• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Therapist cancelled, devastated

Deanna Celia M

Was so excited about starting with a great therapist tomorrow. Cost would be $0 out of pocket since it was telemedicine so my spouse was pleased (didn't actually know what it was for though...)

They called this morning. Apparently since I live in PA and they are in NJ, the client confidentiality is not secure or something? The admin. person at the clinic said it's a law. I don't understand, I didn't think the internet was affected by state lines... So they can't see me. 

I live literally 2 miles from the NJ state line. My employer is in NJ and I have a NJ based insurance plan. 

I have been sobbing the last few hours.

Looking for a therapist in my state who does trans issues and telemedicine but there's nothing. Not even any in person in my area (which would mean a fairly hefty copay) taking new patients.

The therapist I had book was fairly far away but it was going to be online so...

My insurance website could be wrong, maybe there's more in my state who work online, but do I call them all to check?

Depressed and want to crawl into a hole... Feel like I was smacked down for having a stupid idea, maybe it is selfish to want to transition... 

There are online options like Folx but my family may not see that as legit and may see the cost as selfish when there are things they want for themselves and I am doing something "crazy." 

Other online counseling services cost even MORE than that and none take insurance of course.

Sorry just... Felt like my journey was started and now I'm on the side of the desolate road with a a smoking engine and no cell phone reception to call for a tow truck :(

I dont see what living in another state has to do with privacy. they still have to follow hippa which is federal. i would suggest callong

your ins and the Nj state ins dept

@Deanna Celia M I am sorry - that is a very discouraging experience. It can feel like a personal betrayal because so much was at stake for you, emotionally. Take some time to comfort yourself. Allow yourself to express feeling so upset and deflated. But, make a goal to pick up and carry on because these feelings will pass. Once you've collected yourself, call your insurance company, and speak with someone in behavioral health. Be prepared for a potentially long phone call, especially because insurance companies can leave you on hold for long periods of time sometimes, and they may transfer you to a few different people. Stay on the phone with them until you get answers to your questions. Write the questions down before you call, and keep a pad and pencil nearby when you speak with them. Try not to interpret this setback as any kind of "sign" that you don't deserve help, health and happiness because you definitely do. It's just a bureaucratic obstacle you've encountered, and that is unfortunately not atypical when it comes to dealing with healthcare and insurance. Try to see the effort of seeking out answers to these questions about your insurance as an act of self-care - you are doing it to take care of you and you deserve it. You may feel more frustration in the process of finding the answers, but you will feel accomplished once you do, and even more confident once you have a clearer path to finding a therapist. Just take your time, and wait a little while until you're ready to take on that challenge. Good luck and stay strong!

• Forum Moderator

@Deanna Celia M I don't know if this would work BUT - I wonder if it's possible for you to open a post office box in NJ and use that address to get around privacy issue. I seems to me that for ever rule made - there is some way to get around it.

I've heard of similar situations but if I remember correctly it wasn't about privacy, it was about a patient needing to live in a state the professional is licensed in.  I wonder if that was what they were trying to get across.  I may also be misremembering it. :P

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Kelly2509 said:

I've heard of similar situations but if I remember correctly it wasn't about privacy, it was about a patient needing to live in a state the professional is licensed in.

I think this may be what it was actually about, interstate commerce and crossing borders.  Last year as Covid set in many medical organizations moved to telemedicine and insurance companies paid claims. I got messages early in 2021 that if you lived out of state they would not be able to offer this.  I live in NH, but minutes from MA where all my doctors are.  So I understand your confusion and dismay.  

Oh, that sounds awful. It's happened to me, too.

My Fenway therapist was willing to see me after my first prescription for 12 visits, possibly for a longer term, but she just told me since she's moving out of state, she can't because of some law. That's awful--she turned out to be a great therapist.

I'm not sure of the details in the laws or why they exist at all. Seems it would benefit large health organizations in some way (they hold all the power), but I don't know for sure.

Is there anyone here on TP, who's a lawyer who could check this out?

