Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where to Start?


Dartti Dare

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to quickly ask concerning YouTube voice training videos... WHERE DO I SRART! ? Does anyone have any suggestions? I no sooner find a YouTuber that seems good, start watching their videos and then they stop because now they want you to continue with privet lessons for money. Not an option for me. Or, I find someone that I like but I cant figure out which videos to start and then continue with. No one ever says "Start with THIS video, then watch this One, then THAT one...", and so froth. Any opinions on who worked for you and are they easy to navigate? I REALLY want to start working on my voice. It's the only thing left (that i feel that is in my control) that is causing me serious dysphoria. 

 

Thanks and love you all. ?

-Dartti

Link to comment

transvoicelessons  My speech pathologist actually references their work from time to time so I consider it a fairly good resource.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

transvoicelessons  My speech pathologist actually references their work from time to time so I consider it a fairly good resource.

I've heard good things about her also. She did post a video recently for beginners, but like all the other Tubers, after that you're kinda left floundering as how to where to go after that. She is someone I will decently look closer into though. (albeit, she get's a little too technical at times)  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dartti Dare said:

she get's a little too technical at times

Yeah that's my only beef.  Sometimes she gets into areas where I just dont understand things and I suspect there is technical stuff ahe covered in other videos that i just haven't learned.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

Yeah that's my only beef.  Sometimes she gets into areas where I just dont understand things and I suspect there is technical stuff ahe covered in other videos that i just haven't learned.

? Yeah. You can tell by the stuff that surrounds her she's a pro but I think she also forgets sometimes we're not all sound engineer geeks. 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Dartti Dare said:

Just wanted to quickly ask concerning YouTube voice training videos... WHERE DO I SRART! ? Does anyone have any suggestions? I no sooner find a YouTuber that seems good, start watching their videos and then they stop because now they want you to continue with privet lessons for money. Not an option for me. Or, I find someone that I like but I cant figure out which videos to start and then continue with. No one ever says "Start with THIS video, then watch this One, then THAT one...", and so froth. Any opinions on who worked for you and are they easy to navigate? I REALLY want to start working on my voice. It's the only thing left (that i feel that is in my control) that is causing me serious dysphoria. 

 

Thanks and love you all. ?

-Dartti

I started watching YouTube videos. I like “This is your girl Z” - TransVoiceLessons. She is a bit technical but I find that background theory helpful. She talks about R1 and R2 resonance, forward resonance in the mask, manipulating the space in the vocal tract to change pitch, and goes into some detail technically on how that happens.

 

I started voice therapy at Kaiser last week and shared my understanding about voice dynamics and where my voice sits on the spectrum and I was speaking her language and we progressed fairly rapidly through some diagnostics and she prescribed some daily exercises until the next meeting. Mostly practice feeling a buzzing sensation in the mouth, tongue and cheeks on certain consonants, especially words and phrases containing “m” and “n”.

 

I had an appointment with a throat doctor this morning to explore a tracheal shave and he talked at length about the difference between a male and a female voice, especially when there has been trauma. A female may be speaking in a very low hoarse whisper but it’s still recognizable as female due to speech patterns and intonation. He thinks this is a stronger marker even than pitch or resonance.

 

I also ran across this while googling this subject. It’s fro 2005 but it’s very practical and hands on. It compares the process to learning a foreign language…

https://www.genderlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/voicebook020.pdf

 

food for though…

Link to comment
22 hours ago, AgnesBardsie said:

I started watching YouTube videos. I like “This is your girl Z” - TransVoiceLessons. She is a bit technical but I find that background theory helpful. She talks about R1 and R2 resonance, forward resonance in the mask, manipulating the space in the vocal tract to change pitch, and goes into some detail technically on how that happens.

 

I started voice therapy at Kaiser last week and shared my understanding about voice dynamics and where my voice sits on the spectrum and I was speaking her language and we progressed fairly rapidly through some diagnostics and she prescribed some daily exercises until the next meeting. Mostly practice feeling a buzzing sensation in the mouth, tongue and cheeks on certain consonants, especially words and phrases containing “m” and “n”.

 

I had an appointment with a throat doctor this morning to explore a tracheal shave and he talked at length about the difference between a male and a female voice, especially when there has been trauma. A female may be speaking in a very low hoarse whisper but it’s still recognizable as female due to speech patterns and intonation. He thinks this is a stronger marker even than pitch or resonance.

 

I also ran across this while googling this subject. It’s fro 2005 but it’s very practical and hands on. It compares the process to learning a foreign language…

https://www.genderlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/voicebook020.pdf

 

food for though…

Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dartti Dare said:

Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out.

Here’s another good source

 

HOW TO: Move your larynx without tension (PART TWO)

HALLOWEEN EDITION! 
Get your treat at undeadvoice.com/treat

The theme this month is the larynx. 

Today, we’re going to talk about how to engage and make stable the upper part of the web. The upper web starts again at the hyoid bone, the top of the larynx, and inserts into the floor of the mouth, the mandible or jaw, and up behind the ear. 

STEP ONE: Hold out the sound "ooo" and flare your nostrils. 
STEP TWO: Eavesdrop behind you, feeling your ears go up and back, aligning over your shoulders and hold out "ooo". 
STEP THREE: Do both of those together (ear align + nostril flare)

It brightens because by engaging the nostrils and ears, you’re stabilizing the upper part of the web. And because the upper is taut and the bottom web is not, the spider goes up. 

So that’s your trick of the week. For your treat go to: undeadvoice.com/treat 

❤ Nicole Gress

Link to comment

Ashley Adamson on YouTube has just a single video on voice (and hers is fantastic), but she describes everything in easy to understand terms. She doesn't get all technical. That could be a good, easy to understand starting point. I'm gonna check out the other resources here too. Achieving a feminine voice is my biggest concern since my job involves tons of public speaking.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

First, it helps to understand what you need to do with your sound-making parts of the body ?

