ūüŹ≥ÔłŹ‚ÄćūüĆą June is Pride Month √ó
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Going Through This Alone

Drake

Trigger Warning: Mention of suicide, description of means (please do not read this if you are not in a good place)

So, I've been sorting through a lot of trauma that has happened in my life. A lot of this stuff I've already dealt with, but it's the stuff you can't talk about that kills you.

When I was 17 years old, I was raped.

When I was 23 years old, I discovered my brother's suicide in the basement.

I grew up with religious oppression and queer trauma, blah, blah, blah.

The blissful thing about these things is that I'm allowed to be upset about them, at least in the LGBTQ community. They were much easier to deal with than things I can't talk about, things that weren't supposed to bother me. It's the silence that kills you.

I recently lost my girlfriend, my house, and my dog all in one day. Through a very abrupt misunderstanding, I came home one day and found all my things packed. She has since changed the locks on the doors of the place I used to call home. I at least got the dog back.

Aside from that very disruptive day, other stuff happened while I lived there that I can't really talk about. Stuff that I'm not allowed to be upset by because it's unreasonable.

Bad breakups are one of those things nobody wants to hear about. It's a great opportunity to brush off whatever someone's going through because they "brought it upon themselves." It's one of those things you're not allowed to talk about, because nobody wants to listen.

Something happened while I lived there that I can't forget, that really shook me to my core, especially when it comes to relationships. It changed my whole perspective of the world. I had disturbing flashbacks of what I saw for a while, nausea, the feeling of a cold knife digging into my chest. Then this absurd panic and white hot rage began to surround the whole issue and everything pertaining to it, even stuff that just reminded me. It became a very deep source of anger and despair for me. It came back to me weeks and months afterwards and I had these low-key panic attacks that turned into explosive rage after a while.

This, of course, ended things with my girlfriend. The breakup was sad, but dealing with this new, broken world I discovered as a result of my relationship with her is what kills me. The ability to look out the window and hate everyone and everything, because this sickness pervades everything. I think about how much I hate this new world that I don't even want to live in it. But I'm not supposed to be upset, mind you.

I'm supposed to be chill. I'm cool. It's all good.

After my last fight with my ex girlfriend (where I did some things I'm not proud of) I drove around the places I used to live with her, the neighborhoods we used to go through, and I found the perfect blind curve to lay down in. A blind curve in a winding, country road that everyone drove too fast through. I layed down on the road for a few minutes, and it was very peaceful. When a car finally did drive by, I got too scared, and I figured laying down in the road is a pretty humiliating way to die. So I got up and I drove down to a bridge. I parked the car and I went and sat down on the bridge railing, watching the water and all that. I wanted to jump, but a part of me was scared I wouldn't die, that I would just break my legs and be stuck down there. I also read somewhere that it takes 4 minutes to die from jumping to your death. I didn't wanna lay there in agony for 4 minutes.

I finally left because my best friend had been begging me to just come to her house, and I figured that was better than staring at water that I was too scared to jump in.

I haven't told anyone what happened that night, but everyone was freaking out trying to find me. I got careless, and now some of my self-inflicted injuries are showing.

I still have some plastic bags and duct tape in my bedroom, where I may try to suffocate myself still. I read you will pass out after 7 minutes without oxygen, and after 20 you will die. I have enough drugs and booze in my room to where I think I can deal with 7 minutes in a bag. The option is still there.

I don't know what went wrong with me. I just wasn't equipped for people like my ex or what happened while I lived with her. I became a person I didn't recognize, and I can honestly say that I am still very sad I live in this world. Yes, I want to be able to transition and date whoever I like, but not if the world is like this...

Delcina B

Drake, you're not alone you have me & all the rest of the Transpulse people here who care about you. I feel for you & there was a time when I didn't care if I continued to live or not, that no one would care if I was gone. But I was so wrong! I've been able to help my family, others & myself since then. I love the movie, It's A Wonderful Life, it is so relevant & it's message is real. We don't often think of the awesome possibilities of what we might, or will do. Whose life we might save, or change for the good. 

If you're feeling like ending your life please call the Lifeline or speak with a crisis moderator the info's below.

Hugs!

Delcina

Suicide Prevention

Most transgender people have attempted suicide at least once in their lives. If you have, please lend your support here to those who are having a bad time now. Suicide is never the answer. If you are suicidal, call the Trans Lifeline at (877) 565-8860 in the US or (877) 330-6366 in Canada. In the UK, call the Samaritans free on 116 123, or log in to our live chat room and ask to speak with a crisis moderator.