This could be a far-reaching change for anyone needing help.

Hope this gets fixed.

-- Davie

to me it sounds like bs. when I lived in nj both me and my wife saw doctors in NYC with no problem. the same for people that go out of state for specialized heart or cancer care

I don't think it's BS, but it's a new rule. My therapist wouldn't do that. She was upset about it, too. Like to know the real story behind it. I'll look for an answer.

-- Davie

@Deanna Celia M Chin up girl! I'm sorry you hit a road block. If this journey was easy they'd let anybody do it. It took four months to see my therapist, I didn't know it at the time, but she was dealing with COVID. I'm so glad I waited, she's amazing & has been wonderful for me. She & my doctor blessed HRT two months ago, but the insurance said I needed 90 days seeing a therapist to start, that date was a month ago. I don't know why these delays happened, but they did. I quell the gender dysphoria to tolerable by doing what I can: dressing feminine or androgynous, working on my voice & make-up, a support group & this amazing forum. I'm working through a workbook I really like, titled You & Your Gender Identity by Dara Hoffman Fox.

Once when I was trying to get help for a child I had to politely ask for the specific cause of rejection, then persistently, not always patiently, appeal three times. They finally granted the treatment.

Not sure if it's your issue, but there are some interstate telehealth issues, and some states have entered a Compact to allow easier licensing; it appears neither NJ or PA have passed bills for it yet though. If the issue is on the PA side there was a note about an exception for areas close by in adjacent states.  

http://evisit.com/state-telemedicine-policy/pennsylvania/

Hugs!

Delcina

Thanks @Delcina B  . Yes, this complicated because medical licenses are issued  by states and the legal issues of inter-state practices have yet to be fully addressed. It's a legal mess, but it's not just BS. Some states have agreements and some don't. Your doctor or clinic will have more info.

Be persistent, Good luck.

-- Davie

So this I copied from my health provider about televisits:

"Due to the re-instatement of state and federal restrictions, as of August 31, 2021, Fenway Health will no longer be able to schedule telehealth visits for patients located outside of Massachusetts."

No explanation given.

Thank your own insurance companies and state politicians for this complication.

cheers,

Davie

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Davie said:

"Due to the re-instatement of state and federal restrictions, as of August 31, 2021, Fenway Health will no longer be able to schedule telehealth visits for patients located outside of Massachusetts."

From talking to my own therapist, it's probably a licensing issue. A lot of that got suspended during the worst of our COVID epidemic because telehealth was so important. Now that things are getting back to a semblance of normal, people are starting to look at what states they're licensed to work in.

If Fenway is only licensed to operate in Massachusetts their hands are kind of tied. I don't see the point either, but licensing requirements vary from state to state.

I hope you can find someone local to you who fits your needs!

Hugs!

Yes, thank you, Jackie. That all makes sense (not all of it good sense, but mostly some sense "I don't see the point either," LOL). I'm doing fine with what I can get which fills my needs if not my fears and dreams. With my regular Primary Care center I asked for a Gender Therapist and actually got one. So cool. Not sure they've had one before, so maybe this will do other trans folks some good. Asking is good, though we have to follow the rules to get coverage. Grateful for what I have including loving care here on TP.

-- Davie

Hi all I am sorry to go silent. Thank you for all of your responses. Been really down and stressed with the therapist thing and other issues. Spent a lot of time on my insurance website and on trans resource websites and sending out emails trying to find a new therapist.

After some googling, I believe the therapist cancelled me because the state of PA, which I live in, needs the credentials of providers doing telehealth for PA residents. They have allowed out of state providers to do telemedicine during the pandemic but they must submit credentials to some entity in PA. I doubt this therapist's office wanted to do this for me, I don't blame them.

The good news is I think I have a new therapist, they still have to confirm insurance (fingers crossed). Ironically, they are just down the road from me, even though it is going to be virtual sessions. If everything checks out I should have first session Friday evening. 

