• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What is your favorite music genre?

Sally Stone

I thought the "What are you listening to" thread was amazing, so hopefully, this slight variation will garner some additional responses.

My favorite genre is Progressive Rock but Hard Rock is a close second.  My kids and their friends are always fascinated by the fact that a sixty-something person really enjoys very hard rock.  But I digress.  Everyone jump in and tell us what is your favorite music genre.  Don't forget to mention why!

• Admin

Classic country, followed by classical (sub-genre Baroque).  But I like almost everything except jazz, and even that has its exceptions, such as Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz and Herbie Hancock.

Carolyn Marie

• Root Admin

Classic and Outlaw country.  Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash. etc.

60's Rock and Roll.   Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, Simon and Garfunkel, The Monkees, The Byrds, etc.

Folk music        Peter, Paul and Mary, Chad Mitchell Trio, Kingston Trio, Gordon Lightfoot The Seekers, etc.

• Admin
3 hours ago, MaryEllen said:

Classic and Outlaw country.  Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash. etc.

60's Rock and Roll.   Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, Simon and Garfunkel, The Monkees, The Byrds, etc.

Folk music        Peter, Paul and Mary, Chad Mitchell Trio, Kingston Trio, Gordon Lightfoot The Seekers, etc.

I knew there was a reason I like you, @MaryEllen!  I would enjoy spending an evening with you listening to tunes from all those musicians and groups.  I saw Garfunkel in 2019 but never Simon.  I've seen Lightfoot live at least 10 times, and Nelson three times.  Did you see Ken Burns' docu on country music?  If not, you would love it.

Carolyn Marie

• 3 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

I tend to be eclectic. I believe every genre deserves a listen if it is performed well. Good topic and your choice is interesting and I'm not familiar so I'll investigate. Thanks for the info.

I mostly listen to prog rock, metal, jazz rock fusion, hip hop, experimental music and ocassional country music. My favorite artists are the Grateful Dead, Arca, Kanye West, Tetsuo Sakurai and argentinian artists such as Luis Alberto Spinneta, Charly Garcia, Gustavo Cerati and all their projects inbetween. If you want to give a listen to the argentinian artists I recommend Pescado Rabioso - Artaud, La máquina de hacer pájaros - self titled album, and The MTV unplugged from Soda Stereo.

Luna ❤️

My tastes are kind of all over the place, too. Everything from Kenny G to Marilyn Manson. Let's see, in no particular order...J-pop/rock/electronic, industrial rock/metal/dance, hair metal, 80's pop/rock/easy listening, 90's dance, smooth jazz, spanish/classical guitar, various forms of electronica both heavy and light, swing revival, and also Lindsey Stirling - I count Lindsey Stirling as a genre in and of herself ?

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Janet Jackson, and also KMFDM's recent dub-style (not to be confused with dubstep, dub is something completely different) remix album, "In Dub".

• 1 year later...

metal can feel pretty empowering and good to work out to. if i had to pick a favorite, i might have to leave it at that. i think there's stuff that i like in every subgenre of metal ive heard so far