• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Survey Study of Surgeons' Experience with Regret and/or Reversal of Gender-Confirmation Surgeries

VickySGV

I asked my endocrinologist about this too. He's been treating trans people for over 20 years. He has had maybe a few go off HRT/de-transition that he knows of.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Only 0.28% (just over a quarter of One percent) rate of de-Transitioning.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6212091/

Priceless information to keep. I had a ex g/f tell me she read an article from a well known detransitioner who I had heard about a year or so ago. She made it sound like the detransition rate was much higher with nothing to back the claim. I wish I had had this info handy then. I will be bookmarking this and passing it on if ever sideswiped like that again.

Thanks,

Susan R?

This is definitely good information. I have been hit with this myself. I think the cis-world thinks there are very few surgeries being done each year and so they think regret is common. So much misinformation and so little time!

Hugs,

Mike

19 hours ago, Confused1 said:

This is definitely good information. I have been hit with this myself. I think the cis-world thinks there are very few surgeries being done each year and so they think regret is common. So much misinformation and so little time!

Hugs,

Mike

"Regret after gender-affirming surgery is an exceedingly rare event. Reasons for regret or de-transition are diverse, ranging from change in gender identity to societal and relationship pressures to post-surgical pain. It is not uncommon for de-transition to be associated with surgical complications. Guidelines need to be developed to assist surgeons, patients, and payers in managing these rare events."

— Conclusion, The de-Transitioning study.