It does seem hard to find therapists who deal with trans issues. I was getting desperate, feeling like searching for a needle in a haystack...

I really want to thank everyone for their advice and support, sorry to be such an emotional wreck.  

@Deanna Celia M -- your perseverance paid off!  That's good news.  If your journey is anything like that of many of us, there will be other detours along the way.  But determination has a way of finding a way forward through the maze ?

Onward! 

Best wishes,

Astrid 

OK update--the new therapist appointment is confirmed for tomorrow evening, he looks like a good therapist, very excited.

I think the therapist may be a trans man based on the picture on their website (I know, kind of impolite to try and clock your therapist, but I'd feel very comfortable with a trans person).

Fingers crossed everything goes well, I am still nervous.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Deanna Celia M said:

I think the therapist may be a trans man based on the picture on their website (I know, kind of impolite to try and clock your therapist, but I'd feel very comfortable with a trans person).

I hope you're right. That can be a very rewarding experience when your therapist knows EXACTLY what you're going through.

Hugs!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 183 Guests (See full list)

• Mmindy
    • missyjo
    • VickySGV
    • Susie
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaeBe
    • EasyE
    • Evelyn J
    • Cavetowns_fkin_awesome
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Tami
    Newest Member
    Tami

1. Bebhar
      Bebhar
      (41 years old)
    2. caelensmom
      caelensmom
      (40 years old)
    3. Jani
      Jani
      (70 years old)
    4. Jessicapitts
      Jessicapitts
      (37 years old)
    5. klb046
      klb046
      (30 years old)
    • missyjo
      orange cotton top n sashed jeans..wedges off now..torrid undies in light blue bra n lace panties   I'm trying minimum makeup..shrugs..well see hugs if you want them
    • Abigail Genevieve
      It was hot that August day, even in Hall J.  Hall J was a freshman dormitory, and Odie had just unpacked his stuff.  He sat on the edge of his bed.  He had made it. He was here, five hundred miles away from home.  His two roommates had not arrived, and he knew no one. His whole life lay ahead of him, and he thought of the coming semester with excitement and dread.   No one knew him.  No one. Suddenly he was seized with a desire to live out the rest of his life as a woman.  With that, he realized that he had felt that way for a long time.  He had never laughed when guys made jokes about women, and often he felt shut out of certain conversations.  He was neither effeminate nor athletic, and he had graduated just fine, neither too high in his class to be considered a nerd or low enough to not get into this college, which was more selective than many. He was a regular guy.  He had dated some, he liked girls and they liked him.  He had friends, neither fewer than most nor more than most.   Drama club in high school: he had so wanted to try out for female parts but something held him back.  He remembered things from earlier in his life: this had been there, although he had suppressed it. Mom had caught him carrying his sister's clothes to his room when he was eight, shortly before the divorce, and he got thoroughly scolded.  They also made sure it never, ever happened again. He had always felt like that had contributed somehow to the divorce, but it was not discussed, either.  He was a boy and that was the end of it.   Dad was part of that.  He got Odie every other weekend from the time of the divorce and they went hunting, fishing, boating, doing manly things because Dad thought he should be a man's man. The first thing that always happened was the buzz cut.  Dad was always somewhat disappointed in Odie, it seemed, but never said why.  He was a hard man and he had contempt for sissies, although that was never directed at Odie. Mom always said she loved him no matter what, but never explained what that meant.   Odie looked through the Freshman Orientation Packed.  Campus map.  Letter from the Chancellor welcoming him.  Same from the Dean.  List of resources: health center, suicide prevention, and his heart skipped a beat: transgender support.  There was something like that here?   He tore off a small piece of paper.  With sweating hands he wrote on it "I need to be a girl." He looked at it, tore it up and put the different pieces in different trash cans, even one in a men's room toilet the men on this floor shared. He flushed it and made sure it went down.  No one had seen him; he was about the first to arrive.   He returned to his room.   He looked in the mirror.  He was five-ten, square jawed, crew cut.  Dad had seen to it that he exercised and he had muscles.  No, he said to himself, not possible. Not likely.  He had to study and he had succeeded so far by pushing this sort of thing into the back of his mind or wherever it came from.   A man was looking back at him, the hard, tough man Dad had formed him to be, and there was absolutely nothing feminine about any of it.  With that, Odie rejected all this stuff about being trans.  There had been a few of those in high school, and he had always steered clear of them.  A few minutes later he met his roommates.
