• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fun Friday Fact - hope you respond weekly to give us all a smile

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

oooooooooooops forgot to do this yesterday .....

A song that takes 1,000 years to play launched on January 1, 2000.

music sheets

GETTY IMAGES

Composer Jem Finer wrote the piece called "Longplayer," which can be heard at London's Trinity Buoy Wharf (or over this live stream). It's being performed by singing bowls and is set to start all over again immediately after it finishes in 2999.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• miz miranda

• Ivy

• Davie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the shortest songs recorded

Napalm Death 'You Suffer' 1.3 seconds 1989

Smashing Pumpkins '17' 17 seconds

Beatles 'Her Majesty' 23 seconds

• Forum Moderator

The origins of Friday

There is some dispute about the origins of the word Friday, but most agree that the day is named after the Norse goddess Freyja, known to the Anglo-Saxons as Frigg. It’s thought the name comes from ‘Freyja’s Day’ which was shortened to Fre-day, then Friday. Freyja was the goddess of love, beauty, fertility, sex, war and magic.

Employees who work at Jack Daniels get a free bottle of Jack Daniels with their paychecks on the first Friday of every month.

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish was created in 1962 for Catholics abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent. According to McDonald's, a quarter of all its Filet-O-Fish sandwiches were sold during Lent last year.

On this day, April 13th, a Friday in 2029, an asteroid more than 1,000ft wide will pass by Earth closer than the moon and will easily be observed with the naked eye.

Hugh Jackman buys lotto tickets every Friday for the entire crew while filming a movie. It's a tradition he started 2 months into filming his first American film when he was embarrassed he didn't know the names of half the crew members.

On 24th October 1975, 90% of women in Iceland went on strike and took to the streets, refusing to work, cook, and look after children. The strike was called "Women's Day Off", and helped put Iceland at the forefront of the fight for gender equality. Men came to know it as "The Long Friday".

14 minutes ago, miz miranda said:

On 24th October 1975, 90% of women in Iceland went on strike and took to the streets, refusing to work, cook, and look after children. The strike was called "Women's Day Off", and helped put Iceland at the forefront of the fight for gender equality. Men came to know it as "The Long Friday".

Yeah for this--seize the moment 

• Forum Moderator

The name "bonobo" resulted from a misspelling.
Bonobo Edwin Butter/Shutterstock

"Bonobo," the common name for apes, may sound like some sort of translation of a meaningful term, but in fact, it was the result of a typo. Researchers reputedly first found the animals in the town of Bolobo, Zaire, in the '20s, but the name of the place was misspelled "Bonobo" on the shipping crate in which the animal was placed, leading others to refer to the animal by the name, which stuck.

• Forum Moderator

Cows have best friends.
Two Cows Astonishing Facts Shutterstock

Cows may seem like simple creatures, but deep down, they are surprisingly social and can experience a complex range of emotions and relationships, including friendship. "When heifers have their preferred partner with them, their stress levels in terms of their heart rates are reduced compared with if they were with a random individual," a researcher from the University of Northampton told the BBC.

Different breeds of dogs, as well as wolves and coyotes all have the same number of chromosomes and can interbreed. 

Foxes are different. Each type of fox has different genes, so they are unable to reproduce outside their own kind.  While they look, sound, and act in similar ways, they are very distinct species.

• Forum Moderator

Fun Facts about Classic Rock

1. Axl Rose is an anagram for oral sex, and his real name is William Bailey.

2. Rose used to earn $8 an hour by smoking cigarettes for a science experiment at UCLA.

3. The Clash's "Rock The Casbah" was written after the banning of rock music in Iran.

4. Bono got his nickname from a hearing-aid store.

5. John Lennon was featured as the cover story on the first issue of Rolling Stone, but the Beatles hold the record for most covers with more than 30.

6. Jimmy Page dated a 14-year-old girl while he was touring with Led Zeppelin.

7. The Rolling Stones' tongue logo design was inspired by the Indian Hindu goddess Kali The Destroyer.

8. London Calling was named after a phrase used in a BBC show during WWII: "Good morning America, this is London Calling."

9. Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" is named after Route 61, the highway that goes through his home state Minnesota through the Mississippi Delta.

