• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans woman left with fractured eye socket after horrific attack. She just wanted to walk her dog

• Admin

That's horrific.  I hope that the perps are quickly arrested and prosecuted.  This is all-too-common.  I carry self protection, but when attacks come that quickly, it would be hard to prevent.

Carolyn Marie

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, Mmindy said:

This is so sad that we can’t even walk our dogs. Always stay 360• aware and carry a self defense item. I carry a nice sturdy walking ? cane. 

Stay safe,

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/23/trans-woman-wyoming-dog-park/

I carry a gun. Much more important though is having years of martial arts training. An attack can happen pretty fast and you'll need to evade or escape, counter attack, then pull your weapon while they are momentarily distracted with the tweety birds and stars flying around their head. 

Preferably pull a gun on them instead of a walking can. Unless that cane is tested for combat, it will probably break if you swing it as hard as you can up against an attackers skull, (doing so as if to swing through his skull. Do not "stop" the swing upon making contact. ...The goal should be to make their head explode hahaha.)

...So then you'd have a broken stick. You may be able to try to stab them with it, but if they have a leather jacket on, it probably will not be sharp enough to penetrate. By that point, your attacker will be very upset about getting clocked upside the head and will be pulling out a knife or a gun. If they pull a knife, you are going to really wish you had a gun and could attack them at range until they stop pursuing you. If they pull a gun, you are going to feel really silly holding half a broken walking gain, and perhaps your last thought on this Earth before they shoot you would be something along the lines of, "Gee...I really wished I had a gun right about now!"

So yeahhh...please...I beg of you: ...DITCH THE CANE! ?

Take it from a cowgirl: Guns are better haha. ?

PS: Krav Maga is fantastic for real world self defense tactics on the street, and it's designed to be learned quickly by all different sizes and shapes of people because it was designed for the Israeli military and in Israel it is mandatory for all citizens to serve two years in the armed forces...which is why every country who has tried to mess with Israel ends up getting merdercated. ?....Sorry to burst the bubble of any Christians out there, but sadly no...it is not because they are the chosen people of God haha. It is because they all have to carry their guns on them as required by Israeli law, and all of them have years of extensive military training...talk about peace through strength hahaha. Mess with them at your own peril! ?

But yeah...they use krav maga when they run out of bullets hehehe. Krav maga is super brutal and super effective. There are no krav maga weapons because krav maga teaches you to take the weapons from your enemy and use them against them haha. (And it assumes you already have a gun with you anyway, but for whatever reason cannot or will not use it...because only silly people have NO guns on them! ? ) 

• Forum Moderator

The sick folks who do these crimes have been given political support recently.  While self defense is great the climate of hate, fear and stress caused by thugs like this can best be handled by a change in the attitudes in society.  I applaud this poor woman for living openly as herself even though she was injured.  I do hope the local police will be the ones who quickly make an example of the stock guys who display such hate.  

Hugs,

Charlize

2 hours ago, Charlize said:

The sick folks who do these crimes have been given political support recently. 

What? By who? When? Where? How? Why??? ?

While self defense is great the climate of hate, fear and stress caused by thugs like this can best be handled by a change in the attitudes in society.

Well said! ?

I applaud this poor woman for living openly as herself even though she was injured. 

Most definitely. I am way too terrified of people. Even before starting transition. ?

I do hope the local police will be the ones who quickly make an example of the stock guys who display such hate.  

Right?! I had that exact thought too and wanted to find out more about the case. But for some reason, I cannot find a single article anywhere on the web where she actually mentions the perps actual names. The articles always say she just calls them "a neighbor" and "his friend". There are like half a dozen or more articles on it, most referencing a Go Fund Me page for Rilee at the end of it...now...I am sure it is just because I have had a lifetime of trauma and consequently some deep-seated trust issues, at times bordering on paranoia...but this story feels kind of weird to me...anybody else? That could also just be because incidents like this never really happen here in Montana. ....Probably because the transgirl would blow them away with her six-shooter if they tried hahahaha. ? 

I hope the police catch the guys who did this. Not sure of the state of law enforcement or gun control in Casper? ?

