

I suppose one point to make is that you should not appear too sensitive and just relax. Guys come in many forms but it is mainly the nervous ones who attract attention. The more confident you are the better.

Tracy

Hi @Coconuts BRB works as a statement for over 90% of social situations.

Any more detail than that will depend entirely on who you are out with and their average ages.

Honestly there are more unwritten social rules for inside the loo than out, but unless someone is with close friends/drunk then the no talking, no looking, no closeness if it can be avoided thing is actually true.

Disgustingly there are still plenty of guys that don't wash their hands, no one says anything just try not to touch the door after them.

Lots of guys only use the stalls, but you do not want to come out to the mirrors at the same times as the person who was in the one next to you. 

Here is a lighthearted but still pretty accurate video link on how men behave.

https://youtu.be/cr0ClHQC_pY

• Forum Moderator
23 hours ago, DeeDee said:

BRB works as a statement for over 90% of social situations.

This is probably one of the times where age and culture comes into it as I had to look it up. When I found what the abreviation was for I understood and have heard it in the long form. It works as you say but it's not one I have commonly heard here. It would be acceptable though but, especially in older company, the unabreviated form may be better. Actually 'Back in a minute' is perhaps more regionally common here. As DeeDee says, age is relevant. Abreviations may be common among the younger population but, particularly with the older, may confuse and even attract attention.

It is interesting to read though. I wonder if my unease about bathroom visits (or even being in predominant male company) actually had a lot to do with my female side and behaviour. Not being gay (particularly) does make one avoid closeness in the bathroom but the main aspect I remember was more avoiding anyone looking dangerous than anything else. Things like converging when needing to use the mirrors (/ wash facilities) was more of an irritation about having to queue rather than anything else but it's true that the more likely silence in men's facilities likely gives a more menacing atmospere.

A good video DeeDee. The first part about the selection of urinal, I found particularly true. A point to note particularly when using the 'long trough' type as men will often almost tuck themselves into an end rather than stand perpendicular. Some of the later ones, I notice, although generally very true as taboos (and even a bit silly), I have commonly seen when someone is drunk so, to me, make good indicators of that. Some of the things are perhaps more a case of who and where. For instance the dropping (or generally just lowering not dropping) of pants to pee at the urinal is not unknown with the advent of clothing like unisex stretch jeans (or leggings) with no or short zipper are more common these days as menswear has changed. Not really applicable in the case of most pre-op  FTM though, but I mention it as showing how things do change.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Coconuts.  As to your questions i remember so many variations depending on social company and pressures.  When i was in construction semi dirty bro outright filthy statements were made.  In polite company a "be right back" was just fine.  

Perhaps the best thing to to try to relax and not worry.  It seems when the need presses the words will come to you.

Fitting in isn't as important as finding relief.?

Hugs,

Charlize

You might try "Gonna see a man about a horse".. ? (you might want to Google that)

Hi @Coconuts!  nice to meet you and Welcome!
Even as AMAB I have always found male restroom habits a bit bizarre.  I think most men don't want to purposely share bathroom/urinal time together.  So any notification is almost like a warning .. "please don't follow me into the restroom".
Urinal etiquette is definite must.  If in doubt just use the stall (extra grunting encouraged).

If you are in there with an acquaintance then idle chit chat is the norm.  But if its just a stranger standing next to you, no eye contact, look straight down or at the wall, get in, finish your bizness, and get out. 

I'm just being a bit cheeky, but just be yourself.  That's all you really need to know ?

• Forum Moderator

Honestly, guys can go into excruciating detail about what they're about to be up to in the bathroom. It's acceptable to come right out and say, "Woah, that Taco Bell went right through me, don't wait up," before sprinting to the bathroom. Other options can include, "I have to take a wicked piss," or, "Jesus I need to go take a dump." Some guys will even give you a play-by-play when they come back.

The point being that men aren't afraid to be gross and it's socially acceptable to share every detail when you're surrounded by other men. This behavior is toned down a little in mixed company, but among guys it's anything goes.

Hugs!

On 4/1/2021 at 7:25 AM, Charlize said:

When i was in construction semi dirty bro outright filthy statements were made.

