• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Therapist Interview Tomorrow—nervous

Davie

Therapist Bye Bye.

So instead of gender therapy twice a month, I had it every week for three months. That ended today. Sad to see her go. She was wonderful. I'll get a new therapist in two weeks—she seems so so. Too young, Too cool, Too  uncommunicative.  Oh well—lucky to have someone at a very stressful time. One small step at a time.

— Davie

• Forum Moderator

Hang in there - you are brave and special - 

Feeling like I lost my best friend. Didn't think a gender therapist who I only spoke to on video chat could mean so much to me. But I told her everything—even things I could hardly tell myself I told to her. Things I can't tell anyone else. She allowed me the safe context to allow my honesty and vulnerability and I took advantage of that and it changed me to others and to myself. Now even my family and close friends don't know. If I don't know I can't even say what my therapist understood about me. I suppose this end was always going to happen and that I'll be taken care of in another context in the future. This loss is part of the process . . . is not how I feel right now, but I hope I'll come to accept it.

Thanks for listening,

—Davie

• 2 weeks later...

And so the game of musical (or not-so-musical) therapists goes on—start the music! Don't tell me if it's going to be sad music or glad music or symphonic music or hip hop. It's all a mystery the way my past and present is my mystery today.

I'm seeing a new therapist today, a gender therapist with very little experience. Who knows? It does make me nervous because I came to rely on my previous therapists so much. My fears and anxieties are so diverse I need someone fabulous to hold me together, it seems. Maybe not. Going to have to trust this like I trust the world to keep me from homelessness and penniless-ness. I have to remember that this too will pass. It's a naturally stressful time for me so I'm doing one day at a time, one therapist at a time. Taking deep breaths and putting each step and word out there today.

Thanks for your support,

Davie

So apparently I've survived my first encounter with a new therapist—and so has she. It's a little odd. She's about 22 years old, it's her first gig, and she's timid and passive. Do you think I should try to "train" her to involve herself more deeply in my situation? Maybe she'll come around in time. I've got some difficult things to talk about, so I need someone who'll hang in there with me. On the other hand she really pays attention—I complemented her on that (using some honey rather than vinegar). I'm hoping she uses that youthful enthusiasm to connect a little more. Glad to have someone who cares and tries to understand in any case.

Thanks,

Davie

1 hour ago, Davie said:

Do you think I should try to "train" her to involve herself more deeply in my situation? Maybe she'll come around in time. I've got some difficult things to talk about, so I need someone who'll hang in there with me.

As she's a good listener, and you've got specific difficult things you want/need to discuss, what if you were to outline those topics for her, as a way of setting and steering the upcoming sessions?

Best wishes,

Astrid 

• Forum Moderator

Good advice. I try to list things that are really weighing me down to focus therapy if I can.