Zheanna from TransVoiceLessons is fantastic. For me, it really clicked after watching this video of hers with a clear 3-step process:

The Art of Voice Feminization | Part 2A: Larynx Basics, How to Raise the Larynx, and Common Issues - YouTube

 

Also, this course on Reddit provides a lot of information and links:

L's Voice Training Guide (Level 1) for MTF transgender vocal feminization : transvoice (reddit.com)

 

And when you understand what to do, just practice, practice, practice:

Harvard Sentences with Lyrics - YouTube

 

Good luck! ?

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

    • Kate Rascali
    • Halelly
    • Kylie
    • MomTGDaughter
    • Monique Fish
    • Astrid
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      77.5k
    • Total Posts
      729.3k
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,226
    • Most Online
      8,356

    Newest Member
    MichealAngelo
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AnddyWillBeOkay
      AnddyWillBeOkay
    2. GrowinPains
      GrowinPains
      (46 years old)
    3. Joolz
      Joolz
    4. sheedikhan
      sheedikhan
      (41 years old)
    5. Stephaniew
      Stephaniew
      (56 years old)
  • Posts

    • Astrid
      I'm now 3 years into HRT and have taken a targeted rather than "everyone must know" approach.  For most people I casually know, for example, I have not hidden my (gradual) changes, but have not made it a point to announce anything.  My philosophy has been "why should the burden be on me to be public, and it be widespread knowledge, about my gender identify?"   There's also a safety aspect to this.   Glad you raised this as a question, @Abigail Eleanor -- it's a good one.   Astrid
    • Davie
      "Coyote" by Joni Mitchell, solo acoustic.  (Live at Gordon Lightfoot's Home with Bob Dylan & Roger McGuinn, 1975)
    • Astrid
      Welcome, @Ay-la!  If you like, feel free to ask any questions or join in any of the discussions and forum topics here.  We're very supportive and affirming of each other here.   Best wishes,   Astrid
    • Ivy
      Welcome Ay-la 
    • KathyLauren
      Welcome, @Ay-la!  It's a good group of people around here.   I lived in BC for a few years.  Now I am at the other side of the country.  Nice that your partner is supportive!   Regards, Kathy
    • Hannah Renee
      Anecdotally, things morning my daughter used her Snapchat app to see what I would look like with a couple of different hairstyles and makeup. I showed the screenshots to o couple of ladies at work, one of whom knows I'm transgender. Not sure if the other one does (typical at my work). They both said I look prettier the way I am. Other than that, out in public - in stores or other interactions - being addressed as ma'am, men going out of their way to hold a door open for me, any number of little things go a long way towards knowing that I'm passing. Nobody has ever overtly made a reference to whether or not I'm passing.   As has been said, self-confidence in the way you present yourself goes a long way. How you dress, walk, gesture - sure. But like in the movies, act like you belong. Own it.
    • VickySGV
      Welcome to the Forums.  We try to keep it a good friendly place, so feel at home and comment on others topics to give or get advice and some friendship.
    • Ay-la
      Hi all, 49 and based in BC, Canada, I’m finally pursuing my transition overcoming decades of barriers and minimizing my own needs. Trans feminine and genderqueer, I’m lucky to have a supportive partner and kids at home, but a small social circle otherwise, because, introvert… So, quiet and prone to lurking, but I’m trying to break out of my shell a bit as I am craving some community.    looking forward to meeting folks here.   -A.
    • Abigail Eleanor
      Bumping this old thread because this caught my eye. This is pretty much my strategy and I'm hoping it'll work.   @tesla1026 if you spot this did you try this idea? How did it go?   Would love to hear from anyone who's tried this gradual progression technique rather that make an announcement.
    • Ivy
      Better than nothing 
    • Kasumi63
      Living in Japan, I have a very different experience, so I'm curious how you guys know whether you are "passing" or not. In other words, do people overtly tell you? Or is it something more subtle? Over here, people never say anything, and to be honest, I sometimes find this frustrating because I would like a little bit of feedback about how I'm doing. Or even just tips on where I could improve. Part of the problem is language, I guess. In Japanese, pronouns are rarely used, so it's easy to avoid referring to someone's gender. People also are extremely reluctant to say anything unpleasant or mean to others. So are there any ways to get some objective feedback? (Disclaimer:  I agree that we tend to put too much emphasis on "passing," but I do want to keep improving.)
    • Kasumi63
      As a non-Christian living in a heathen land (the Japanese have a very long history of rejecting Christianity), I thoroughly enjoy smashing these Christmas lights. LOL. Of course, Christmas isn't nearly as depressing now that I'm living here, but even with all the distance, the holidays usually get me down. Now if only I had some lights to smash in person!
    • Kasumi63
      Thank you, guys, for all the positive comments. Japan has a long way to go, especially with updating its backward laws, but it's great to see people changing their attitudes. Over a dozen students and a handful of teachers have come up to me to tell my they saw me on TV and to voice their support. I'm as happy as I look in the video!
    • VickySGV
      I just read an announcement from the Los Angeles LGBT Center that describes the victim as one of their employees, and does mention fears of violence against people.  LALGBT Canter stuff is being circulated to all regional Centers it seems.  The woman was popular and loved.
    • KathyLauren
      Got the letter today.  Yes, they officially recognize that my hearing loss was caused by my military service, and I will be getting a small monthly payment as compensation.  Nice!  Well, not nice that I am losing my hearing, but nice to get compensated.

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...