• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Ideology?

Jandi

This subject came up on another thread, and it was suggested it might belong here instead.

But the question I ask is Is there such a thing as a "Transgender Ideology"? 

and maybe related: An LGBTQ Agenda?

Seems to me like the only "ideology" involved is in these attacks on transgender people.

I don't see me being a trans-woman (or whatever I call myself) is an ideology, it is just who I am.

Is my existence an ideology?  Is my cis ex's existence an ideology?  What exactly is an "ideology" anyway?

One quote I have heard is: "Yes, there is a transgender agenda:  Treat us like human beings.  That is it!"

Webster's defines ideoloby as:

a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.
"the ideology of democracy"

I think that @KathyLauren has it right. Just treat me as a person. If there's an ideology in that, then it seems to me it's pretty universal...

But, "treat us like human beings" is already taken as an ideology. Please see the Preamble of the US Constitution: "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." Therefore the so-called LGBT ideology is not at all at odds with American ideology (nor is it at odds with that of any nation whose ideology ostensiby promotes life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all citizens). 

On the other hand, any belief system which actively seeks to subvert aspiring to continually become a more perfect Union, or to repress the "general Welfare" and "Blessings" of anyone, let alone entire categories of people, I would consider a counter ideology, and an evil one at that. 

1 hour ago, Vidanjali said:

On the other hand, any belief system which actively seeks to subvert aspiring to continually become a more perfect Union, or to repress the "general Welfare" and "Blessings" of anyone, let alone entire categories of people, I would consider a counter ideology, and an evil one at that. 

Powerful argument!

That's right kids, blame the Trans Community.

We have billions in offshore untaxed assests, the most powerful lobbys, media consolidation and we're all coming to pee in your bathrooms and exploit YOU!

3 hours ago, stveee said:

That's right kids, blame the Trans Community.

We have billions in offshore untaxed assests, the most powerful lobbys, media consolidation and we're all coming to pee in your bathrooms and exploit YOU!

Don’t forget we want to teach Critical Gender Theory in public schools too!

1 hour ago, Erica Gabriel said:

I got to be honest with you. I don't want any of these public educators teaching anything related to social or gender issues whatsoever.

Having two kids who went through the public school system (high school) recently and listening to the stories of what they did in class astounded me.

I would honestly say that 33% of these teachers are using classroom students as a captive audience to bolster their own (teacher) personal views. Topics such as politics, personal issues, and social issues often creep in during class time. These teachers often get in arguments / discussions with their spouse, other teachers, or other members of the community and these discusssions end up manifestng themself as elements in classroom discussion.  It's bad. And its not a specificy type of teacher, i.e. republican, liberal, "male", or "female". It is all of them.

The line between edducator and person is definitely being blurred by a lot of these teachers. And I'll be honest, I am not in an economically challenged, politically charged town. 

So this transie votes no so attention Het, Trans Hating conservative community, don't blame me.

8 hours ago, MelanieTamara said:

I got to be honest with you. I don't want any of these public educators teaching anything related to social or gender issues whatsoever.

Having two kids who went through the public school system (high school) recently and listening to the stories of what they did in class astounded me.

8 hours ago, MelanieTamara said:

I  couldn't agree more with you, Meanie. I still recall when my oldest daughter came home from kindergarten talking about how Martin Luther King was a great PRESIDENT. Great American--Yes. Great civil rights leader--Yes, absolutely. Great role model--No question. But he was never elected to any public office. When I confronted the teacher and principal about this, their defense was "Well, he should have been president." 

That's the public school system in a nutshell.  Oh, and for the record, the school district is consistently ranked among the best in the nation.

I think a teacher has to be careful not to present their opinions as facts.

I do have a problem when whole subjects are forbidden to be discussed, especially in the higher grade levels.

What is so controversial about just acknowledging the existence of gender non-conforming people?  I mean, we're actually out here in the world in front of God and everybody.

• Admin

Sadly, in many places Public Schools have become more "public mind" and less "school" where intelligent teachers can help students develop skills of fact finding.

Lets also be careful about the name calling and criticism of teachers here.  They do have to respond to their communities and what those communities demand be taught to their children.  This holds as an anvil above the head of the most competent and intelligent teachers, many of whom are in despair over the situation which grows worse.

12 hours ago, Erica Gabriel said:

I did read this as a joke...

12 hours ago, MelanieTamara said:

I would honestly say that 33% of these teachers are using classroom students as a captive audience to bolster their own (teacher) personal views.

I agree that teachers who use their position as a soapbox to proclaim any personal views are acting inappropriately and irresponsibly. That said, I would guess that the proportion of teachers who engage in such unprofessional behavior varies greatly from school to school, and from region to region. However, knowing that typically a teacher pursues such a vocation due to their passion for learning and serving, and definitely not for the salary (!!), I would venture a guess that overall, teachers who engage in such behavior are in a small minority. Moreover, there exist well-crafted balanced education programs that teach people about sexual and gender diversity. Indeed, there are professionals who specialize in this vein of curriculum development and delivery. To me, it does not seem unreasonable that public school teachers could be trained in effectively and safely delivering such curriculum. Considering that most public schools teach sex ed at some point, it seems to me that the curriculum therein could and ought to be updated to include a wider diversity of extant experiences.  

2 hours ago, Jandi said:

I think a teacher has to be careful not to present their opinions as facts.

I do have a problem when whole subjects are forbidden to be discussed, especially in the higher grade levels.

What is so controversial about just acknowledging the existence of gender non-conforming people?  I mean, we're actually out here in the world in front of God and everybody.

Yes, this speaks to the call for meaningful, diverse, inclusive, fact-driven, well-crafted curriculum. In my opinion, proactively pursuing such updated curriculum and compensating teachers for time spent being trained on it, is a better and more productive solution to the problem of preventing teachers from potentially deviating from the given curriculum to assert any personal viewpoints. Instead, the tendency is to criticize, vilify and then repress all teachers for the sins of the few. It is completely counter to the goal of education, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Sadly, in many places Public Schools have become more "public mind" and less "school" where intelligent teachers can help students develop skills of fact finding.

Lets also be careful about the name calling and criticism of teachers here.  They do have to respond to their communities and what those communities demand be taught to their children.  This holds as an anvil above the head of the most competent and intelligent teachers, many of whom are in despair over the situation which grows worse.

Also, sadly higher education has become a business in which students are customers and graduates are the product. 

And hear! hear! re: the second paragraph.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• Hannah Renee
    • Jackie C.