• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Vulvoplasty?

Nora

Has anyone here gone with a partial vaginoplasty/partial depth vaginoplasty/minimal depth vaginoplasty/limited depth vaginoplasty/zero depth vaginoplasty/whatever-other-names-they-have-for-it??? How satisfied were you with the results? Anything you'd wished you had known in advance? I'm super curious and seriously considering it. ...Also kinda terrified lmao. XD 

Oh, and are there different kinds of partials? 

Ideally, I'd rather have a vaginal canal, but from what all I've read online about current methods, I'd be too terrified of the increased risks and complications and daily dilation. I'm currently asexual; I'm not interested in sex of any kind with anybody. But I also know that I haven't always been asexual, and I might not be in the future either, so I'd really LIKE a vaginal canal, so if there's like some new technique being done that mitigates the risks and doesn't require dilation, I'd definitely wanna go with that. Part of me wants to wait for whatever magical technology needs to be discovered before that can happen...but at the same time, I really don't want to wait until I'm middle-aged, so I'm really leaning towards partial vaginoplasty sooner rather than later and crossing my fingers in hopes that perhaps in the future they can construct a vaginal canal that doesn't have any risk of sealing itself shut. That really terrifies me lmao. And I SUCK at self-management enough as it is; I'd TOTALLY find a way to screw it up somehow LOL. ?

• Forum Moderator

I went with a "no cavity" vaginoplasty, a.k.a. "zero depth", a.k.a. vulvoplasty, etc.  It is not actually zero depth: I have a dimple about 3/4 of an inch deep where a vagina would be, so it doesn't look too weird on a quick glance.

I knew that there was no chance that I would ever want a penis anywhere near me (I find them, and often their owners, repulsive), so I had no need for a vagina.  Yes, girls sometimes play with toys, but my wife and I don't have much libido left, and she was never into toys.

With no compelling reason to have a vagina, I could not see any reason to put up with months of full-time dilation, years of daily dilation, and a lifetime of ongoing dilation.

I have no regrets about that decision.  What the surgeon gave me looks quite realistic.  It would require a very close inspection to see that it was not a cisgender vulva. 

I have other issues with ongoing pain and discomfort that make me question the wisdom of having GCS at all.  But that is not related to the full-depth versus shallow-depth decision.  On the whole, I am glad I had it, and I am very happy with my decision on the type of surgery.  Mine is just a b***h to live with.  So be sure you really want it before going ahead.

I'm pretty scared too and surgery is not high on my "want to do" list ;) 

Honestly I am hoping to just let everything atrophy and that'll get it close to nothing, not sure if that's even a possibility though.

16 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

I'm pretty scared too and surgery is not high on my "want to do" list ;) 

Honestly I am hoping to just let everything atrophy and that'll get it close to nothing, not sure if that's even a possibility though.

Same; I actually have a lifelong medical phobia lmao. Didn't realize I was trans until a couple years ago lol; (I'm 26 and three quarters. =P)

In regards to letting it atrophy close to nothing, I do believe it's possible, but if you decided you wanted GCS later on, it could make it more difficult. =/

If you're sure that's what you want though, I'd suggest letting HRT do most of the work for you, then training with a chastity cage, gradually decreasing the size of the cage over time...not sure of the possible health ramifications of micro-penis though. O.O

Oh! I just learned about a new experimental procedure or something where they use your cheek cells from inside your mouth to line the vaginal wall during vaginoplasty...or something like that; not sure what kind of technology could possibly do that, but I ain't a doctor. Allegedly, this method would eliminate the need for dilation, because the body registers the cheek cells as SKIN cells, and as a result, NOT register it as an open wound that needs to be healed shut, thus eliminating the need for dilating. 