Yea, but that's to deflect or avoid any type of intimacy and affirm that you are not gay (or are too tough to mess with).  Basically avoid any hint of any type of intimacy or interest or conversation.   Any conversation should be minimal and factual and only if necessary.  Like, if someone were bleeding out, you could say, "Poor sod, did anybody call an ambulance?"  Otherwise, let it go.  If it's someone from your building who you see in the hall twice a week, then "Hey" and a nod might be OK.  Don't strike up a conversation in the restroom unless it's someone you know well and you're just continuing a work conversation as if you were standing in the office, totally ignoring the fact that you are in the restroom having a conversation.

re: what jackie was saying above -- my take is the gross comments are about avoiding any kind of real intimacy -- intimacy with other men is what is verboten, restroom is forced physical intimacy -- You figure out the rest.

--Grace--

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 119 Guests (See full list)

• Susie
    • KathyLauren
    • Thea
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Quillian
    Newest Member
    Quillian

1. 777fleetleader777
      777fleetleader777
      (21 years old)
    2. ArinHallm3
      ArinHallm3
      (18 years old)
    3. ITakMyTime
      ITakMyTime
      (70 years old)
    4. Jess31
      Jess31
      (40 years old)
    5. Natalie71645
      Natalie71645
      (39 years old)
    • April Marie
      What an amazing life you've shared with your wife. I can understand the trepidation you had at telling her at that point in your relationship but it certainly saved all of the guilt, the questioning and the secrecy that would have filled your lives had you not.   I'm on the other end of the spectrum having denied and buried my truth for decades and fast approaching 50 years of marriage when the dysphoria and depression finally came to critical mass and I unloaded it all on a New Year's Day morning. As you might imagine, it led to a lot of questions, of questioning everything, of anger and hurt on my wife's part. Guilt, embarrassment, fear...and anything else you can imagine on my part.   Thankfully, our love for each other has always been the foundation of our relationship and, ultimately, we both agreed that staying together was what we both wanted. It was a tough year but, now into the 2d since my coming out, we've hit our stride and are exploring this new norm in our life.   I do so love your blog.
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Will be at my place
    • Vidanjali
      Congratulations on your new family member!
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I thought I would try my version of this. Changes in bold.   I am Transgender.  Sometimes it is remote, sometimes close. Sometimes I am euphoric, sometimes depressed. It is something I cannot get away from and cannot welcome enough. I see some things both ways that neither men as men see or women as women see.  I can be gentle and compassionate and hard as nails. I was born with male genitals but a female heart   I have my heart.  Whatever it is. When I look at a female, I wish I looked like her  Depends on the woman.  When I look at a male, I wish I did not look like him   Ditto. I envy female movements, softness, behaviors, appearances, fashion...EVERYTHING Female Depends. Sometimes I get angry at them because women spend time and energy in ways men don't.  It is not necessarily bad.  I could do without the gossip. Not all women gossip.  Excessive focus on fashion is something I find annoying. And expensive. I tolerate all things male out of social obligation...not because I feel like a man or because it makes me happy....but because that's what I was forced to believe was my only choice....beginning in early childhood. Sometimes it is helpful to put on the Iron Man suit and act accordingly.  But I have seen some tough women. When I look at myself in the mirror in only bra and panties...I can see my nude female body...and it makes me smile and feel amazing and warm inside....yet sad because that is not my reality. I could go either way, mostly. Really.  In tests in the last two years technicians have gone really quiet when they see how little body and leg hair I have.  I looked at myself this morning.  Remove a few clues and a girl is standing there. When I look at myself in the mirror in only boxers...I can see my nude male body and it saddens me deeply and makes me feel sick and depressed...and at times...even ashamed....Because this IS my reality. At this point I am not going to do that. In the mood I am in I might break the mirror. My true gender does not influence my sexual interests or preferences...or change who I am....in any form or fashion. Gender identity is in no way connected to anything sexually related on any level.  Not sure I want to make that statement so categorically. Life as a male leaves me with a feeling that something is off...that something is missing...that something is not as it should have been.   Well put. The idea of having to continue living as a male...as someone I am not...for the rest of my life...even if its only part time...causes great sadness and anxiety within myself. I've got priorities beyond this that this must fit into. The idea of living as the girl I am and always have been on a full time basis...regardless of where I am, what I am doing or who I am around...brings me great joy, happiness and a sense of peace within myself.  Would be neat. Looking like and living as a girl makes me smile.   Would be neat.  There are downsides.  Looking like and living as a guy makes me sad.   I have had lots of practice accepting this. I am Transgender....I am a girl
