• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What is your most difficult struggle with being trans, parent/spouse/sign. other of someone trans?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, Jamie68 said:

There are NO unimportant jobs.

I don't know. I've never really held a job where I felt like I was contributing something that mattered. I've been replaced by automation twice, worked in quality control, for a company that made parts for conveyer belts and then advertising. Right now I'm working for a predatory company that mistreats its workers, violates labor laws and just generally does the minimum required while it rakes in money from the state. I'm kind of disillusioned.

Hugs!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie68

• Jackie C.

• Nora

• Heather Shay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

I don't know. I've never really held a job where I felt like I was contributing something that mattered. I've been replaced by automation twice, worked in quality control, for a company that made parts for conveyer belts and then advertising. Right now I'm working for a predatory company that mistreats its workers, violates labor laws and just generally does the minimum required while it rakes in money from the state. I'm kind of disillusioned.

Hugs!

Well crap. I don't know how to respond to this. You're important to us.?

@Jackie C.

I know how to respond to this. You are important to us. How important is someone who understands your pain, can help you look it in the eye, gives you good counsel, and then gives you hugs? Feel proud, dear. Be proud.

hugs,

Davie

As a non-binary person, it's difficult when (most) cisgender people feel discomfort if you don't appear to pass as either gender.  It's almost as if they want you to pass as M or F to make *them* feel more comfortable.  

Astrid

I collected garbage for over 30 years.  The pay was crap, but I realized it was one of those "essential jobs."  

I used to joke that I was only in it for the prestige.

I did work my way up to driving the truck, but that was a lot less fun.

It's gross, but meh.   I can eat a sandwich while watching several pounds of maggots doing their thing.

@Jackie C.- Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum.

ell I will say I DO have an important and essential job working for an airlines in the GSE department. Without people like me there would be no equipment able to be used to make sure you and your baggage make it to where you are heading.

• Forum Moderator
11 hours ago, Davie said:

Be proud.

Oh no, I AM proud of the work I do here. It's just what I do for money... Making a rich -censored- a richer -censored-... disheartening.

Hugs!

3 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Oh no, I AM proud of the work I do here. It's just what I do for money... Making a rich -censored- a richer -censored-... disheartening

I e thought about that a fair bit in my life. In the Air Farce I was responsible for defending funding for multi million dollar command and control communications systems and modifications to the systems to satisfy operational needs. I wrote background papers and staff summary sheets justifying the mission impact and cost. As a young junior officer I brought up questions of conscience on occasion in how the value could be justified at the taxpayer level, seeing that I was a taxpayer myself. Dangerous thing to do in a headquarters full of ambition. One answer I got that stuck with me for some reason was “somewhere a baby is being fed.” Meaning that people were employed and supporting families even if the program came to nothing after years of development and funding.

it seems to me that the work we do and mission we are engaged in is like the body with many different parts. We can rejoice in the destination we reach because our legs took us there without knowing much about the blood supply or money or fuel system that was needed to move the legs.

Money seems to have a life of its own in organizations of all sorts. Some people focus on it and appear to do well. Some focus on the destination. Money is a necessary evenly. Without it the baby doesn’t get fed. But if you focus on it, we’ll let’s say I get squeamish at the sight of too much blood!!

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, AgnesBardsie said:

One answer I got that stuck with me for some reason was “somewhere a baby is being fed.”

Yeah, not helpful with any organization I've ever worked for. Money goes directly into the pocket of the owners and his cronies. Those of us at the wage-slave level? We can't afford BABIES. Those things are expensive!

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

Those of us at the wage-slave level?

I’ve always tried to focus on the mission or vision of the organizations I’ve joined. I found that every job I’ve had, no matter how menial the work, I could find a way to show how what I did lined up with the overall mission and could use that to justify a higher pay. The hard part for me was getting my hands bloody to use an analogy. Touching the filthy lucre so to speak, knowing that others would also or could also grab the idea and the money before I could justify it. I was not very good at the politics but I did manage to work on a portfolio of accomplishments that I could take to any boss and say “I bring value to this job. I deserve more money. Don’t you agree.” Definitely not something that came naturally to me and did not enjoy the feeling of having to justify my existence especially if I didn’t totally respect the boss. But I took satisfaction from knowing that I made a difference, and I could prove it if I had to. it’s how capitalism works.

An alternative is for some government bureaucrat to determine what each job is worth and then that’s all you’ll ever make. Ugly as capitalism is, I prefer my chances there than in a top down controlled system. At least I have a shot at changing my own destiny. 

I really don’t like the idea of concentrating power by government fiat in any group. I prefer a system where the individual is given as much freedom as they can handle. With a safety net for those who face physical, mental or social challenges. I have a developmentally delayed 38 year old daughter on SSI, and I myself just turned on Social Security, so I am sensitive to the issue of safety nets

5 hours ago, AgnesBardsie said:

Ugly as capitalism is, I prefer my chances there than in a top down controlled system.

Agreed. I'm only familiar with the situation in the States. It has a lot of issues. It is unfortunate that greedy corporate (explicitave) siphon as much money as they can from the working class to shove in their own pockets while exploiting tax loopholes to dodge putting anything back into the system. Meanwhile the working class who are getting sucked dry by the greedy corporate suits on one side, are also getting sucked dry on the other by the government because they are shouldering the entire tax burden on themselves. The politicians (on both sides) are sellouts to the greedy corporate suits, and give a ton of tax payer money directly back to the corporations in bail outs and incentives, which, instead of going to help the employees goes right back to the suit's pockets. As bad as that is (and it is bad), atleast there are multiple people at the top competing with each other for all the money in the world. In a top down system, there is just one mad sucking up everything he can.

I think the economic situation in the USA (and other places) is not really a Trans Issue.  

Of course we do have to live under it like everyone else.

I'm not convinced the system can't be improved, but that's another issue.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Heather Shay said:

For me it is allowing room and time for my spouse to go through grieving process and hopefully full acceptance.

yeah ik

• Forum Moderator

@Jakexxx3 Same here - so hard for her AND me. Totally understand and wish you success.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:50 PM, Heather Shay said:

@Jakexxx3 Same here - so hard for her AND me. Totally understand and wish you success.

it is so tricky is sucks

I constantly feel like I can't trust people. Needing to lie and hide, constantly worrying about some random bored crazy person having an extreme opinion, or ideas of some invisible entity deity telling them you're evil incarnate and must be purged.