Not sure how far away they are from commercial viability or if it's already something that's being offered to trans patients, but if it's not, I think I'd rather wait until it becomes safer and more mainstream....but at the same time, I really don't wanna risk waiting too long and regretting not having done something sooner. Ugh. ...I hate my brain lmao. =P

16 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

I have other issues with ongoing pain and discomfort that make me question the wisdom of having GCS at all.  But that is not related to the full-depth versus shallow-depth decision.  On the whole, I am glad I had it, and I am very happy with my decision on the type of surgery.  Mine is just a b***h to live with.  So be sure you really want it before going ahead.

How long ago was it? Are you still recovering...or is it due to complications? O.O
(Sorry if that's too personal. >.<)

16 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

I went with a "no cavity" vaginoplasty, a.k.a. "zero depth", a.k.a. vulvoplasty, etc.  It is not actually zero depth: I have a dimple about 3/4 of an inch deep where a vagina would be, so it doesn't look too weird on a quick glance.

I knew that there was no chance that I would ever want a penis anywhere near me (I find them, and often their owners, repulsive), so I had no need for a vagina.  Yes, girls sometimes play with toys, but my wife and I don't have much libido left, and she was never into toys.

I'm totally into boys lol. I've never actually been in a serious relationship with a girl before; came out to my parents (as gay) when I was a teenager. ....It still trips me out to think of myself as technically straight now; never thought I'd see the day LOL. ?

But yup; depending on my current personality, I'm totally into boys and all their various bits and pieces hehehe. XD

...Two of my other personalities are asexual; the other two are straight (now) lol. My head is weird. =P XD

8 hours ago, Nora said:

Same; I actually have a lifelong medical phobia lmao. Didn't realize I was trans until a couple years ago lol; (I'm 26 and three quarters. =P)

In regards to letting it atrophy close to nothing, I do believe it's possible, but if you decided you wanted GCS later on, it could make it more difficult. =/

If you're sure that's what you want though, I'd suggest letting HRT do most of the work for you, then training with a chastity cage, gradually decreasing the size of the cage over time...not sure of the possible health ramifications of micro-penis though. O.O

Yeah potential GCS is a concern that comes up every so often.  I don't know how I'll feel in 5 years or 10 years but right now (at 9 months HT) my main complaint is purely cosmetic and I can usually get by with a gaff in most circumstances.  My situation is also that I'm married, not sexually active and my self esteem is such that I can't imagine anyone wanting anything to do with this so the thought of having a need for a functional vagina is pretty alien to me.  Maybe if I'd done this 20 years ago...

For now I'm trying to be patient, hoping my HT will help and avoiding exercise for that area (not that I really have to avoid it per se, I really don't have much desire for any of that these days) so we'll see where it goes from here.  So far the needle hasn't moved much.  The cage idea is interesting, I knew of them but no actual hands-on experience so perhaps some reading is in order. ;)

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, Nora said:

How long ago was it? Are you still recovering...or is it due to complications? O.O
(Sorry if that's too personal. >.<)

A year and a half ago.  I was "recovered", in the sense that all the surgical wounds were fully healed, in the normal three months.  So I guess you'd call this a complication.

Not as far as the surgeon is concerned, though.  He can't see anything to fix: it all looks good to him.  So this is the rest of my life, apparently. :(

19 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

A year and a half ago.  I was "recovered", in the sense that all the surgical wounds were fully healed, in the normal three months.  So I guess you'd call this a complication.

Not as far as the surgeon is concerned, though.  He can't see anything to fix: it all looks good to him.  So this is the rest of my life, apparently. :(

Daaaaym! You should sue that guy! Who'd you go to? 

