• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Depression and binge eating

Denise savulski

How can I stop binge eating when my depression kicks in and when its late at night and I'm alone . it gets worse and its not that I really want to eat but for that brief moment I guess it makes me feel good.

• Forum Moderator

I suppose it depends a bit on where you are. When I am in bed I try to plan ahead for the next day and rather than getting up and raiding the fridge I work out my meal plans for the following day. It usually results in me falling asleep while I am doing it as it fills my mind when I am otherwise down or depressed.

Tracy

I am sorry you are having to deal with depression and I wish I had and answer for you.

I deal with compulsive over eating disorder and at times I will binge eat for weeks until it subsides.

The last few years  have been really hard and with covid quarantine on top of that I have put on so much weight even I can't believe it.

I just can't control it and at times don't care if I get fatter.

Working with a nutritionist but she is so backed up with patients and in the process of moving so its not working out.

Are you being treated by professional that deals with depression?

Yes and I'm usually ok with watching my intake but when the stress becomes so great get  to the point of bing eating and I don't realize until its over 

After my mom died I lost alot of weight ,in 4 weeks I went from 290 at 6'1" down to 235 and I lost it so fast I couldn't stand according to my doctor I lost it to fast .but this is a diet he restricted me to I had a fiber muffin for breakfast and lunch and between 300 to 700 calories  for dinner. And it was great losing all that weight but it really wasn't healthy.

I did manage to keep it off for a year but toward the end of the year I started vomiting everything I ate. And all I had to do was think about it and it left my body do back to the doctors again....I wish I could lose weight like that again

My doctors  have a close watch for drastically fast weight loss they figured any more than 2 lbs a day x 6 weeks and I'm in trouble  so I lose 10 to 15 lbs and I yo yo up and down so they're happy

• 1 month later...

My dealings with a nutritionist have worked out pretty well so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The urge to binge has been there but I have been able to  hold it at bay and not fall off the wagon.

Have managed to lose 10 pounds by cutting out ice cream and sweet stuff.

I will be surprised if I get under 300 lbs and stay there but I hope I can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:51 PM, Denise savulski said:

How can I stop binge eating when my depression kicks in and when its late at night and I'm alone . it gets worse and its not that I really want to eat but for that brief moment I guess it makes me feel good.

Bad food is easy and cheap to get. Bad food is addicting and it has been designed that way. 

Consider this, in the 1970's only 3% of the US population was obese. E.D. was rare. Anorexia nervosa is still extremely rare although the media would have you believe it isn't. 

Here's how you stop binge eating. Eat clean! addictive food raises hell with your dopamine and serotonin levels and receptors and that adds to your depression. The food companies know this and they actually designed foods to be addicting so that you will eat more. 

Again, you gotta eat clean and in time you won't have cravings that make you binge and your depression may lift. And BTW, antidepressants may increase your appetite.

Junk Food Designed to be Addictive | Terroir Seeds

Sep 23, 2015 · Processed foods are engineered through the use of salt, sugar and fat to reach the consumers "bliss point" and create food addictions.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was a cry day and have been doing it off and on most of the day.

I see all the ladies posting pics in threads and they all look so pretty and here I am so over weight and look awful.

I did lose 10 lbs yes and actually it feels like I may have lost a bit more but I am afraid to step on the scale to find out.

Passed a mirror at a store recently and started to cry because I am just so fat and feel locked in this huge body.

Still eating clean and not craving much in between meals so that is a good thing.

Still going for walks in the evening  and that is so hard carrying all this weight. I'll keep at it tho'.

9 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

Today was a cry day and have been doing it off and on most of the day.

I see all the ladies posting pics in threads and they all look so pretty and here I am so over weight and look awful.

I did lose 10 lbs yes and actually it feels like I may have lost a bit more but I am afraid to step on the scale to find out.

Passed a mirror at a store recently and started to cry because I am just so fat and feel locked in this huge body.

Still eating clean and not craving much in between meals so that is a good thing.

Still going for walks in the evening  and that is so hard carrying all this weight. I'll keep at it tho'.

Food is insidious. Unlike booze or drugs we can't live without it. The American diet and lifestyle seems to have been engineered to cause obesity and depression.  There's big money in treating depression. https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/depression-rates-by-country

Sunlight is important. Mosty Americans are deficient in vitamin D. Get your vitamin D levels checked and get your thyroids checked.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/depression-rates-by-country

Find out how your testosterone levels compare with XX females. They may be lower.