4 hours ago, Drake said:

I haven't told anyone what happened that night, but everyone was freaking out trying to find me.

When my marriage broke up I was pretty suicidal.  I had already written the note, and had the 38 on the table.  But I did realize there were people that cared about me in spite of that.  And I thought about how they would feel when they found the mess that had been me.  So I didn't do it.

I will say that things have gotten better with time.  I still get depressed at times, but I have been able to move on into a new understanding of myself that I probably wouldn't have know otherwise.

I thought my life was over at the time… but it wasn't.

We all go through times that suck or worse, but they won't last for ever.  I know it just sounds like empty words, but it's really true.

• Forum Moderator
Charlize

Thank you for sharing with us.  I hid my depression for years but now if it resurfaces i try to share it and reach out.  I have also gotten professional help and took medication for several years.  Please don't hesitate to get help!  The terrible feelings passed and the effects of trauma lessened as time has passed.  One amazing thing is as i reach out to help others who are facing depression or trauma is that i feel better.  

Perhaps the best thing i can share is that no matter how bad it may seem it does get better each day and i can get through one day at a time.

Big Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So with the help of my therapist, I checked myself into the ER, and the hospital held me for a while until they could get me on some medication. Now I have a psychiatrist to monitor what I'm taking, and thanks to the meds, I'm doing a lot better than I was.

• Forum Moderator
Charlize

I'm so glad you reached out and got help dear!  There was a time when i needed help and i was on medication for some time as i mentioned above.  It really helped so today i'm actually enjoying life as never before.  If i start to have issues again i hope i'm strong enough to get help as you did.  Wonderful news indeed!

Hugs,

Charlize

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • shyla
    • Petra Jane
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Torrence Kieran
    Newest Member
    Torrence Kieran

