• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fun Friday Fact - hope you respond weekly to give us all a smile

Heather Shay

Well, maybe I'll add something to the day's theme of the Dewey decimal system.

Apparently, the system has been repeatedly revised for bias.  For example, the original version placed books related to homosexuality in the categories of "mental derangement" and "abnormal psychology.".  Today they have been more appropriately placed in the 300's area for sex and relationships. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• miz miranda

• Ivy

• Davie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

"Bruce Wayne probably helps more people by being a billionaire philanthropist than he does by being Batman."

@Heather ShayBruce probably stopped when the tax deductions were reduced

Does Superman cause cancer with his X-ray vision?

Aqua man identifies as a mermaid

Wonder woman is repatative

24 minutes ago, miz miranda said:

@Heather ShayBruce probably stopped when the tax deductions were reduced

Does Superman cause cancer with his X-ray vision?

Aqua man identifies as a mermaid

Wonder woman is repatative

The Invisible Man is retired and living here in Central Florida. He was recently arrested for Failure To Appear. He made up some story, but the judge saw right through it. Now he's sitting in jail...they think.

• Forum Moderator

Music Affects Your Perception of the World

a globe and a map Shutterstock

A 2011 study conducted at the University of Groningen showed that music not only affects mood, but it has an even more significant effect on perception. Subjects who were tested were influenced by the music they heard, based on what they saw; participants were asked to listen to music and identify corresponding smiley faces. Smiley faces that matched the music were identified much more accurately. And even when no smiley face was shown, the subjects thought they recognized a happy face when listening to happy music, and a sad face when listening to sad music.

Musical Education Leads to Better Exam Scores. Studying music is an actual workout for your brain. Learning an instrument has been proven to help students in myriad ways from mastery of memorization, pattern recognition and emotional development. Students who have experience with music performance or taking music appreciation courses score higher on the SAT(Scholastic Aptitude Test). A report indicated that they score, on average, 63 points higher on verbal and 44 points higher on math.

Music Helps Plants Grow Faster. According to a study by scientists from South Korea, plants grow at a faster pace when they are played classical music. Using 14 different pieces of music, the scientists played music to a rice field and studied the results.  Findings were that the music helped the crops grow and even suggested evidence that plants could “hear”.  We suggest practicing your instrument in your veggie garden!

While listening to a song, you get some chills, which is mostly caused by the brain releasing dopamine as you anticipate the peak of that song.

Monaco’s Military Orchestra has more soldiers than its Army. The Monaco’s Army has 82 soldiers while its Orchestra has 85 soldiers. 

2 minutes ago, miz miranda said:

Monaco’s Military Orchestra has more soldiers than its Army. The Monaco’s Army has 82 soldiers while its Orchestra has 85 soldiers. 

On Veterans; Day, it's interesting to know that Monaco has an army. 

1 hour ago, Marcie Jensen said:

On Veterans; Day, it's interesting to know that Monaco has an army. 

Interesting.  My county's defense force is way larger than Monaco's army.  We should be a micro nation. 😁 

• Forum Moderator

The first novel in the world was written in c. 1000 CE by Murasaki Shikibu, a Japanese woman.

Murasaki Shikibu
  • camera-icon
  • Photo Credit: Alchetron

Written in the early 11th century, The Tale of Genji is now a classic of Japanese literature. Author Murasaki Shikibu was a noblewoman and lady-in-waiting, who became a cultural innovator for her great work. The original manuscript was made in the orihon style of pasting several sheets of paper together and folding them in alternating directions. In the early 20th century, the book was first translated into modern Japanese, and has since been translated into dozens of languages. The book follows the life of Hikaru Genji, the son of an ancient emperor, and makes keen observations on court life and aristocratic society.

7 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

The first novel in the world was written in c. 1000 CE by Murasaki Shikibu, a Japanese woman.

Murasaki Shikibu

• camera-icon
  • Photo Credit: Alchetron

Written in the early 11th century, The Tale of Genji is now a classic of Japanese literature. Author Murasaki Shikibu was a noblewoman and lady-in-waiting, who became a cultural innovator for her great work. The original manuscript was made in the orihon style of pasting several sheets of paper together and folding them in alternating directions. In the early 20th century, the book was first translated into modern Japanese, and has since been translated into dozens of languages. The book follows the life of Hikaru Genji, the son of an ancient emperor, and makes keen observations on court life and aristocratic society.