1 hour ago, Nora said:

but this story feels kind of weird to me...anybody else?

i read the article also and there does seem to be questions. she and her family believe the attack 'may' have been motivated by trans hate. well maybe it's true or maybe not. these go fund me pages that quickly get set up for various things sometimes make me wonder too. maybe the motivation for the whole story was to get funding? she obviously did have injuries from something but from what? plus this story is published in something called the 'pink news' which may have some kind of agenda. so i tend to agree with you. thank you. :)  

22 hours ago, April-Showers said:

i read the article also and there does seem to be questions. she and her family believe the attack 'may' have been motivated by trans hate. well maybe it's true or maybe not. these go fund me pages that quickly get set up for various things sometimes make me wonder too. maybe the motivation for the whole story was to get funding? she obviously did have injuries from something but from what? plus this story is published in something called the 'pink news' which may have some kind of agenda. so i tend to agree with you. thank you. :)  

Oh my god thank you thank you thank you! I was a bit scared to death I was losing my mind and finally going paranoid with all the horrible crap that has happened to my life over the past few weeks hahahaha. ??

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:13 AM, Charlize said:

The sick folks who do these crimes have been given political support recently.  While self defense is great the climate of hate, fear and stress caused by thugs like this can best be handled by a change in the attitudes in society.  I applaud this poor woman for living openly as herself even though she was injured.  I do hope the local police will be the ones who quickly make an example of the stock guys who display such hate.  

Hugs,

Charlize

She’s definitely cemented the choice I made recently. As certain… “developments” caused me to decide (a little sooner than I thought) to switch my public presentation to female, when I saw her story about… 30 minutes ago or so, I decided “Screw anyone who has a problem with me. I’m going to be me.”

In another thread, someone brought up Texas disparagingly in relation to how living while “out” here is a death sentence.

But in the article referenced in this thread is the incredibly disgusting line:

She told the Billings Gazette that she came out as trans “a little over four years ago” and was “made aware of a saying” that Wyoming doesn’t “take offence to gays, we take gays to fences”.

No doubt a reference to Mathew Wayne Shepard’s death in 1998. 

People think Texas is a redneck haven of hate and brutality toward our community, but it’s not. Sure, there are places we’d be wise not to go, but it’s not the entire state. It’s… pockets of stupidity. 

I’ve met just as many “straights” encouraging me to be who I am as I have people within our community.

Of course Texas did get an F rating in regards to things like ease of legal name and gender change, but within that F rating, it says all we need is a court order to change both. And there are tons of legal groups who specialize in exactly those kinds of court orders. I just hired mine to the tune of $600 and once I gather the necessary letters, finger prints, etc., my legal name and gender marker change will take roughly 90 days. And I only came out (the second time) last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 12:47 AM, Phoenix said:

She’s definitely cemented the choice I made recently. As certain… “developments” caused me to decide (a little sooner than I thought) to switch my public presentation to female, when I saw her story about… 30 minutes ago or so, I decided “Screw anyone who has a problem with me. I’m going to be me.”

In another thread, someone brought up Texas disparagingly in relation to how living while “out” here is a death sentence.

But in the article referenced in this thread is the incredibly disgusting line:

She told the Billings Gazette that she came out as trans “a little over four years ago” and was “made aware of a saying” that Wyoming doesn’t “take offence to gays, we take gays to fences”.

No doubt a reference to Mathew Wayne Shepard’s death in 1998. 

People think Texas is a redneck haven of hate and brutality toward our community, but it’s not. Sure, there are places we’d be wise not to go, but it’s not the entire state. It’s… pockets of stupidity. 

I’ve met just as many “straights” encouraging me to be who I am as I have people within our community.

Of course Texas did get an F rating in regards to things like ease of legal name and gender change, but within that F rating, it says all we need is a court order to change both. And there are tons of legal groups who specialize in exactly those kinds of court orders. I just hired mine to the tune of $600 and once I gather the necessary letters, finger prints, etc., my legal name and gender marker change will take roughly 90 days. And I only came out (the second time) last year.