    • EasyE
      yes, i agree with this ... i guess my biggest frustrations with all this are: 1) our country's insistence to legislate everything with regards to morals ... 2) the inability to have a good, thorough, honest conversation which wrestles with the nuances of these very complex issues without it denigrating to name-calling or identity politics.  agreed again... i still have a lot to learn myself ... 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      It's been bugging me that the sneakers I have been wearing are 1) men's and 2) I need canvas, because summer is coming.  WM has a blue tax on shoes, don't you know? My protocol is to go when there is no one in the ladies' area because I get looks that I don't like, and have been approached with a 'can I help you sir' in a tone than means I need to explain myself, at which point i become inarticulate.   But I found these canvas shoes.  Looking at them, to see if they would pass as male, I realized they might not, and furthermore, I don't really care.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      My wife's nurse was just here.  It is a whole lot easier to relate to her as another woman than to negotiate m/f dynamics and feel like I have to watch myself as a male around her.  It dropped a lot of the tension off, tension that I thought entirely internal to myself, but it made interactions a whole lot better.     I read your post, so I thought I would go look.   In the mirror I did not see a woman; instead I saw all these male features.  In the past that has been enough for me to flip and say 'this is all stupid ridiculous why do I do this I am never going to do this again I am going to the basement RIGHT NOW to get men's stuff and I feel like purging'.  Instead I smiled, shrugged my shoulders and came back here.  Panties fit, women's jeans fit.  My T shirt says DAD on it, something I do not want to give up, but a woman might crazily steal hubby's t-shirt and wear it.  I steal my own clothes all the time.    But she is here, this woman I liked it when I saw her yesterday. and her day will come.  I hope to see her again.
    • April Marie
      So many things become easier when you finally turn that corner and see "you" in the mirror. Shedding the guilt, the fear, the questioning becomes possible - as does self-love - when that person looking back at you, irrespective of what you're wearing, is the real you.   I am so happy for you!! Enjoy the journey and where it leads you.
    • MaeBe
      I'm sure even the most transphobic parents would, too. What does it hurt if a child socializes outside of their family in a way that allows them to understand themselves better? I have encountered a handful of kids do the binary, non-binary, back to binary route and they got to learn about themselves. In the end, there may have been some social self-harm but kids are so darned accepting these days. And really, schools aren't policing pronouns, but the laws that are coming out are making them do so--and in turn requiring a report to a parent that may cause some form of harm to the child.   If the kid wants to lie to, or keep secrets from, their parents about their gender expressions, what does it say about the parents? Perhaps a little socialization of their thoughts will give them the personal information to have those conversations with them? So when they do want to have that conversation they can do so with some self-awareness. This isn't a parent's rights issue, it's about forcing a "moral code" onto schools that they must now enforce--in a way that doesn't appreciably assist parents or provide benefit to children.   So, a child that transitioned at 5 and now in middle/high school that is by all rights female must now go into a bathroom full of dudes? What about trans men, how will the be treated in the girl's restroom? I see a lot of fantasy predator fearmongering in this kind of comment. All a trans kid wants to do in a bathroom is to handle their bodily functions in peace. Ideally there would be no gendered restrooms or, at least, a valid option for people to choose a non-gendered restroom. However, where is the actual harm happening? A trans girl in a boy's room is going experience more harm than a girl being uncomfortable about a trans girl going into and out of a stall.   How about we teach our children that trans people aren't predators who are trying to game the system to eek out some sexual deviancy via loophole? How about we treat gender in a way that doesn't enforce the idea that girls are prey and boys are  predators? How about we teach them trans kids are just kids who want to get on with their day like everyone else?
    • Adrianna Danielle