I know this one. I'll have to brush up on my Japanese. Murasaki wrote The Diary of Lady Murasaki, a volume of poetry, and The Tale of Genji. Within a decade of its completion, Genji was distributed throughout the provinces; within a century it was recognized as a classic of Japanese literature and had become a subject of scholarly criticism. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M 

The world's youngest published author is Dorothy Straight, who wrote How The World Began at 4 years old in 1962.

There are more public libraries than McDonald's in America, with 16,766 public libraries compared to 14,157 McDonald's.

The longest ever book title consists of over 3,700 words and 26,000 characters.

The first book ever written on a typewriter was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

The world's oldest continually operating library was established in AD 565. It is housed in Saint Catherine's Monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai in Egypt, and has the second largest collection of ancient manuscripts after the Vatican City.

After following over 17,000 people in England, Scotland and Wales over 50 years, researchers at Edinburgh University proved that reading well at age seven was linked to better socio-economic status even 35 years on.

Reading proved 600% better at fighting stress than playing a video game.

Fox species are quite different from one another, and typically will not share territory.  Gray foxes and red foxes avoid each other, and have unique behaviors.  For example, Gray foxes can climb trees with their cat-like claws. 

GrayFox-Climbing_up_tree.jpg

The average adult spends more time on the toilet than they do exercising.

According to a 2017 study by British non-profit UKActive, adults spend an average of 3 hours and 9 minutes on the toilet each week, but only spend around 1  hour and 30 minutes being physically active during that same time span. Maybe this somewhat useless, but also motivating fact is what we needed to hear to get to the gym.

A "jiffy" is about one trillionth of a second.

You've probably said you'll be "back in a jiffy" at least a few times in your life. But what you might not realize is that you made a promise you couldn't keep. According to Dictionary.com, a "jiffy" is an actual unit of time—and a very short one at that. Sometime during the late 18th or early 19th centuries, scientist Gilbert Newton Lewis defined a jiffy as the amount of time it takes light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum, which is about 33.4 picoseconds or one trillionth of a second. That's a short (and pretty much useless) amount of time indeed!

Maryland tried to ban Randy Newman's song "Short People."

In 1977, Randy Newman sang, "Short people got no reason to live … Well, I don't want no short people … Round here." Although it's meant to be a satirical take on short-sighted people's intolerance and prejudice, the state of Maryland didn't take kindly to the tune. In 1978, delegate Isaiah Dixon Jr. tried to introduce legislation to make it illegal to play the song on the radio, proposing a $500 fine. However, his effort was unsuccessful; the assistant attorney general deemed that the move would be a violation of the First Amendment.

The chicken and the ostrich are the closest living relatives of the Tyrannosaurus rex.

While we used to think that dinosaurs were giant lizard-like creatures that roamed the earth, it's now widely accepted that dinosaurs have more in common with present-day birds than they do with oversized reptiles. Research out of Harvard University in 2008 confirmed that the Tyrannosaurus rex shared more of its genetic makeup with ostriches and chickens than with alligators and crocodiles.

• Forum Moderator
21 hours ago, miz miranda said:

In 1977, Randy Newman sang, "Short people got no reason to live …

Anyone that couldn't tell this was a parody wasn't thinking too much.  Its still a message we need to hear. 

Thats a beautiful photo of a Gray Fox!

• Forum Moderator

Creedence Clearwater Revival has the most No. 2 Billboard hits—without ever hitting No. 1.
Creedence Clearwater Revival Debut Album Cover Fantasy

John Fogerty's swamp rock band has the odd distinction of having seen more of its singles hit No. 2 on the charts, without ever hitting No. 1, than any other musical act. Between March 1969 and Oct. 1970, the band scored five No. 2 singles on the Billboard Top 100—"Proud Mary," "Bad Moon Rising," "Green River," "Travelin' Band," and "Lookin' Out My Back Door"—but never saw one of its songs get to the top spot. No other act has topped this dubious honor since.