People try to say that stuff about Montana too, just not quite as successfully as when it comes to Texas lol (Poor Texas; y'all get such a bad rap lol.) I dunno why Montana doesn't get beat up on as much; we have lotsa cowboys and rednecks here too lol. It's basically Texas, just smaller and colder with moderately better transgender policies lol. 

I'm thinking I wanna go to Colorado eventually; it seems like a perfect blend in most parts outside of the big liberal cities where cops are illegal and criminals are the real victim lol. XD

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, Nora said:

I carry a gun. Much more important though is having years of martial arts training. An attack can happen pretty fast and you'll need to evade or escape, counter attack, then pull your weapon while they are momentarily distracted with the tweety birds and stars flying around their head. 

Preferably pull a gun on them instead of a walking can. Unless that cane is tested for combat, it will probably break if you swing it as hard as you can up against an attackers skull, (doing so as if to swing through his skull. Do not "stop" the swing upon making contact. ...The goal should be to make their head explode hahaha.)

...So then you'd have a broken stick. You may be able to try to stab them with it, but if they have a leather jacket on, it probably will not be sharp enough to penetrate. By that point, your attacker will be very upset about getting clocked upside the head and will be pulling out a knife or a gun. If they pull a knife, you are going to really wish you had a gun and could attack them at range until they stop pursuing you. If they pull a gun, you are going to feel really silly holding half a broken walking gain, and perhaps your last thought on this Earth before they shoot you would be something along the lines of, "Gee...I really wished I had a gun right about now!"

So yeahhh...please...I beg of you: ...DITCH THE CANE! ?

Take it from a cowgirl: Guns are better haha. ?

PS: Krav Maga is fantastic for real world self defense tactics on the street, and it's designed to be learned quickly by all different sizes and shapes of people because it was designed for the Israeli military and in Israel it is mandatory for all citizens to serve two years in the armed forces...which is why every country who has tried to mess with Israel ends up getting merdercated. ?....Sorry to burst the bubble of any Christians out there, but sadly no...it is not because they are the chosen people of God haha. It is because they all have to carry their guns on them as required by Israeli law, and all of them have years of extensive military training...talk about peace through strength hahaha. Mess with them at your own peril! ?

But yeah...they use krav maga when they run out of bullets hehehe. Krav maga is super brutal and super effective. There are no krav maga weapons because krav maga teaches you to take the weapons from your enemy and use them against them haha. (And it assumes you already have a gun with you anyway, but for whatever reason cannot or will not use it...because only silly people have NO guns on them! ? ) 

Regardless of your weapon situational awareness and practice is important.  If you are using a gun get proper training. No matter what you are using, get proper training. 

If you can't use a gun here are some things I like. 

See the source image

This bad boy can penetrate an attacker's skull and give him a much needed prefrontal lobotomy for free.

#shillelagh from Batshit Insane

Irish eyes will be smilin when the punk's brains are scrambled by a few strokes from this shillelagh.

See the source image

These pens are a good option because you can grab them quickly and the perp might not even know you are holding it. These will penetrate the skull and they can take out both eyes.

If the criminal justice system doesn't do it's job some folks may consider DIY justice.  I an neither advocating that or discouraging DIY justice. I will say that if I were on a the jury of someone accused of taking the law into their own hands, I'd vote not guilty.

Pepper spray works but it can blow back at you. The stuff civilians can buy is weaker than what the police have. 

I've always been a big fan of the tomahawk but you'd get stopped by the cops if you were carrying one of them.

Getting a concealed carry licence is a good thing. There are some very good concealed carry hand guns. I would recommend a hammerless revolver loaded with hollow point rounds. Learn the self defense techniques for when using a handgun and practice them.

I'm not a fan of martial arts style self defense. In my younger days I was in a lot of fights. I came up against kids who had had years of karate. It didn't help them at all. That said, if you were on your high school wrestling team, you'll probably come out on top in a fight with most punks.

When anyone is battered in a hate crime, the name and address of the punk should be released by the media. Those who attack Asians and LGBTQ for instance are terrorists. IMO, terrorists have no honor and no redeeming value. 