      I hope so and glad he loves and accepts me for who I am
    • EasyE
      It is sad that we can't have more open and honest dialogue on these types of topics because there is worthy debate for sure. But instead we have become a country where the only goal is to seize political power and then legislate our particular agenda and views of morality.   Remember as you read my thoughts below, that I am transgender. OK? I am pro-trans. I am trans.   But my middle school aged daughter would be extremely uncomfortable using a school bathroom also used by a biological male, as would nearly all of her friends. That side has to be considered. It's not invalidating to a trans youth's experience to take that into account and hash out what is for the common good of as many people as possible. This is reality - one person's gender expression makes others uncomfortable, in all directions. And there is disagreement on the best way to handle these types of things.   Why can't we talk about these things openly, without the inevitable name-calling that follows, and let all sides have their input and work up suitable solutions? (I bet the kids, if left alone, would work up the best solutions)... Instead, we go straight to trying to pass laws, as if we need more of those!   And why wouldn't we want parents to know if their child has decided to change their pronouns? That's a big deal and parents are right to raise that as a concern. I certainly would want to know. Not that we need to legislate this, but I would have a hard time with school administrators who try to hide this from me. They are out of line. This is my child. Whether you like my viewpoints or not, I am the parent. Not the school.    Again, I am pro-trans. I am trans. At the same point, I recognize that validating a transgender individual's gender identity doesn't trump everything else in society. And sometimes I see that creeping into these discussions. Plus, we fight a losing battle if we have to have others' validation. We are never going to get it from everybody. Ever. Not even Jesus got it and He is God himself!   This country can be very beautiful as we each exercise our freedom to be who we are and let others do the same. But my freedom ends where yours begins and vice-versa. That requires self-sacrifice. Sometimes we have to fall back out of respect for others. Sometimes we have to let the parent be the parent even if we disagree with their politics.   My cry in the wilderness is just can we please have more open, honest dialogue where both sides try take the other's views into consideration and quit automatically going the legislative route to criminalize the other side's viewpoints.   Sorry for the rant but sometimes all of this wears me out... deep sigh... 
    • RaineOnYourParade
      Bite by bite, acrobatics in abdomen
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Yesterday when I put that shirt on I saw a woman looking back out of the mirror at me.  Usually I have looked and been very frustrated because I see a man where there should be a woman.  I was expecting to see a man wearing a woman's shirt, but it was a woman wearing a woman's shirt.   On the spectrum between intersex and trans, I am more thinking I am a lot more intersex than trans, and it is only a matter of time before my wife says "you need a bra" and then "you look like a woman!" She told me whatever I want to do is fine with her, she loves me no matter what, and I am thinking that there may be a lot more for her in this than she could possibly expect. I'm not pushing it with her.
    • Petra Jane
      We have been asked to post this study.   I'm an undergraduate university student in my third year completing a BSc in Anthropology. I'm working on my dissertation, looking at languages with grammatical gender (e.g. languages like Italian and Spanish, nouns are either masculine or feminine). I'm curious if this affects/bothers people with gender identities outside the typical binary of male and female, like non-binary or transgender identities. Using this forum, I would be very grateful if anyone could answer the 5 questions I have put together in a Google form, they are open-ended questions, and you can be as brief or detailed as you want/comfortable with! All responses will also be kept anonymous. As you can probably guess, I came to online forums because finding participants in person is difficult. Talking about gender identities, I understand, can be very personal, so this online anonymised format can be safer. :) If anyone is also particularly interested in this topic, it would be awesome to message one-on-one and do the Google form survey. Having one and one interviews would also be good research! But NONE of this is compulsory, and only if anyone is interested and doesn't mind helping me out and can do so. Institution Supervising Research Study University of Kent Web Address for Study Participation https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdS9zU_dt3RR1V8-3s_0EnDl6w-jsS6-WOZO41uWeqUP0q_YQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.