• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Biden authorizes GCS for Vets!

Just read that Biden announced he will direct the VA to offer bottom surgeries to vets in the VA system.  Boom!

• Admin

I heard that, too.  But it was my understanding that it is something that requires Congressional authorization.  I guess we'll see pretty soon.

Carolyn Marie

What?  I'll believe it when I see it.

It this is real it could be a game changer for a lot of people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Would probably be a game changer for me. I just wonder what hoops you are going to have to jump through. 

Kymmie 

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, Bri2020 said:

Just read that Biden announced he will direct the VA to offer bottom surgeries to vets in the VA system.  Boom!

Only bottom surgeries?

1 hour ago, Davie said:

I found this:

Biden's Veterans Affairs secretary tells Pride event the government will pay for free gender reassignment surgery for up to 4,000 transgender vets 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9706735/Bidens-Veterans-Affairs-secretary-announces-VA-pay-transgender-vets-reassignment-surgery.html

Wow… does that reporter not have an editor? Sheesh.

It’s still a bit unclear, to me at least. The author defines GCS as changing a “person’s body,” but it isn’t. GCS is specific to the vaginoplasty or phalloplasty. There’s still 4 possible surgeries that don’t necessarily fall under the definition of GCS, but some or all of them are necessary.

• Forum Moderator

The friends i have who are using the VA for their medical as well as gender issues are very pleased with the care their gender issues are receiving at this point.  It is good to see support and hopefully insurance plans that have refused in the past will start to pay for care.

Hugs,

Charlize

1 hour ago, Charlize said:

The friends i have who are using the VA for their medical as well as gender issues are very pleased with the care their gender issues are receiving at this point.  It is good to see support and hopefully insurance plans that have refused in the past will start to pay for care.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thanks,  @Charlize Good to have real experience behind the news source.

I can also confirm that, at least at the VA Hospital I go, the care for Trans Veterans is light years above what it was 20 years ago.

As for President Biden's desire for the VHA to cover Trans related surgeries, here is the information that I have been given.  My therapist is the head of the LGBT care at my local VA hospital, and she says that the process was actually started before the Trump administration, and the public comment phase had already been completed.  When Trump was elected, the process stalled....no big surprise there.  President Biden has directed the VHA to pick the process up again at the point it had reached.  This means that there is no need for a new public comment phase, and is more getting the final approval, funding and working out the logistics of executing the plan (whether the VA will hire surgeons to preform the procedures or if they will do a community based care system using private sector surgeons).  They will also need to figure out how many procedures can be done annually, based upon the allocated budget.   According to my therapist, the projected timeline for this is 2+ years, if approval is granted.

Anything can happen in the timeframe.  If the balance of power shifts in Congress, or a less LGBT administration is elected, the process could well be shelved again.  While it is great that this issue is being addressed again, at this point there is no guarantee that it will ever happen.  There is now, however, hope, and that goes a long way. 

2 hours ago, MiraM said:

…(whether the VA will hire surgeons to preform the procedures or if they will do a community based care system using private sector surgeons). 

This right here is what concerns me. While my endocrinologist and dermatologist have been fantastic, every other department I’ve dealt with has been a comedy of errors.

The only way I’d be okay having the VA cover my surgery is it it’s fine via community care.

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that this caps at 4000 veterans? My question, supposing the government manages to get everything in place, is what happens to the rest of us, AND, how will the 4000 be selected?  Call me cynical, but the government in general, and the VA in particular aren't very competent...

He was probably TOLD to make it 4,000 lol. Joe's not actually the one in charge, clearly lol. (He's pretty much told us as much at his sad excuses for press conferences. They're just called that for appearances; one shouldn't actually expect Joe to CONFER with anybody LOL. XD

• Forum Moderator

@Charlize I will agree with what you have been told. All my care that I have received from the VA since I started going there. I have zero complaints. In regards to my transition it is the same. At the VA I am treated with the respect a lady deserves. I can use what ever bathroom I chose. Again mostly the ladies. I have an assigned GYN who is fantastic. I am referred in the proper female nouns, and Ms, Miss.