No users celebrating today
    • Petra Jane
      Unfortunately, I am now unable to remember very clearly those famous people I have met, I know I met some of the Grumblweeds (a UK band in the 80’s), local personalities but the person who made the most lasting impression on me was the team leader of the Stoke team when I was hospitalised following a couple of strokes. she helped me come to terms with the way my life changed, having survived two strokes, her words, survived the weekend when the nurses didn’t think I was going to make it, and giving me the support I needed to not just survive but improve my life and my health afterwards. It was a delight to be able to return a few years later, meet her, and thank her for her support, and to be honest, show how much improved I was from the day I was discharged.
    • Teri Anne
      Love thrift stores and you never know what you will find. I collect military jackets and BDUs and I found a slant pocket insect repellent combat shirt. The pattern is more a woodland camo style. Need to do a bit of research into what branch wore the style of shirt.
    • Red_Lauren.
      Not really famous, but locally famous. I know a few local djs at a some what personal level. From when I worked in radio.    I also got to meet one of our local news anchors when I was a bouncer, and it didn't click who she was till I asked for a id. She was super nice, and we chatted for a few minutes. As I was getting her a voucher for a free ride home. A few days later. I was walking in to the gym as she was leaving, and she looked at me like she has seen me before. 
    • KymmieL
      WLLZ was 98.7 last I heard it was jazz in the early 90s. RIF has gone modern junk. I didn't know WNIC was still around. When I was feeling mellow, I would turn on pillow talk. for the slow romantic songs that I never got to dance to. I have WCSX bookmarked to listen to sometimes. They are a lot better than the canned crap we have here.  Then again that is why I have satellite radio in my Ranger and my wagon.   Kymmie
    • KymmieL
      Willow, I have a few friends with heeps so it is all good. I am just mostly a Ford girl. Well Ford and Buick girl. We have a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4. We got it simply because it has all the goodies that I wanted to put on our 2000 explorer Limited. Rear locker, trail control,270hp 290tq turbo 2.3l. plus it was new and reliable.  I had a decal on the window of our first Explorer trail truck, "screw your jeep thing." My friends with Jeeps thought it was great.   OK, You get over to Laramie and I'll buy the coffee.   Kymmie
    • MetaLicious
      For me, it was a dream.  A dream where I had a woman's face, but when I checked down south, I still had male parts.  In the dream, I shrugged it off as no bg deal, and went out to show the world m new face.  The dream sparked an internal revolution, where I realized I had spend two-thirds of my life expectancy playing at being male (even while vocally protesting that I just didn't get it!).  I knew I would live the rest of m life in regret if I didn't make an effort to be the woman in y dreams, who went out proud into the world despite not being completely female.   It has made all the difference.  I spent some time rejecting my masculinity wholesale, until I decided I was non-binary.  A strong feminine leaning, to be sure, but I am not wholly male or female.  If I could wave a magic wand, I would love to be a cis-girl, but there is no magic wand, and that dream made me feel like it would work for me to straddle  both worlds.  So far, it has.
    • DonkeySocks
      If you want to go to church, go. If it makes you feel at home, if it makes you feel socially healthy, or in touch with spirituality, go. You can work on untangling from whatever toxic parts of it are affecting you. You might never agree with everyone in the "club" of a given religion, or with the overall teachings, even. If you feel the religion you grew up in is harming you, search for lgbt friendly worship services in your area.   All I know about LDS I know from a friend who converted to it, and reading about it online.   I can only speak to my experience of the Catholic church, which is this: canon from Rome is way different from Midwestern home congregations' practices. You'll find a lot of nasty, snide iterations of canon/dogma online. It's easy to find people not just repeating the rules, but writing them in a condescending way. But it baffles me to see that, because where I grew up going to church, in a suburb of a large Midwestern city, we had an openly gay couple as music directors. If an apparently trans person went to that church, nobody would have said anything--except that my mother would have criticized their clothing, because she criticizes people a lot, for everything. I don't go on this ramble to say you should go to a Catholic church. I only mean you might find friends in any denomination.
    • Elizabeth Star
      That sounds so nice, wish we would do that.
    • DonkeySocks
      You might get closer to understanding that if you study the history of Christianity, an overview, not just of one religion. You can take a course or make your own study through books and websites. It can be really fascinating to see the cultural interweavings with religious traditions. If you enjoy general history you could really have a good time and start to get a larger perspective on how you approach religion.
    • Torrence Kieran
      @KathyLauren That's a good point. I guess I'm just really scared of change and not really sure even how I'd go about it. But I don't really want to have that full repercussion of the whole church as you pointed out. I'm just an obsessive overthinker and terrified of that change. 
    • Elizabeth Star
      I was sent out on yet a 3rd run to get stuff. Part of my mission was to stop at a thrift store to look for a chair for our makeup table. Instead I found this gorgeous little dress. I really shouldn't be allowed in stores unattended. I almost passed on it until I convinced myself to try it on. It's like it was made for me. I'll take another picture when I can get all done-up to wear it. Not sure what occasion it's for but at $6 I'll make up one. Maybe work on Monday.  
    • MetaLicious
      Well, since you've already started HRT, eventually she's going to know something's... different.  I would try and find a quiet time when there weren't likely to be interruptions, then just drop the news.  It's not something you can dance around forever, and it's knd of too late to beat around the bush in an effort to get a feel for how she'll react.   One piece of advice - tell her that you KNOW you shuld have broght this up sooner.  She'll probably be thinking that anyway, but it can't hurt to say it out loud.   I wish you the best of luck.
    • DonkeySocks
      I agree with @Torrence Kieran Also, I quoted this section of your original post because this is a lot of what your wife needs to know, right here. You can tell her these things. Lead with reassurance--that you treasure your relationship and have no intention of changing your devotion to her and you want your connection to be as close and deep as it can--or whatever words suit your style. Use a prewritten card to express the sentiments if necessary. Start with reassurance, and tell her the exact truth. Emphasize the reason for the delay and that sharing with her means so much to you.
    • Torrence Kieran
      I've always had a hard time with talking about the fact that I self-harm since I've never cut. I've had a relatively huge fear of knives my whole life so instead I started bruising. I don't do it very frequently, but the fact that I've done it all always causes me distress... and I think about doing it a lot more than I actually do it... I just always feel like I can't talk about it because it's not how most people do it and it's not really ever talked about. It's just that sometimes my emotions get too big and I don't know what to do with them and then I just... y'know... and I just never really feel like it'll be taken as valid or really if I even consider it valid. Does anyone have any advice on how to help stop and cope with the emotions better?
    • Torrence Kieran
      I think being honest and straightforward would be best. If you know how the two of you communicate best try and adapt it to that form. If that's through writing try doing a letter or email. If it's through art draw something and then explain it. If it's just normal talking sit her down and let her know what you need for your happiness. I hope this helped a little bit!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.