• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Another Project to Keep Me Busy

Robin.C

Thank you.

My thoughts are getting a bit crowded lately. So many things on the go at once.

And I felt I'm rushing doing all these projects rather than taking my time so I'm not so stressed out.

I know I'll be able to do this once I've fully transitioned and during I just need to relax and take it easy.

Though I haven't before  ... hmmm.

Anyhow work is going crazy at the moment, weeks of fieldwork and reports needing to be done asap.

And I'm trying to organise getting the front house painted after having new windows installed to replace the old rotten ones. 

Feels all too much at the moment, however I just keep doing stuff,one step at a time.

It would be nice to get a decent night's sleep though.

Never mind me, stay safe everyone.

Hugs

Robyn

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin.C

• Jani

• Charlize

• Cyndee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

I know how my projects sometimes seem to take on a life of their own.  They demand my attention trying to take my focus away from the routine workaround the farm and home.  Letting go can be difficult but by remembering that they will be done in time and dropping them instead of carrying all that extra worry.  I try to "drop the rock", trying not to hit my toe or the project i have to set aside.  The emphasis here is on the "try" in the previous sentence.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I seem to be the most productive when the plate is full.  Remember to slow down and enjoy the things you do for fun.  Get that benefit of savoring your time with them.  The house type projects are like work.  They need to be done and I try not to get emotional over them.  

Hugs, Jani

• 2 weeks later...

Yay .. finally got the masking tape and cream paint to try and redo the binding strip around the top of the guitar.

I have been going crazy on the speaker cabinet while I waited to afford the paint and tape.

Hugs

Robyn

001_TP_27022022_Front Pic.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 2:49 AM, Jani said:

I seem to be the most productive when the plate is full.

Aaaargh ... I get so focused and forget about reality.

It was partly things weighing on my mind.

As I mentioned in another post I've done something about it so I can move forward.

Hugs

Robin

Thank you all for the support and wonder comments it does keep me grounded.

Not much to report on the projects.

I have started spraying the clear after finishing the black and sides and cream sudo binding strip (since you might remember i stuffed the real stuff up).

Also got the waterslide transfer for the neck. So i was able to spray the head and sand a nice spot of the transfer to go.

Now the clear coats are going on the headstock as well.

Maybe in a few weeks it will all be dry and cured enough to do the first finishing sand. There will still be another couple of clear coats to go on after that and then the final sand and polish.

The finishing part is so tedious and so frustrating, much like transitioning 😉

Hugs

Robyn

• Forum Moderator

I can commiserate about the tediousness of the last mile when doing projects.  Progress seems to be slow.  But keep faith and don't rush it.  It will look great. 

Hugs, 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I am amazed you are getting as much done as you are as you come out at work and keep up with life.  

Hugs,

Charlize

So been working on stuff, clearing up the garden and getting ready for green waste day.

In between work and house I managed to get my Marshall 1960A tribute on its wheels. Next is to fit the rear panel sand center brace.

The guitar is still waiting for the clear coats to cure before I can start sanding.

I'm also having a conundrum trying to figure out what amp I can use for the bass and the cabinet. I have a really really cheap 15W guitar combo that I was going to try to start with though I suspect running a bass through it might not work terribly well.

Either a dedicated amp head like the TC Electronic BAM200 or a Fender Rumble combo either the Studio 40 or LT25.

Any ways I hope you are all well.

Hugs

Robyn

002_TP_15032022_On wheels.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon. I have been going a bit stir crazy here, what with having to isolate waiting for COVID PCR test to come back (it turned out negative, so i just had a damned cold).

Well as every girl knows to the best way to feel better is retail therapy.

So apart from some nice cardies (cardigans to more proper English speakers 🤣) I went on a music binge.

As some of you may have seen I'm building a bass guitar and 4x10 speaker cabinet.

WELL it turns out the 15W practice amp I modified with an external speaker plug won't run the 4x10. SO i needed to find a way to connect my cabinet (not finished yet) to the guitar (not finished yet).

Thus I now have a 500W BQ500 amplifier. And oops a Behringer amp modelling pedal. And an octave pedal. And sundry cables. Oh and I accidentally bought a cheap practice bass, oops.

Do I feel better ? Yes a little, throat doesn't feel full of razorblades, head still feels woozy. Other than that okayish.

I hope everyone else is feeling okay.

Lotsa hugs

Robyn

TP_001_Practice_Mar 2022.jpg

• Forum Moderator

Well that sounds like fun!  (not the raspy throat)  You've got plenty to keep you busy now!  

Cheers, Jani

• Forum Moderator

i hope the vibrations share the cold away.  Keep on rock'n and get to work on those other projects 😄

Hugs,

Charlize

Why can't I leave well alone ?