10. Angelina Jolie's uncle, Chip Taylor, wrote the song "Wild Thing."

11. Lynyrd Skynyrd got their name from a high school teacher, Leonard Skinner, who suspended students for having long hair.

12. Brian Jones, co-founder of The Rolling Stones, was proficient at over 60 musical instruments.

13. Zeppelin came up with the title "Black Dog" after a large black labrador walked into the studio while recording.

14. Eric Clapton wrote the song "Layla" for George Harrison's wife.

15. The Doors were the first band ever to advertise a new album on a billboard.

16. John Bonham drank 40 shots of vodka the night he died.

17. Keith Moon, drummer from The Who, allegedly gave Led Zeppelin their name.

18. Led Zeppelin was once accused of defiling a groupie with a mud shark.

19. Wings recorded Red Rose Speedway at Abbey Road Studios the same time Pink Floyd recorded The Dark Side Of The Moon.

20. Each member of Nirvana was kicked out of the Nevermind release party for starting a food fight.

21. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" is dedicated to Duane Allman of The Allman Brother's Band.

22. Prince's "Purple Rain" is an allegory to the Jimi Hendix song "Purple Haze."

23. Jimi created the song "Little Wing" in 145 seconds.

24. Elton John's real name is Reginald Kenneth Dwight.

25. Fleetwood Mac founding member Jeremy Spencer abruptly left the group to join the Children of God cult.

26. The Muppet Show's Animal is allegedly inspired by Mick Fleetwood.

27. After making a mistake when recording "Hey Jude" Paul McCartney says, "Oh, -censored- hell" at 2:58.

28. Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" is about a man attempting to convince a Catholic girl to lose her virginity to him.

29. "Killing an Arab" by The Cure is really about Albert Camus' book The Stranger.

30. Before Neil Young joined Crosby, Stills and Nash, the members reached out to George Harrison and Eric Clapton to join the group.

31. Queen has the longest-running fan club, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

32. Paul McCartney performed at the 2012 London Olympics Opening Ceremony for the astonishing amount of 1 pound ($1.57).

33. London socialite Tara Browne is the inspiration behind the Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

34. Before he renamed himself Bob Dylan, Robert Allen Zimmerman briefly went by Elston Gunn.

35. Malcolm Young, AC/DC guitarist, worked in a bra factory as a sewing-machine mechanic.

36. The Rolling Stones recorded "Nineteenth Nervouse Breakdown" after Mick Jagger announced how exhausted was after touring, "I don't know about you blokes, but I feel about ready for my 19th nervous breakdown."

37. Before joining KISS, Vinnie Vincent wrote the soundtracks for Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi.

38. The Beatles' White Album was originally titled A Doll's House.

39. The Eagles started out as the backup band for Linda Ronstadt.

40. Elvis recorded more than 600 songs, but wrote zero of them.

41. Chuck Berry aspired to be a professional photographer and only performed music to buy photography equipment.

42. Bill Wyman, former Rolling Stones guitarist, dated a 14-year-old.

43. Dylan's first draft of "Like a Rolling Stone" was six pages long.

44. While Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" was recorded in one take.

45. Jimi Hendrix wrote "Purple Haze" after dreaming about walking under the sea.

• Forum Moderator

Groundhog Day falls on the 2nd of February for a reason. It’s what’s known as a “cross-quarter” day, meaning it falls at the midpoint between one season and another. In the case of February 2nd, it’s the cross-quarter day that falls between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, making it the ideal time to consider whether or not spring will arrive early.

4 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

It’s what’s known as a “cross-quarter” day, meaning it falls at the midpoint between one season and another.

And as such is a "Sabbat" for some folks.

We have daffodils coming out here.  Spring is on the way.

5 hours ago, Ivy said:

And as such is a "Sabbat" for some folks.

We have daffodils coming out here.  Spring is on the way.

It is a traditional festival for a number of different folks.  "Imbolc" to Wiccans IIRC.  In Ireland, it is the feast of St. Brigid.  Also some Christians observe it as Candlemas, commemorating the presentation of young Jesus at the temple in Jerusalem.