See the source image

I have a knife and a gun; (years of training in martial arts, combat shooting, and military sciences; plus years of firefighting; we only used guns at work occasionally though lol; during the wildland assignments...mostly lol.)

I don't have a much room left for other weapons, plus I'm kinda leary of less-than-lethal weaponry; guns and knives are waaay scarier and have a much higher chance of stopping a fight before it even has a chance to begin; I detest fighting lol.

Sorry to say, reading threads like this—the comments as much as the original post—make me happy to be living outside the States and scared to visit.

• Forum Moderator

There are certainly places and people in this country where life is more difficult for trans folks or others who do not "fit".  Unfortunately bullies are universally present and make life difficult.  Fortunately society has made progress.  Living with fear that requires the need for self defense is not a particularly strong indication of a  civilized world.  I don't want to use a knife and gun except as they are needed on the farm.

Hugs,

Charlize

3 hours ago, Charlize said:

There are certainly places and people in this country where life is more difficult for trans folks or others who do not "fit".  Unfortunately bullies are universally present and make life difficult.  Fortunately society has made progress.  

Indeed; I'm particularly self-conscious here in the Flathead surrounded by full-on "traditional" right-wing cowboy types lol. Ran into a few "bullies" walking the streets at night, (I'm nocturnal lol), but for some baffling reason, whenever I brush my coat back to flash my gun at them, they decide they wanna be friendly all of a sudden and we respectfully head our separate ways. Funny how that works! Hehehe. XD An armed society is a polite society! I'd probably have gotten my ass whooped and murdered ten times over by now if I wasn't armed and dangerous lol. It's like a big ol' flashing neon sign to ne'er-do-wells everywhere: CHOOSE SOMEONE ELSE!  ?

Never understood the push to outlaw guns; if guns were outlawed, then only outlaws would have guns, leaving the rest of us law-abiding folk to be dependent on a prejudiced government for safety and security, and I don't trust them for a second lmao.

3 hours ago, Charlize said:

Living with fear that requires the need for self defense is not a particularly strong indication of a  civilized world.  I don't want to use a knife and gun except as they are needed on the farm.

Hugs,

Charlize

...Whatever could have possibly given you the idea that we live in a civilized world? ?
Sadly, we don't. We never have, and we never will. Human beings are little different than any other animal. We all eat, sleep, pee, poop, hunt, kill, fight and mark our territories like primal dogs, and when we die, our flesh rots into the Earth the same way as cattle. We aren't nearly as superior as most humans would like to think we are. We aren't special. ...Making the mistake of thinking we are can get you killed by a wolf...the four-legged kind, or the two-legged-kind. 

...ALL the world is a farm; think of it that way LOL. XD

So-called-civilized society has always followed the Laws of the Jungle; we've just dressed it up and pretend we won't throw the book out the window just as soon as the chips are down and the primates start throwing their feces everywhere lmao. ?

I'll say it again: Human beings are animals lol. NEVER forget that! XD

On 9/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, Sometimes Chrissie said:

Those who attack Asians and LGBTQ for instance are terrorists. IMO, terrorists have no honor and no redeeming value. 

See the source image

That last sentence and the picture quote you posted seem to be at odds with each other. You said those who attack Asians and LGBTQ are terrorists, but the pic says “terror is nothing more than justice.” That’s quite a mixed message.

• Admin

While we need to be aware of violence against us, it is still not all that common and our goals are to live life  peacefully and without stress of having to wear full assault armor and armament in daily life.  I was involved in Law Enforcement for 40 years so I do know what can go on without resorting to a feverish imagination.  The purpose of this post was to make us aware and active and not to start shooting wars by ourselves.  The very best defense to all of this is to become educators to our friends and communities.  Any more posts about committing violence, even in response to attacks, and we will shut the topic down.  I personally think we have "beaten" this one to death.

Oh yes, the Meme about terrorism is a quote by Maximilian Robespierre.  Know what happened to him??  He lost his head by guillotine in the French Revolution.  