DO NOT just accept constant physical pain and discomfort as part of your life from now on; you can't be the first one this has happened to, and I'm positive there are surgeons willing to hear your case and have probably heard of it before and would be able to fix it. Please please don't accept this as your new normal. You deserve better. *big hugz* 

20 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

For now I'm trying to be patient, hoping my HT will help and avoiding exercise for that area (not that I really have to avoid it per se, I really don't have much desire for any of that these days) so we'll see where it goes from here.  So far the needle hasn't moved much.  The cage idea is interesting, I knew of them but no actual hands-on experience so perhaps some reading is in order. ;)

Same lol. I can't even remember the last time I climaxed lmao. I'm usually asexual though and have always kinda hated my little boy parts, specifically because they'd wanna wake up and play at the worst possible times lol. Needless to say, that NEVER happens anymore lmao. (I started HRT on February 1st of this year.) There's been a couple times where I actually TRIED getting aroused and had to GIVE UP because I got too tired LOL. ? 

5 hours ago, Nora said:

Same lol. I can't even remember the last time I climaxed lmao. I'm usually asexual though and have always kinda hated my little boy parts, specifically because they'd wanna wake up and play at the worst possible times lol. Needless to say, that NEVER happens anymore lmao. (I started HRT on February 1st of this year.) There's been a couple times where I actually TRIED getting aroused and had to GIVE UP because I got too tired LOL. ? 

JEALOUS!  I always hated mine as well mostly for the same reasons.  Let me just sleep through the night dammit! ;)  I feel like this is an unhealthy attitude, but I dream of a day when all that stuff stops working (I feel like a weirdo in that I haven't really lost any functionality, I just don't find anything satisfying anymore).  I started HT in December last year and while needs are definitely reduced I want them gone altogether.  I think I was hoping HT would help me become more asexual (in addition to all my other hopes for it) and it hasn't really worked out that way for me.

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Nora said:

DO NOT just accept constant physical pain and discomfort as part of your life from now on; you can't be the first one this has happened to, and I'm positive there are surgeons willing to hear your case and have probably heard of it before and would be able to fix it. Please please don't accept this as your new normal. You deserve better. *big hugz* 

There are no other surgeons covered by my insurance, and I can't afford to go elsewhere at my own expense.

I don't intend to do nothing, but whatever happens, it will not be surgery, and it will not be quick.  I am seeing my GP next month, and I intend to raise the issue with her.  Of course, that means getting her up to speed on post-op anatomy.  She sounds willing.  I also have an appointment with the only pelvic floor physiotherapist in the province with experience dealing with post-op trans women clients, but that is in January.

1 hour ago, KathyLauren said:

There are no other surgeons covered by my insurance, and I can't afford to go elsewhere at my own expense.

I don't intend to do nothing, but whatever happens, it will not be surgery, and it will not be quick.  I am seeing my GP next month, and I intend to raise the issue with her.  Of course, that means getting her up to speed on post-op anatomy.  She sounds willing.  I also have an appointment with the only pelvic floor physiotherapist in the province with experience dealing with post-op trans women clients, but that is in January.

I hope you find some options when you see your GP and physio!

16 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

JEALOUS!  I always hated mine as well mostly for the same reasons.  Let me just sleep through the night dammit! ;)  I feel like this is an unhealthy attitude, but I dream of a day when all that stuff stops working (I feel like a weirdo in that I haven't really lost any functionality, I just don't find anything satisfying anymore).  I started HT in December last year and while needs are definitely reduced I want them gone altogether.  I think I was hoping HT would help me become more asexual (in addition to all my other hopes for it) and it hasn't really worked out that way for me.

You'll get there! *big hugz* ☺️

Personally, I was already asexual long before I learned I was trans...I've been asexual ever since I was a little kid locked up in a psychoward where sex was used as currency; I can't even count in my head how many times I was raped....and so yeahhh...for some BAFFLING reason I just kinda sorta lost ALL interest in anything sexual! ?

...TMI? ?

12 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

@Nora well THAT deserves the Big Hugz!  ?

Thanks lol. Totally over it. Vengeance will come! ???
(...I use a lot of dark, defensive humor as social armor lol. ?)

