• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Was it fast for others?

Iris C

I started hormone therapy 2 weeks ago. I know you are supposed to get a loss of libido at 1 month but it happened after 2 days. I know Breast growth starts at 3 months but it is going mental. I just about can't wear a t-shirt anymore and my wife concurs. I am already putting on flab on my butt and losing strength. I used to have to shave full body every 3 days. Now it is a week and I still look ok. I have been using IPL for 2 months but changes weren't noticeable until the hormones. I am using a testosterone blocker cyprostat and estrodot patches. Very few mental changes just feeling a lot quieter inside and have had a fair amount of anxiety. Any insight from experienced ladies would be really helpful!

Edited by Charlize
Dosage information removed
  • 2 weeks later...

I would guess since we are all wired a little differently, and our chemistry isn’t the same, we may have different timelines with HRT. And then there are the variables as to the particular HRT regimen we’re on, age, etc.

I’m on oral Estradiol only, nothing else, 3 months and what I noticed most was some minor widening of my hips. A little breast growth. Not much change in mood or hair growth or skin softness or anything else. But I didn’t want to push it as my goal was to relieve dysphoria more than create quick physical changes.

So I’d say your combination of higher dose patch plus blockers is moving you along quickly! did you get your E and T levels checked at 1 month and at 3 months? 

2 weeks?  That sounds insanely fast bordering on unbelievable.  If that's happening I have no advice aside from you may want to discuss it with your doctor?  According to my doc things aren't supposed to move *that* quickly and the faster things move the lower the ceiling for results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, Desert Fox said:

I would guess since we are all wired a little differently, and our chemistry isn’t the same, we may have different timelines with HRT. And then there are the variables as to the particular HRT regimen we’re on, age, etc.

I’m on oral Estradiol only, nothing else, 3 months and what I noticed most was some minor widening of my hips. A little breast growth. Not much change in mood or hair growth or skin softness or anything else. But I didn’t want to push it as my goal was to relieve dysphoria more than create quick physical changes.

So I’d say your combination of higher dose patch plus blockers is moving you along quickly! did you get your E and T levels checked at 1 month and at 3 months? 

Thank you for your feedback. I have a follow up with tests scheduled for 3 months. 5 weeks now and a full A cup, a total roller coaster of emotions, fatigue, facial rounding, skin thinning and softening and body hair radically lightened. Getting psychological help to deal with the physiological changes, so will hang in until then. Pleased to hear your disphoria is being handled in such a measured way. 

On 11/2/2021 at 12:16 PM, Kelly2509 said:

2 weeks?  That sounds insanely fast bordering on unbelievable.  If that's happening I have no advice aside from you may want to discuss it with your doctor?  According to my doc things aren't supposed to move *that* quickly and the faster things move the lower the ceiling for results.

Thank you for your feedback. I have a follow up with tests scheduled for 3 months. 5 weeks now and a full A cup, a total roller coaster of emotions, fatigue, facial rounding, skin thinning and softening and body hair radically lightened. Getting psychological help to deal with the physiological changes, so will hang in until then. I take your warning to heart and will definitely address it with the endocrinologist. I am hoping instead of it being a problem it's my DNA grabbing onto this opportunity. 

9 hours ago, Iris C said:

I am hoping instead of it being a problem it's my DNA grabbing onto this opportunity. 

I would hope so too, if so it's something to celebrate! :)

for context, and we all move at different rates, I'm almost 11 months and haven't experienced pretty much anything you describe yet aside from some breast development (I'm kind of in the A/B range).  Glad you're seeing a therapist to help deal with the emotions, I had scheduled mine aggressively those first couple months expecting a roller coaster but it just never happened.  Best wishes!

• Forum Moderator

One of the more common expressions here and on other trans forums is "YMMV": your mileage may vary.  The changes you experienced after two weeks are fast, but not unheard-of.  After two weeks, I could feel my nipples tingling, and after four weeks, I needed a sports bra to keep the girls in control.  On the other hand, after the first few months, they slowed right down, and I have never quite reached an A-cup.

HRT is definitely a gamble.  One well worth taking, but you never know until it happens how it is going to turn out.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

One of the more common expressions here and on other trans forums is "YMMV": your mileage may vary.  The changes you experienced after two weeks are fast, but not unheard-of.  After two weeks, I could feel my nipples tingling, and after four weeks, I needed a sports bra to keep the girls in control.  On the other hand, after the first few months, they slowed right down, and I have never quite reached an A-cup.

HRT is definitely a gamble.  One well worth taking, but you never know until it happens how it is going to turn out.  Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It has been very helpful to hear exactly how YMMV is experienced by the members here. 

14 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

I would hope so too, if so it's something to celebrate! :)

for context, and we all move at different rates, I'm almost 11 months and haven't experienced pretty much anything you describe yet aside from some breast development (I'm kind of in the A/B range).  Glad you're seeing a therapist to help deal with the emotions, I had scheduled mine aggressively those first couple months expecting a roller coaster but it just never happened.  Best wishes!

