• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Advice: re-entering society post COVID?

RobynNYC

Hi! So a little background. 
i started low dose hrt back in October and have been growing my hair since last January. I’ve also gotten laser and it’s done a pretty good though still imperfect job on my face.  So I’m way more passable than I had been but have not yet socially transitioned.   (And it will be a while before that happens…).  So yeah, it’s kind of an awkward stage. 

But I’m vaxxed and we (NYC) are going to start reopening soon and I will be back out among Real. People.  

anyone else anxious about this? Ventured out already? Would love if you could share your experiences!

-robyn 

I haven't started transitioning yet, but I thank God for the mandatory masks: the mask and a hat enable me to venture out in female clothing. Also, when I see my reflection, I don't see my face, which is what troubles me most about my body at this stage. As the summer comes, with less clothes on, I'll have to go for a unisex look.

Also, I love remote work because I can dress however I please. I only have to be "presentable" from the neck up for the eventual video call.

All in all, a magical end to Covid (no masks, work at the office, etc.) would be a negative disruption for me! (though I sorely miss meeting relatives and friends, hugging each other, etc.)

• Forum Moderator

@RobynNYC congratulations on your progress. I've been on HRT and electrolysis for 10 months and I'm not anywhere near passing - but that's ok. I am taking it slow and dressing conservatively in ladies clothes only but no one when I venture out mistakes my for a girl - although I wish they would. But depending on what your situation is, only you know if you are ready. NYC is a massive place and I would think you have both extremes - most I believe will not pay any attention, a lot will support you, a few what not support you but make sure you have support when you venture out - so you have a good buffer for the few jerks out there.

2 hours ago, Beatriz said:

All in all, a magical end to Covid (no masks, work at the office, etc.) would be a negative disruption for me! (though I sorely miss meeting relatives and friends, hugging each other, etc.)

Yes, as much as I’ve longed for the end to this Terrible Pandemic I’m kind of dreading it.  On the other hand it means I can finally get that facial I've been pining for.   

but remote work, which will be 90% of my go forward, has been a total boost for me!

@Shayone of my biggest realizations during COVID was just how similar and boring my choice of clothing is between male and female presentation.  I’ve only been out in female mode a few times and thanks so masks and sunglasses pass pretty well…. ??

I have been working remote for a little over a year now, and it has helped me explore myself in the safety of my own home. Which has been great, because I could be who I wanted to be regardless of what others may say or feel. Then being able to put a mask on added another safety layer for me, I felt like it was something I could hide behind, which again has been great and helps with my discomfort of how my face looks.

All that being said, I echo that I do miss the in-person interactions with friends, family, and oddly, coworkers as well. There is something that Zoom doesn’t do for filling that void. I am scared to death though about it coming to an end suddenly and me not being done with my chrysalis transformation that I am in right now, because really that is what the pandemic has given me. Just my musings on the question/issue.

Right before COVID, and before I was on HRT or doing laser, it was winter still so I just wore women's winter hats and otherwise dressed like a woman, wore lipstick sometimes. I went out to a drag show and bars like that, and went to restaurants, the mall, board game club in a coffee shop. I wore a dress sometimes too. It was fine. A bit nervewracking at first and I got some looks and comments that weren't so nice, but I didn't care about that.