• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Surge of gender dysphoria and anxiety upon chance of new job career

JMG

I have been pretty alone for a long time, and I was unemployed first and then 2020 came around with restrictions of staying at home.
However now I have gotten a possible chance to build a career, but in there I would have to be visible for a larger group of people.
I had planned to live as a woman more of my time, and be addressed with my female name, but that would not be possible in the career I am possibly
in for, however, later on when I get contact with doctors, I am sure the transition will be OK with them.
But I still look like a man, and in that career I would have to appear as a man with my male name, and the thought of that fact caused distress,
I dont want to turn this chance of my life down just because of that gender dysphoria. I am sure I am not alone in a situation like this. To anybody with gender dysphoria: How do/did you cope in a similar situation with this anxiety and depression caused by gender dysphoria connected to such job or similar, situations?

• Forum Moderator

I think first you need financial stability and if you need to pose for the time being that is ok. 

As far as dysphoria just knowing it's there gives you power over it. I know it's hard. Believe me. But I'm learning that you are bigger than it and you can let it be there and not dominate you.

Any time you need support you have support here to get you through the rough spots.

13 hours ago, Shay said:

I think first you need financial stability and if you need to pose for the time being that is ok. 

As far as dysphoria just knowing it's there gives you power over it. I know it's hard. Believe me. But I'm learning that you are bigger than it and you can let it be there and not dominate you.

Any time you need support you have support here to get you through the rough spots.

Thank you so very much! I think that is the best answer I got, I asked at a forum in my country and did not get much good support. So basically, if I got it right, knowing it's there, knowing that when I appear as a man, I know there will be dysphoria, feeling it without getting sucked up by it I believe. Perhaps this is similar to the strategy I learned to use against the feeling of bad self confidence?

• 6 months later...

You have no idea how much I feel this. I'm trying to find work, and am nervous about revealing myself to strangers. Especially strangers that may become coworkers. When I fill out online applications, I always select that I decline to reveal my gender to them. I feel like I can't say Female for fear of not getting hired because I'm sadly biologically male.