Heading towards a B cup girl,  that's more than usual,  great! I don't know if you are on testosterone blocker but that I found hard to deal with since my energy source (libido) has been greatly reduced. I have been having to learn to replace it with an emotional tank of energy which is absolutely mind bending and well worth the therapy. 

10 hours ago, Iris C said:

I don't know if you are on testosterone blocker but that I found hard to deal with since my energy source (libido) has been greatly reduced. I have been having to learn to replace it with an emotional tank of energy which is absolutely mind bending and well worth the therapy. 

I'm not, but being on injections my T gets suppressed without the addition of blockers.  Because of my particular circumstances the loss of libido was a welcome change for me and I get upset when it tries to return ;)  I have done a lot of therapy over the last 2 years though and have learned to get my joy and be energized by other things that I have more control over.

• Forum Moderator
On 11/11/2021 at 7:49 AM, KathyLauren said:

One of the more common expressions here and on other trans forums is "YMMV": your mileage may vary. 

This acronym "YMMV" is so true for the life experiences we all have. @Iris C the best thing I hear in this thread is to keep your health care team, and yourself fully aware of changes and experiences between visits. Make notes or journal them so you remember them accurately.

Best wishes, stay positive, and safe,

Mindy??️‍⚧️?

• Forum Moderator

According to my endocrinologist you can’t predict how it will affect you or how much you will change.  He did say the younger you are when you start the better the results usually are.  I was told at my age not to expect anything so everything would be welcome. A 38B padded fits me nicely.

Willow

15 hours ago, Mmindy said:

This acronym "YMMV" is so true for the life experiences we all have. @Iris C the best thing I hear in this thread is to keep your health care team, and yourself fully aware of changes and experiences between visits. Make notes or journal them so you remember them accurately.

Best wishes, stay positive, and safe,

Mindy??️‍⚧️?

100%. I found a brilliant app called My Diary and I have journalled every day with photos. I have used it several times already to work out the negative impact of doing certain things I used to be able to do easily but cannot any more. 

14 hours ago, Willow said:

According to my endocrinologist you can’t predict how it will affect you or how much you will change.  He did say the younger you are when you start the better the results usually are.  I was told at my age not to expect anything so everything would be welcome. A 38B padded fits me nicely.

Willow

Thanks for the insight willow.  I am 51 and was acutely aware that time was running out for me. So excited that changes are happening. Nearly 6 weeks and have put on 4cm on my breasts and 3cm on my hips, so it seems as if timing has been perfect. Why I say perfect? I needed the first 50 years to raise a family, be a good dad and build a career then business. Now I am excited about the next 30 years. 

16 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

I'm not, but being on injections my T gets suppressed without the addition of blockers.  Because of my particular circumstances the loss of libido was a welcome change for me and I get upset when it tries to return ;)  I have done a lot of therapy over the last 2 years though and have learned to get my joy and be energized by other things that I have more control over.

Please can you share what some of those things are if it is not too personal because I am trying to work out my energy sources? Is it all emotional? 

16 hours ago, Iris C said:

Please can you share what some of those things are if it is not too personal because I am trying to work out my energy sources? Is it all emotional? 

well I realize it might depend on what you consider energy sources, so I may be talking about other things.  But with that in mind, I have done a lot of journaling to get thoughts both good and bad out of my head, occasional meditation, and just kind of trying to take a moment every so often to find something to be happy about or look forward to each day.  For example this past thursday I had a voice session and I love my speech pathologist so looking forward to seeing her and then being able to spend time with her really "filled my bucket" to use a phrase my kids used to use in elementary school.  Or this morning my wife and I took our daughter out shopping for winter boots, she found some she liked and was marching around the house with a big smile on her face trying to do high kicks.  She's 14 and it was so refreshing to see her so happy that it has totally made my day.  These are the kinds of things that would have been way below the radar for me previously but now they recharge my batteries.

10 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

well I realize it might depend on what you consider energy sources, so I may be talking about other things.  But with that in mind, I have done a lot of journaling to get thoughts both good and bad out of my head, occasional meditation, and just kind of trying to take a moment every so often to find something to be happy about or look forward to each day.  For example this past thursday I had a voice session and I love my speech pathologist so looking forward to seeing her and then being able to spend time with her really "filled my bucket" to use a phrase my kids used to use in elementary school.  Or this morning my wife and I took our daughter out shopping for winter boots, she found some she liked and was marching around the house with a big smile on her face trying to do high kicks.  She's 14 and it was so refreshing to see her so happy that it has totally made my day.  These are the kinds of things that would have been way below the radar for me previously but now they recharge my batteries.

Oh wow Kelly. Yes yes yes, that is what I am also learning! I am really savoring those moments and working hard to utilize them to fill my bucket. Also impressed that you are also still married. My children are 20 and 16 and my wife is still committed after 26 years of marriage!