• Forum Moderator

The origins of Friday

There is some dispute about the origins of the word Friday, but most agree that the day is named after the Norse goddess Freyja, known to the Anglo-Saxons as Frigg. It’s thought the name comes from ‘Freyja’s Day’ which was shortened to Fre-day, then Friday. Freyja was the goddess of love, beauty, fertility, sex, war and magic. She really had a lot on her plate, didn’t she!?

@Heather Shay In Norse myth, Freyja's twin brother Freyr shared some of the same attributes/responsibilities.  Probably because Freyja was busy being the party goddess sleeping with everybody.  She's similar in some ways to the Roman Venus/Greek Aphrodite.   Russian/Slavic variations are Lado/Lada or Rado/Rada.  Sometimes the female has the name Ziva.  The names Rada and Ziva are cognates of Radha and Shiva, which are Hindu deities that again share some of the same attributes.  Amazing how folk myths have connections across cultures. 

• Forum Moderator
  1. 'Mellifluous' is a sound that is pleasingly smooth and musical to hear.
  2. Baby rabbits are called kits. Cute!
  3. People are more creative in the shower. When we take a warm shower, we experience an increased dopamine flow that makes us more creative.
  4. Competitive art used to be an Olympic sport. Between 1912 and 1948, the international sporting events awarded medals for music, painting, sculpture and architecture. Shame it didn't catch on, the famous pottery scene in Ghost could have won an Olympic medal as well as an Academy Award for the best screenplay.
  5. Nutmeg is a hallucinogen. The spice contains myristicin, a natural compound that has mind-altering effects if ingested in large doses.
  6. Japan has over 200 flavours of Kit Kats. They're exclusively created for different regions, cities, and seasons. There are some tasty-sounding ones like banana, blueberry cheesecake and Oreo ice cream, as well as some very questionable ones like baked potato, melon and cheese, wasabi, and vegetable juice.
  7. All the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4.20. Looks like we're going to have to rewatch the film to find out.
3 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

All the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4.20. 

Seriously?

I'm not sure what to think.

• Forum Moderator

1. All the electricity powering the internet weighs the same as an apricot.

2. A hippo’s jaw opens wide enough to fit a sports car inside.

3. It would take 19 minutes to fall from the North Pole to Earth’s core.

4. Every 4 minutes and 13 seconds, enough wool is produced around the world to make a jumper big enough for the Statue of Liberty to wear.

55 minutes ago, Heather Shay said:

A hippo’s jaw opens wide enough to fit a sports car inside.

Hippos are also regarded as the most dangerous animal in Africa according to the late safari guide and big game hunter Pete Capstick.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:58 AM, Heather Shay said:
  2. Baby rabbits are called kits. 
  5. Nutmeg is a hallucinogen.

Continuing the theme...

"Kit" is a shortened form of "kitten.". Many baby animals are called kits, such as beavers, ferrets, squirrels, raccoons, and wolverines.  And of course, foxes!

The human body's ability to process drugs can vary significantly from person to person.  Some people are relatively unaffected by the THC in cannabis, requiring large amounts to experience any effect.  Others are easily affected by the myristicin in nutmeg, requiring only small amounts of the common baking spice.  

Hippos are estimated to cause 3000 deaths per year, however, Mosquitos are considered the most dangerous as they are estimated to 1,000,000 deaths to year through diseases such as malaria or Yellow Fever. Mosquitos are also considered the most dangerous in the world.

Having recently been to South Africa, Hippos are not one of the so-called 'Big Five' of dangerous animals  to hunt in Africa;

Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Black Lion, Black Rhinoceros  and Leopard.

46 minutes ago, miz miranda said:

Hippos are estimated to cause 3000 deaths per year, however, Mosquitos are considered the most dangerous as they are estimated to 1,000,000 deaths to year through diseases such as malaria or Yellow Fever. Mosquitos are also considered the most dangerous in the world.

Having recently been to South Africa, Hippos are not one of the so-called 'Big Five' of dangerous animals  to hunt in Africa;

Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Black Lion, Black Rhinoceros  and Leopard.

You're right! I should have said "big game animals." Not surprised about South Africa as hippos are, I believe, indigenous to the Nile and Congo rivers.

Leopards are just plain scary. In Pete Capstick's book "Death in the Long Grass" he talks about how wounded leopards will use their own blood spoor to lure hunters into ambush and then pounce on them. Just plain scary.