• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Have you ever heard of acceptance commitment therapy introduced by Steven Hayes PhD ? 

My therapist has introduced it to me because I have blocked my emotions nearly all my life to numb the pain. It is the first real break through for me in 30 years of working with various other therapists.

So what does this involve?  I have never heard of this before?  

• Forum Moderator

There are some good YouTube videos. Look for Steven Hayes TED talks.

It is a methodology to accept pains of the past and to realize thoughts come all the time but committing to letting them be there but not dominating you.

I find it fascinating :)  All three of my counsellors claim to follow a "Humanist" approach and steered me away from Mindfullness, but I would say that practicing Mindfullness is what's kept me going all these years. Usually, I'll take the dog for a long walk or spend a few hours in my garage rebuilding engines. The practice of living in the here and now, no outside influences and dealing with what comes along, one step at a time. But I've never examined my past. That's some bad stuff. May I ask what format you take?  

• Forum Moderator

I have blocked my emotions and pain for so long I'm not sure what emotions feel like - with ACT I am learning with each blockage it compounds the problem. ACT has you explore your issues and realize you don't need to fight them but accept that they are going to be there but don't let them dominate you. This is the route I'm taking and working through "Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life" by Steven C. Hayes, Ph.d. and The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. BOTH are very enlightening and right on the mark in my case. I'd ask your therapists what they think or read these works (you can get at Amazon or used) and make your own mind up whether they help you. I think it's worth the journey to find out if it helps. It is for me and I feel more at peace daily. A godsend for me.