• Root Admin

Any more posts about committing violence, even in response to attacks, and we will shut the topic down.  I personally think we have "beaten" this one to death.

Agreed.

18 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Thank you, Phoenix, for reminding me to keep things in perspective. Personally, I’m still scared of hearing that I might need to physically protect myself, mainly because I feel completely incapable of doing so and prefer to just avoid those types of situations. Here in Japan the challenges and problems are much more subtle. Not feeling socially accepted, dealing with backward laws and restrictions, family struggles, and the constant pressure to conform all weigh heavily on LGBT people here. I’m mostly reassured when talking to young people, who tend to be much more open-minded and accepting than their elders. I have the same sense when talking with Americans. We need the young to save us.

9 hours ago, VickySGV said:

While we need to be aware of violence against us, it is still not all that common and our goals are to live life  peacefully and without stress of having to wear full assault armor and armament in daily life. 

Full assault armor is too impractical hehe; I prefer soft streamlined armor personally, pictured in the upper-left hand corner of the picture below. The base layer is actually a thermo-regulating suit made out of thermocules which capture and store your body heat when you're getting to hot, cooling you down, but if you start getting too cold, it releases all the stored energy back to you, warming you up...it keeps the hot stuff hot and keeps the cool stuff cool lol. Very syfy. XD 

Next would come the IIIA covert ballistic vest with stab and spike protection to protect against knives and shrapnel, then the D3O base layer pants and top. D3O is a phase-change material which remains flexible at rest, but upon impact, the molecules reallign and it becomes rigid, dispersing the kinetic energy across the rest rest of your body. Next would come the kevlar anti-slash sleeves to protect your forearms and wrists from being slashed open in a knife fight...or some freak industrial accident lol.

The kevlar shirt and long johns go over all of the above to smooth everything over and make it blend in, then the street clothes go over that (always use boring earth tone colors that won't attract attention; real big on Gray Wo/man Tactics; avoiding conflict is always the priority, but it's good to always be prepared! ....Boy scouts and I have that in common lol. XD

Gray_Woman_Ensemble.thumb.jpg.dfebe2e289bd9c581f43c0e992a7b0dc.jpg

Oh, and the scarf is made of kevlar too. Looks cute and fashionable, ALSO protects your throat from being slit hehehe. XD 

Can't be too careful! XD

• Admin

This post was about one terrible attack against a trans woman.  That it's devolved into a discussion of survivalist tactics and military style protective gear is sad and uncalled for, IMO.  Lets try and keep this in perspective, realizing that there are perhaps 100-200 serious attacks annually in a population of well over 3 million (est).  If we were a city of that size, that would be an enviable crime rate.  There have been many threads about self protection over the years.  This thread wasn't meant to be one.

Carolyn Marie

2 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

This post was about one terrible attack against a trans woman.  That it's devolved into a discussion of survivalist tactics and military style protective gear is sad and uncalled for, IMO.  Lets try and keep this in perspective, realizing that there are perhaps 100-200 serious attacks annually in a population of well over 3 million (est).  If we were a city of that size, that would be an enviable crime rate.  There have been many threads about self protection over the years.  This thread wasn't meant to be one.

Carolyn Marie

Sorry...but the original post of this thread was clearly about more than just that. We've established it's tragic. Logically, the natural progression of the discussion gravitated towards possible solutions. ...I'm sorry if you're offended by that...but in your above response, you essentially proved my point already lol. There are very valid reasons for being prepared for violence and chaos in this world, especially for us. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, Mmindy said:

This is so sad that we can’t even walk our dogs. Always stay 360• aware and carry a self defense item. I carry a nice sturdy walking ? cane. 

Stay safe,

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/23/trans-woman-wyoming-dog-park/

^^^See? Clearly appears to talk about more than just a singular tragic attack. But maybe I'm wrong; maybe we should just wallow in the sad hard truths about the evils and dangers of this world instead of working towards overcoming them; evolving, so to speak. Adapt to survive.

...That's just how my personal experiences in life have wired me to think and behave; I can't change that...and I don't wanna. =P

• VickySGV locked this topic