9 hours ago, gina-nicole-t said:

@Nora I though about only having the zero-depth vaginaplasty surgery and being done with it. Then a trans woman I know in Vancouver B.C showed me a toy she uses and it totally changed my mind about the dilation, the second surgery to form the canal, and all the healing. I will probably never let a man near it, but to let some of these new toys have at it is totally worth it. Maybe I will find a woman; who knows.

Damn...that must've been quite the toy lol. ?

• 4 months later...

I have a question for us girls who had HAD a Vulvoplasty, Here it is.

I am considering vulvoplasty over vaginoplasty for my Gender Affirming surgery.

Is the scrotal sac required to be kept for vulvoplasty? If not, could/should I consider adding the scrotectomy in the same procedure to my upcoming simple bilateral orchiectomy?

It'd be Very helpful for an early reply, as My Orchi will be on Friday and I'll need to talk to my doctor maybe tomorrow or Tues.  TY, sisterz!   <Kj>

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Kjiersten said:

I have a question for us girls who had HAD a Vulvoplasty, Here it is.

I am considering vulvoplasty over vaginoplasty for my Gender Affirming surgery.

Is the scrotal sac required to be kept for vulvoplasty? If not, could/should I consider adding the scrotectomy in the same procedure to my upcoming simple bilateral orchiectomy?

It'd be Very helpful for an early reply, as My Orchi will be on Friday and I'll need to talk to my doctor maybe tomorrow or Tues.  TY, sisterz!   <Kj>

Keep everything except the testes themselves.  The scrotum skin is used to make the labia majora.  The scrotum in males and the labia majora in females are the same tissue, so using scrotum skin makes for realistic labia. 

Without scrotum skin, they would probably use a skin graft from your thigh or something, but the surgery will be more complex, and the results will be inferior.

• Forum Moderator

Hi,

Like Kathy said, it all depends on where you want to end up.  I got an orchidectomy last November and included the scrotectomy because I have no need nor any intention of going any further.  But if you plan on any further cosmetic surgery involving that area, then you need to leave it intact.  Plus your urologist/surgeon needs to know so that they can choose the best approach for minimal scaring.  It’s all up to you and your goals.

By the way, getting the orchidectomy has been good for me.  No more blockers, no more progesterone.  But I have midrange adult female estrogen levels in just one month post surgery.

Willow 

15 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Keep everything except the testes themselves.  The scrotum skin is used to make the labia majora.  The scrotum in males and the labia majora in females are the same tissue, so using scrotum skin makes for realistic labia. 

Without scrotum skin, they would probably use a skin graft from your thigh or something, but the surgery will be more complex, and the results will be inferior.

TY Kathy. I'll DEFinitely bear that in mind. Saves me chasing the Doctor tomorrow. Simple Orchi it is, then   ;*  ❤️  ❤️Kjiersten   <Kj>

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 6:55 AM, KathyLauren said:

Thread bump for a couple of questions. Does one need to have electrolysis for a zero-depth vaginoplasty? And you mentioned 3 months post-op recovery. Would that be a normal expectation, and how would it compare to a full v-plasty? My curiosity is piqued in that my insurance (Medicare+ BCBS) doesn't seem to cover MTF top surgery, but would cover the bottom. I don't think I really need the full deal at my age.

• Forum Moderator

Yes. It's my understanding that the areas that need to be cleared still need clearing. It's not as much as you'd think though. They're still using that scrotal skin for your labia after all.

I had full depth and it took me out of circulation for four months, but I was climbing the walls by the end of three and resumed normal activity a little early. It really depends on your health pre-surgery.

Hugs!

2 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Yes. It's my understanding that the areas that need to be cleared still need clearing. It's not as much as you'd think though. They're still using that scrotal skin for your labia after all.

I had full depth and it took me out of circulation for four months, but I was climbing the walls by the end of three and resumed normal activity a little early. It really depends on your health pre-surgery.

Hugs!

Thank-you. I assumed the clearing needed to be done because the skin would be used internally. Hoped it wouldn't be necessary "for external use only."