On 8/9/2021 at 2:12 PM, Teri Anne said:

My dealings with a nutritionist have worked out pretty well so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The urge to binge has been there but I have been able to  hold it at bay and not fall off the wagon.

Have managed to lose 10 pounds by cutting out ice cream and sweet stuff.

I will be surprised if I get under 300 lbs and stay there but I hope I can.

I wrote a book on weightloss but I was never able to get it published. That said, here's how to lose weight safely and keep it off.

1. Determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) by multiplying your current body weight by 10. If your are say, 200lbs your BMR is 2000 calories per day.

2. if you eat at your BMR your will lose 1 pound per week per 100lbs of body weight. Eat healthy wholesome food. Don't do a crash diet. That's it.

• Root Admin
4 hours ago, Sometimes Chrissie said:

I wrote a book on weightloss but I was never able to get it published. That said, here's how to lose weight safely and keep it off.

1. Determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) by multiplying your current body weight by 10. If your are say, 200lbs your BMR is 2000 calories per day.

2. if you eat at your BMR your will lose 1 pound per week per 100lbs of body weight. Eat healthy wholesome food. Don't do a crash diet. That's it.

That’s useful to know, also a nice simple explanation that we can all understand. Now I just need to know the calorie count of what I eat. ?

• 3 months later...

I ate for comfort for most of my life until I nearly managed to kill myself with food.  I was in constant pain and could barely walk and tipped the scale (when I could find one that would weigh me) at 530 lbs.  I had been repressing being trans for decades and trying to keep depression at bay with food.  I finally started hormones the summer of 2020 and by fall I was losing weight.  I didn't really mean for it to happen at first, but I didn't feel so much craving to constantly eat.  When I saw what was happening I jumped on board to try to keep it going.  I have been using an free app called "lose it"  (no affiliation) that has been helpful tracking calories and such.  In my search for low calorie but satisfying and reasonably health meals, I have been cooking more and eating out less and have been exploring more dishes from other cultures.  So now it is about 14 months later and I have lost 163 lbs.  I am feeling much better but I still need to lose another 200 lbs to be where I want to be.  I hope I can keep it up and go all the way.  I think of all the cute clothes I could wear if I got down there. :)

Compulsive overeating is gripping me again and I am just so disappointed in myself.

The support group OEA meetings aren't helping a bit. Its me I know it (I just needed to type that).

My nutritionist has moved her practice across the country so  no support there. (time to look for another one I know).

I wish I wasn't so fat and would be happy if I could fit back in size 16 jeans.

• Forum Moderator

While I struggle with this too, I have one of these next to my workspace.

It's Okay if You Screwed up Today" Fox" Poster by thelatestkate | Redbubble

There's always tomorrow. Yeah, today wasn't your greatest effort, but you can try again and keep trying until you stay on the wagon. Don't beat yourself up, that just makes it worse.

Hugs!

18 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

While I struggle with this too, I have one of these next to my workspace.

It's Okay if You Screwed up Today" Fox" Poster by thelatestkate | Redbubble

There's always tomorrow. Yeah, today wasn't your greatest effort, but you can try again and keep trying until you stay on the wagon. Don't beat yourself up, that just makes it worse.

Hugs!

I love this.❤️ I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live, or at least try to. Yeah, it's not easy. I use the Fitbit app. It's shocking how quick the calories add up. Going to the gym helps. I usually burn 350 calories when I go. Watching TV and free time is when I'm weakest. Holidays don't help either. Hope we all have a great day. Hugs.

Jamie.jpg

Also like the message Jackie C posted!!  I'm using it to face today. 

My heart and mind desire your compulsion and depression to lift today and tomorrow Teri Anne.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting stuck in this rut.

Stressed out and alone.

Eating when I'm not hungry.

Not stopping when I am hungry.

All my rules and restrictions have been lifted by me, no discipline, and it's worse than when I used to weigh 50lbs heavier.  Must stop this or I will be headed down a dark place

• 4 weeks later...

I have fallen off the proverbial wagon and the compulsive eating is well entrenched.

Officially the heaviest I have ever been.

1 minute ago, Teri Anne said:

I have fallen off the proverbial wagon and the compulsive eating is well entrenched.

Sorry to hear this. Free time has always been my downfall. I don't know what your situation is. Hope you can pull out of it quickly. Hugs 

• Forum Moderator
12 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

That's the great thing about the wagon though. You can climb back on and try again. No judgement.

So this time wasn't your time. That's fine. Maybe the next time will be. Never stop trying to reach your goals.

Hugs!