Ordered a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup as it was on special. Now we wait for the neck pickup to be on special .. LOL.

After listening to SO many Youtube videos I also ordered a set of flatwound Super Slinkys for the bass.

Also having a rest today. Throat is still like swallowing razor-blades and fingers are a bit sore from practicing.

How long does it take to grow callouses for playing bass !?

No picture to show, however the speaker cabinet baffle has been covered with cloth and the logo fitted. It went well considering I'd never done that before.

Hugs

Robyn

• Forum Moderator

When is the first concert?

Feel better soon!

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Sorry to read about your throat.  I hope you get well soon.  That P/U sounds cool.  I like flat wound strings.  They have a warm sound to them.  As to callouses I don't play enough plus I use a pick every so often.

Get well,

Jani

• 4 weeks later...

Well its Sunday morning here. I got up early so I feel I need a nanna nap about now. So of course I'm posting ... LOL

An update on the Hoffy. Waiting on some fret oil before I string it. I have installed the pickups, tailpiece and saddle. I still have to finish up the controls. So a week or two should see it finished. I still can't play bass ... yet ;)

The solid state amp and valve amp I'm building are on hold, due to needing to buy a new water heater and the money has to come from somewhere. Sadly its my music fund.

Anyhow the speaker cabinet is progressing. Doesn't the final finishing take the longest. Filler, primer then sand. Find more places that need filler then prime again. And round and round. That's nearly done so I will be able to cover it not with Tolex as I couldn't afford it so I will use marine vinyl. It has the same pattern just a little bit thicker.

For the musicians amongst us I have bought and received my new pickups, saddle,bridge and flatwound strings for the bass I bought. So I can get the Motown sound. Being a jazz bass and not a P bass should make a huge amount of difference ... I hope.

Pictures will be forthcoming when I get the Hoffy strung up :D

So I hope you all are keeping safe and well.

Hugs

Robyn

• Forum Moderator

I can fully understand the nap time thing!  Some days it's hard to resist.🥱

Great progress on the Bass. It's going to sound cool.  Sorry about the water heater but I can certainly relate to that happening at the worse times.  

Cheers, 

Jani

At the start of May, finally managed to shake the sore throat.

The water heater is hanging in there, so saving some extra monies so I can get the plumber to install instead of having to do it myself.

And so we are on the final stretch with speaker cabinet .. I hope.

My first ever try at fitting grill cloth, came out okay. The picture really doesn't do it justice. It really does look like the old speaker grille on my parents 3-in-1 stereo from the 70s. Gives me a nice nostalgic feeling, still miss my dad.

The last picture is of the final primer coat to protect the MDF and chipboard from moisture.

Nearly time to add the vinyl covering and white piping around the inside of the front opening.

Wish me luck.

Hugs

Robyn

003_TP_04052022_Baffle.jpg

004_TP_04052022_Final primer Coat.jpg

• Forum Moderator

You have such great patience as you move towards the completion of this project.  It's looking great.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I agree, you are so methodical in building this cabinet.  Great!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Today I present the final but one post for this project. The Hoffy is complete and plays. Surprised me as well :D

The water-slide decal on the head stock came out very lovely, as did the oiling of the fret-board. I was a bit nervous about the final wiring I need not have been. It came out lovely, and sounds as funky as a real Hofner Bass. The dry transfer lettering was a bit of a pain. It keeps the vintage look though with its wonky letters and missing bits.

I am super happy with the way it has turned out and everyone who has been able to see in person and play it thinks so as well. I'm still trying to figure a way to record a sample for you all. That will be the final for the project.

I will add another post when i finally finish the 4x10 cabinet. Its been put on hold until the cold weather has gone so wrapping the outer cabinet glue doesn't need so much artificial heat to get it to cure.

I bought a Fender Rumble LT25 to play my basses through until the cabinet is finished.

Anyhow, stay warm/cool wherever in the world you are.

Hugs Robyn

055_Jun 2022_dry fretboard.jpg

056_Jun 2022_oiled fretboard.jpg

057_jun 2022_lettering control panel.jpg

058_Jun 2022_lettered fretboard.jpg

059_Jun 2022_control panel final installation.jpg

060_Jun 2022_finished Hoffy.jpg

Gorgeous! Lots of fine work here. Wish I could play it. Congrats on persevering to the end. Next? 

— Davie

• Forum Moderator

What a fun project !! That bass looks so cool Robyn, excellent work. 

Hugs

Cyndee

• Forum Moderator

That is so cool looking @Robin.C.  Love it!  

What name did you put on the headstock?

Jani