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      Good listener, respect them, and show sympathy/empathy, even just being there
    • Ashley0616
      Getting dog today he's potty trained
    • Sally Stone
      Think positively, Ashley.  I have no doubt you'll find your king or queen at some point.   Hugs,   Sally
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Bob had the night off from teaching kara-tay and they planned to spend a lot of it at Cabaret.   Once in, Taylor waited for her man to park and looked around.  There was a sign "Mary, Paul and Peter LIVE tonight" and, sure enough, three microphones were standing in the open area.  A new hostess came up to her. "Are you alone?" "Oh, no.  He's coming." Taylor was led to a table. Bob was there in a minute and managed to get in there and seat her.  She smiled. "The act will be along in a few minutes. And Congratulations! I am SO EXCITED!!" Taylor responded to his look. "I got promoted." "To what?" "Head of Marketing." "You're kidding." "Nope.  It seems the Board finally woke up to the fact that the China cash cow may come to an end and they need to do something. Did you know that the VPs on up all get over a million dollars in compensation without really doing anything?" "No." "I am supposed to figure out how to re-energize over thirty acres of factory that have laid idle for forty years or more." "Why don't they do it?" She whispered,"the head of production is the son of the previous head of production. He has never produced anything."  She explained that everything was made in China and exported back to the US and sold under different brand names. "How am I going to find someone?" He smiled. "Congratulations. Sounds like a problem.  Hey, today we were talking about problems at our Philly plant.  One, it was built before World War 2. Second the city and state are tightening regulations and the tax structure is adverse.  Third, we get protestors every day, some of whom break into the factory.  People are talking about relocating." "We are forty miles from an interstate." "That is a plus.  Makes it harder for protestors to find us if we moved here." "You are really thinking that?" "I am, right now. I can't speak for the company.  I know there is a rail line." "Spur, actually, with several sidings.  The buildings are in good shape." "Do you have about five acres we could look at? How about if I take some pictures and send them off?" "Great.  And protestors would not be tolerated in Millville.  The factory area once upon a time was the main employer and people are very protective." Two weeks later she was in Philadelphia with Gibson and a few others.  The deal was signed and by end of summer ten acres, with an option on another ten, were being upgraded and equipment was coming in by rail. Not five, but ten.  She got a $20,000 bonus out of the blue.  The company was flush with Chinese cash that they didn't know what to do with. She was developing plans. But back to dinner.  "Did I tell you what they are paying me?" "No." She told him. "That is more than I am making." "You don't sound happy." "It takes some getting used to.  You are Management and Croesus combined." "Yeah. Is this a problem?" "No.  As I said, it takes some getting used to."  The musicians arrived and were introduced: three local teenagers in Peter Paul and Mary clothing and wigs like it was the 60s.  They began singing. "They are good," she said. "They are lip-synching." "They are good at lip-synching." They listened for a while. "Work is going to be intense for a while." "I'll bet." "I won't be able to talk to you about some of it." "I bet." They had a good evening.   The high point for Bob was that she let him put his hand on hers.  The high point for her was Bob did not seem threatened by her now being Management and making more than he did with a Masters. She didn't tell him she was likely to be in on the distribution of money the Chinese sent every year to keep them fat and happy.  But she had to finish up that report, so the evening ended early.  He drove her home, checked her apartment for people and again walked away hearing her lock the door three times.  She didn't say it, but he knew she was going to have a long talk with her therapist as well.   Her therapist was a night owl.  
    • Ashley0616
      envy: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage obsolete : MALICE : an object of envious notice or feeling
    • MaeBe
      I sit back and think, am I this person? I definitely argue, but with the willingness to alter my opinion if I find that my information is lacking. So, no? I also don't go pointing fingers in faces like a crazed person, usually I am the one to argue with that kind of person; typically because they can't see past emotion and have little concern for actual facts. Sometimes it's sport that I do this (ENTP, baby!), but usually it comes from a place of trying to inform and shift opinion--or at least get them to actually obtain facts or get their facts from objective sources.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • MaeBe
      How exciting! Have a glorious evening!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.