CCR is one of my all time favorite bands and this is astounding! I'm surprised by this, especially when you factor in songs like Fortunate Song, Have you Ever Seen the Rain etc. 

• Forum Moderator

Sweden celebrates Christmas with a giant, straw Yule Goat.
Gavle Coat in Sweden at night MATS ASTRAND/TT/AFP via Getty Images

In Scandinavian countries, the Yule goat figures into the Christmas decor of many homes. In Norse mythology, the two goats pulled Thor's flying chariot the same way reindeer do for Santa's sleigh. On top of that, there's also a festive tale that focuses on an invisible Yule goat that checks in on holiday prep before the big day. That's why, in 1966, the Gävle Goat was created in an effort to draw shoppers to the Swedish city where it resides. Standing 42.6 feet high and seven meters in length, it also weighs a whopping 3.6 tons.

In Ukraine, spiders are considered symbols of good luck at Christmas.
christmas shaped christmas ornament Shutterstock

When you think about Christmas creatures, reindeer and polar bears probably jump to mind… but what about spiders? In Ukraine, families often add spider web ornaments to their trees as a nod to a lovely seasonal story about the critters once using their silky string to decorate the tree of a poor widow and her children.

The Christmas tree pickle is a tradition to keep eager kids calm on Christmas morning.
christmas pickle Shutterstock

According to Today, the Christmas pickle is more than just a common ornament, it's a tradition. As the quirky tradition goes, the first child to find the glass pickle hidden in the tree on Christmas morning either wins a prize or the privilege of opening the first gift. The goal? To keep kids from rushing through the process of opening presents, and instead take the time to enjoy each one.

You can recycle your Christmas tree by donating it to elephants.
christmas tree on top of a car Shutterstock

When the holidays are over and it's time to get rid of your Christmas tree, you could drag it to the curb to be picked up by garbage collectors or you could donate it to a zoo so that it can be fed to a hungry elephant. Zoos around the world, including The Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee, accept evergreens, which are enjoyed by the giant herbivores as a seasonal snack.

some strange Christmas Traditions

Italy: The Christmas Witch

In many cultures, Santa Claus is the person that travels around the world and delivers gifts to deserving young boys and girls on Christmas Eve. Kids are told to be good because Santa is watching them and will know if they behave! On Christmas morning, good kids are rewarded with gifts from this iconic figure.

But in Italy, there's someone else delivering gifts. Befana is the name of a witch in Italy who is said to travel around Italy on Epiphany Eve (January 5th) to deliver gifts to children all over the country. If the children were good all year, their socks are filled with candy and gifts. But if they were bad? They get nothing but coal.

Iceland: The Yule Cat

Animals are a big part of a lot of the mythology and traditions of many countries. In Iceland, there's a special Christmas tradition that involves a very special cat that roams the streets one time per year.

But this cat isn't the cute, friendly, four-legged friend that we might imagine roaming the streets of Iceland. According to myths and legends, the Yule Cat is a ferocious creature that wanders around during the winter time and eats anyone who hasn't gotten new clothes to wear on Christmas Eve.

Japan: Kentucky Fried Christmas

Many families have a tradition of getting together on holidays like Christmas to enjoy a meal together. Whether it's turkey, ham, or a secret family recipe, enjoying dinner together is a huge part of the holidays for many families. This is also true in Japan! Even though Christmas is celebrated a lot differently and has only started to be celebrated in the past few decades, it's still popular for a lot of people.

So, what's the special meal that people eat during Christmas in Japan? KFC! In the 1970s, KFC in Japan started advertising a special campaign during the winter called Kentucky for Christmas. During Christmas, KFC sells a special range of family dinners meant to help people celebrate the holiday together.

South Africa: Fried Caterpillars

There are some foods around the world that are slightly strange to people that don't live there. Some of them are surprisingly delicious once you give them a chance, but then there are others that we could never imagine trying.

In South Africa, there's one really unusual food that tends to be eaten during the Christmas season. It's fried, crispy, and they say it's delicious. What is it? Fried caterpillars! On Christmas Day, people in South Africa snack on deep-fried caterpillars.