Next time I visit my GYN I will as her what the VA is actually doing and what they may offer. I know that they will do an Oci . But I would like top surgery before bottom. Maybe FFS. I will report what I find.

Kymmie

I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I admit this could be fantastic if it plays out.  I always assumed this was totally out of reach.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:08 AM, Marcie Jensen said:

…the government in general, and the VA in particular aren't very competent...

948DD842-9BA2-4B9B-BF24-86A3B020AC56.jpeg

7 hours ago, KymmieL said:

@Charlize I will agree with what you have been told. All my care that I have received from the VA since I started going there. I have zero complaints. In regards to my transition it is the same. At the VA I am treated with the respect a lady deserves. I can use what ever bathroom I chose. Again mostly the ladies. I have an assigned GYN who is fantastic. I am referred in the proper female nouns, and Ms, Miss.

Next time I visit my GYN I will as her what the VA is actually doing and what they may offer. I know that they will do an Oci . But I would like top surgery before bottom. Maybe FFS. I will report what I find.

Kymmie

You have a GYN and haven’t had bottom surgery yet?

Should I have one? What does your GYN do for you?

Sorry to be all nosy. You can ignore me totally or PM me if you want to.

7 hours ago, Jandi said:

I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I admit this could be fantastic if it plays out.  I always assumed this was totally out of reach.

Fantastic based on how they implement it. I’m not sure I want the VA being in charge of that particular surgery.

I’m not looking to be “Hedwig and The Angry Inch” over here.

• Forum Moderator

@Phoenix no problem. my GYN is prescribing/monitoring my HRT, now. She helped me get HRT. With my history of blood clots, she worked with my endo, phlebotomist, and the anti coagulation team to get me on hormones.

I was actually shocked when I got the call wanting to get me an appointment with the Woman's Clinic. Her and her staff are fantastic. Any question or concerns are answered, straight and honest. No gov BS.

You may want to check with your primary medical provider.

Kymmie

On 9/5/2021 at 6:11 AM, KymmieL said:

@Phoenix no problem. my GYN is prescribing/monitoring my HRT, now. She helped me get HRT. With my history of blood clots, she worked with my endo, phlebotomist, and the anti coagulation team to get me on hormones.

I was actually shocked when I got the call wanting to get me an appointment with the Woman's Clinic. Her and her staff are fantastic. Any question or concerns are answered, straight and honest. No gov BS.

You may want to check with your primary medical provider.

Kymmie

That’s interesting, thank you. I just went straight from the LGBT coordinator to the transition counselor and on to endocrinology.

I might be completely wrong but since this is all new territory (the surgeries) for the VA system, I'm guessing they will contract it out kinda like Kaiser does for me. They authorise you to see someone out of network who does stuff they don't do in house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 4:19 AM, Bri2020 said:

I might be completely wrong but since this is all new territory (the surgeries) for the VA system, I'm guessing they will contract it out kinda like Kaiser does for me. They authorise you to see someone out of network who does stuff they don't do in house.

I sure hope so. But I’m also signing up for Medicare in November. I understand Medicare covers all necessary surgeries. So I figure either way, I’ll get what I need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I know I have seen Dr. outside the VA. Dermatologist, Urologist, and Cardiologist. All at no cost to me. With my therapist leaving and moving to TX. I have asked her to do a care in the community consult. 

They might just do the same for transition related surgeries. I am wondering what happens if I get on the list for a surgery and the idiot in the white house changes will that make the list null and void?

Kymmie

12 hours ago, KymmieL said:

I am wondering what happens if I get on the list for a surgery and the idiot in the white house changes will that make the list null and void?

I'm kinda expecting this actually, considering the target on our backs these days.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Gotta say that I agree with Jandi. I guess this makes me a cynic, but hey, we seem to be electing idiots with greater and greater frequency these days.